Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who else is watching Iron Fist
Quote | Reply
3 episodes in, and it is absolutely terrible.

And yet, I'm enjoying it.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Who else is watching Iron Fist [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Totally agree.

I am 5 episodes in.

How is a guy trained by monks to control his emotions so emotional. He acts like a 12 year old, but I like it.
Last edited by: Triagain3: Mar 27, 17 6:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
terrible is a little bit harsh but its ok. hopefully there will be a second season and they can move past "angry Danny" and allow him to become the immortal ironfist!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm watching it, about half way through. I agree the writing is not too good and I'm giving ii a grade F in its casting choices. Neither Danny or Coleen Wing fit their supposedly super martial arts skill sets.

Definitely not on par with Daredevil. I'm guessing maybe this the final leg before they bring the gang together...DD, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terrible is harsh. It's just a bit ordinary. And even within the canon of Marvel superhero it's improbable. And miscast.

Not terrible but not engrossing in the same way DD or JJ were, but to be honest I found Luke Cage a bit pedestrian.
Quote Reply
Re: Who else is watching Iron Fist [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I'm being kind when I say it's terrible. But i do like the show in spite of itself.

A lot of "good" shows I wind up not enjoying at all.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Critics are widely panning it and calling it Marvels first actual failure. I haven't been watching, but everyone I've heard talk about it has criticized the writing, the acting, the action, etc.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched a couple of episodes, switched to "Into the Badlands" and wrapped that up instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Who else is watching Iron Fist [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought the same thing about him acting like a 12 year old, but then I thought, he was taken from society when he was 10, and this is his real interaction in society since he was 10, so it seemed conceivable that he would be acting childish, because he doesn't know how to be an adult.

I think the show is good. There are a lot of areas that I think could be better, and it could be the worst Marvel (Ironman 2 & 3 were pretty bad in my opinion), but the worst Marvel still seems better than the best DC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The entire family is watching it. We are on ep 5. I even had to make a pinky promise with my wife and 9 year old twins to not watch it without them. LC and JJ were too much for them (but I am a big fan).
Quote Reply
Re: Who else is watching Iron Fist [mdoucette77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm enjoying it, but it's not good, for all the reasons people have mentioned. And the martial arts portrayals suck. It's a show based around a mystical martial arts master, for crying out loud. Would be nice if they spent more effort on the fight scenes. Everyone looks like a white belt.

Jessica Jones is still the best of Netflix's Marvel shows.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Who else is watching Iron Fist [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
I'm enjoying it, but it's not good, for all the reasons people have mentioned. And the martial arts portrayals suck. It's a show based around a mystical martial arts master, for crying out loud. Would be nice if they spent more effort on the fight scenes. Everyone looks like a white belt.

Jessica Jones is still the best of Netflix's Marvel shows.

I agree, I enjoyed it but the martial arts is pathetic, you think they could have hired a decent choreographer. Also for some reason I don't like the visual representation of the actual "Iron Fist" it just doesn't do anything for me.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

IIRC the show was a bit rushed in production so that the Defenders could start shooting. Also, the IF show runner was then switched to the new InHumans TV show so I'm sure that had a negative impact , too.
Quote Reply
Re: Who else is watching Iron Fist [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made it to the end of the season last night. My 2 cents (in no particular order):

- although I read (past tense) comics, I never had any interest in the Iron Fist character. Zero.
- I don't really like the concept of the Iron Fist either. I don't know why; I'm prepared to run with "failed Govt experiment"; "freak industrial accident" until the cows come home. But "went to one of the capitals of heaven, then punched a dragon in the heart". Nah.
- I know diddly squat about the quality of the kung fu on display, but Iron Fist's kung fu abilities seemed to fluctuate wildly depending on who he was up against.
- Likewise, making the fist itself as unreliable as the hyperdrive on the Millenium Falcon seemed like a clumsy plot device.
- Making him the heir to a billion dollar corporation also seemed like a clumsy plot device (spotting a theme) to get up up against the Hand. I much preferred the grittiness of the DD/JJ/LC locations.
- The idea apparently was to play out the Danny Rand/Iron Fist character as a troubled adolescent. OK, in retrospect I get that, and it makes sense given his back story. It's just that it doesn't make for an especially engaging story.
- the whole "you can't be Danny Rand"/"I am" that went on for four episodes would in reality have been sorted out in five minutes by "I am. Remember that Thanksgiving when I showed you mine and you showed me yours and I had that wart? Well I've still got it - LOOK!"
- I felt there was a lost opportunity to provide more insight into the Hand - its current scope/objectives/whatever.
- The supporting cast: Claire was good but came across as pissed off that she was being made to work with amateurs; Colleen Wing was good generally but the "twist"/"untwist" in her character I didn't think was done that well; the Meachum father and son weren't portrayed that convincingly; the Meachum daughter was for me the pick of the supporting characters.
- I found myself flicking my eyes to my iphone/ipad during this a lot more than in any of the DD/JJ/LC series.

All of which is more negative that I think I felt overall towards it. It was ok. not good, not bad. I wanted to watch it to see how the next piece of the jigsaw looks, I suppose, but OTOH there are a good few things on Netflix I've started watching and abandoned because they are real piles of shit. Even if this had not been part of a bigger story, I think I would have stuck with it.

Was kind of expecting to be told that Kyle's surname was Richmond though. That would have been a nice touch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not great, not bad, I keep thinking it's going to get better or it's really just to set up all the tie ins with the other ones. DD, JJ, LC.
is it just my set or when I watch these I have to turn on the light above the TV, they seem filmed so much darker on my set than other shows
Quote Reply
Re: Who else is watching Iron Fist [Garry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I've watched E10 or 11 now. It gets worse. Possibly my tolerance for it wore away. Just too many cringe worthy dialog, WTF story/plot choices, questionable acting, poor martial arts, and bad casting.

I'll finish it out though. Like the poster above, I've found myself surging my phone or ipad during the show.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, spoilers, I guess . . . .

I thought Danny Rand owned 51% of Rand Enterprises. And Joy and Ward owned the remainder. How does the board vote them out of the company? Why do they even have a board?

And how is Ward personally penniless?

I feel like I must be missing something. No way there's a plot hole THAT big, right?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Episode 9, and it's getting worse by the minute.

On the plus side, Netflix just brought back MST3000, and it looks like Iron Fist is ripe for that treatment. Keeping everything in house. Recycle and reuse.

Quote Reply