Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

This isn't supposed to happen in France.
Quote | Reply
http://www.msn.com/...c0Gx?ocid=spartanntp

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: This isn't supposed to happen in France. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a rare fluke in most other western countries, not a near common occurrence like in the US.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: This isn't supposed to happen in France. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is rare here to when you consider the population size. But lately mass murder is a thing in France. And sometimes guns are used. It is veery tough to get one. If we were toncompre guns to murder ratio I would say Americans are are better people. We have more guns than people yet gun crime is usually a criminal lifestyle thing with criminals killing criminals.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever helps you sleep at night, big guy.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
It is rare here to when you consider the population size.

No, I don't think it is. School shootings are far too common, and these days only the 'big one's' make the national headlines. An inner-city high school shooting barely makes the local papers.

TheForge wrote:
But lately mass murder is a thing in France.

Careful, your Breitbart is showing. :-)

There has recently been a barrage of fake news stories and websites in France. This coincides with their election campaign. There is strong suspicion that the Russians are once again trying to influence the election to get a desirable candidate.
http://fortune.com/...-news-france-russia/
There was even a map of 'mass attacks in France' published recently showing all the carnage being done (with the subtext that its being perpetrated brown & Islamic people). This was widely circulated by France's Alt-Right, and, unfortunately picked up by American Alt-Right groups which don't seem to keen on checking the veracity and facts of the stories that fit their preconceived and prejudiced world view.

TheForge wrote:
If we were to compare guns to murder ratio I would say Americans are are better people.

Wait, what? What I read was: "Even though Americans are killed by guns at a rate that many developing nations going through war or conflict would find unacceptable, we're OK because we're showing restrain given how many guns we have."
Oy, Vey!
This is not a ratio thing. This is an absolute number of people killed thing.

Oh, and as for your supposition that Americans are better people when you compare guns to murder ratio... lets look at the numbers
Using the data found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/...m-related_death_rate
Transpose the table into Excel. Take the Gun Related Homicide rate and divide it by the Per Capita Gun Ownership Rate. Then sort.

The USA is 38th out of the 72 countries listed in terms of "Gun Related Homicide rate divided by the PerCapita Gun Ownership Rate".
No quite intrinsically better than places like Canada, UK, Switzerland, Serbia, and Belarus.
And what about France?
Its ratio of "Gun Related Homicide rate divided by the PerCapita Gun Ownership Rate" is almost exactly 1/5 of the USA value. So even if the Frenchies had as many guns per capita as Americans, they would still have 1/5 of the gun related murders.

I know I'm not going to convince any one here that the US gun culture is a national tragedy. This topic of gun control faces fanatical opposition from the '2nd Amendment True Believers' and the gun lobby. I'd be easier to convince Fundamental Islamic Extremists that religion is a bunch of hog wash.
But I do think its worth stopping and reflecting on some of the data and at the human toll this issue has on the American people.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep your mind on your own country something something...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: This isn't supposed to happen in France. [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The U.K. If I'm not mistaken doesn't classify a death a murder until someone is convicted of murder.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: This isn't supposed to happen in France. [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
The U.K. If I'm not mistaken doesn't classify a death a murder until someone is convicted of murder.

That makes no sense. How can you be convicted of a murder if the death is not already ruled a murder?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Columbine was in 1999, almost 20 years ago. Now its 2017. If something happened in 1967 and then something similar happened in 1987, that would seem a little weird. What I'm trying to say is that social media, Facebook, Youtube, and the internet is keeping history more up to date than ever before. Its almost like 20 years has become 10 or 5 years now. In the past, all we had was newspapers to keep us up-to-date. Now we have the internet which keeps us up-to-date to more recent times. Society is changing in the way that history is becoming more recent than ever before. Catch my drift?
Quote Reply
Re: This isn't supposed to happen in France. [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have never read the book Columbine you should check it out as it is a very good and informative read.
Quote Reply
Re: This isn't supposed to happen in France. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

That makes no sense. How can you be convicted of a murder if the death is not already ruled a murder?

http://rboatright.blogspot.com/...uk-murder-rates.htmlhttp://

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That's messed up.

Quote Reply
Re: This isn't supposed to happen in France. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could be charged with murder that at trial the conviction is manslaughter......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
TheForge wrote:
It is rare here to when you consider the population size.

No, I don't think it is. School shootings are far too common, and these days only the 'big one's' make the national headlines. An inner-city high school shooting barely makes the local papers.

^^ Pretty much this.

So far this year alone, we have had 2 school shootings in our area that carried the local news for a day or two, but no mention on the national news front.

In my hometown that I grew up in, I still follow the news there, an elementary school kid brought a loaded handgun that carried the local news that day only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got fired yesterday then realised this could eventually be my daughters school. We are moving 10 mins away.

Oh well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:

You are confusing the British distinction between Murder and Manslaughter. Both are a type homocide. Murder implies some measure of intent. Manslaughter does not.

In the UK (and much of the Commonwealth)
A person who was driving in a car hit & killed a person would possibly be charged with manslaughter.
If they were angry with the world and went out for a drive with the intent to kill someone randomly, they would be charged with Murder 2
If they decided to kill their business rival, figured out when and where they go for a walk, and then drive their car than and kill them, that is Murder 1.

But all these are homicide.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

You are confusing the British distinction between Murder and Manslaughter. Both are a type homocide. Murder implies some measure of intent. Manslaughter does not.

In the UK (and much of the Commonwealth)
A person who was driving in a car hit & killed a person would possibly be charged with manslaughter.
If they were angry with the world and went out for a drive with the intent to kill someone randomly, they would be charged with Murder 2
If they decided to kill their business rival, figured out when and where they go for a walk, and then drive their car than and kill them, that is Murder 1.

But all these are homicide.

Are you saying the U.K. Uses the same statistical metric as the USA for reporting murders?

Quote Reply