Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Family games
Quote | Reply
We've started playing a nightly game with the kids (9 and 10), and it's quickly become something that we all look forward to. Initially, we went with the old standby games like Sorry and Trouble, but it's time to advance and branch out a bit.

We found a newer game called Spot It, which is a pretty big hit (a mix of luck and visual quickness). What are some other suggestions?

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Family games [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We played a ton of cards and dice games growing up. Cribbage has been played for hours in our house. Farkle was a big dice game we played.

IMO games like that greatly improve math and thinking skills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Incest is a game the whole family can play.

Are they old enough for Risk?
Jenga

Good idea though. These days it's every person for themselves on a gadget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Card games - crib, hearts, gin rummy, poker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phase 10

once night ultimate warewolf is fun. We play it as a family and the rounds can go by really quickly.

cranium is fun. they make a kids version called cadoo

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cards against humanity
Quote Reply
Re: Family games [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure why, but I totally overlooked card games. What I like even more is that there's no stupid pieces that get "lost" only to be "found" later on by my foot.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Family games [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Cards against humanity

We play this with friends. The kids have overheard parts of this game that will make far more sense (and possibly cause some mental scars) in a few years.

I'm told that there's a kids version called Apples to Apples. Never played it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
windywave wrote:
Cards against humanity

We play this with friends. The kids have overheard parts of this game that will make far more sense (and possibly cause some mental scars) in a few years.

Apples to apples is the kids version, but not as fun to play when you're drinking and definitely won't generate as many questions from your kids
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clue
Life
Uno
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
windywave wrote:
Cards against humanity

It's not bad...I played this before Cards against Humanity came out and we had a blast; same concept, far less dirty cards, but as with anything it's as clean or dirty as the group wants to make it. With kids it's good clean fun.

9 and 10 might be a good time to introduce dominos. I played with my niece, 10 at the time, and she enjoyed it, good 'learning' type of game, stringing objects together in a logical manner.
Quote Reply
Re: Family games [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
ultimate warewolf is fun. We play it as a family and the rounds can go by really quickly.

I had to look this one up. It sounds cool, but involved. Is it good for four people?

Quote Reply
Re: Family games [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cards Against Humanity has grown to the point that when someone has to look up a term, the first hit that invariably comes up is an urban dictionary link alluding to the fact that you're searching the term because of Cards Against Humanity.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quelf
Mexican train dominoes

not Monopoly

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our kids love labyrinth, clue and uno. For uno we have a family rule that if a draw 2/4 card is played to you and you have a draw 2/4 card you can play it and so can the person you play it to. We have had to draw 18 cards doing this. The kids love it when someone, specifically a parent, has to pick up 10+ cards.

Carcassone for kids is also popular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ticket to ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blokus is really fun, it's kind of like the board game version of Tetris. Sequence is also a good one. Both really simple to learn and good for a wide range of ages.

Wits & Wagers is fun too but 9 & 10 might be a bit young.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yahtzee. Played it with sis-in-law, bro-in-law, & their 2 kids over the holidays. Mostly a game of chance so doesn't get too competitive/conducive to hurt feelings, but also good for working on basic math in your head (your kids may be old enough that that doesn't need to be drilled into them any longer).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We go outside.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Family games [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blokus and Sequence - yup, those are good too.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are working on Friday night being family game night. Kids are 8 and 5. Card games work and so far can't get past chutes and ladders for board game due to the 5 yo. Son who is 8 has asked if we could play apples to apples.

Quick cups is fun.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Family games [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
We go outside.

So do we, when it's reasonable. But going outside during an upstate NY winter is quite a bit different than going outside during a SoCal winter. At the moment, any outside excursion requires you to cut your own path.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
At the moment, any outside excursion requires you to cut your own path.

Right. Which sounds like good healthy fun.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
veganerd wrote:
ultimate warewolf is fun. We play it as a family and the rounds can go by really quickly.

I had to look this one up. It sounds cool, but involved. Is it good for four people?

you can definitely play with 4 and its even better with more. it sounds complicated, but it really isnt at all. you download the app ( we put it on the ipad) then the app walks you through the game. you just do what it tells you to. and much of it is with your eyes closed. then everyobe "wakes up" and you try figuring out who is the warewolf. you try and convince eachother or throw them in the wrong direction. the kids love it.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply

Prev Next