Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Send me your diets!!
Quote | Reply
I need help fellow women triathletes!! I've been hearing mixed reviews on certain "diets" for endurance athletes. These reviews are coming from non- triathletes. I'd really love to hear your thoughts and ideas on what your diets are like- especially those of you who race half and full ironman distances!

Thanks- love you all!

Kaitlin Switzer
KaitlinX3
Quote Reply
Re: Send me your diets!! [KaitlinX3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you need to lose weight? Count calories and work with a certified dietician if necessary to make sure you are getting all your nutrient needs met.

Don't need to lose weight? Work with a certified dietician to figure out what works best for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Send me your diets!! [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!! I do need to get with a dietician!

Kaitlin Switzer
KaitlinX3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Move more, eat less, and no crap food. It's as simple as that.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you read The Endurance Diet by Matt Fitzgerald (who is one of us)? IMHO it is the best "guide" out there.

The Endurance Diet: Discover the 5 Core Habits of the World’s Greatest Athletes to Look, Feel, and Perform Better

I started eating "close to the earth" several years ago with no specific goal or reason other than just general health and well being. Since then, I've never been healthier and eating box food just seems so weird now. I haven't had the flu or a cold in at least 5 years and I rebound from injuries so quick now (even though I'm getting old). My "sick days" at work are actually mid-week long bike rides - I sneak in 8 per year! Its awesome really. It has been pretty easy and fun to do. I do acknowledge that I probably don't enough protein early in the day. Just not in the habit of it.

Anyway, now my "extra pounds" are easily traced and remedied. And it always comes back to too much fun with the GFs (eating and drinking from eateries) and boredom food at work. When I cut that I get back to healthy weight. If only I didn't want to have fun and I was never bored.... Oh well. As mum always said, food makes fat, exercise makes fitness.

Breakfast (at around 5 or 6, depending on workouts):
OJ, porridge, fresh fruit, soy milk, coffee

Breakfast #2 (at around 10):
Scrambled eggs made with olive oil

Lunch:
Carbs. Wholegrain homemade pasta with homemade pesto today.

Lunch #2 (around 3):
Tuna or chicken on tomatoes with pepper today.

Dinner (we eat at around 7 or 8... DINK):
Mega salad (seriously, 17 vegetables)
Either fish tacos or veggie burritos. Or fajitas.

Anyway, read that book. I think it is pretty legit.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Send me your diets!! [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow thank you so much for all
Of that amazing information!!!! And I'll be looking up that book right now!!! Thank you thank you thank you !!

-kaitlin

Kaitlin Switzer
KaitlinX3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Have you read The Endurance Diet by Matt Fitzgerald (who is one of us)? IMHO it is the best "guide" out there.

The Endurance Diet: Discover the 5 Core Habits of the World’s Greatest Athletes to Look, Feel, and Perform Better

what are the 5 core habits?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Send me your diets!! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

what are the 5 core habits?

1. Eat Everything
2. Eat Quality
3. Eat Carbs
4. Eat Enough
5. Eat Individually

#4 is where my historical diets fell apart. I'd be training 10 hours a week and trying to diet on some crazy 1,300 calorie/day and then I'd lose it and binge. If I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm satisfied I don't go bonkers.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, but that's really the only "diet" I follow. On Monday my day looked like

Snack: cliff bar, coffee
[8.5 mi run + 1800 yd swim; 100 cal shot bloks before the swim]
Breakfast: sweet lime, 400 cal. strawberry kiefer
Lunch: salad (lettuce, pickles, croutons, EVOO, balsamic), 4 hard boiled eggs
Snack: avocado
Snack: 1c chex mix, 1/2 c mixed salted nuts
Dinner: giant burrito (tortilla, cheese, pinto beans, rice, sour cream)

today
Snack: cliff bar, coffee
[6 mi run]
Breakfast: 4 oz plain greek yogurt, 120 cal. vitamin water
Snack: 1/2 c applesauce
[1500 yd swim]
Lunch: large piece of cake; went right from the pool to a birthday party
Lunch 2: 4 scrambled eggs, 1/3 c shredded cheese
Snack: 1c lowfat plain yogurt w/ honey
Dinner: 2 veggie burgers, baked potato w/ sour cream

I guess I'd say the things I eat every day are eggs, yogurt or kiefer, cheese, and a cliff bar (that sits well in my stomach pre-workout). I try to focus on getting enough protein and enough calcium more than anything else.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Mar 22, 17 17:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These re awesome ideas!!! Thank you sooooo much for sharing!!!!!
Happy training!!!

-Kaitlin X3

Kaitlin Switzer
KaitlinX3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can never go wrong with oatmeal for breakfast. Throw in blueberries instead of sugar, because let's face it plain oatmeal is gross (I always keep a bag of blueberries in the freezer). Even a small portion keeps you satisfied till lunch.
Quote Reply
Re: Send me your diets!! [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh that sounds sooooo good! I do love oatmeal! Thank you!

Kaitlin Switzer
KaitlinX3
Quote Reply
Re: Send me your diets!! [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
let's face it plain oatmeal is gross

Oatmeal with salt & pepper is awesome - just think of it as risotto instead of the sugary muck from those instant packets. Add an egg (either lightly fried and thrown on top, or cooked right in the pot if you're not doing instant oats) and it's freakin' heaven.

Quote | Reply
Interesting -- I never considered the savoury option. Thanks for the suggestion!
Quote Reply
Re: Send me your diets!! [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
let's face it plain oatmeal is gross
Oatmeal with salt & pepper is awesome - just think of it as risotto instead of the sugary muck from those instant packets. Add an egg (either lightly fried and thrown on top, or cooked right in the pot if you're not doing instant oats) and it's freakin' heaven.

LOL, I've always liked plain oatmeal - I like bland :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the opposite. My oatmeal is fancy. I actually just started adding kiwi and it is amaz.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks like the kind of oatmeal that I wish I could be bothered to make but usually it's quick oats in the microwave with a half teaspoon of raw honey (currently working my way through a jar I picked up in South Africa).

Edited to add: if I'm feeling like putting some effort in, I make the FeedZone muesli (https://books.google.ca/...20muesli&f=false)
Last edited by: Scheherazade: Mar 24, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that looks good! I'm not opposed to fancy oatmeals, but I do like bland too

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Milly.S [ In reply to ]
Re: Send me your diets!! [Milly.S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a source/reference for this article?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - that's the trick. Be sure you are eating enough... it's hard to adjust to, but you'll definitely notice a difference in your performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Send me your diets!! [Milly.S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
"General athlete's diet Note:

Pay attention to acid-base balance

This is pseudo-science.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any ladies out there using First Endurance product for fuel (pre, during, post)? EFS? Ultragen?

A handful of folks in my tri club swear by it. I'm so granola that I'm just not sure about supplements, etc. But it is tempting to give it a try. I tend to shy away from the sugary stuff but it looks like there isn't a bunch of sugar in it. I've been thinking about it for the trail races and 70.3s. I normally shove real food in my pockets and graze on it. Sometimes I'll have sports beans, but that is only because they are a fun candy to eat.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used EFS Liquid Shot for all kinds of racing since about 2011. Absolutely love it, except the price. I mix the vanilla and "Kona mocha" flavours in a flask to make vanilla latte gel - yum!

I'm not a big fan of sport drinks but have used the EFS crystals and they're ok. My allergies prevent me from using Ultragen (due to the whey protein) but I did try it a few times before I knew dairy was a problem and had good recovery apart from the undesirable side-effects.

Quote | Reply
I notice the tips post on zhidao.Baidu, by Jiaxuefenghs who works in a hospital, I translate the tips from Chinese, I didn't good at it, hope it can help OP.[/url]

exercise and stay young.
Quote Reply

Prev Next