Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? March 6 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 6 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all and thanks for getting us started tigerchik.

Overall, I had a good week of training -- I did my daily p/rehab, 2 strength sessions, 1 run (hills), 2 swims, 2 yoga classes, 2 bikes (trainer), and then my race. I felt super strong and prepared going into my race. As I previously mentioned, my race was an Oly on a VERY similar course under VERY similar conditions to the Oly I raced in December and I was to see the impact of the last three months of training.

I've been very diligent with my training and was excited for the race. I had a faster swim and a faster T1 and was off to a good start on the bike but my right shoulder was a little sore after the swim and it meant I just couldn't get comfortable on my tri bike. After a few miles, I started to get the nerve pain in my hips (probably because I couldn't lay my arms square on the bars which knocked my hips out of alignment). I tried riding on the hoods and getting more upright but just couldn't get sorted so I ended up getting off my bike to stretch and figure out what was going on. I've been dealing with nerve issues for years now and after being out all last summer I was just too nervous to mess around with it. At that point I knew I was not going to PR or be anywhere in contention so I slowly rode upright back to transition, did some stretching in T2 and then ran a cautious and slow 10K to the finish line. I felt okay on the run (whew) and used the time to think about how I wanted to emotionally handle things. It was my worst Oly time despite my ever improvng swim. It was a major bummer for me after all the work I've done but I do think I made the right decision.

I feel mostly okay today, hips are tight, right shoulder is a little sore but since I didn't end up working very hard I'm not going to take the days off I usually do after a race. I'm traveling later this week but my plan is daily p/rehab, 3 strength sessions, 2 or 3 runs , 2 swims, and 1 or 2 bikes (depending on my rental situation).

I hope everyone has a good week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 6 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry you were in pain on the bike in the race. However, good job on the faster swim!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goal this week = day off from running; swim 6x. (One swim done!)
done, done! I even rode my bike!

6 runs for a total of 54 miles, and 6 swims for a total of 9100 yards. 1 bike = 12 mi :-)
I am really proud of myself for taking a day off from running.
Highlight of the week was the local HS production of CATS - they did a great job.

goals this week: day off from running, 6 swim, at least 1 bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoCal - Sorry to hear your race didn't turn out how you wanted it to but well done on the small victories during the swim & T1.

My plan for the week was 5 rides/9h15m and I got it all done! I also got in a bonus weights session on Friday before tackling 2.5 hours of over unders on Saturday. Not the best plan - the stairs down to the basement were a challenge - but it all worked out okay.

This week: 5 rides/5h30m and my monthly physio/kinesio appointment (done, went well). I'm looking forward to the cutback week but not very happy that it is forecast to snow AND we are in double digit negatives for the week.

I'm in the market for a skinsuit (for TTs) - any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks tigerchik and Scheherazade :)
It was just not my day and sometimes that's how it shakes out, I am trying to focus on the good and know I can do better. I appreciate your encouragement. Also, woo swimming!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sister, I am with you on this one. Keep your focus on what you can/did do, not on what didn't happen. I know from experience how hard it is to let go of competing in a race. In this instance, though, sounds like it was the wisest choice for you. Better to stay healthy to race another day!

Last week was focused on returning to previous level of training before back flare-up. That goal was accomplished. However, I'm so far behind on my training that at this point I'm having serious doubts about making it to the start line of my May Half. I marked a decision point on the calendar. I'm not there yet, so I'll put that worry aside.

Of course, SLO has taken advantage of the situation to close the gap on the 100/100 run challenge. I've got 17 days left to widen that gap. ;-)

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear your race didn't go the way you wanted, but good on you for making the adult decision not to do any further damage. You'll kill it next time!

Last week's goals:
run x 5: win with 7
swim x 1: win with 2
bike x 1: win
core/strength x 4: win
..and I foam rolled again!

This was a tough week but held big rewards. I finally figured out I'd fallen into a nutritional trap again - in an effort to reduce my sugar intake and because my brain was telling me "it's winter; you don't train much so you don't need much carbohydrate" I'd moved toward a higher protein & fat diet, while putting in 12-14hrs of training per week. I know this doesn't work for me. I've tried paleo before, and the result was the same this time: steadily increasing weight with classic signs of hypothyroid. I finally put it together and started adding back starches last Monday; by Tuesday evening I was a whole new person, and I dropped 2lbs last week. Moral: don't let what other people say works for them cloud your judgement about what you've proven works for you.

This came just in time, too, as I ended up doing a big back-to-back weekend, just as winter came howling back. We went from 11c on Wednesday to a high of -7c on Saturday while I ran for 3h20m / 26km at Huron Natural Area, finishing at 6:30pm - just after sunset.

I got 6hrs of interrupted sleep (honestly, a cat who howls in the night and a husband who snores are a bloody trial sometimes), then was taking off at 8am (and -11c) to spend the morning straggling behind 50 or so people who came down to Dundas Valley for a sanctioned training run on the new Sulphur Springs course. I took 2h40m to do the 20k loop - slower than basically anyone else that showed up, so despite the "group run" I was by myself all morning in the frigid air. The sunshine was pretty, though, and I managed to keep my water from freezing.

Part of the reason I was so slow on Sunday was the mud had frozen with deep footprints in it on the Headwaters trail, so I had to carefully pick my way through to protect my ankle. Fortunately I was successful - it held up quite well, so I was able to get a double run in yesterday after clocking 84.4km/52.4mi for last week.

I also tried making Allen Lim's rice cakes - just with eggs and soy sauce, no bacon - to attempt fueling without sugar. I tried one per hour on Saturday and almost decorated the trail with the 2nd one, then ended up having nothing else but water for that run. Sunday I only had the 1 rice cake (slightly dried out and half-frozen; not an improvement) at 1h10m and about a litre of water. Don't think I'll bother making those again - I do like a turkey wrap a few hours into an ultra and have a favourite cookie for racing, but I have gels that work for me and I may just stick to them. I'll experiment a little more (partly because I hate the expense of gels for the volume of training & racing I'm doing) but I'm not willing to sacrifice a happy belly for lower sugar intake.

This week's goals:
run x 5
swim x 1
bike x 1
core/strength x 4

Quote | Reply
Quote:
not very happy that it is forecast to snow AND we are in double digit negatives for the week.

Whoa. Where do you live?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
not very happy that it is forecast to snow AND we are in double digit negatives for the week.

Whoa. Where do you live?

Double digit negatives in Celcius - but it's still ridiculously cold. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-26_metric_e.html

It's double digits negative in F with the windchill...
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 6 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly I need some conversion practice.

It was cold enough that the kids didn't have to wait outside before school this morning. I was kind of happy about that.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 6 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to click through on the C/F link to double check. I was pretty sure it was but you got me thinking... (I know for sure that at -40, it's all the same!)

They make the kids wait outside? That's cruel!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 6 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
I had to click through on the C/F link to double check. I was pretty sure it was but you got me thinking... (I know for sure that at -40, it's all the same!)

They make the kids wait outside? That's cruel!

I'm not sure what the cut off is, but they take wind chill into account. It's a good thing - they run around, play and get some fresh air. I'm sure it makes them better students. It's only for a couple minutes, I drop him off 5-10 minutes before the bell rings.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: How was your week? March 6 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Muesli bars seem to work well, but they still have loads of sugar in them. Do you have Allen Lim's cook book and would you recommend it?

I don't have the cookbook - I do have a few of his Feed Zone recipes bookmarked from being published online. I honestly don't buy any cookbooks partly because so many recipes are available free online and I have such a load of food allergies most end up being useless to me anyway. I'm also a pretty solid and creative cook on my own, which is fortunate because I can tailor/create things to fit my needs - it's almost impossible for me to eat out without something sneaking in that causes hours or days of unpleasantness.

If you want to try some Feed Zone recipes, here are some links:

Sweet rice porridge

Cinnamon almond pancakes

Chicken fried rice

Baked eggs

Chocolate sea salt sticky bites (I may try this one out)

Apple cinnamon rice cakes

Crispy rice omelette

Blueberry chocolate coconut rice cakes

..and the original bacon rice cakes for which Allen Lim & Biju Thomas are best known.

Quote | Reply
I have all three of the FeedZone cookbooks and I'm a bit "meh" about them. I wonder if it's "athlete" cookbooks in general that I don't like because I have others too and rarely cook from them.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 6 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the encouragement Tri3, mistressk, and Anna s. I get self-doubt / impostor syndrome in a bad way and have been trying to remind myself that it was a non-indicative fluke by reminding myself that the first thing people have said when they see / hear my time is "what happened!?" That and "better now than in an A race, better now than in an A race"

I have the Feed Zone cookbook (and am a fan of Skratch/ Allen Lim generally). I like the chocolate sea salt sticky bites and the rice cakes. I keep wanting to try the rice omelette.

I do really like "Run Fast, East Slow" -- the new cookbook by Shalane Flanagan -- there's some great ideas for pre/post training in there but I haven't tried any in-training snacks.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 6 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't know you had a bunch of food allergies. I was just diagnosed last year with a whole buttload of them (getting a doctor to take me seriously was a whole 'nother situation) and surprisingly, corn is the biggest pain because it is in EVERYTHING. I have been drinking half coconut water/half cherry juice on long runs and have bought a bunch of Huma gels, which are mostly fruit, rice syrup or agave, and chia. I make date/cashew/cocoa balls in the food processor every few weeks to snack on after workouts. It's a pain, but it definitely keeps me honest.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 6 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two of Lim's books: Feed Zone and Portables. I like them both, for workouts and just routine cooking. One of my favorites is the leek egg muffins. (I forget the official name of the recipe.) It's an egg-rice mix cooked in muffin tins. For me, two of these in T1 for long course races in cold weather is perfect!

The biggest downside is the bulk of the food. I saw Lim give a talk at a tri expo once. His line was something along the lines of "I figure out what to cook, you have to figure out how to carry it." Of course, most of his recipes were designed for pro cyclists with car support. Lim is a strong proponent of the position that liquids are for hydration/electrolytes, not fuel.

He also has a great TED talk about challenging life situations.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 6 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear you struggle with food allergies too, MM - it's such a pain in the ass to have to read EVERY label EVERY time and I have to ask so many questions when we do have to go out somewhere to eat. Between gluten, dairy, nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant & potatoes), beans and soy (unless it's fermented, like tamari), half the time I end up eating a bowl of lettuce and a completely unseasoned piece of meat or fish at a restaurant. Fixed menus like a company party or wedding are the bane of my existence! Most packaged foods have something on the list, so the bright side is that I tend to eat higher quality foods, but I swear you know god hates you when you're allergic to freakin' vegetables. I'm of Irish descent - my people get up and leave a damn country if there are no potatoes, and I'm allergic to them! A Canadian who can't eat any part of poutine!

Ok, cancel the call to the waaaaahmbulance. Just had a bit of a moment there.

Tri3, I hear you on the bulk issue - I brought 4 rice cakes for a 3.5hr run and they took up a lot of room (a whole pocket I usually have an extra bottle in for long runs) in my hydration pack. Equivalent calories of gels fit in less than half the space.