Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Shorts Advice
Quote | Reply
I need some advice from other women regarding cycling shorts vs triathlon shorts for a 1/2 ironman.
My butt tends to get sore when riding my bike long distances unless I have super, extra padded cycling shorts on. For my first 1/2 ironman distance, do I wear regular triathlon shorts so that my run isn't hindered at all? Or do I wear cycling shorts with extra padding so that my butt doesn't break apart????

Any advice is very welcome!

Thanks!

Kaitlin Switzer
KaitlinX3
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shorts Advice [KaitlinX3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Err, are you comfortable with your saddle? Over that kind of distance you shouldn't be needing extra-padded shorts. My partner races in super-minimalistic Skinfit shorts (a fleece patch for a pad) and she prefers them to padded shorts on the tri bike - but that's also because we spent a long time figuring out a good saddle for her.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shorts Advice [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Err, are you comfortable with your saddle? Over that kind of distance you shouldn't be needing extra-padded shorts. My partner races in super-minimalistic Skinfit shorts (a fleece patch for a pad) and she prefers them to padded shorts on the tri bike - but that's also because we spent a long time figuring out a good saddle for her.

Agree....saddle is the key component here, not the shorts. If you have the right saddle, you can ride all day with no padding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, I'd recommend liberal application of chamois cream. I find that works wonders for long-ride comfort. I agree that if you've got a good fit to your saddle, you should be ok with tri shorts (of course you also have to find a tri chamois that works for you... I'm pretty partial to Garneau Tri Air or Tri Elite, a friend of mine swears by Coeur which I haven't tried yet).
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shorts Advice [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you prefer more padded shorts for the bike, then put them on after the swim, and change into more appropriate running gear at the end of the bike. You don't need to wear the same shorts for the bike and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the above - I would first check your saddle and If there is a different option (lots of bike shops have test saddles to try before comitting). I swear by Coeur tri shorts, the no seam chamois is great - wore them for an ironman with no problem.
Quote Reply
Bike Shorts Advice [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone! It's Kebby with Coeur Sports. Great advice from everyone who has posted. We completely agree that the wrong saddle (or the wrong bike fit where your sit bones aren't positioned correctly) will cause havoc even with the best shorts. As you might expect, we do think shorts matter though. In our opinion, the fleece liner is a great solution for triathlons. You can swim, bike, and run in the same garment and not have to take time to change.

No matter which shorts you go with (several great women's brands out there), there are a couple of brand agnostic things we say to look out for. First, the shorts shouldn't be too loose. If they are you could be setting yourself up for some friction. Second, make sure the shorts have Flatlock seams (picture below). This is a type of seam where the fabric is butted together so there isn't a raised edge. There's a cheaper option called an overlock with a cover stitch that looks similar, but can cause chafing if used in the wrong place. Finally, make sure the shorts are cute! We read a study that said that good looking shorts can cut friction by over 90%. Ok...we actually just made that up.

In any event, good luck with your race! We hope you have an amazing time.

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shorts Advice [Kebby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Placed an order last night for your sleeved tri suit -- really looking forward to giving it a go! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shorts Advice [ashleydz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! I tend to disagree with it only being the saddle. The pad is highly personal - some people thing fleece is just fine and most people I talk to can only handle a fleece pad for an Olympic or less. Then you need to find the right pad too - and I do agree that stitching and thread can be a factor, but I know from researching and making our own pads at De Soto to fit the needs of athletes that the thread is just as important as the stitch. Even with an overlock stitch it is layered fabric not simply butted up against each piece so it too can provide too bulky of a seam IF the sewing, pad, and thread aren't right. A tri short is much like a recipe - you need all the basics to add up properly and then you can add your own personal toppings. BUT you still need the basics of the ingredient or it will fail entirely.

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shorts Advice [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will not be disappointed with that choice!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shorts Advice [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2. Plus Chamois cream on the bike.
I'm old school, but when I went from training in my bike shorts w more padding to tri shorts w minimalist padding for shorter races, I either needed to add about a 6 mm neoprene seatpad, or move my saddle up a little bit.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply