Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heart Rate related question.
Quote | Reply
So I was doing some interval training yesterday with 30 lbs of gear on and instead of wearing my garmin, I used a phone tucked away where I couldn't watch the real time results. At one point I was sprinting uphill and I reached an exhaustion level I haven't felt in years. No pain, but feeling on the verge of being winded, come to find out I had reached a heart rate of 191 and sustained it for only about 10 seconds. But solidly over 180 for 30 seconds. I've done a few crits where I managed to ramp up to 179, but I don't recall ever going that high except in rare circumstances where equipment spiked and it was obvious. Going from 130 to 220 or 190 for 10 seconds. Is this a fluke? Is it an issue? Or does this just happen and it may be a benefit. I did some reading last night and for an 38 male, that is very unusual.

There was no pain and after the spring I took the pace and inclined down and walked for about minute before doing medium pace running.

Oh, I also took a benedryl before for allergies.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate related question. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heart rates are weird. im no expert but mine always gets that high in max efforts.

it could be an early indication that you're sick.

also, hr monitors can experience electrical interference. ive had my garmin spike into the high 200's, no way my hr was that high.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your max heart rate running and riding are different.

The last time I consistently wore a HRM (1-2 years ago) as an early 30 something, my peaks were 210ish running (last 100M of a 5k) and 202ish riding (sprinting for glory in a crit).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's very individual of course. 191 is certainly not that out of the ordinary at 38. If your crits were recent then a 10 beat differential is quite common for running vs the bike (where you typically can't get as high on). I haven't raced for several years now. When I was 37 I ran a 12k and averaged 183bpm. Hitting higher number for such a short window I would not have thought is a concern.

You never know though. People younger than us drop dead from heart attacks. I posted a thread in the main forum about a year ago regarding pushing it past the age of 40. I had been going hard on the bike, attacking strava KOM's to the point where I felt like I was about to roll off the bike and kick the bucket. I worried whether it was the right thing to do. It became a popular thread and the overwhelming consensus was to keep smashing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heart rate is really only a useful metric in the aggregate. Day-to-day variations in sleep, nutrition, fatigue, and general well-being can cause large swings in your heart rate. Pharmaceuticals absolutely have an affect on suppressing/accelerating heart rate as well.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I regularly go over 180 for 1-2 minutes on a couple of hills with my riding group. I have had many hard efforts sustained for 5-10 minutes where I stayed at 175-ish during the entire effort. Max HR for me is 186. I am 60 years old, if that means anything.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate related question. [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. Like I said, no pain and a little longer recovery between intervals, but having not had my eye on an actual monitor I definitely knew I was pushing harder, so it wasn't an equipment spike. My 20 minute average was just under 160 which is normal for a hard workout. I also regularly hit 168 sometimes on heavy lift days in short bursts. I've been wearing a monitor when lifting lately. Resting rate is between 49 and 52 depending on if I'm laying down or just sitting.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running intervals uphill with weight may spike your rate higher for short periods than most biking efforts. I could run my rate up around 200 at max effort. Now, walking uphill with my 30 extra lbs. is a max effort ;(.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most people aren't hardman enough to get their HR that high on bike.

I wouldn't wouldn't worry about it.

Want to see something scary? Wear a HR monitor while someone chokes you unconscious.

Or exhale all the way then hold it as long as you can.

Good times.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Mar 17, 17 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate related question. [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's very individual of course.

People seem to forget this. The "Heart rate suggestions" you see all over the place are based on a VERY generic study(ies). As you said it's most useful for day to day comparisons for an individual and after setting a baseline for that individual.

In my 30's and early 40's when I was something more then the couch potato I am today 200+ was not unusual for a max effort. I would also spike on less then max effort when it was hot, I was dehydrated or getting sick. I would occasionally wear my heart rate monitor while sleeping and would drop down into the mid 30's if I was recovering properly. FWIW I also had a relatively high HR for LT as well so everything was pretty much inline with that. Other people I know, similar fitness and age, seemed to range from where I was to 20-25 BPM lower. I just assumed I was at the higher end of the range and some others were at the lower end.

Then again I always thought that there couldn't be a better way of dying then having your heart explode at some max effort in the middle of a hilly trail run surrounded by trees, dirt and covered in sweat...so I never worried about :-)

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My resting HR is usually about 48 when sitting. When I am in bed laying down, curiously, it's a few beats higher at around 52-ish. Never understood that.

Last time I had my pilot physical, the nurse checking my HR and BP asked me after, said, 'Do you feel okay...?, Are you a runner?' I told her, 'No, worse, I am a cyclist.'

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably just have a higher max than you thought before this extreme effort. There are people older than you than can sustain over 200 for much longer, all normal because they have max's in the 215+ range.

there are other things that can make your HR higher in these efforts, like being sick or tapered, at altitude, etc. But on the surface it just sounds like you have a true max in the middle to high 190's, nothing out of the ordinary there.

And your max is not different running and cycling, or even swimming. People like to say that(as some on here have), but that is just there observation of their own rates while training. Remember that Max HR is a theoretical number that your heart can beat, not your training pace at some given effort. Yes most people cannot get their HR as high on the bike as running, but that doesn't change their max. On the other hand many cyclists cannot get their HR as high running as they do cycling. The pattern here is that whatever you are more trained in, you will be able to achieve higher training HR's, usually a function of lack of strength when getting lower numbers on the bike.

I have trained with some world class duathletes that have no difference in training rates on the bike or run, just a straight line when you look at a race with 3 sport changes. That is what we all should be training for, it is not a limit from our bodies, just our abilities.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate related question. [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Your max heart rate running and riding are different.

Umm... No. Max heart rate is a physiological constant based on a lot of things, the activity being performed is not one of them.

In general runners will not be able to achieve max heart rate on a bike because they don't have the bike specific muscles necessary to push the cardio system to max. A trained cyclist, on the other hand, will have a max heart rate that is the same as what can be achieve if they run.

Heart rate is actually a pretty good indicator of bike fitness when it is compared to max heart rate. The closer you can get your heart rate to what you generally see while running, the more cycling fit you are.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply