Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
son won’t wear his helmet
Quote | Reply
bought him a Hybrid road bike for campus. tells me how fast he is getting on it . I ask him about the helmet I gave him and he shrugs. doesn’t ware it.

sometimes
Last edited by: mustangchef: Apr 18, 17 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: son won’t wear his helmut [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
bought him a Hybrid road bike for campus. tells me how fast he is getting on it . I ask him about the helmut I gave him and he shrugs. doesn’t ware it.

I wouldn't want to wear a Helmut either - he's not my type. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Kohl

Quote Reply
Re: son won’t wear his helmut [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking Helmut Newton.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Less snarkily, the young think they're immortal. I rode my bike all over campus for the entirety of college without a helmet. It was stupid and dangerous and I'm lucky I didn't get badly hurt. That said, sounds like he's at a point where he's going to make the decision he's going to make and there's not much you can do about it beyond what you've already done. Remind him every once in a while and then cross your fingers....
Quote Reply
Re: son won’t wear his helmut [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could maybe wear Helmut Lang, but then I'd have to join Kraftwerk.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
bought him a Hybrid road bike for campus. tells me how fast he is getting on it . I ask him about the helmut I gave him and he shrugs. doesn’t ware it.

i was also an idiot as a kid.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: son won’t wear his helmut [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
mustangchef wrote:

I think we need to call in the spelling and grammar police.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm torn on the helmet thing. 100% of the time, I wear a helmet when road riding and mountain biking. My 6 year old son is required to wear his all of the time because he's still gaining skill. I usually don't wear one when I just ride with him in the neighborhood or go on a 4-10 mile neighborhood and multi-use trail with him.

Bikes are ridden for basic transportation/commuting/grocery stops, etc. far more in Euro-bloc countries than here and helmets aren't expected there for those basic purposes as they are here. If your son is just zipping around campus, going to classes, not clipped in, etc. I just don't really see the harm in not wearing one. That said, I'm also the guy who gave his 6 year old a really tiny pocket knife so I can start getting him acquainted to how to handle, use, and respect things that are inherently a potential danger (with the rule that he can only pull it out with me present), so it may just be a difference of appetite for mildly risky behaviors.

mustangchef wrote:
Last edited by: MidwestRoadie: Apr 18, 17 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: son won’t wear his helmut [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
veganerd wrote:
mustangchef wrote:

I think we need to call in the spelling and grammar police.
okay okay enough already so i ficked up . I was hoping for some ammo here to send him , boy was i wrong.

sometimes
Last edited by: mustangchef: Apr 18, 17 10:59
Quote Reply
Re: son won’t wear his helmut [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old is your son?

I understand your feelings to some point but at this point in his life, it's his decision and if it were me I'd respect it.

My grand kids don't always wear a helmet <spelling?> and I don't worry about it. But then, when I was a kid, none of us did. I got to play with jarts too. :)

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I'm torn on the helmet thing. 100% of the time, I wear a helmet when road riding and mountain biking...

I'm with you. I rode my bike through college with no helmet, but back then everybody did. The danger of riding a hybrid bike around campus to class is pretty minimal. If I were in college today, I would probably still ride to class without one.

Fact is, he isn't going to wear one if nobody else is. There are far more dangerous things he could do away at college.
Quote Reply
Re: son won’t wear his helmet [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chicks (or guys if that is his thing) think guys wearing helmets are complete dorks. He isn't wearing the helmet on campus.

People rode bikes for decades without dropping like flies. He'll be fine. I'd make a kid wear it because kids skulls are soft, kids are dumb, kids fall over a lot and also go over sweet jumps.

An adult not on a group ride not wearing a helmet doesn't make me think twice. Group rides are different because it is a lot like being a little kid, people fall over a lot.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: son won’t wear his helmut [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
understand your feelings to some point but at this point in his life, it's his decision and if it were me I'd respect it.

respecting peoples decisions that you think are wrong is silly. do you mean you respect his RIGHT to make a decision? theres a big difference.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son is 6, so it's still my decision to make for him. Mustang's is a college student, so in that case I think it's the kid's decision to make.

I never wore a helmet when I was a kid and for all I remember they may not have even existed then, but I also trust my son less in our suburban area than the rural area I grew up in and trust distracted drivers less than what I grew up with.

I also remember jarts. They were awesome. I remember playing horseshoes as well, particularly the time my 9 year old brother threw one straight above his head...only to have it come down straight on top of his head, blood covering him like a helmet. It was awesome.

CruseVegas wrote:
How old is your son?

I understand your feelings to some point but at this point in his life, it's his decision and if it were me I'd respect it.

My grand kids don't always wear a helmet <spelling?> and I don't worry about it. But then, when I was a kid, none of us did. I got to play with jarts too. :)
Quote Reply
Re: son won’t wear his helmut [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
okay , i thought a helmit was importante? I was wrong. I won’t bother him anymore about it.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
My son is 6, so it's still my decision to make for him. Mustang's is a college student, so in that case I think it's the kid's decision to make.

I never wore a helmet when I was a kid and for all I remember they may not have even existed then, but I also trust my son less in our suburban area than the rural area I grew up in and trust distracted drivers less than what I grew up with.

I also remember jarts. They were awesome. I remember playing horseshoes as well, particularly the time my 9 year old brother threw one straight above his head...only to have it come down straight on top of his head, blood covering him like a helmet. It was awesome.

CruseVegas wrote:
How old is your son?

Horseshoes, yeah, they are great fun, we still them at family reunions.

I thought I was responding to the OP, my bad. Yes, absolutely at 6, your call.

I feel bad for kids growing up in large metro areas vs the small rural towns.

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before I owned a shot gun , i kept a couple parts in my bedroom closet for defense. LOL
MidwestRoadie wrote:

CruseVegas wrote:
How old is your son?

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I also remember jarts. They were awesome.

They actually ARE pretty cool. I remember playing with them a lot. Much better than cornhole.

No one knew heavy metal pointy objects falling from the sky could be so dangerous.

Quote Reply
Re: son won’t wear his helmut [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
understand your feelings to some point but at this point in his life, it's his decision and if it were me I'd respect it.

respecting peoples decisions that you think are wrong is silly. do you mean you respect his RIGHT to make a decision? theres a big difference.

Like you are wrong here, but I respect your right to say and think it.

To the OP, doubtful you will change his mindset on the helmet, I'd encourage him to ride like cars and people are trying to run into him and ride so they can't.

Quote Reply
Re: son won’t wear his helmet [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with everyone else here. He isn't wearing it because it isn't 'cool' to wear one on campus. If he was riding on roads with heavy or fast traffic, I'd say yeah, push to get him to wear one. If he is just riding around campus, don't fight a battle you won't win.

I remember growing up in the 90's my parents forced me to wear my helmet when riding half a mile to a friends house down a residential road. None of my other friends wore one. I often threw it into the woods when I left the house and picked it up when I got home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what OP?
CruseVegas wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

Like you are wrong here, but I respect your right to say and think it.

To the OP, doubtful you will change his mindset on the helmet, I'd encourage him to ride like cars and people are trying to run into him and ride so they can't.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
okay , i thought a helmit was importante? I was wrong. I won’t bother him anymore about it.

It all depends on how important it is to you. You can go two ways with this, accept that most of his riding is fairly low risk and move on, or let him know you bought the bike and those are the rules associated with the bike. Most likely he will agree to wear it but probably wont. Be thankful that he's being honest with you about not wearing it.

Only other option I can think of are sending him studies and articles about the risks of not wearing one. That being said, you could show him articles saying that 99% of bike accidents without a helmet are fatal and he still wont wear one if it means it might screw up his chances of hooking up with that hot girl down the hall.
Quote Reply
Re: son won’t wear his helmut [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, they were awesome. The vintage ones still are awesome. The new ones...well, I'll actually give DJT a vote in 2020 if he can make jarts great again, because these sure aren't.

j p o wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

They actually ARE pretty cool. I remember playing with them a lot. Much better than cornhole.

No one knew heavy metal pointy objects falling from the sky could be so dangerous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Well, they were awesome. The vintage ones still are awesome. The new ones...well, I'll actually give DJT a vote in 2020 if he can make jarts great again, because these sure aren't.

j p o wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

I think the 'poof' in the name says it all.

Quote Reply
Re: son won’t wear his helmut [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. My Aussie family would call those poofter jarts.

Jarts failed us. Sad. #fakegames

j p o wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

j p o wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

I think the 'poof' in the name says it all.
Quote Reply

Prev Next