Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2017 March Madness
Quote | Reply
No tourney thread yet?

This 4-day stretch is my favorite sports weekend of the year.

Yesterday went perfectly, a win for UVA (who every idiot talking head picked to lose in an upset), and VT, VCU and Maryland lose. Does it get any better???

Will be interesting to see if Nova' can get back to the Final Four. I think Nova beats the winner of UVA/FL but loses to Duke.

As much as I hate Duke, and I hate them plenty, I see them as the odds on favorite to win the whole thing.

Story of the day yesterday was the poor kid from Vandy who intentionally fouled when his team was up by 1! Wow - talk about lack of awareness. Tough way to lose.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 March Madness [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C'mon. It was Vandy. That's what Vandy does.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 March Madness [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 March Madness [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

I've watched a lot of basketball in my life and I don't think I've ever seen that happen. How the hell do you not know that your team is winning?

Damn.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't attend a big sports college and in Boston no one cares about the local teams (I have the tiniest allegiance to BC, so I'll root for them when it's an option), so the tourney is always about upsets and good games.

And having said that, yesterday sucked. Thank god for the Northwestern game, that was the only drama of the entire day and even the 'upsets' (Xavier and Middle Tenn) were somewhat expected. Three games total with a margin of victory of 5 or less...

Hopefully we get some more upsets and buzzer beaters today. BUT - I'm with you, I love these four days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

I've watched a lot of basketball in my life and I don't think I've ever seen that happen. How the hell do you not know that your team is winning?

Damn.

How do you not know your team is out of time outs?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 March Madness [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
jepvb wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

Damn.

How do you not know your team is out of time outs?

The Webber gaff was in a much bigger spotlight, obviously, but in my mind nowhere near as big a blunder. Even if the coaches told the players there were no TOs, its natural instinct as a player to call a TO when you are in a bind. I did in many times in my high school playing days.

But not knowing the damn score of the game - come on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the NCAA Tourney theme song! Did you know there were lyrics?

"THE LOST LYRICS"
Come on and watch some basketball, you'll
watch it all... day... long...Come on and watch
some basketball, til.. your... pool sheet is done!
..Come on and watch some basketball, it's got it
all...Tour-na-ment Madness ... Throw in a few
parlays, Gambling is fun!... Walton and Wooden
own the court, don't try them out...
you'll....lose... Packer and Nantz call all the
ganmes, just watch... Billy be wrong... Come on
and watch some basketball, your wife is mad...
send..her out shopping...Coach K is gay... Duke
really sucks

(Credit Steve Czaban)

Last edited by: JSA: Mar 17, 17 17:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:

Will be interesting to see if Nova' can get back to the Final Four. I think Nova beats the winner of UVA/FL but loses to Duke.

Nope!

BUCKY!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brackets be busted
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 March Madness [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
brackets be busted

Not mine!

BUCKY!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
No tourney thread yet?

This 4-day stretch is my favorite sports weekend of the year.

Yesterday went perfectly, a win for UVA (who every idiot talking head picked to lose in an upset), and VT, VCU and Maryland lose. Does it get any better???

As much as I hate Duke, and I hate them plenty, I see them as the odds on favorite to win the whole thing.

Story of the day yesterday was the poor kid from Vandy who intentionally fouled when his team was up by 1! Wow - talk about lack of awareness. Tough way to lose.

Nova losing to Duke in the Elite 8. Duke winning it all. Dude, you nailed it!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Office Pool:

12/16 sweet 16 teams in, 3/4 final 4.

Kentucky vs. Arizona in my final with Kentucky winning.
Last edited by: kppolich: Mar 19, 17 21:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I turned on CBS to watch some of the games this evening but all they had on was Madam Secretary. So I decided to watch Netflix. (No cable for me.)

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What an awful weekend, until Dook lost. UVA's performance was cringe worthy.

The ACC crapped the bed while throwing up on itself. Had Arkansas not choked away the lead with 3 minutes left, the ACC would've been completely shut out of the Sweet 16.

So great to see Dook get beat. Of course coach K gave the "I only had 7 players" excuse. Never mind that they are all McDonald's AAs. Always the consummate douche.

My bracket is officially toast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The day Duke loses in the NCAAs. Best day of the year....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
jepvb wrote:

Nope!

BUCKY!!!

I had Nova but I'm a Big 10 fan so I'm not really upset about this. Big 10 did well over the weekend. I love March Madness, up until 1:30 Saturday night, Sunday morning watching coverage.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 March Madness [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So ... Big 10 has 3 teams* in the Sweet 16. ACC has 1 (of 7).

Were the college rankings and the tourney seeds set by the same group of pollsters who worked the 2016 Presidential election?

*If Northwestern doesn't get the screw job of the tourney on the non-goal-tending-call, it could be 4 teams.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Were the college rankings and the tourney seeds set by the same group of pollsters who worked the 2016 Presidential election?

*If Northwestern doesn't get the screw job of the tourney on the non-goal-tending-call, it could be 4 teams.

I'm part of a basketball official's forum and there has been A LOT of talk about that non-call. There are even a few there defending the officials for missing the basket interference and hoping it doesn't affect their ability to move forward in the tournament.

I'm evaluated during each game of the high school playoffs and if I have a bad game, I don't move on. There is no reason it should be different at a higher level.

It goes to show that everyone in a game makes mistakes, unfortunately the timing can suck for some.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 March Madness [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
JSA wrote:

I'm part of a basketball official's forum and there has been A LOT of talk about that non-call. There are even a few there defending the officials for missing the basket interference and hoping it doesn't affect their ability to move forward in the tournament.

I'm evaluated during each game of the high school playoffs and if I have a bad game, I don't move on. There is no reason it should be different at a higher level.

It goes to show that everyone in a game makes mistakes, unfortunately the timing can suck for some.

NW fans should stop complaining about the missed call and blame Collins for getting T'd up at the worst possible time. They should act like they've been there before, but I guess they haven't.

Based on the regular season, the ACC absolutely deserved 10 teams in the tourney. The committee was fine.

The ACC just flat out underperformed - not the committee's fault. On the contrary, Big 10 has overperformed - good for them. Although Wiscy as an 8 seed was a criminal underseed. Michigan is the big surprise to me. I didn't give much stock to the conference tourney performance. There were times during the regular season that Michigan flat out sucked. They are on fire right now.

After the Dook win, I'm pulling for the 'Cocks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NW fans should stop complaining about the missed call and blame Collins for getting T'd up at the worst possible time.

Every time I see this sort of thing the first thought I have is how fast the coach would bench a player if he did the same thing.

My happiness index went up markedly when I got to see this:

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

And if a Vandy player doesn't have a complete brainlock, NW might not have even been playing this weekend. If if's and buts were beers and nuts.....

The ACC had some big wins non-conference that set them apart. I think the issue was, the best teams in that league never progressed over the course of the year and when the middling teams in the ACC got wins against them, instead of questioning the strength of the top teams the media attributed it to the overall quality of the league. The ACC was still the best conference from top to bottom all year. But they are one meltdown by Arkansas away from having no teams alive.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 March Madness [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
one meltdown by Arkansas ......

That wasn't so much a meltdown by Arkansas as it was a lockdown by one of the best teams in the nation.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My notes from watching the first round games in Excremento:

1. Oregon cheerleaders are hot! Almost better than USC cheerleaders.

2. Iona has a little person (for the Forges of the world, that's a midget) cheerleader. That was cool. (Was hoping that she'd be the bottom of the pyramid, but she was the cap. That was an easy call.)

3. Creighton vs. Rhode Island. The most miserable game I've ever seen. Two miserable crappy teams that shouldn't be in the tournament. Justin Patton is overrated -- needs at least one if not more years in college to develop. Otherwise, he'll be a flop in the NBA.

Edit to add: Creighton is only know for their miserable, fuckwad alums. (see, e.g., JSA.)

4. UCLA is really good, but young and undisciplined. Probably, player by player, the most talented team in the tournament. But with "one and done," they won't go anywhere this year or next.

5. A full day at a dry arena is painful. It's college. Why no liquor?
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Mar 20, 17 17:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next