Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Honu 70.3 with and without TT bike.
Quote | Reply

I am planning to do the Honu 70.3 (next year, so plenty of time J ).

My estimate for the bike is about 3 hours on a normal roadbike (with clip ons). Let’s say I will buy a bike like the ‘new’ Cervelo P2 this year and will train 100% on this bike.

What will the time difference be on average (normal wheels, so no high fast carbon wheels)? Will it be something like 15 minutes or more 5 minutes faster?

I know I should talk more in watts but just give me a ballpark estimate in time J

(ps no coach patato, did some cycling in the last few years, I am a runner (lot of half marathons and NYC november this year) and did a few OD Tri's)
Last edited by: TriHost: Mar 14, 17 2:30
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 with and without TT bike. [TriHost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just make 2 races in best bike split with each bike and see what the difference is.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 with and without TT bike. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Just make 2 races in best bike split with each bike and see what the difference is.

I don't have a TT bike yet :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriHost wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

You don't need one.

Go to bestbikesplit.com. Create a free account. Add a bike - make it a road bike and say your position is aerobars, recreational triathlete. Download the Honu course and create a race with all your numbers. Write down the time. Then change your bike to be a time trial bike with a better position. Then update the race. Compare the time.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
TriHost wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

You don't need one.

Go to bestbikesplit.com. Create a free account. Add a bike - make it a road bike and say your position is aerobars, recreational triathlete. Download the Honu course and create a race with all your numbers. Write down the time. Then change your bike to be a time trial bike with a better position. Then update the race. Compare the time.

thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've already done this with my BBB account (with the paid membership, you get advanced features like weather prediction, a good feature for this course) and it added 15 minutes for me (2:50 vs. 3:04). Based on many different factors, of course but while I ride a Felt IA 10 normally, my road bike is a beginner's level Masi so not exactly the fastest bike. I would bet my difference is at the higher end of differences one would see.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 with and without TT bike. [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
I've already done this with my BBB account (with the paid membership, you get advanced features like weather prediction, a good feature for this course) and it added 15 minutes for me (2:50 vs. 3:04). Based on many different factors, of course but while I ride a Felt IA 10 normally, my road bike is a beginner's level Masi so not exactly the fastest bike. I would bet my difference is at the higher end of differences one would see.

I bet this 15 min will be the difference between a 'naked' roadbike vs a 'full blown' TT bike. In practice there will almost always be a aerobar clip on (and seatpost in different angle). Then I am thinking more 6 to 7 min tops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really relevant to the discussion but I just realized a few days ago that I'm going to be in Kona during 70.3 week this year. I'm actually leaving the day off the race. I checked on renting a bike for the week to do a few training rides and there's not a bike to be found. I sent an email to Bike Works asking them why they have no rentals and they told me that's the week of the 70.3. I felt like an idiot.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
TriHost wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

You don't need one.

Go to bestbikesplit.com. Create a free account. Add a bike - make it a road bike and say your position is aerobars, recreational triathlete. Download the Honu course and create tips and predictions for major cycling events a race with all your numbers. Write down the time. Then change your bike to be a time trial bike with a better position. Then update the race. Compare the time.

Amazing service. Thanks for sharing! It's a real chance to start training regularly and see your results every day :)

Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later. Og Mandino
Last edited by: Lily Murphy: Mar 17, 17 1:41
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 with and without TT bike. [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha Gman:-) Yes I bet all the bikes are gone that weekend. Have fun at Kona!
Last edited by: TriHost: Mar 16, 17 11:25
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 with and without TT bike. [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gman - keep checking occasionally. The same thing happens for Lavaman in late March but my friend was able to rent a bike when a person cancelled their plans at Kona Bike Works.
Quote Reply