Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Squaring a Compound Mitre Saw
Quote | Reply
I have one of those piece of shit King Canada's and for the love of god I can not get the fucking thing true. Following their instruction's every thing lines up fine until I do the inevitable and get the silly idea that the back fence needs to be tightened down. This in turn causes the fence to move back to it's old out of whack position. Oh how I wish I had the cash for a real saw. Did I mention that this thing is a piece of shit?
Quote Reply
Re: Squaring a Compound Mitre Saw [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
instead if tightening the fence, can you clamp it?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before I bought the Hitachi, I had a small Ryobi where the left and right sides of the fence weren't parallel (fence was bent). To compensate, I just used the left side and compensated by subtracting a degree or so from my cut angle.

Good luck.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Squaring a Compound Mitre Saw [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point, I'll try a new back fence and if that doesn't work I'll put behind the super duty and do a super tune.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. Square is fine on mine. Angles are what confuses it. They just aren't accurate enough to get good fit. I didn't go top shelf but enough you should be able to make a damn square.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Squaring a Compound Mitre Saw [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could justify a 12" makita or dewalt however I want a new fence for table saw too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took me a long time to get mine fully square - but I eventually bought this set for true miter cuts - it is brilliant

https://miterset.myshopify.com/

Good luck

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Last edited by: feman: Mar 19, 17 9:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weld the fucker on.
Quote Reply
Re: Squaring a Compound Mitre Saw [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May as well. The POS is warped anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
I wish I could justify a 12" makita or dewalt however I want a new fence for table saw too.
On the verge of buying one. They just came down in price for some reason.
I allot bought a cheaper one but afraid of what you ran into. Or blade wobble, read about that in reviews a lot.

I like the weld idea

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Squaring a Compound Mitre Saw [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Milwaukee 6955-20 looks like exactly what I want
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The desalt version of that here is $400. Model without the slide cut feature is down to $299. No laser line though.

I usually up sell myself when it comes to tools.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The DeWalt is a fantastic saw. Ive got the 10" DCSM saw. That is my go to workhorse. I've built houses, decks, done finishing, hauled in/out of the truck, banged around, dropped, every day over 6 years in all types of weather and has only needed minor adjustments from time to time.

I'm no DeWalt fan boy but that saw owes me absolutely nothing. I'll get another for sure.

If I were to have a saw set up in a shop that wouldn't see much abuse, I could see myself with the Makita (which is my usual preference).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Squaring a Compound Mitre Saw [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a strong review! The one I usually borrow is a dewalt 12". The owner does side work building. Decks, additions, finishing basements and things like that. He's beat the piss out of it and it still cuts true. At least to my DIY eye.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you really want to up-sell yourself you could try this:

https://www.festoolusa.com/...und-miter-saw-561287

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I don't have one of those but i LOVE their track circular saw. Renders the table saw almost obsolete for larger pieces.

As far as a miter goes. I inherited a POS hitachi and it's tough to get a decent cut from it. If I graduate from pallet furniture to real cabinetry I'll spring for something more competent.
Quote Reply
Re: Squaring a Compound Mitre Saw [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I don't have one of those but i LOVE their track circular saw. Renders the table saw almost obsolete for larger pieces.

As far as a miter goes. I inherited a POS hitachi and it's tough to get a decent cut from it. If I graduate from pallet furniture to real cabinetry I'll spring for something more competent.

I lust after their track saw. I have a small garage, and would love to use that instead of trying to manhandle sheet goods in that tiny space. I recently bought a festool dust extractor which generally lives attached to the table saw, but could easily use with their track saw (that and I need to find as many uses for the thing as I can... it's hard to justify having what is essentially a $1000 shop vac).

Quote Reply
Re: Squaring a Compound Mitre Saw [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:

Contrarian advice: ditch the POS CMS. Look around a bit and get yourself an old Dewalt radial arm saw, preferably a 50 year-old round arm like a GW (or a GA if you want a light industrial machine). The old Delta turret saws are good, too. Radial arm saws are out of fashion, and good ones show up on Craigslist regularly for $100 or so in good shape. Tune it up, put a good blade on it, and adjust it once, and it will cut square and true for the rest of your life.
Quote Reply
Re: Squaring a Compound Mitre Saw [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the biggest issue with radial arm saws is portability. Pretty hard to lug 'em around to job sites which really shouldn't be an issue for the home hobbyist's such as myself. Hmmmm, this could be an enabling moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I could talk myself into that !

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a few tools from Festool, and while they are well thought out and have a certain bling factor, there aren't many that I feel justify the price tag. They also seem to have durability issues. I haven't really seen many in use professionally. DeWalt, Bosch, Makita (and, IMO to a lesser degree) Milwaukee usually make comparable offerings at half the price that will last you longer. Festool's big thing is dust collection integration, but in the last few years the other manufacturers have been catching up (largely due to health and safety regulation, I think).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
I think the biggest issue with radial arm saws is portability. Pretty hard to lug 'em around to job sites which really shouldn't be an issue for the home hobbyist's such as myself. Hmmmm, this could be an enabling moment.

You want portable? Just put it on a trailer!

Yeah, they do weigh a bit. The one above is a GR and weighs about 400 lbs. A GW weighs about 200. The smallest Dewalt made was the MB series; they swing a 9" blade. I'd guess they weigh 100 lbs or so.

The best of these for a home shop would probably be a GWI (1.5 hp motor, 10" blade), or a GA (2 hp, 12/14" blade).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far I'm having decent luck with my Ridgid chop saw.
It is on house number four
Quote Reply
Re: Squaring a Compound Mitre Saw [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May have found a Dewalt 770 close by, motor is dual voltage and I just happen to have a lonely 220v plug waiting for a new friend - assuming the amperage is correct. Just waiting for a call back.
Quote Reply
Re: Squaring a Compound Mitre Saw [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rigid tools are pretty solid for their price point. I used to be a big fan of their table saws (recently switched to Bosch - a better saw, but, a lot more expensive), and have some of their finishing nailers which are fantastic. Love their chop saw stand too.

Quote Reply

Prev Next