Prev Next
Re: Giro Aerohead [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone solved the problem described here?:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...st=last-6270072#last
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried Rain-x for the visor to try to avoid the fog issue?
Any reason you shouldn't apply it to the visor interior?
Shouldn't it help the fog condensation bead up and roll off?

I'm a heavy sweater and getting nervous for summer with this helmet
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to try one of the anti-fog solutions previously mentioned.

I had a ton of issues with fogging in both training and racing. I don't want that to happen again. Having to break aero and wipe the lens 3-5x during a race probably negates the benefit of the helmet (over my A2)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't tried RainX on my helmet visor. But, my other hobby is racing cars---where we use RainX on the interior surface of the windshield to combat fogging. Works quite well on glass.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tried this defogger https://www.amazon.com/...ge?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As recommended above... It worked better than nothing but still fogged up and had to stick my fingers in there to clear it multiple times. This is Florida so a ton of humidity plus it rained that day. Haven't tried rain x... Maybe it works better

d00d wrote:

I had a ton of issues with fogging in both training and racing. I don't want that to happen again. Having to break aero and wipe the lens 3-5x during a race probably negates the benefit of the helmet (over my A2)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option from the motorsports world....antifog inserts. These are basically a stick-on double layer of plastic film (mylar or some other) that creates an insulating air-gap to the visor surface. They work very well in motorcycle and racecar helmets. Some brands are Fog-City, Invision Pro Sheild, Progrip, etc. Might be a bit of work to find one to fit the Giro visor...since they are designed around specific helmet vendors (Bell, Arai, etc), but its an option that might work.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:

In addition to Augusta 70.3 mentioned above, I also wore the helmet at the Cartagena 70.3. Once again, zero fogging issues and I defy anyone to find a more humid race than Cartagena.

Not sure why some of us have fogging issues while some of us do not.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No fogging at Galveston Sunday either. 90% humidity when I started the bike, but it was down to 83% by the time I finished. And I was sweating like a beast.

Now my goggles on the other hand....argh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No fogging either during the South Beach Triathlon this past Sunday, although I started the bike with the visor up, flipped it 5 minutes into the ride.

http://www.verynooty.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
d00d wrote:

In addition to Augusta 70.3 mentioned above, I also wore the helmet at the Cartagena 70.3. Once again, zero fogging issues and I defy anyone to find a more humid race than Cartagena.

Not sure why some of us have fogging issues while some of us do not.

Cozumel 70.3 it fogged liked crazy. Couldn't see anything. But that is the beauty. Just flip it upside down.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [BigH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how's everyone finding this helmet in hot weather? Seems to have a reputation as 'hot', but yet reading through the comments here, it would appear the majority don't believe it's that bad. I expect we'll see more people with it in Kona this year too.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [BMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMS wrote:
So how's everyone finding this helmet in hot weather? Seems to have a reputation as 'hot', but yet reading through the comments here, it would appear the majority don't believe it's that bad. I expect we'll see more people with it in Kona this year too.

It's average aero helmet as far as how "hot" it feels. I don't think it felt any different than any other aero helmet I've used.

That stated, I'm thinking about drilling a couple little holes in it for extra venting but I'm scared to do so because I know these things are designed with the vents they way they are for airflow and aerodynamics. I'll take suggestions on where to drill. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No fog, wasn't as hot as I thought (used in Galveston this past weekend). I also crash tested it, no ill effects from the crash. Solid helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMS wrote:

I think it's the hottest aero helmet I have had. Much hotter then the LG-P09 for me and its the first time I have ever felt like a helmet was "hot" in 10 years of aero helmet racing.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 here, except I've been raving for 5 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
BMS wrote:

I think it's the hottest aero helmet I have had. Much hotter then the LG-P09 for me and its the first time I have ever felt like a helmet was "hot" in 10 years of aero helmet racing.

Are you writing about the Ultimate or the normal version?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the normal version, it was hot and tested significantly slower than the p09. It felt very claustrophobic as well. Back on eBay it went.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I found the ventilation to be quite good and didn't feel hot even in a triathlon in the middle of summer in Texas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd imagine for a helmet like this, ventilation is dramatically effected by fit, head position and speed. So different people are likely to have different experiences of fogging and over-heating.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hutchy_belfast wrote:
I had the normal version, it was hot and tested significantly slower than the p09. It felt very claustrophobic as well. Back on eBay it went.

I tested it only a couple of times in cool weather (upto 16°C = 61°F) , so can not tell if the helmet is hot to me. Did you have a white or a black version?

I feel very comfortable with the helmet, very spacy and it is better to me than my old Giro Advantage with sunglasses. As a matter of fact, I had a headache during my last IM I think because of the arms of the sunglasses between the helmet and head. So at least that problem is solved.

The only problem I had upto now with the Aerohead was the lost contact lens. But that's not a killer for me, I still have the other eye and even if they fall both out I can still race, having only +2 on both eyes.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
BMS wrote:

Are you writing about the Ultimate or the normal version?

The normal.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
If you're taping up the vents you also need to close a bit off the underside as well to mimic the Ultimate version.

Is there an aero benefit of closing off the tail?

Has anyone found a way of doing this? I see its a Lycra like material so allows airflow; that makes it harder to retro fit, just duct taping it over would be easy!

I have to admit that I'm in love with this helmet, I shamelessly havent tested it yet, but its such a nice thing to have on your head. Road helmet comfort, fit and presumably safety with great vision. I'd never do training rides with my selector, but this thing is a great place to be and certainly feels fast. The adjustments to raise / lower the back of the lid are also a great touch, on the lowest setting I can see pretty well up the road with a head down position.

Does anyone know that date cut off for the new spec visor, and have the contact details for the UK if mine is outside of this spec?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [Mearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mearl wrote:
Xavier wrote:
If you're taping up the vents you also need to close a bit off the underside as well to mimic the Ultimate version.

Is there an aero benefit of closing off the tail?

Has anyone found a way of doing this? I see its a Lycra like material so allows airflow; that makes it harder to retro fit, just duct taping it over would be easy!

I have to admit that I'm in love with this helmet, I shamelessly havent tested it yet, but its such a nice thing to have on your head. Road helmet comfort, fit and presumably safety with great vision. I'd never do training rides with my selector, but this thing is a great place to be and certainly feels fast. The adjustments to raise / lower the back of the lid are also a great touch, on the lowest setting I can see pretty well up the road with a head down position.

Does anyone know that date cut off for the new spec visor, and have the contact details for the UK if mine is outside of this spec?

Theoretically, yes. Though you'd have to test to see if it actually materialized in practice. Leaving the underside of the tail open - *in theory* - would allow eddies to form back there, which would cause increased drag. In theory, the best shape for the underside of the tail is actually slightly convex - not flat - but I'm not aware of any testing of this in practice, and it would likely be HIGHLY dependent on the rider's position.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan, if you were to drill the regular Aerohead to add a wee bit more venting where would you do it?

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know where I can try the Aerohead in Boston area? I like how it looks, but want to know if it fits my head.

Thanks,
Quote Reply

Prev Next