Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Meanwhile Gorsuch goes through Confirmation
Quote | Reply
And we aren't even talking about it.

http://www.foxnews.com/...rmation-hearing.html

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile Gorsuch goes through Confirmation [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

He appears to be qualified, what is there to discuss. He could be perfect and there would be Democrats that wouldn't like him because he's a Republican and he could be horrible and Republicans would still like him because he's a Republican.

He doesn't seem to have done anything egregious so I don't have an issue with him being confirmed. Yes, he's on the right but appears to be fair.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile Gorsuch goes through Confirmation [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just hope the lack of spectacle means he is confirmed by week's end, vs a circus like Clarence Thomas.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I just hope the lack of spectacle means he is confirmed by week's end, vs a circus like Clarence Thomas.

So since you're a recovering Democrat, now a hardcore 2nd Amendment Republican, you think the Thomas confirmation was a circus? It would be interesting to see your comments before you were born again. ;-)

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

He should be confirmed. He seems qualified for the job. I say this as a liberal. Not all of the noise is partisan bs. Trump brings it on himself by being a complete idiot most of the time.

If he could get more respectable people like Gorsuch involved I'd have much less of an issue with his clownshow administration.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile Gorsuch goes through Confirmation [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
TheForge wrote:

He should be confirmed. He seems qualified for the job. I say this as a liberal. Not all of the noise is partisan bs. Trump brings it on himself by being a complete idiot most of the time.

If he could get more respectable people like Gorsuch involved I'd have much less of an issue with his clownshow administration.

Maintaining at minimum a balance on the SCOTUS was my primary reason for voting for Trump. The rest has either been a pleasant surprise or noise. Yes, I wish he would just STFU 90% of the time since most of his problems are self fulfilled, but he sees power in his base. You have to see it from his point of view to understand. It is a political calculation.

In his view, he gains nothing by appeasing a liberal like you. Instead, hoping to appease a rational liberal or even a moderate is blood in the water to partisan leftist. People like me, are going to vote for him no matter what, because the democrats will not support things important to us. His base however, will stay loyal as long as he voices things the way they see it, no matter how bizarre or outrageous they are. There is a reason many blue collar people do not become elected officials, or are even blue collar. As a whole, they have a lot more inarticulate or simple minded people in their midst. So when somebody like trump comes up, who is successful in the white collar world, but talks like them, to them, he is awesome. Obama seemed like he went out of his way to sound like the smartest person in the room. That plays well to his base, and rational leftist leaning people will vote for him no matter what. The moderates are swayable often by the negatives of somebody at the given minute.

I mean, I've been watching the feed from the Gorsuch confirm. While all dems are attacking the republicans withholding Garland and Gorsuch's pro corporations rulings in the past, some of the usual have attacked the literal interpretation of the 2nd amendment. I can't have that. You could have a republican nominee under full investigation, as long as I know they will appoint judges that uphold my beliefs, democrats would have to have a nominee that says I believe the 2nd Amendment is clear and not subject to compromise. There already exist enough laws, I will only enforce those before I introduce new ones. He would then have to pose a laundry list of liberal causes I support. Like reigning in the police state (see my thread I posted this morning, nobody is talking about), a nation wide repeal of the war on drugs, and a refinement of existing social programs before any new ones are introduced. These are not conservative ideas, but never going to happen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Graham brought up the "I" word. Normally I lump Graham as a POS with McCain, but he is politically savy. He has a habit of getting ahead of opposition and bringing up an issue in a way that could diffuse it. I think this statement is three fold.

1. It sends a message that Trump needs to get his shit together. Whether he listens or not is another matter. Some of the BS that is status quo and trump taking a wrecking should be welcomed, but he needs to understand the boundaries. Hopefully this helps him understand that.

2. It sends a message to trump that once in, Gorsuch isn't beholden to Trump. He is beholden to the laws and principles he holds. Serious business. Another boundary.

3. Today Maxine Waters, arguably the stupidest person in congress, elected by stupid people, brought up the impeachment topic. Well, Lindsey Graham took the fire out of it.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...rump/article/2617986

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to look at the link because I didn't understand the reference as it relates to anything the SCOTUS has power to do.

It's a weird reference and there's obviously something behind it, you may be right as to what it is, but it's not like Waters has been the first person to use the word and the whole notion just needs to be quashed.

I think Gorsuch will and should be confirmed and glad there's not much drama around it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My god, Ted Cruz loves to hear himself talk.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile Gorsuch goes through Confirmation [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

He's a master debater.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile Gorsuch goes through Confirmation [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
sphere wrote:

He's a master debater.

His father was a mudder. Loves the slop.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile Gorsuch goes through Confirmation [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are just now realizing this. Look up Ted Cruz talks Queso. You will never take him serious again. I struggle to now.

But I digress, look at this over the top Daily Beast article. I hope he is a wolf in sheeps clothing and radically pushes a conservative agenda just to reverse the damage that lefts have done. Note, I didn't say reverse precedent. Abortion and gay rights have nothing to fear. In fact, I'm probably just fantasizing, I don't see this guy as an ideologue.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/...s-with-ideology.html

Last edited by: TheForge: Mar 21, 17 15:02
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile Gorsuch goes through Confirmation [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just read that article again that I linked above. The author of that is a sick, sick, person.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
He's a master debater.

But is he a cunning linguist?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Maxine Waters, arguably the stupidest person in congress...

Here's where you're wrong. There's no argument. She is the stupidest. Barbara Boxer is retired.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
TheForge wrote:

But, but Diane Feinstein said he was a pro-life extremist.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diane Feinstein gave both a run for their money today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Here's where you're wrong. There's no argument. She is the stupidest. Barbara Boxer is retired.

Patty Murray will give her a run for her money. She has a degree in P.E.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile Gorsuch goes through Confirmation [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Feinstein has a degree in history, why the hell is she on the judiciary committee?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...ring/article/2618079

This exchange about originalism vs living document is nonsense and makes here look like the stupid POS she is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

I don't know, Sheila Jackson Lee may give Maxine a run for her money; and Boxer's replacement may be just as dumb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Schumer is going to try to lead dems in a filibuster.
-
https://www.nytimes.com/...such-nomination.html
Last edited by: dave_w: Mar 23, 17 16:16
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile Gorsuch goes through Confirmation [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In another thread I said the following:

Let's not forget that congress is really just a reflection of society. Even now, you have powerful democratic influencing interest demanding a filibuster of Gorsuch or face primary. Even some of the most politically savy hacks on the democratic side think Gorsuch isn't the stand to force the nuclear option. You do that, and you get nothing in the next one. If the republicans have to use the nuclear option to keep the status quo of a what is mostly a balanced court ideologically, they won't think nothing of using it to turn it red majority.

By doing this, they basically said what the Republicans did is ok when democrats do it. Just like a potential shut down was ok when democrats decide that planned parenthood should be funded.

Reid crossed a rubicon when he removed the filibuster on all appointees but the SCOTUS. Schumer seems determined to force the Republicans to cross the rubicon for SCOTUS appointees. Senate is quickly devolving to the same partisan politics of the house. Further supporting my belief the whole thing will eat itself before too long.

Quote Reply