Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tarsal Tunnel
Quote | Reply
Hello,
I have been suffering with tarsal tunnel for 2+ years and I am seriously considering surgery. I gratefully came upon this site. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a surgeon? I live in MN but would travel to see the best surgeon because from what I've heard, the success rate with this surgery is about 50:50. I noticed Dr. Baxter was noted in another thread. Would anyone be willing to share their experience with Dr. Baxter? Is there another surgeon who is very experienced with this procedure?
Thank you so much!!
Jessica
Quote Reply
Re: Tarsal Tunnel [Jessicabb22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your symptoms and what would be the recommended procedure?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I travelled from Florida to Houston to see Dr. Baxter. I arrived on Monday and saw him, he confirmed the locations of the nerve entrapments, and Tuesday I had surgery. I flew back home on Wednesday. I have not had any pain since then. Resumed running slowly as he recommended. I would highly recommend seeing him. If you call his office and explain where you are coming from they will facilitate the scheduling. They work with a lot of out of town athletes. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Tarsal Tunnel [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The symptoms are pain and tingling on inside of both ankles and bottom of feet. After several rounds of pt and steroid treatments I'm still in pain. Surgery is a very last resort for this. They release the nerves that are entrapped along inside of heel.
Quote Reply
Re: Tarsal Tunnel [irongirlfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Irongirl,
Did you have both feet done at the same time? I'm trying to imagine flying home like that. Did he confirm the location of your entrapments with your MRI or how? And, how long ago was your surgery? This whole ordeal is so devastating. It's nice to find others who understand.
Thank you so much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!

I only had it in one foot. I just kept it elevated flying home, and southwest was really helpful.

I did not have an MRI. MY doctors here in FL kept insisting it was plantar fascitis. I was 100% sure it was not. When I got to Baxter's he basically pressed in 4 or 5 different places and at least 3 of them shot me through the roof. Then he drew a diagram of the nerves on my foot to show me where it was entrapped. I am going to say he was 100% correct because once it healed I haven't had a hint of that awful pain again. It has been 3.5 years or so. I wouldn't hesitate to go to him again if it happened in the other foot. I would highly recommend calling them and discussing. Good luck and feel free to PM me with questions if you have any...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much. Just to confirm the doctor is Dr. Donald Baxter at Athletic & Orthopedic Knee Center in Houston?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used John Hopkins for Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome surgery? Dr. Baxter is quite far from me and would prefer going to someone in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find an ART provider that does Long Tract Nerve flossing in your area. If the Dx is adequate you have a very high probably of getting it fixed non-surgically, we do it all the time.

http://www.activerelease.com/find-a-provider.asp

Zev

"No matter how hard you train, Somebody will train harder. No matter how hard you run, Somebody will run harder. No matter how hard you want it, Somebody will want it more, I am Somebody"~ST Post
Quote Reply
Re: Tarsal Tunnel [Zev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had tarsal tunnel syndrome and made many attempts using active release techniques, PT. trigger point release, etc. Never helped.
Quote Reply
Re: Tarsal Tunnel [greyt88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. All things healthcare can be summarized in the following: Some things work for some people some of the time.
2. If your providers did not have long tract nerve flossing in their training (and a good mastery of it) then they didn't have the training to correct it manually.
3. Yes one tool never works for 100% of people but as a provider who sees ~90-95% resolution in any case I've taken on I'm simply stating it from my perspective and clinical experience. I have no reason to be disingenuous or braggadocio, I'm on the other side of the continent from the OP. Simply another triathlete who hates to see someone in pain.

Zev

"No matter how hard you train, Somebody will train harder. No matter how hard you run, Somebody will run harder. No matter how hard you want it, Somebody will want it more, I am Somebody"~ST Post
Quote Reply
Re: Tarsal Tunnel [Zev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I'll look into a long tract nerve flossing practitioner.

Recently, I went to an adhesion removing chiropractor that promised great things. He made my condition worse. Thus, I'm a bit wary of some bold claims.
Quote Reply
Re: Tarsal Tunnel [greyt88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True tarsal tunnel entraps the posterior tibial nerve, if treatment doesn't accommodate for standard neurodynamics then you'll overstretch the nerve (neuropraxic insult) and the subsequent guard reflex and inflammatory cascade will definitely make it worse.

A good rule of thumb with any manual intervention: Unless you have a REALLY good reason why it should take longer (rehab for partial thickness rupture of a tendon, denervation, atrophy) then 3-6 appointments and it has to obviously be getting better, and not just better in the room for for a few hours. If that's not the case then either the treatment plan must change or provider must change.

Last edited by: Zev: Nov 20, 19 13:58
Quote Reply