Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin FR935 release [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
It's unfortunate to me that people still buy into the thinking of what a watch is supposed to look like. I don't understand the thought that the Fenix 5 somehow looks better than the 935 simply because it looks more like a Rolex. Personally, I think the Apple watch is by far the most beautiful watch there is. Beauty in simplicity, but I guess generations of opinions don't change over night

You are making a lot of assumptions about my tastes. If I were to buy a Fenix it'd be a 5S not a 5 and definitely not a 5X. As a dude Garmin's decision to market 5S to women seems silly to me, it's a modern clean looking watch versus the clunky wrist furniture of the 5X.

My comments in regards to the aesthetics were because this looks cheap and plasticy to me:

And this does not:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
Out of curiousity, why does he want wifi so badly? I'm a software engineer, and in my opinion, Bluetooth is better in every way.

yes, technically BT is "better" but for me wifi is super convenient since it just auto uploads at all the places where I stop a workout (home, work, gym). It hardly ever fails, where BT fails often (for me). BT on my 920XT just seemed less reliable and I'm usually fiddling around trying to get the workout uploaded. On my Edge 520, BT seems to work very well and also doesn't seem to drain the battery as much as on the 920. My edge 510, though, is very unreliable with BT uploads. So even though my 520 work well, my perception of bluetooth on a garmin is as a much less optimal experience than wifi has been. But it's not down to the actual technology protocols, it's down to the whole experience that each one provides. WiFi is my goto option, bluetooth is a "backup option" that I use when traveling.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a hard time getting wifi uploads to work on my 920xt. I eventually gave up as I never could get the watch to connect to my wifi at home. Not sure if it was an issue with my wifi router (comcast x1) or what. I'm going to try to get the 935 to work but I'm not optimistic.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
You should buy a Zinger sowing machine while you're at it:)

Is that some kind of hog farming implement?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 hours of battery life? My old ipod shuffle gen 1 does 20 hrs+, can fit about 2000 songs at 128kbps and can be bought 100% waterproof for about that price tag.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
proftri wrote:
Except, of course, for the optical HR. That's hardly a "small incremental upgrade" from the 920XT. People may differ on how important it is to them to have optical HR, but I suspect it's been a pretty significant engineering challenge for Garmin to get it working reliably (and it seems still to be a work in progress).

The optical HR is the only reason that I will switch over from my current 910. I've tested the optical on the 735 and it works pretty good, but the battery life isn't long enough. The new 935 solves that.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [Jimmy B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine arrived......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
5 hours of battery life? My old ipod shuffle gen 1 does 20 hrs+, can fit about 2000 songs at 128kbps and can be bought 100% waterproof for about that price tag.

Yes but your ipod shuffle doesn't work with streaming music services or support bluetooth headphones. No one is forcing you to 'upgrade', but a lot of people stopped maintaining an iTunes library a long time ago and want to use their streaming services on workouts without bringing their comically oversized phones.

There were 3 products coming out to fill that niche, the Pebble core (cancelled when Fitbit bought Pebble), the Mighty and the Delphin. If you want waterproof you are pretty much stuck with the Delphin.

Of course if Garmin implemented bluetooth audio in any meaningful way then these products would be irrelevant. It seems shocking to me that a these new watches don't given the enormous price tags. These watches almost cost as much as buying a premium smartphone straight up and while they are certainly sophisticated devices the FR935 and F5 are laughable compared to say the just announced galaxy S8. That's economies of scale for you though I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hate to break it to you, but iPod shuffle integrates with Spotify exactly the same way Mighty does. It works like this - mark some albums or songs to be available offline, wait for them to be written to your computer, grab them from a local directory - in the case of iPod move them into your iTunes library, or in the case of Mighty write them to the device. Sure, iTunes is a pain in the ass, but let's not pretend that this Mighty device blazes some new trail here.

Re: bluetooth - a $6 adapter for the headphone does the trick if you want to charge 2 devices instead of one.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got a 935 already? How?

I'm still waiting for garmin to take my money on there website.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hate to break it to me? Pretend Mighty is blazes trails? What are you even reading to come up with this stuff?

A different poster mentioned Mighty, I mentioned a different similar product only stating that it exists and said that I personally use a shuffle. As far as syncing spotify to your shuffle, sounds like a pain in the ass but cool story. I would not be interested in a product that requires any kind of regular synchronization between PC and the device so I have no interest in Mighty personally if that's how it works. Delphin might be interesting since it has a UI and wifi so you can use the apps directly on the device but given the screen size limitation it might be a flawed experience.

Good news is you are free to enjoy your shuffle til the end of time regardless of whether or not some company is attempting to market a competitor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the screen glass or plastic ?

Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the Uk - ordered from wiggle yesterday - delivered today.

The screen is plastic.

Just been for a run with it - its replacing my 920 that i've had since launch - so all the buttons are in the wrong places !!

Its a lot more like a "normal" watch than the 920 - doesn't feel like you have a computer strapped to your wrist. Black on black is a little dull - have a different strap on order but no one seems to have them in stock yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
PhilipShambrook wrote:
Is it that easy to include a music player with bluetooth connection to earphones, storage for said music, ANT+connection to ancillary items, and still have good battery life for GPS tracking and other performance metrics? Never mind the processing capacity. And all in a wrist-worn device? I guess the answer is yes, maybe - https://www.amazon.com/...eywords=iphone+wrist

Yes. Motorola did it 5+ years ago. Garmin should have no trouble with this at all.

What was this Motorola wrist-worn device that was so good 5+ years ago? That would have been around the same time as the 310XT.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Mar 30, 17 14:03
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
krez wrote:
PhilipShambrook wrote:
Is it that easy to include a music player with bluetooth connection to earphones, storage for said music, ANT+connection to ancillary items, and still have good battery life for GPS tracking and other performance metrics? Never mind the processing capacity. And all in a wrist-worn device? I guess the answer is yes, maybe - https://www.amazon.com/...eywords=iphone+wrist

Yes. Motorola did it 5+ years ago. Garmin should have no trouble with this at all.

What was this Motorola wrist-worn device that was so good 5+ years ago? That would have been around the same time as the 310XT.

My bad, it was 6 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motoactv

And here's dcrainmaker's review: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...in-depth-review.html

I'm not really sure why it didn't catch on other than having terrible battery life. Many years ahead of its time. In fact, we still haven't caught back up to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's age (or wisdom), I'm 47 and I still want the latest and greatest but I force myself to skip a generation in technology. I feel better about myself that way and the upgrade is more substantial. I went from the iPhone 5S to the 7 and now I'm going from the FR910xt to the FR935. So maybe you should wait for the iPhone8 and FR950.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any 22mm strap should work right?
Like any NATO strap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While a few people would like it, maybe the demand isn't there for something with on board music storage, especially in an age where the fastest growing segment buys no music at all but streams it.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yes. I vaguely remember looking at it at the time. Questionable waterproofing from the start would have made it an easy decision to avoid buying it for triathlon.

While it presented a good package, it seemed to lack substance. What is does show is how difficult it is to get everything into a package that is usable. While we might not have caught up with the entire package, we do at least have devices that work in the environment for which they were designed...most of the time.

Bryton is another name that springs to mind. They came. Made a reasonable splash and have all but disappeared.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
While a few people would like it, maybe the demand isn't there for something with on board music storage, especially in an age where the fastest growing segment buys no music at all but streams it.

There are a lot of really good use cases for having stored music: Airplans, running, subways. Apparently subways are the reason why Spotify allowed you to download a playlist locally. But if the UI integration is good where you can just click the "Save playlist to my Garmin" button, then I think it would be huge.

The concept of on board music storage doesn't actually make sense to a lot of people, but if you obfuscate it behind something that people do understand, then it works well.

Edit: After some thought, I even more strongly disagree that there isn't a market for this. Every single runner that I know also carries their cell phone so that they can listen to music while they run (and take pictures and use maps, etc, but mainly for music. And my network is not exactly small.)
Last edited by: krez: Mar 30, 17 15:00
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
Ah yes. I vaguely remember looking at it at the time. Questionable waterproofing from the start would have made it an easy decision to avoid buying it for triathlon.

While it presented a good package, it seemed to lack substance. What is does show is how difficult it is to get everything into a package that is usable. While we might not have caught up with the entire package, we do at least have devices that work in the environment for which they were designed...most of the time.

Bryton is another name that springs to mind. They came. Made a reasonable splash and have all but disappeared.

Yep, I agree. Products are successful when you do one thing really, really well. After that, you earn the privilege of expanding beyond your core business. Garmin does GPS watches really well (arguably.) This is why the 935 seems like such a small, incremental upgrade. They need to introduce something *new* instead of just creating 1% improvements on top of something that is already good. My 920 and 310 (and probably the 935) does GPS about the same. They aren't substantially different. GIVE ME SOMETHING NEW GARMIN!

Another product that comes to mind is the Bia Sport watch. Much like Motorola, they introduce something new (cell tower connectivity,) but they didn't do it well enough to really take hold in the market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
marklemcd wrote:

There are a lot of really good use cases for having stored music: Airplans, running, subways. Apparently subways are the reason why Spotify allowed you to download a playlist locally. But if the UI integration is good where you can just click the "Save playlist to my Garmin" button, then I think it would be huge.

The concept of on board music storage doesn't actually make sense to a lot of people, but if you obfuscate it behind something that people do understand, then it works well.

Edit: After some thought, I even more strongly disagree that there isn't a market for this. Every single runner that I know also carries their cell phone so that they can listen to music while they run (and take pictures and use maps, etc, but mainly for music. And my network is not exactly small.)

And on the flip side, everyone in my running group runs with no music at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
And on the flip side, everyone in my running group runs with no music at all.

Out of curiosity, do they run in a group? Doesn't make sense to have music on a group run.

I ran without music for about 15 years, but now I'm running into issues where I end up running way too fast and injure myself. I would get too bored, so running fast is how I would keep my mind distracted. But now I need music or podcasts to slow me down and keep my mind engaged.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We (Team Zoot Captains) got ours on Tuesday at our Team meeting in Carlsbad. I'm going directly from the 920 to this 935. I never had a Fenix. I really like it so far, we were given the Run Dynamics pod as well to play with. I really like the ability to upload your training schedule directly from TP.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
marklemcd wrote:

Exactly. I reckon if you were to observe runners on a popular running route, you'd see 70/80% with headphones on and invariably a huge smartphone strapped to their arm. Easy for a successful company to rest on their laurels and assume they'll never have any competition. Is it arrogance? I don't know, but using Apple as an example, why did they wait so long to start waterproofing their phones, when their rivals had been doing it for over 10 years. And how many Iphones are lost each year to water? Don't you look at your competition, see what they're doing and either try and match them or stay one step ahead?
Quote Reply

Prev Next