Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
entitled crybaby assholes
Quote | Reply
"i earned this, its mine, i should get to keep it and you should not take it to give it to someone who didnt earn it"

"i bought this, its mine, i should get to keep it and you should not take it to give it to someone who didnt buy it"

i see a striking similarity in these positions. yet i notice a few here who seem to historically hold the first position say the second position represents entitlement or is crybaby behavior.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: entitled crybaby assholes [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Care to expand?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
"i earned this, its mine, i should get to keep it and you should not take it to give it to someone who didnt earn it"

"i bought this, its mine, i should get to keep it and you should not take it to give it to someone who didnt buy it"

i see a striking similarity in these positions. yet i notice a few here who seem to historically hold the first position say the second position represents entitlement or is crybaby behavior.

Ok, you are going to have to give examples b/c I have not seen anything close to that.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see either as being an entitled asshole.

I do see someone who wants what others have earned or bought as entitled assholes though.

I'm totally missing your point, I guess.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: entitled crybaby assholes [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Ok, you are going to have to give examples b/c I have not seen anything close to that.

1) taxes

2) airline seats

for the stupid: im not saying taxes and airline seats are the same. im saying the arguments sound the same yet it appears that somw here seem to be on opposite sides depending on the argument.

its just an observation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is an appropriate observation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

1) taxes

2) airline seats

for the stupid: im not saying taxes and airline seats are the same. im saying the arguments sound the same yet it appears that somw here seem to be on opposite sides depending on the argument.

its just an observation.

An airline ticket is a contract with certain conditions you agree to when you buy it. You aren't buying an actual seat that you get to keep.

And you think you're a smart person?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

1) taxes

2) airline seats

its just an observation.

Who is making inapposite arguments? I stopped following the UA thread, but while I was active in it, almost everyone agreed the seat was his and he should not have been made to give it up.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're trying very unsuccessfully to draw a comparison between wealth redistribution and consumerism. They're not the same
Quote Reply
Re: entitled crybaby assholes [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

1) taxes

2) airline seats

its just an observation.

An airline ticket is a contract with certain conditions you agree to when you buy it. You aren't buying an actual seat that you get to keep.

i didnt say you own the seat, you purchased the rights to it for a limited time. saying "its my seat " is well understood colloquially. be it a baseball game, bus, movie theatre, or airline. if someone is in the wrong seat when the rightful ticket holder comes along they say "thats my seat" no one thinks they think its their furniture to take home.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

1) taxes

2) airline seats

its just an observation.

Who is making inapposite arguments? I stopped following the UA thread, but while I was active in it, almost everyone agreed the seat was his and he should not have been made to give it up.

Well, if those four UA flight crew folks didn't get seats on that flight then some 200+ others would have been bumped from their flights, and all the down the line.

Booking flights is a balancing act and UA fucked this one up.

And airline passengers do not own the seats they buy. They are buying a service contract with conditions agreed to upon purchase. One of those conditions is that you can get kicked off the plane due to over booking (or plane is over weight).

Just a personal observation, I've never had any issues with airline staff and that is partly because when I fly I'm really nice to them.

TSA? Assholes.

My biggest complaint? The fucking passengers. By far the vast majority of issue arise because passengers are being fucking idiots. Usually alcohol is involved.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

1) taxes

2) airline seats

its just an observation.

so do you agree that these are similar arguments? im asking a genuine question here. no gotcha motives. im just making an observation and wondering how other people see it.

theres at least a couple in there who say the man was wrong for refusing to give up his seat/protesting/being a crybaby/entitled.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Duffy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

1) taxes

2) airline seats

its just an observation.

i didnt say you own the seat, you purchased the rights to it for a limited time. saying "its my seat " is well understood colloquially. be it a baseball game, bus, movie theatre, or airline. if someone is in the wrong seat when the rightful ticket holder comes along they say "thats my seat" no one thinks they think its their furniture to take home.

Yes. But like I said, your ticket purchase comes with conditions attached that you agree to. One of those conditions is that you can get bumped.

If you don't like it, drive (or take a boat).

And same with taxes. When you earn money in the US you are agreeing t pay taxes on that money.

If you don't like it, move (or vote in people that will lower your taxes).

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Duffy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

1) taxes

2) airline seats

its just an observation.

Yes. But like I said, your ticket purchase comes with conditions attached that you agree to. One of those conditions is that you can get bumped.

And same with taxes. When you earn money in the US you are agreeing t pay taxes on that money.

an awful lot of legal experts, including one in this thread, say there was nothing in the contract that allowed this man to get bumped once he was in his seat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
1) taxes

2) airline seats

its just an observation.

I think the two things are so different that it doesn't make sense trying to draw parallels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

1) taxes

2) airline seats

its just an observation.

so do you agree that these are similar arguments? im asking a genuine question here. no gotcha motives. im just making an observation and wondering how other people see it.

theres at least a couple in there who say the man was wrong for refusing to give up his seat/protesting/being a crybaby/entitled.

In the abstract they are similar but the examples you provided are dissimilar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

1) taxes

2) airline seats

its just an observation.

On THIS specific situation, I do think they are similar. I took a very strong position in the UA thread that the guy "owned" the seat for the duration of that flight and should not have been displaced. He entered into a valid and binding contract with UA whereby he was "entitled" to that seat for the duration of that flight, subject to removal ONLY if one of the express conditions of the contract was met. None of the express conditions of the contract were met. Therefore, he was "entitled" to the seat and it should not have been given to anyone else.

I also applauded him for his resistance and expressly stated we all benefit from his actions.

To Duffy's point - many airline passengers are asses and create the situation they find themselves in, for which I have no empathy or sympathy. This guy was not one of those people. He was in the right.

Quote Reply
Re: entitled crybaby assholes [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

1) taxes

2) airline seats

its just an observation.

In the abstract they are similar but the examples you provided are dissimilar

ok. i think i partially agree

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Duffy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Duffy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

1) taxes

2) airline seats

its just an observation.

an awful lot of legal experts, including one in this thread, say there was nothing in the contract that allowed this man to get bumped once he was in his seat.

Not everyone agrees with that...

https://www.usatoday.com/...-not-many/100287338/

And keep in mind that three other people got off the flight without incident.

I still think this Dao guy is a fucking nut, btw, who partially brought this on himself. No worries, he'll be a multimillionaire soon enough. He'll be able suck all the dick and take all the opiates he wants.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

I've examined this very carefully. I agree with you that there is striking similarly. Twenty eight words in each. In identical order with identical punctuation. Both missing two apostrophes in the same location. The only difference is that the second to last word in the first is earn and in the second is buy. Who is saying they are not nearly identical?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Duffy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Duffy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

1) taxes

2) airline seats

its just an observation.

Not everyone agrees with that...

https://www.usatoday.com/...-not-many/100287338/

And keep in mind that three other people got off the flight without incident.

I still think this Dao guy is a fucking nut, btw, who partially brought this on himself. No worries, he'll be a multimillionaire soon enough. He'll be able suck all the dick and take all the opiates he wants.

Wrong. This is yet another news article that cites to the TSA regulations regarding overbooking and bumping. The article ignores basic contract law and the contract between UA and the passenger, other than to note that UA's contract did NOT have a specific provision addressing removal of a seated passenger due to overbooking. Therein lies the rub.

Every single article I have read provides the TSA/DOT regulations regarding overbooking and bumping. Not a single one addresses the contract law issue and most of them expressly state there was nothing in UA's contract of passenger rights that expressly allowed removal in this case.

This is the reason why the passenger is going to win his lawsuit. The law doesn't care about optics. The law cares about the facts and the law. UA breached its contract and, for that, it will pay.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you say so.

Btw, there isn't going to be a lawsuit. An attorney is going to write a couple letters and UA is going to fork over millions.

Optics.

Btw II, three others got off that plane without incident.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: entitled crybaby assholes [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
veganerd wrote:

I've examined this very carefully. I agree with you that there is striking similarly. Twenty eight words in each. In identical order with identical punctuation. Both missing two apostrophes in the same location. The only difference is that the second to last word in the first is earn and in the second is buy. Who is saying they are not nearly identical?

no one is saying they arent identical when they look at them. im observing both have seemingly been argued with different conclusions reached.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

irrelevant.

some people give their wallet over to a mugger without incident. some people resist.

both have the same exact rights to their wallet and chose to exercise them differently.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Duffy wrote:

irrelevant.

some people give their wallet over to a mugger without incident. some people resist.

both have the same exact rights to their wallet and chose to exercise them differently.

My wallet and a specific seat on a plane at a specific time are two totally unrelated things.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next