Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pay as you go phone
Quote | Reply
I'd like to get a pay as you go phone, that can be left at my house for emergencies. We don't have a land line, and I'd like something to be available in the house at all times. My oldest is 10, and pretty soon he'll able to stay at home by himself for short stints. The plan is to just put something in a drawer, and it could sit there for months. I've seen a few phone that I can pre-purchase minutes, but the minutes expire after 3 months or they require a monthly charge.

Has anyone found a good option for this type of situation?
Quote Reply
Re: Pay as you go phone [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping bc I am in the same situation with our kiddo. Those phone plans have gone way up in price once u consider the expiration. Was trying to get a google voice number set up on an old phone but couldn't figure out how to not have it tied to my cell number. That seemed like a good option but I am now stuck. Hope someone can help us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a MagicJack GO type option? when my in-laws had their place in FL that's what they did, it was like 10$ per year to have the number and it used the home internet to make the calls. I think the device is only 50 bucks... they'd bring it with them everywhere, it worked as long as you had an internet connection...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a cheapo ATT gophone about 3 yrs ago -- phone and texts only.
calls 10c /min texts 20c.

If you plonk down $100/year up front the $$ rolls over

I still have $212 on my account, so you can work out how little I use it.
Fits good for your scenario

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know about the U.S. but in Canada we used to be able to buy a phone with a pre-paid card at any corner store, all you did was call the number to activate the card and off you go, when you used up the card you just bought another card and reactivate, the cops said no because drug dealers were using them and they were outlawed pretty quick. Cops always ruin everything...lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ting may be an option. https://ting.com/rates (my referral link: https://z1cnhp3m2ha.ting.com/)
Bring your own device, pay $6 monthly for the connection and $3 monthly for 100 minutes, if used.

Quote | Reply
Last year, I bought a Spare One Emergency Phone. I bought it from AT&T for about $60, and bought a $25 Go Phone card to give me 120 minutes that don't expire for a year.

It's exactly what I needed and wanted. I don't need a smartphone, but I did need an emergency phone to have while on the road. I think I only made two, short phone calls all year. Since I never turn it on unless I make a call (or am expecting a call), the AA batteries are the originals. (I like not having to charge batteries, and can quickly drop in some new AA's whenever I need to.)

It may look like a toy, but it works.

I see that Amazon now sells the phone: https://www.amazon.com/...-Phone/dp/B00D6LNC1O
Quote Reply
Re: Pay as you go phone [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
Don't know about the U.S. but in Canada we used to be able to buy a phone with a pre-paid card at any corner store, all you did was call the number to activate the card and off you go, when you used up the card you just bought another card and reactivate, the cops said no because drug dealers were using them and they were outlawed pretty quick. Cops always ruin everything...lol

I'm not sure that this is true. I bought a 711 phone for my wife back in the day as she barely used it. It looks like it's still a thing and hasn't been "outlawed":

https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/

If you're in Canada, this is your best bet.
Quote Reply