Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Texas 2017 (official thread)
Quote | Reply
Howdy all,

Athlete guide and bib numbers are now posted.

After the latest fiasco in Cozumel, and the scant amount of training subsequently, I am now really worried that my wife is going to be yelling at me all along the 'run' course something along the lines of "We didn't come all the way to Texas for you walk around some G**Damned Mall!"

How did your training go?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Last edited by: Tri Bread: Mar 24, 17 5:59
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As best as I can tell 2700+ athletes

AJ

IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to it. This will be my first time at IM Texas and am happy to see some familiar names on the bib list. A lot of fast athletes are gonna give it a go and it's going to be a lot of fun. But first, Oceanside 70.3 for me (one of my favorite races). After that I will start getting more excited about Texas. Good luck to you all and have fun out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of happy, kind of not to see it still open. If I have a good race at Galveston and it's still open I may be joining y'all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'll be ready.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time at IMTX...I think I'm ready, but what do I know.

We're driving the RV from the PNW to the Woodlands - the dogs are read for a roadtrip :)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Howdy all,

After the latest fiasco in Cozumel, and the scant amount of training subsequently, I am now really worried that my wife is going to be yelling at me all along the 'run' course something along the lines of "We didn't come all the way to Texas for you walk around some G**Damned Mall!"

Had to back out of IMWI due to scheduling conflicts, and took this race rather than seeing an entry go down the drain (I'm a local, easier to "wing it" logistically). Still not amused with the bike course, I drive the Hardy enough as it is, but so be it!

It's gonna be a nice swim, a great bike ride and a long walk. Since I had a kid at the end of last month, getting out of the house to run has been easier said than done. I'm no long course expert, but I can't see any possibility of having a decent IM marathon while I'm struggling to get 30 mpw.

Now the real question, is this gonna be early enough in the year to be wetsuit legal?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:
Howdy all,

Had to back out of IMWI due to scheduling conflicts, and took this race rather than seeing an entry go down the drain (I'm a local, easier to "wing it" logistically). Still not amused with the bike course, I drive the Hardy enough as it is, but so be it!

It's gonna be a nice swim, a great bike ride and a long walk. Since I had a kid at the end of last month, getting out of the house to run has been easier said than done. I'm no long course expert, but I can't see any possibility of having a decent IM marathon while I'm struggling to get 30 mpw.

Now the real question, is this gonna be early enough in the year to be wetsuit legal?

If not wetsuit legal, hopefully not so hot that they can't at least have a 'wetsuit wave' at the end. Wimpy I know, but training in the winter just did not happen this year, eh.

AJ

IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be there and I will be ready! Nervous about the heat after training in the cold...but I'm going to make the best of whatever happens.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [martyhogan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It just started warming up a bit down here in Texas! Turn up the heat in the house during those trainer rides!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll never stay the official thread if you leave the question mark at the end of it. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Mar 23, 17 13:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:

If not wetsuit legal, hopefully not so hot that they can't at least have a 'wetsuit wave' at the end. Wimpy I know, but training in the winter just did not happen this year, eh.

If that's the case, I may be right there with you, I haven't seen a pool in months and I'm not gonna kick the extra buoyancy/body position out of bed for eating crackers.

Plan right now is to get a few weeks in the pool so as not to be blasted by the yardage come race day and then happily plod along at a 1:50-2:00 min/100yd pace, maybe with a couple trips to 288 lake to get readjusted to the wetsuit that I haven't worn since April last year.

Biking I've kept up with decently, but the run is just gonna suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a picture of the construction at the swim finish area from my run-commute home this evening:

For reference you can see the boathouse across the way. I'm standing on the path where the T1 bags are normally laid out.

Btw, it was very windy down the waterway this evening. It was like a wind tunnel. Felt like I was going to get blown over a few times.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing the photo. I can't remember, are you racing it this year?

AJ

IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be roughing it in the Extended Stay America getting over jet-lag in the 5 days
before the big day. Flying solo for this race so if anyone else is doing something similar
get in touch. First full distance for me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if everyone has seen, but WTC has pulled the Age Group bib list for *revision*. So if you're ordering your TriTats better hold off!!!

Ken
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I can't remember, are you racing it this year?

Oh no, I retired from long course in 2014 and triathlon in 2015. Ultrarunning now with some cycling thrown in for fun.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [I_Tri_4_Sanity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Tri-Tats aren't for free with our check in stuff? I've only
done 4 Euro based 70.3 but the Tats were free and included
with all the other bib swim cap etc. Whats the deal?
Bummer if they aren't....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
The Tri-Tats aren't for free with our check in stuff? I've only
done 4 Euro based 70.3 but the Tats were free and included
with all the other bib swim cap etc. Whats the deal?
Bummer if they aren't....

permanent marker is more aero

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only done the one US-based 70.3 (NOLA), but they were not included. Seems an odd thing to cheap out on, seeing as every local sprint and oly race here includes them.

I do prefer them to the not-yet-awake sharpie scribbles, but $15 is kind of silly to spend to have them for this event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't recall where I read it, but I think there is no penalty for not body marking. It is covered by sleeves on half the folks anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
I can't recall where I read it, but I think there is no penalty for not body marking. It is covered by sleeves on half the folks anyway.

There is no rule for WTC or USAT that requires body marking. It might get mentioned in the athlete guides and all that but it is not required.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [martyhogan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martyhogan wrote:
I will be there and I will be ready! Nervous about the heat after training in the cold...but I'm going to make the best of whatever happens.

Looked at the weather today for the first time...
yikes

AJ

IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
martyhogan wrote:

Looked at the weather today for the first time...
yikes

Looks very mild. Why the yikes?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 2017 (official thread?) [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it depends on where you are from. Currently looking out the window at the ice breaking up in Lake Ontario with a windchill of roughly -2 Celsius.

AJ

IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply

Prev Next