Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for the swift and reassuring reply, Carl. That's eases my mind. :)

Sounds like a good idea to have it checked by a Trek dealer as well to make sure everything is still in order. Here's hoping it is!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't say enough about the flexibility of the Gen 2 SC. The number of available parts and fit range is unbelievable. It's almost too easy to try different fit ranges that I find myself changing things too much! Well thought platform with a wide variety of parts that are fairly affordable.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy you're happy! Ride on.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, just wondering if the arm pad holders on the 2015 SC 7.5, have had a problem in the past? My right one failed at about 22 mph. Almost caused me to bite the asphalt. I heard a loud "pop" and my right elbow fell and jerked the bike to the right. Luckily, I was far enough off the gravel, I didn't go down. Included a pic to show the crack. My LBS had a replacement so I just loss a day of training.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jareed58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you're OK! That's the first one I've seen looking like that. Sounds like your Trek dealer took care of you...did they keep the pad holder? We'd probably like to get that back to take a closer look.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to know it was probably a one time thing, No they didn't seem interested in keeping it. They are not very much into the Tri bikes. I get the impression this is a Road and Hybrid bike town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
parts are and will continue to be available. we still carry parts for the 2010-2013 SC too.

Amen to that. My local Trek importer got in touch with Wisconsin and before I knew it I had the 10x100 stem on my bike to get the fit just right. Very reassuring to know that replacement parts are still available.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jareed58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an fyi I had a similar failure happen very early on with my Speed Concept. I replaced my pads with Zipp Vuka pads (which happened to be a nice ergonomic upgrade). Carl: I think I still might have the cracked pad holder around somewhere if Trek wants to take a look at it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers! Might be easiest to drop off at a Trek dealer and let them decide how to go from there.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
As an fyi I had a similar failure happen very early on with my Speed Concept. I replaced my pads with Zipp Vuka pads (which happened to be a nice ergonomic upgrade). Carl: I think I still might have the cracked pad holder around somewhere if Trek wants to take a look at it.
Are these the pads you replaced them with? Were they a direct fit ?
http://www.zipp.com/...es/detail.php?ID=160
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are the ones! I'll take a pic of my cockpit this evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you find these pads more comfortable? Just curious what made you go with them?

I saw someone else's SC with these on about a month ago in person. I was intrigued and have had it stuck in my head since.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I first put them on it was a bootstrapped solution to a broken pad holder but the first time I used them I found them to be vastly more comfortable so I stuck with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Glad you're OK! That's the first one I've seen looking like that. Sounds like your Trek dealer took care of you...did they keep the pad holder? We'd probably like to get that back to take a closer look.

I've had two fail on me in the exact same way and I'm tiny.

I think the issue is running the pads at their widest setting means the pad isn't fully supported by the wing. My short term solution is to always have spares on hand and my long term solution is working on my shoulder mobility so I can bring my elbows in closer again.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TheFisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing, I had two set break on me because I was running them at the widest setting. I have them more toward the center now with no issues (just a little tight on the shoulders). Trek should make them out of carbon :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl

This is an odd one. I'm working on a 2014 bike and the stem doesn't want to line up with the forks. It's as if the stem is a little short. The 2 holes are a mm or so in from the fork's holes. Everything looks like it's in line until you try and fasten the 2 bolts through the stem into the fork. Working from the manual, It's really tight and it ends up pushing the stem up off the preload tube.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this a new/different stem from what you originally had on there, or just reinstalling the existing stem? if the former, it might be worth trying with another copy of the same stem (if you or your dealer can get hold of one) just to see if there's indeed a dimensional issue.

Otherwise, instead of trying to drive the bolts after the stem is all the way down on the steerer, try getting the bolts started with the stem higher up on the steerer and gradually bring it down (front and rear) from there.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your swift reply! The stem was retrofitted to the bike. Unfortantely the owner didn't spot the alignment was out and I'm now trying to correct things. There doesn't appear to be any damage to he parts or threads thankfully. I'll see if I can get the original stem.

I did try assembling it and moving down with the bolts started. I'll have another go. Is it ok to try this with the preload and locking not done?

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That should be OK, though it might be hard to set the preload at the end of the process...you're likely to be fighting against some friction at the stem clamp.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I figured that would happen. I would hope to back out after trying it and reassemble correctly, or worst case check for play/free movement as I wound the preload.

Thanks again.

ETA: I checked with the original stem and that was fine, so started again from scratch and it's good to go. Rider very happy.

Last edited by: SkippyKitten: Mar 23, 17 23:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry to but in but as a new member it doesn't seem to let me post in this fourm other then a reply. anyways i have a new 2015 speed concept 9 seires. with just under 400 miles on it. i have noticed that the fork is grinding into the head tube. has anyone seen this before ?
Last edited by: boneyard: Mar 20, 17 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [boneyard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Answered in the other thread...reprinted here:

I'd say SummitAK hit the high points here...that doesn't look like everything is put together properly. The stem, in particular, doesn't appear to be seated properly between the steerer (where you see the gap everyone is talking about) and the top of the fork. Almost like it's angled downwards. Tightened up in that position, it could bring the top of the fork back toward the headtube and cause the rubbing you see. It's also possible that there is excessive paint on either the back of the fork or the front of the headtube in that location (or both) or something has gotten caught in there and that's causing the rubbing. At the very least, I'd have a Trek dealer take a look at it and probably suggest they disassemble the front end and try again to see if it's just an assembly issue.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

A couple of questions about my 2012 7.8:

Firstly, I cannot find the manual for my bike anywhere, when going through the website archive it seems to bring up the 2014 manual, is this the one I should be using (with the exception of the mono base bar etc) or is there a 2012 version hiding somewhere?

Secondly, do you know if I can fit 25c tires in the frame (using the aura 5 wheelset that came with the bike)?

You truly are a credit to Trek, thanks for all the knowledge you impart on this forum!

Steve

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2011 9 series with the Bontrager 5.0 (I think) wheels and some old aluminum/carbon Zipp 404s that are slightly wider, at least at the external brake track. I ran GP4000's in 25c with no problem. I picked up some Enve's this spring and once i use up the 23c tires on them I plan on running 25c.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the kind words, Steve.

gen1 service manual, courtesy of the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/...t_Service_Manual.pdf

now, that manual is for the gen1 9-series bike...you've got a 7-series, so pretty much everything involved in the front end (cockpit, fork, etc) won't apply...but the bikes are the same from there on back, so when it comes to plumbing the frame for cables, or seatpost stuff, or BB etc, that manual will work.

on the 25c tire question, the general answer is yes, it should work...however, not all 25c tires are created equal...some have taller profiles than others. if memory serves (and a search on the forum would probably confirm), Conti 25c (I forget which model(s)) might interfere with the draftbox. Also, if you're running a SRAM front brake from the same era as the bike, those have a lot less clearance and again some 25c might touch. the gen1 bikes were designed around 23c rubber, which was part of the optimized system of that time with our wheels.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next