Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bad Gun Story of the week #2 Allahu Akbar
Quote | Reply
Three people are dead in a shooting spree in downtown Fresno on Tuesday, and the suspect was wanted in connection to the Motel 6 killing last week, the Fresno Police Department said.
Kori Ali Muhammad, 39, shouted "Allahu Akbar" as police tackled him to the ground after the shootings which were spread over four locations, Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.
The victims appeared to be random, Dyer said.
Like any other item, they can be used for good or bad.
Condolences to the victims.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Gun Story of the week #2 Allahu Akbar [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Horrible! Just like the other coward, this guy is a POS multiplied.

Quote | Reply
Despite our recent differences in opinion I have to pay credit where credit is due for highlighting the 'good' and the 'bad'.

Kudos.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Gun Story of the week #2 Allahu Akbar [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Despite our recent differences in opinion I have to pay credit where credit is due for highlighting the 'good' and the 'bad'.

Kudos.

Cheers. :)

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

Kudos.

See we can get along!

I didn't (and won't) check your other reply because I don't trust my ability to not get baited into further debate. HaHa Though the suspense on what variant of 'idiot' I may have been called is killing me
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Gun Story of the week #2 Allahu Akbar [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

Kudos.

See we can get along!

I didn't (and won't) check your other reply because I don't trust my ability to not get baited into further debate. HaHa Though the suspense on what variant of 'idiot' I may have been called is killing me

I'm really very easy to get along with, I'm sweet as peaches. :)

I could be wrong but I don't think I ever called you an idiot. Ignorant, which isn't or wasn't meant to be derogatory, plenty of stuff I'm ignorant about.

I was looking for a Rodney King pic, why can't we all get along

But thought this too priceless not to post.

One of my GF's favorite quotes, "they can suck it". She's a tough gal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the police were on him like instantly due to Fresno's shot spotter technology. http://www.shotspotter.com/

Might have saved a few lives.

Re: Bad Gun Story of the week #2 Allahu Akbar [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
I guess the police were on him like instantly due to Fresno's shot spotter technology. http://www.shotspotter.com/

I've heard of it and understand the concept but am ignorant of any actual details as to how it works, what captures the sound, how that's transmitted so quickly and dispatched.

I bet you're right on the lives saved. Got to get the good guys with guns there asap. Especially in a citizenry that is unarmed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sound location system. Sensors placed throughout city--in this case Fresno (Raisin Capitol of the World) allow very quick triangulation thru computer analysis. We use something similar to figure out where the assholes are that fire small arms onto our bigger bases over in the sand box. For detecting incoming indirect fire (rocket and mortar) we use other systems. So far that's not a issue in Fresno--yet.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Gun Story of the week #2 Allahu Akbar [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Sound location system. Sensors placed throughout city--in this case Fresno (Raisin Capitol of the World) allow very quick triangulation thru computer analysis. We use something similar to figure out where the assholes are that fire small arms onto our bigger bases over in the sand box. For detecting incoming indirect fire (rocket and mortar) we use other systems. So far that's not a issue in Fresno--yet.

/r

Are they wired or wireless? Any idea what sort of area 1 sensor covers, how many in a square mile?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:

/r

Are they wired or wireless? Any idea what sort of area 1 sensor covers, how many in a square mile?

Most likely wireless and piggy backed onto existing infrastructure that already uses wireless infrastructure, such as those used in smart city solutions. Think parking meters, bike sharing locations, utility poles, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i do not know the answer to your questions as they pertain to the raisin capitol's system--while the theory is similar there are different problem sets and solutions for military applications and i really cant go into specifics on the military side of things.

However open source wise just think of the different problem set. On one hand you have what basically amounts to a pretty secure perimeter of a large area and you're worried about assholes firing high powered scoped rifles into your perimeter. On the other hand you have elected officials and their law enforcement subordinates who're basically trying to figure out where any shot is fired anywhere (quickly) within a huge urbanized area.

so similar technologies--different problem sets and solutions

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correction

Quote | Reply
come on now. don't be disingenuous. Selma (Calif) is a part of Fresno. Countless times iv'e seen the sign coming into Fresno advertising it as the Raisin Capitol. Sort of like Bakerfield's "Sun, Fun, Stay Play." Signs

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else think it sounds kind of like "Aloha Snackbar"?
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Gun Story of the week #2 Allahu Akbar [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Most likely wireless and piggy backed onto existing infrastructure that already uses wireless infrastructure, such as those used in smart city solutions. Think parking meters, bike sharing locations, utility poles, etc.
Street lights, very possibly. Modern street light modules have a Zigbee mesh network to communicate, and are often optioned with camera and mic. Sound level variation between light modules can be used to triangulate to a source point.

el cabrero
Pure American Naturals
http://www.pureamericannaturals.com/
https://www.facebook.com/PureAmericanNaturals/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raisin Capital of the World! Great job! I knew you could do it, Fresno. Raisin Capital of the World, oh boy! (Read that as if coming from Buddy the Elf)

last tri in 83 wrote:
Correction

Quote Reply
Re: Bad Gun Story of the week #2 Allahu Akbar [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well although born there, i did leave Calif in '77. So perhaps the 'truth' has changed. But there did used to be a giant sign as you came into Fresno proclaiming it the Raisin Capitol. And since LT83s subversive post i've had to exercise some google fu and i've found that although this upstart town does challenge the claim with some cheap tawdry sign--crossword puzzle hints and Fresno's own webpage will still tell u it's the Raisin Capitol. So if you want to ascribe to a tawdry cheap johnny come lately sign--that's on you. I'm still with Fresno as the Raisin Capitol, and Bakersfield for Sun, Fun, Stay, Play--cause that's what i saw multitudinous times driving thru both

http://www.movoto.com/...ca/moving-to-fresno/

i had to look up the Buddy the Elf reference--very clever. :-)

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Gun Story of the week #2 Allahu Akbar [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone knows Selma it's home to Sunmaid raisins and is the raisin capital. Fresno co-opted it with the California Raisin Bowl and the Dancing Raisins.

Did you know Fresno Co. Produces nearly 100% of the US supply?

Re: Bad Gun Story of the week #2 Allahu Akbar [cabrero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cabrero wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Street lights, very possibly. Modern street light modules have a Zigbee mesh network to communicate, and are often optioned with camera and mic. Sound level variation between light modules can be used to triangulate to a source point.

This is interesting stuff. I assume there is some local processing going on otherwise they would be sending a whole lot of data to the cloud and most of the smart city stuff is 3G.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Gun Story of the week #2 Allahu Akbar [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
cabrero wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

This is interesting stuff. I assume there is some local processing going on otherwise they would be sending a whole lot of data to the cloud and most of the smart city stuff is 3G.
I don't think it is that much data. Zigbee is low data rate, like 256 Kb/s. That's why you see surveillance video with noticeably low frame rates. There is no processing going on at the street light level as far as I know; whether that occurs at a private head-end or in the cloud, well I don't know that either. ZIgbee seems to be taking over; it's private, and it's a mesh network, so it's easy to add additional nodes without any additional network infrastructure.

el cabrero
Pure American Naturals
http://www.pureamericannaturals.com/
https://www.facebook.com/PureAmericanNaturals/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:

The theory for the technology is actually quite old. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/...illery_sound_ranging
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Gun Story of the week #2 Allahu Akbar [cabrero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the info and input on the shot spotter technology. Interesting stuff.

More info on the POS. He killed a security guard a week earlier and had a warrant out for his arrest. Hard to say for sure but it sounds more racially motivated than a muslim extremist killing non believers. More credit given to the shot spotter system for more lives being spared.

http://www.foxnews.com/...pect-in-custody.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the info and input on the shot spotter technology. Interesting stuff.

More info on the POS. He killed a security guard a week earlier and had a warrant out for his arrest. Hard to say for sure but it sounds more racially motivated than a muslim extremist killing non believers. More credit given to the shot spotter system for more lives being spared.

http://www.foxnews.com/...pect-in-custody.html

I didn't read the link but I've read elsewhere that the guy thinks he's an African American soldier in a war against whites. I believe it was his dad who brought that up in a news interview. Maybe there's an Islamic angle there, but I'd put my money on the race factor being the determinative one here. The dad said something like, "I hope the cops take his story seriously and finally start paying attention to what my son's a part of."

War is god
Quote Reply