Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1x and chainline.
Quote | Reply
For those of you running 1x now, do you know what your chainline measurement?

Inner is normally around 41mm and outer is normally around 46mm. I am currently running my 1x with a 43.5mm chainline which seems to be working very well and it appears that this places the chainring right in the middle of the cassette when viewed from the back.

What system are you running and how does it affect your chainline?
Last edited by: BMANX: Feb 18, 17 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: 1x and chainline. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be dumb question but how would I find this out? Just spread along cassette with chain in big vs small? Not sure it helps have had zero issues with using any gear range with my 50 11/28 last season. But if you tell me how to get the number I'll try to give you a number!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 1x and chainline. [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you go.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html

Road Double43.5
Shimano spec, measured to the midpoint between the rings.
with typical 5 mm chainring spacing, this puts the inner at 41 mm, the outer at 46 mm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taking an inaccurate measurement mine looks between 43-44. That is with X-Sync and its bolts on my SRAM Rival crankset.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speed concept, sram red GDP with x-sync is measuring close to 50. It is not happy in the inner most 2 gears. I have a fiber-lyte ring coming and my plan is to test that in multiple positions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can you change the chain line as most modern cranksets don't have any way to move it?
Quote Reply
Re: 1x and chainline. [DeanV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to swap an 1x oval ring 52t on my older 2x FSA k-force light crankset. The outer ring/spider chainline must be 46+. Even though the 1x ring is a bit thinner e.g fiberlyte, ARC, Qring and etc. I have a feeling that the new chainline will still be at 44.5 - 45mm range, so it is not ideal, def more chain drag, wear and tear. However I know this for sure, that the Force 1 or Rival 1 crank arm with any 1x specific chainring. The chainline will be 43.7mm. Anyone else can pitch-in or confirm this?
Last edited by: G5Performance: Mar 27, 19 20:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
51mm.

I have a p3sl with a 107mm square taper bb, O8 130mm bcd crank set, and sram xsync 50T ring. I run 10x in back. The 51mm puts the strainghtest chainline on the 3rd most outer cog (I think it's 13T).

Not that I think there is any reason to worry about any of this. Keep the chain clean and lubed and the losses from cross chaining aren't enough to matter.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x and chainline. [G5Performance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G5Performance wrote:
I have a feeling that the new chainline will still be at 44.5 - 45mm range, so it is not ideal, def more chain drag, wear and tear. However I know this for sure, that the Force 1 or Rival 1 crank arm with any 1x specific chainring. The chainline will be 43.7mm. Anyone else can pitch-in or confirm this?

Any of those numbers will be fine. As I recall, ~43mm is centered but it's better to have it a little further outboard. The angle is a bigger issue for the small cogs than the big ones.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x and chainline. [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s good to know... Some people did complain about the drivetrain noise on the last 3 cogs e.g 27, 28, 30, during cross chaining when the 1x ring is installed on the outboard of the spider/crank arm. Sram force 1x chainline is 43.7. The new Red AXS 1x is 45 (centered.) New Rotor 1x 13 chainline is 43.5 with a different spacing on the rear hub. In track race, chainline is everything. I guess the chainline should apply for 1x 10, 1x 11?
Quote Reply
Re: 1x and chainline. [G5Performance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The added gears move inboard a little, so the more gears you have the more the center moves inboard also.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x and chainline. [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed Rotor uses 43.5mm. Easton and WolfTooth (on Shimano) are 47.5mm.

If it's better to be centered or slightly outboard, would there be a benefit of ordering the "disc" axle for those going with Rotor since that has a 46mm chainline? Downside is that it increases q-factor to 152mm.
Quote Reply
Re: 1x and chainline. [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like Rotor is centered. I wouldn't move it unless you have issues that going outboard more might fix. And the simpler way to do that is with chainring spacers.
Quote Reply