Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead
Quote | Reply
I'm currently looking at three race helmets. My concerns are as follows:

1. POC Cerebel-Ventilation. Venting looks to be at a minimum. Is this a slow roaster?
2. Smith Podium-More vents and lighter than the POC (330g vs. 380g). I read that crash data may not be good for Smith Helmets?
3. Giro Aerohead-I really think it's an ugly helmet. As well, the wrap around visor is huge leaving a wider surface to pick up scratches on.

Any thoughts and input would be helpful. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i bought the aerohead.. didn't like the way it looked and then thought aobut how hot it's going to be ride in that.
I read rappstar's article on the new Scott Cadence (road aero helmet) and figured, if it's good enough for Kienle to have his best Kona ride under it, it's good enough for me, it worked very well at IM PR yesterday. I was within 1 minute of my predicted bike split. (note said big split was a wild a$$ guess, not a scientifically (BBS, etc) modeled ride)
Last edited by: SDinhofer: Mar 21, 17 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [SDinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDinhofer wrote:
i bought the aerohead.. didn't like the way it looked and then thought aobut how hot it's going to be ride in that.
I read rappstar's article on the new Scott Cadence (road aero helmet) and figured, if it's good enough for Kienle to have his best Kona ride under it, it's good enough for me, it worked very well at IM PR yesterday. I was within 1 minute of my predicted bike split.

Thanks for posting about another alternative helmet. I'm wondering if anyone has any information about the helmets listed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not consider a LG Po9? I love mine, it's light and very well ventilated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The POC is surprisingly well ventilated despite its appearance. Certainly better ventilated than the Aerohead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
SDinhofer wrote:
I read rappstar's article on the new Scott Cadence (road aero helmet) and figured, if it's good enough for Kienle to have his best Kona ride under it, it's good enough for me, it worked very well at IM PR yesterday. I was within 1 minute of my predicted bike split.

Thanks for posting about another alternative helmet. I'm wondering if anyone has any information about the helmets listed?

My Giro Aerohead MIPS came yesterday and the first impression is good because I have a very big head, most helms do not fit but this one is ok (as my old Giro advantage).

My second impression is also ok after reading this
http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...-triathlon-aero.html
Here also the trick was shown to click the visor on the top of the helmet (if it rains or so)

Now I will try it out this week on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3. Have you played HALO seriese before?
Aerohead looks like aliens' helm.....
Or looks like the helm of operators in Deathstar

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The POC is surprisingly well ventilated despite its appearance. Certainly better ventilated than the Aerohead.

I found the same when racing in the POC, did not feel hot at all. I also had no fogging issues.

The giro is just fugly and is reported to be very hot.

I used to have a P-09, and found it quite hot as well, but others seem to really like it..

For this year I plan to either use a POC again or the Scott Cadence (leaning towards this). Only small concern with Scott for me is the obvious need to wear sunglasses.....don't find them comfortable for 3+ hour rides and tend to sweat into them.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm kind of liking the Smith. It has two vents above the visor and visor vents. It also has two large rear vents. It's a short tail like the POC. The visor is supposed to be high quality at Smith specializes in optics. MIPS is utilized in the helmet as well.

I like the camo or white. The camo just looks badass imho.

https://gzmyu4ma9b-flywheel.netdna-ssl.com/...bicycle-helmet07.jpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
2. Smith Podium-More vents and lighter than the POC (330g vs. 380g). I read that crash data may not be good for Smith Helmets?

Just out of interest, where did you read this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:

https://www.bikerumor.com/...ps-new-tttri-helmet/

At the bottom of the article under comments someone linked to a study that included the Smith Forefront and other helmets. It's likely a terrible comparison and inaccurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the POC and love it, used it for an ultra du in fair weather and for an Iron in rain and hail and an international distance in November in NYC. All vastly different weather, never any temp problems. I had my best season on the bike as well. I do not have a pumpkin size head, i know a few guys who can't use it do to size.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the opposite- POC hotter than Giro. Neither bad enough to cause a concern tho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

I found the same when racing in the POC, did not feel hot at all. I also had no fogging issues.

The giro is just fugly and is reported to be very hot.

I used to have a P-09, and found it quite hot as well, but others seem to really like it..

For this year I plan to either use a POC again or the Scott Cadence (leaning towards this). Only small concern with Scott for me is the obvious need to wear sunglasses.....don't find them comfortable for 3+ hour rides and tend to sweat into them.

I wore the Aerohead at two races last year. Augusta 70.3 which was hot, and Cartagena 70.3 which was off the charts hot and humid (race day heat index peaked at around 110). I didn't think it was any hotter than any other aero helmet I've worn in hot environments, which are the LG Vorttice, LG P-09, Kask Bambino, and Rudy Wingspan.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the fugly comment.... :) Personal preference!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:

I'm getting some very good feedback. Thanks everyone.

I really like the Smith Podium. I like the shape, venting, MIPS, and visor. Any thoughts? The camo pattern is pretty sick, but I'm wondering if I'll wish I had bought white a few years down the road? The white is somewhat plain whereas the camo is kind of trendy. I wear a black kit with a blacked out bike so either helmet would work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:

I really like the Smith Podium. I like the shape, venting, MIPS, and visor. Any thoughts? The camo pattern is pretty sick, but I'm wondering if I'll wish I had bought white a few years down the road? The white is somewhat plain whereas the camo is kind of trendy. I wear a black kit with a blacked out bike so either helmet would work.

Couple thoughts
1. The smith looks like its shape is really similar to the POC. I'm guessing if you shop around, you can find the POC for $100 less than the smith.
2. I wouldn't base your decision on what you think you may like 3 years down the road....lots of folks won't use a helmet that long anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:

Couple thoughts
1. The smith looks like its shape is really similar to the POC. I'm guessing if you shop around, you can find the POC for $100 less than the smith.
2. I wouldn't base your decision on what you think you may like 3 years down the road....lots of folks won't use a helmet that long anyway.

These are great points. The Smith and POC helmet shapes are the main selling factor for me, and they're about the same. Competitive Cyclist had a MARCH20 (20%) off coupon, but I missed out while trying to decide on a helmet, thinking that the coupon would last through March. That would have saved some money, although they don't have the Smith in the camo color.

You're also right about overvaluing the longevity of equipment. The helmet will likely be used for 3-5 years. Beyond that timeframe, who knows...By then something else will be "cool".
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [SDinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDinhofer wrote:
I read rappstar's article on the new Scott Cadence (road aero helmet) and figured, if it's good enough for Kienle to have his best Kona ride under it, it's good enough for me, it worked very well at IM PR yesterday. I was within 1 minute of my predicted bike split. (note said big split was a wild a$$ guess, not a scientifically (BBS, etc) modeled ride)

Very good writeup from rappstar on the Scott Cadence. I'm considering buying one to use for racing and training. Seems like the best of 1) aero 2) weight on head/neck 3) venting/coolness 4) ability to wear sunglasses (visor could be problematic for rainy or humid races).

Before I purchase, does anyone have recs or comparisons to the other aero road helmets? One commenter asked about the Specialized Evade, but didn't see a response.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:

At the bottom of the article under comments someone linked to a study that included the Smith Forefront and other helmets. It's likely a terrible comparison and inaccurate.

I was foolish enough to follow the click trail. A Swedish Insurance company rated it poorly in the direct impact test because it was "too stiff." The same study/test gave the highest marks to an airbag. An airbag worn around the head and deployed during an accident. I can't say I know a thing about helmet testing, but this seemed a bit silly.

I prefer lenses/shields on helmet over glasses and the cooling potential for the Smith caught my eye. Lots of cool options in this thread though.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:

I was foolish enough to follow the click trail. A Swedish Insurance company rated it poorly in the direct impact test because it was "too stiff." The same study/test gave the highest marks to an airbag. An airbag worn around the head and deployed during an accident. I can't say I know a thing about helmet testing, but this seemed a bit silly.

I prefer lenses/shields on helmet over glasses and the cooling potential for the Smith caught my eye. Lots of cool options in this thread though.

The more I read about the Smith, the more there is to like about it. The visor apparently does not fog when tested even in humid conditions. As well, the ventilation looks excellent. I was worried about it getting hot, but I also read that color will not affect the temperature of the helmet, due to what amounts to essentially a "Styrofoam" liner inside the helmet. I initially thought white would be advantageous, but that does not appear to be the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
The more I read about the Smith, the more there is to like about it. The visor apparently does not fog when tested even in humid conditions. As well, the ventilation looks excellent. I was worried about it getting hot, but I also read that color will not affect the temperature of the helmet, due to what amounts to essentially a "Styrofoam" liner inside the helmet. I initially thought white would be advantageous, but that does not appear to be the case.

It's pretty cool just that it's so different and the lenses should be good. We're only going off "looks" aero, well ventilated, etc. at this point though. There's just something about that goofy camo or bright colors popping out the back that look so wrong that they start to look right if you stare long enough. I bet that black, white, red one would match a LOT of bikes and kits too.

A medium Aerohead fits me quite well and comes in a lot cheaper. IMBA members get 30% off of Smith bike helmets which puts the Podium TT right at $250 as well. It would be pretty hard to buy one sight unseen without knowing more about the fit and ear flaps though.

Man we are off topic...
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife likes the black, red, and white helmet. It would easily match my black bike and kit.

I'm going to have to pick one. I envision throwing on camo and getting ready to battle every time! Although, it's quite trendy and would be my only aero helmet the base colors would be safer. Smith is already sold out of the camo in large so it must be popular.

dangle wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:

It's pretty cool just that it's so different and the lenses should be good. We're only going off "looks" aero, well ventilated, etc. at this point though. There's just something about that goofy camo or bright colors popping out the back that look so wrong that they start to look right if you stare long enough. I bet that black, white, red one would match a LOT of bikes and kits too.

A medium Aerohead fits me quite well and comes in a lot cheaper. IMBA members get 30% off of Smith bike helmets which puts the Podium TT right at $250 as well. It would be pretty hard to buy one sight unseen without knowing more about the fit and ear flaps though.

Man we are off topic...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it is worth. The POC generally tests pretty well. The Aerohead has been consistently one of the top 2 helmets we've tested since it came out. The difference for you could be 0 watts or 5 watts, on average that has been the delta between them. I really like the looks of the POC and those that have it don't seem to have issues with ventilation. That being said if I were going to buy one without testing it first I'd go with the AeroHead. It is also less expensive.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel, Smith Podium, or Giro Aerohead [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered the Smith Podium, full disclosure they are a sponsor, and should have it shortly. I plan on taking it into the tunnel at FASTER and compare it to my Giro Aerohead which did test better for me vs the LP-09.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Mar 23, 17 15:43
Quote Reply

Prev Next