Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If you're a (or, almost) 100% indoor cycling person
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering what your goal race(s) (what you're training for) are.....and some trainer workouts you use to get ready for them. I have a HIM in May and a full in Oct. I plan to do all my workouts for the HIM on the trainer and Computrainer. I'll probably (based on how that goes) do the same (except for my handful of longest rides) for the full.

I'd also like to hear if you tried it this way and regretted it.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: If you're a (or, almost) 100% indoor cycling person [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
I'm wondering what your goal race(s) (what you're training for) are.....and some trainer workouts you use to get ready for them. I have a HIM in May and a full in Oct. I plan to do all my workouts for the HIM on the trainer and Computrainer. I'll probably (based on how that goes) do the same (except for my handful of longest rides) for the full.

Thanks.

It sounds like you are more in need of a program, not a random handful of workouts from the peanut gallery. I highly recommend TrainerRoad. Big returns for small $$$. Some people are fans of Zwift, but I have not tried it.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Re: If you're a (or, almost) 100% indoor cycling person [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this last year with success. All my workouts were on Trainerroad's full triathlon plan on the computrainer, except 90% of the long rides were outside. I used the high volume plan, and if I was time crunched I'd just pick a similar workout from the lower volume plans. The workouts are hard and you'll see results quickly.
I feel like this method is great. I'm currently training for IMTX, and 100% of my rides are inside (I live in the north). The 4-5 hour rides are tough mentally, and very tough on the taintal/sit bone area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used TrainerRoad for the last couple years with great success. I'd recommend following their plans. There's no one workout, rather consistent workouts, that have helped me improve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I plan to do all my workouts for the HIM on the trainer and Computrainer. I'll probably (based on how that goes) do the same (except for my handful of longest rides) for the full."

what is your reason for this?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this last year, nearly all my rides were on the trainer. I'd say to be sure to integrate intervals instead of just focusing on steady state rides. I focused too much on steady effort versus intervals and didn't really get any stronger. (Did 3 70.3 and 1 IM distance last year, same for this year)

This year, I've been doing more interval work and have become a much stronger rider, thus when doing steady state rides, I am doing so at a higher power output at same effort level.

Just my .02, Trainer Road and Zwift both have workouts that can accommodate this, go with whichever you prefer, I use Zwift.
Last edited by: B3CK: Feb 12, 17 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: If you're a (or, almost) 100% indoor cycling person [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the same, for me it's safety and rides outside just can't give me the same level of workout mainly due to traffic, lights, people, dogs, signs etc.

That said, I highly suggest at least one ride outside before the race to get used to how your tri bike handles.

For a full you'll need 2 long rides outside. Worked for me.

Slowman wrote:
"I plan to do all my workouts for the HIM on the trainer and Computrainer. I'll probably (based on how that goes) do the same (except for my handful of longest rides) for the full."

what is your reason for this?
Quote Reply
Re: If you're a (or, almost) 100% indoor cycling person [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"for me it's safety and rides outside"

coincidentally, i just started a thread on this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding nearly 100% indoors for the past few years. I saw great returns with this change. The benefits of consistent work, intervals, never running out of nutrition or hydration coumpound themselves to excellent results. I am trying more interval/hill training on the treadmill this year as well, hopefully I will see some similar results.

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try."
-- Jedi Master Yoda
Quote Reply
Re: If you're a (or, almost) 100% indoor cycling person [Karate Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here, almost 100% indoors, kickr and trainerroad, best fitness gains I've had in a long time.
I am in the middle of one of the 8 week trainerroad programs right now, about 8-9 hours per week. Will pick another one once that is done.
For me it is both the safety issues outside, and the fact that I just don't have time to ride outside during daylight hours.
I have 20+ years of road racing experience, so I feel confident in my bike handling skills, doesn't bother me to have a race being my first outdoor ride of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: If you're a (or, almost) 100% indoor cycling person [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reasons:

Mainly safety. But it is also convenient and efficient. I also like that I can ride with friends at all ability levels on the trainer. I like riding outside, but I have had too many friends seriously injured - not just from cars, but from bumps, potholes and dogs running into their path.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I transitioned from all outside (except a couple of winter months) to mostly inside (new controllable trainer in late 2015 is the difference). Like others, I use Trainerroad (great!), Zwift (different, but entertaining and can be used for training) and Sufferfest (awesome). One thing that may be psychological, but may be physiological - I think that the inside training has dulled my ability to climb *real* hills. I don't know why this is - increasing your FTP should be usefully and equally applied to flats and climbing, but it seems so for me. So make sure that your outside rides have climbing reflective of the courses you intend to race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:

Thanks.

I have used the trainer exclusively for bike training for the past four years with the exception of outdoor riding May - July each of those four years.

No regrets at all. I have gone from age group to pro and keep seeing improvements on a consistent basis.

Most of my workouts are an hour to an hour and a half, and almost always include threshold intervals, VO2, or sweetspot training. I rarely ride lower than 75% FTP, and keep the intensity up. I am usually on the bike at least 6 times per week for 7-10 hours total bike training (weekly).

The trainer is the most valuable tool that a triathlete can use to up cycling capabilities quickly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair question, Slowman.

I'm recovering from shoulder surgery, based on a cycling crash, last August. Surgery was 12/14. I'm good on the trainer.....but don't care to risk any damage while it's still healing.

On top of that.....I keep noticing how many people are on their phones (talking or texting) as I drive. It's scary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
Fair question, Slowman.

I'm recovering from shoulder surgery, based on a cycling crash, last August. Surgery was 12/14. I'm good on the trainer.....but don't care to risk any damage while it's still healing.

On top of that.....I keep noticing how many people are on their phones (talking or texting) as I drive. It's scary.

+1 This
Quote Reply
Re: If you're a (or, almost) 100% indoor cycling person [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:
Reasons:

Mainly safety. But it is also convenient and efficient.

This. These are the reasons I train 100% on Zwift. Yes I miss cycling outside, but it's just not worth it anymore. I get to focus on my workout and not worry about getting a flat, getting hit, running out of water/food and it doesn't matter if it's -40 or +40 or raining. I spend enough time outside running anyways.

Edit: If I do ride outside this summer besides a race, it will be on trails with friends.

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Last edited by: Joshawa: Feb 12, 17 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: If you're a (or, almost) 100% indoor cycling person [Joshawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll add my name to the list. I probably do more trainer rides than outdoor rides. I have a Kickr and use the Traineroad app. My thought is to do no easy rides when on the trainer. All trainer rides have a purpose. I'm either doing intervals or sweet spot rides. I shoot for 90 minute trainer rides too. I'm hoping to make big improvements on the bike this year, as its always been by weakest discipline.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty much all indoors. It's way more convenient to go to the bonus room fire up the coach's workout I put into TrainerRoad and go. I believe I could not get the same quality workout if I ride outside. My cycling had improved greatly as a result.

Apparently... I am afraid and that fear is irrational. I'm not afraid, I CHOOSE to ride inside. And I really don't give a f**k what anyone thinks about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still ride my commuter to work, and for the odd errand, but all of my bike training is now indoors on a kicker with trainer road.

It's a great way to get a really focused work out, and I have gotten better results following trainer road plans then I did using a coach last season in terms of raising my FTP.

I still do 2 to 3 long rides outside pre-race, but aside from that it's all following TrainerRoad plans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can have very good success training for a HIM almost exclusively indoors IMO. As others have said, I'd target min 4 rides a week on the trainer. I didn't intend it this way, but I have naturally progressed to a similar structure as the BarryP running program on the trainer. Where I do one longer ride on the weekend (3 hours, with 2 x 1 hour @ goal HIM power), 2 x weekly rides of 90 min (with 3 x 15 min @ 90% FTP), 1-2 x 60 min rides (one either 2 x 15 min over/under intervals or 5 x 4min VO2 intervals, the other is a z2 ride for 60 min).

Again similar to what others have said, I've found the key to effective indoor training is ramming the intensity in. Most use a training tool like TrainerRoad or Zwift with structured workouts for this. Even better of you have a smart trainer so you don't have to concentrate, for those of us with standard trainers and a power meter it can get quite mentally draining though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainerroad during the week. Long rides outside early Saturday mornings. Too many people cussing, honking, revving motors to blow exhaust on me and driving in front of me into the bike lane to try and prove a point. I am not so much afraid of dying as I am getting hit or constantly pissed off from idiots so I ride indoors often. Also power output is better. Outside it's all over the place, inside its higher and sustained. No red lights, stop signs, group drafting, cold numbing temperatures. Inside the kids and wife can see me and chat. Lots of positives. Negatives are that I really enjoy being outside, sometimes it's tough to stay motivated on the trainer, learning to hold consistent power outside can be tough over rolling terrain and over doing it up the hills is a real thing if you're not prepared.

Edit to answer race goals; to qualify for Worlds this year.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Last edited by: alien: Feb 12, 17 18:18
Quote Reply
Re: If you're a (or, almost) 100% indoor cycling person [trihugger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihugger wrote:
nc452010 wrote:
Fair question, Slowman.

+1 This

Keep in mind that all those crazy people texting on their phones that you see while driving you car are also a hazard to you when in your car. You might think that you won't die because you are in your car, but that is a false sense of comfort. Chance of dying in the car from the other texting guy is non zero. Would you take your driving indoors to your basement because of the other idiot drivers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I def had my best HIM race from basically all-indoors riding, including most outdoor long rides.

I def wouldn't say I enjoyed it more than outdoors - that would be flat out lying - outdoor riding where I am in Norcal is one of the greatest joys of athletic life!

But between a young kid <5 yrs old, busy job, family, I did a lot of riding before 7AM, and was finishing all weekday rides before the sun was even out. And on the weekends, it's was a lot easier logistically to ride for 2-2.5hrs on a trainer than to go for a 3-4 hour outdoor ride that involved 45-60 minute of downhills.

But again, I'll def say that I would NOT look forward to doing it again that way. No joy in the indoor method other than the sporadic, small FTP victories you get after improving. But it def gets the job done, no compromise.
Quote Reply
Re: If you're a (or, almost) 100% indoor cycling person [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Keep in mind that all those crazy people texting on their phones that you see while driving you car are also a hazard to you when in your car. You might think that you won't die because you are in your car, but that is a false sense of comfort. Chance of dying in the car from the other texting guy is non zero. Would you take your driving indoors to your basement because of the other idiot drivers?

I have no idea why this is controversial.

I was involved in a bike crash on 8/13/16. I have shoulder surgery on 12/14, due to injuries sustained from said bike crash. I'm also a recovering Harley rider. Never even came close to going down, but lost 5 friends (in motorcycle crashes) in a single calendar year. I sold mine, shortly after that. I'll take my chances in my truck over a motorcycle or bicycle in a second. This isn't even close.

I won't ride outside right now.....because I'm afraid if I go down I'll rip my shoulder to shreds. There's basically a 0% chance of that happening - if I'm on a trainer. I really like cycling outdoors, but it's not something I have to have. If I "loved" it as much as some of you seem to, I'd probably feel different. I won't trivialize your love for cycling. I'm not sure why people reducing their risks for an arguably superior training method draws ire from anyone. I mean this with 100% sincerity....and no malice....

I don't care in the least how you train. It doesn't affect me.
Last edited by: nc452010: Feb 12, 17 19:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do 95% of my riding on the trainer even though I have a bike trail right next to my house and countless miles of quiet, paved, rural roads right out my back door. For me, it's not as much about safety as it is about convenience. Most of my riding is done before the kids wake up or after they've gone to sleep, when it's dark outside. I've never been hit by a car or gone down on the road. Of course, the trainer is not without it's own risks. One night last fall, I put the kids to bed and started what I thought was going to be a solid interval session. All was well during the ten minute warm-up. I was staring mindlessly at the laptop on the small table in front of me as I had done so many times before. Five seconds into the first interval, it happened. I thought to myself, "That's weird, the table seems to be tipping over to the right." About a millisecond later, I realized it was actually me tipping over to the left. I don't know if it was the crash that woke the kids in the next room or the sound of me screaming like a little school girl, but they came running in to find me on my back with the bike above me. Still clipped in with the rear wheel spinning away like a buzz saw. I guess my instincts told me to tuck and roll. Fortunately, nothing other than my pride took a hit. I had always just left the bike on the trainer between rides, and apparently my six-year-old still likes to twist, turn, and rotate anything that moves. I now know that includes the trainer's clamping mechanism. In the end, we all had a good laugh that night; the boys learned a few new words; and I learned to check the setup before each and every ride.
Last edited by: Signal8: Feb 12, 17 21:21
Quote Reply

Prev Next