Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Night surfing
Quote | Reply
Stumbled across this story today. Not so much dedicated night surfing but I do remember being in the water when it was dark, either pre dawn or after sunset. I can relate to the part about spotting waves in the dark. Plus being more freaked out about sharks. Pretty cool with the glow sticks

Also notable from the comment section. Diving after dark. Got to do that in Aruba a few times and totally different experience.

https://www.nytimes.com/...or-surfing.html?_r=0

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Night surfing [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know nuthin' about night surfing, but:

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sigh.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Night surfing [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Sigh.

Why Sigh ?

Top guesses:
Publishing local spots
Drawing attention to night surfing or surfing in general

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. This isn't news. I first surfed at night (on acid) in 1988. I was not the first guy to do it.

2. MSM never gets it right.

3. This is just more marketing of a "lifestyle" to sell clothes and Red Bull.

Shred the gnar, dooooood!

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Sigh.

Why Sigh ?

Top guesses:
Publishing local spots
Drawing attention to night surfing or surfing in general

I always go to the NYT for my surfing news.

We used to surf HB Pier at night, just enough light to see the waves but you still dropped into darkness.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
1. This isn't news. I first surfed at night (on acid) in 1988. I was not the first guy to do it.

2. MSM never gets it right.

3. This is just more marketing of a "lifestyle" to sell clothes and Red Bull.

Shred the gnar, dooooood!

Never said it was news. Right or wrong article mentions people doing it before the 60's so not sure what you not being the first matters. I didn't really read it as marketing but you are welcome to your opinion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are three types of surfers...

1. Guy who do cool shit, bring photographers and videographers (and sometimes mainstream news media) along to document everything. This is done for financial reasons.

You may not see this article as advertising but it is. It's advertising surfing itself. It gets laymen interested in the activity and creates a mystique around it (in this case). This mistique and "lifestyle" can then be used later to sell specific products (cars, clothing, energy drinks, etc).

2. People that emulate the pros described in #1. They don't make any money though. These people are seen with GoPros mounted on their boards (facing them) and post non-stop surf related bullshit on IG B

3. The rest of us who just want to go surf.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

1. Guy who do cool shit, bring photographers and videographers (and sometimes mainstream news media) along to document everything. This is done for financial reasons.

Why do you hate freedom? Why do you hate the American Way? Do you wipe your ass with Old Glory?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I've seen you write all that and more before. If that's how you interpreted, again you are welcome to your opinion.

I read it as these guys are surfing at night because it is crowded during the day. In some spots it's dangerous as shit. It's a NYT's article so I took it all with a grain of salt. Some of the pictures are what got my attention.

Mostly it got me thinking about summer rolling around and how excited my kid is to surf this year. But don't worry, he's just a kook who is excited about his beater board. In fact I'll probably go home and cut that shit up now. He's 8 so he'll be part of the problem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old news. 1977 was when I first tried it. Pacific Beach. It was everything I could imagine and more.

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I read it as these guys are surfing at night because it is crowded during the day.

And what is the main cause of crowding? I'll give you a hint...

...see your op.

Reminds me of Laird Hamilton bitching about the crowds at Peahi when the main reason it's crowded is because of his well publicized exploits there.

Here's my point, always was and always will be...

...you want to go surf? Go ahead. Just shut the fuck up about it, ok? And if you just can't control yourself and have to yap your trap in every way possible then don't complain about the crowds.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Night surfing [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Why do you hate freedom? Why do you hate the American Way? Do you wipe your ass with Old Glory?

Yup, it's the way it is. What really annoying is when these guys bitch about the crowds.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you surf Lake Erie never have to worry about crowds. But there is a reason for that

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Night surfing [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
If you surf Lake Erie never have to worry about crowds. But there is a reason for that

I surf a few uncrowded spots. The reasons are varied. Access, scary wave, scary locals, or a combination of those.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Night surfing [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We used to surf HB Pier at night, just enough light to see the waves but you still dropped into darkness.

I remember that spot and time slot well. I went there probably in the late 60's for the first time, they would have the pier lights on all night and you could take off on the south side pretty well. I remember on session at about midnight seeing David Nuuhiwa out in the line up. It was pretty cool to be out with the dude that was considered the best in the world at the time, and I was riding a Rainbow board!!!

A couple times in Baja we would park the trucks running with the lights on at a beach break and surf the dark, it really is a spooky feeling. Take off is the hardest part and where you need some light, after that you can feel your way down the face. But look at us now, giving away such a good nite spot at HB, better look out for Duffy's rage... (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Night surfing [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last time I surfed Rincon on a full moon (15 or so years ago) there were about a hundred others there. No joke.

Paddle out to Ts at night and I can assure you you'll be the only human over that reef.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And what is the main cause of crowding? I'll give you a hint...

...see your op.

Don't dispute it and which is why it was one of the two guesses I made regarding "sigh". I also didn't post it and say "go try this". Didn't write the article. Foolishly posted it here knowing there were a few people who surf or surfed and maybe were tired of political bickering might enjoy it.

Quote:
...you want to go surf? Go ahead. Just shut the fuck up about it, ok?

I rarely talk about surfing for a few reasons. Towards the top of the list is someone will almost always say something along the lines of , "Shred the gnar, dooooood! " thinking it's funny or jumping to a conclusion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I also didn't post it and say "go try this".

Yeah, you just don't get it and probably never will.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Yeah, you just don't get it and probably never will.

In your mind probably not.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
...you want to go surf? Go ahead. Just shut the fuck up about it, ok? And if you just can't control yourself and have to yap your trap in every way possible then don't complain about the crowds.

Says the guy who chimes in on every thread remotely related to surfing.

There are 2 types of surfers at my home break - the guys who bark incessantly with each other about their recent trip to Puerto Rico, or their new board, or how rich they are, or the girl they banged the night before, etc; and the guys who paddle off by themselves and don't say a word.

You don't strike me as the latter.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Re: Night surfing [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I generally don't surf with other people and when there are others around I generally mind my own business.

The simple fact that I surf some of the most heavily localized spots on the planet (spots where I'm not a local) without problems is a testament to the fact that I'm respectful, low key, and know what I'm doing.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this. Night surfed a few times as a teenager, when our parents would drop us off for weekend-long surfing/camping trips and we'd get bored in the middle of the night, grab our boards and paddle out and goof around. No sharks (to be scared of, anyway) where I grew up, just the occasional seal swimming around popping up near us.
Quote Reply
Re: Night surfing [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

I remember that spot and time slot well. I went there probably in the late 60's for the first time, they would have the pier lights on all night and you could take off on the south side pretty well. I remember on session at about midnight seeing David Nuuhiwa out in the line up. It was pretty cool to be out with the dude that was considered the best in the world at the time, and I was riding a Rainbow board!!!

A couple times in Baja we would park the trucks running with the lights on at a beach break and surf the dark, it really is a spooky feeling. Take off is the hardest part and where you need some light, after that you can feel your way down the face. But look at us now, giving away such a good nite spot at HB, better look out for Duffy's rage... (-;

I always liked David Nuuhiwa (Surf Films at the Surf Theater in HB).

I was doing this in the early to mid 80s, once in a while Joey Buran or Buddy Llamas out in the lineup embarrassing the rest of us.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try jumping out of an airplane at night (full moon). That was a rhrill.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply