Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ibick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Carl said to test the sensor.

I use a PT wheel in a Madone with a Duotrap with no problems but you do have to set it up. I do this:

Speed: PT (no need for a wheel magnet and it's a reliable source)
Power PT (obviously)
Cadence: Duotrap.

I can't off the top of my head think how you do it, and specific head units may be a different setup. It's a case of pairing the sensors to operate as above. I'd remove and re-pair both.

Good luck.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, when I switched the battery yesterday, I also re-paired. It didn't appear to work at the time (which led to my post here), but for my ride this morning, everything appeared to be all hunky dory.. *shrug*

I do all my training indoors due to my current schedule and family time, so I rely on the speed sensor to give "mileage" (I know it's not 100% accurate). Currently, TR is experiencing an issue with Powertap and the speed readings from that, otherwise I wouldn't really care which was used in this scenario.

Thanks Carl (and SkippyKitten)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I sent this message to Carl too, but hoping someone here might have the answer too, hoping to fix this tonight....

I'm trying to do some maintenance on my gen 1 SC9.
Part of that includes replacing the headset bearings.
Problem - I can't get the damn fork off!!!
I have the stem/bars off, brakes disconnected, etc. But when I try to slide the fork off / out of the headtube, its like the shape of the fork and the shape of the frame can't make it past each other. I get it half way off and then the two surfaces kind of jam together. All I accomplished was destroying some of the paint at the bottom of the headtube by getting them essentially jammed together, and having to whack the bottom of the fork to at least get it back on after giving up.
What the heck am I missing?!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry you're having difficulty with this. Lower headset bearing has to come out of the frame at the same time as the fork. if it has been a while and/or there's a bunch of gunk up there holding it in you may need to get at it with a pick or something to get it free.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Sorry you're having difficulty with this. Lower headset bearing has to come out of the frame at the same time as the fork. if it has been a while and/or there's a bunch of gunk up there holding it in you may need to get at it with a pick or something to get it free.

That would explain it! Thanks! I'll see if I can poke it out.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl - obviously this means that the new bearing needs to be inserted with the fork in, right? I assume the bearing should therefore press in very easy without a bearing press?

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lower bearing should be installed on fork race first, then whole assembly up into the headtube. No press necessary...it's a slip-fit.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Wondering if it is possible to quickly adjust the brakes when changing wheels? My training wheels are slimmer than my good carbon wheels (Aeolus 5 Tubular vs Dura-Ace C24 Clinchers).

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [madmax231] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi madmax-

the front brakes are easily adjusted with a 2mm hex wrench...can even be done without removing the front brake cover...look for the two small holes on the sides of the brake cover.

on the gen2 bike, same basic thing for rear, except you can adjust both sides of the brake from the non-driveside through a slot in the rear brake cover. see second half of this post.

on the gen1 bike, the rear brake width is adjusted by moving spacers from the inside of the brake arm to the outside (or vice versa).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Trekkies,

will we see the Trek Speed Concept Gen 3 in 2017? I had the Gen 1 and sold recently my SC 9 Gen 2, because I would like to change to a different frame size. Question is now wait for a few months for the next generation or buy the 2017 frame in large. Gen 2 SC was introduced in 2013.

What do you think?;-)

Stefan
Last edited by: Steve560: Apr 9, 17 9:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm installing SRAM eTap on my 2015 (Gen 2) Speed Concept.
I'm using eTap Clics at the ends of the top aero bars - that the easy part.
I want to put Clic shifters on the lower bars just behind the brakes. I intend to use BlipGrips.
But how do I get the Clic cables inside the lower bar? Drill a hole??
Any help is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Steve560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve560 wrote:
Dear Trekkies,

will we see the Trek Speed Concept Gen 3 in 2017? I had the Gen 1 and sold recently my SC 9 Gen 2, because I would like to change to a different frame size. Question is now wait for a few months for the next generation or buy the 2017 frame in large. Gen 2 SC was introduced in 2013.

What do you think?;-)

Stefan

I haven't heard anything to say something is coming. I would be surprised if we saw a new bike this year (my opinion). There's really nothing wrong with the current gen sc and very little to improve upon. I am constantly seeing new SC's on the road in an area where back in 2011/2012 there were none.

If I were trek, I would be waiting to see how this whole disc brake thing plays out.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BrianLooney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Brian-

What about the hole already machined into the underside of the bullhorns for external brake cable access? Should be large enough to handle that and the Clic cable.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianLooney wrote:
I'm installing SRAM eTap on my 2015 (Gen 2) Speed Concept.
I'm using eTap Clics at the ends of the top aero bars - that the easy part.
I want to put Clic shifters on the lower bars just behind the brakes. I intend to use BlipGrips.
But how do I get the Clic cables inside the lower bar? Drill a hole??
Any help is appreciated.

Use holes for the brake cable . Fyi I used the clicks on my aero bars and although they looked super clean , they shortened the ends enough to make it too uncomfortable for me. So I used some blip grips slightly modefied and installed in reverse.
Also you will need to wallow out the bilp grips using a sanding drill bit so they will fit the lower bars. They wont fit otherwise. See pics below. I threw in a couple pics of blip box incase your looking for placment ideas.
Last edited by: Dirt fighter: Apr 10, 17 5:09
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

One more.
Last edited by: Dirt fighter: Apr 10, 17 5:07
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Dirt Fighter
I'll take things apart this week and this should help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!

I have a couple questions regarding my new Speed Concept:

-I bought a workstand clamp adapter to fit the bike in my workstand. Found out, when I got home, that I needed different rubber adapters than the ones included... So the LBS ordered them. Got them tonight, and they don't seem to fit. PN is 416102. The Service Info manual gives a different PN (416101). Am I missing something, or did I get the wrong part??

-Anybody have a suggestion how to mount a Garmin Edge 1000 GPS, as well as a water bottle on top of the cockpit assembly (other than the Bontrager Speed Concept bottle cage)? I'm using the standard mono-extension that comes with the SC 7.5, and it seems there aren't may options to mount my big GPS. I was thinking of the Speedfil A2+Z4 package... Or any other suggestions?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
416102 is the clamp adapter for the gen1 SC...416101 is the correct adapter for gen2 (and the Equinox TTX...same seatpost profile).

I think you'll find some examples of the Speedfil A2/Z4 setup if you do an advanced search on the forum. The trick is getting the standoff to clear the pad wing...will probably require longer bolts and some spacers compared to what might come stock on the A2/Z4.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I could buy the bracket that normally comes with the Speed Concept bottle cage. It's available at my LBS and I guess I could install the Speedfil on top of it?

Thank you for the clarification. Looks like I need to return the adapter to the LBS...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup, you can get that bracket separately. that's cool your LBS has it...I don't think too many dealers stock that.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanx Carl,
Silly me - someone else told me about those holes in the bullhorns too. I haven't removed the bar tape to see them yet. I was just preparing for the install later this week. It should go easy now. I love the bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For all I knew, you ended up with the first SC bar I've ever heard of where the bullhorn holes didn't get machined. Highly unlikely, but not impossible.

Glad to hear you like the bike! Cheers!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An alternative sugggestion to the speedfill is the profile design fc25 or 35. I have the SC 9.9 and this works great for hydration and holds my garmin.
http://www.bikewagon.com/profile-design-fc35-triathlon-drink-system-35oz-white?CAWELAID=400006350000509959&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=21370385196&CATCI=pla-138102251076&catargetid=400006350000511118&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAjwoLfHBRD_jLW93remyAQSJABIygGpMOpEUKnexR-gjiVYNq6nkFkWWQbn-F4hGYNEkKKbkxoCEu3w_wcB

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jkoszarek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

But I do not believe this bottle would fit on my cockpit...
Quote Reply

Prev Next