Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2017 MotoGP/WSBK Pre-season and the season itself!
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to the new seasons! Anyone?

Vinales off to a rippin start on his new ride. Really liked his off season test livery - the black with red outlines; dope.

Sepang notables...Vinales first on the last day and combined, the alien in third, The Doctor in 6th, shit face in 10th combined and the 3rd overall Ducati rider combined.

Hayden coming off his knee injury coming into his second season. Was wondering if he'd move up this season, but curious if the injury will hold him back. Rea, Sykes, and Davies again this year ... is there anyone else?

Gnothi Seauton.
Last edited by: Ready4Launch: Feb 2, 17 23:48
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 MotoGP/WSBK Pre-season and the season itself! [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am EXCITED.

Honestly Moto3 is my favourite...racing is just too good but I'll be watching all classes with interest
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 MotoGP/WSBK Pre-season and the season itself! [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the head says that the usual suspects will be up at the front of the pack regularly. Even when they have bad qualifying they seem able to pull things together on race day. The pre-season has never been a great predictor of how the season will go down - they are just testing too many things and running such different testing programs that it is hard to take too much away from it.

What the heart hopes for is a similar mix-up of results with the different race winners through the season.
Oh and if Rossi would just get his 10th championship that would be great.
Will be heading to COTA again to hopefully see someone else win except Marquez.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 MotoGP/WSBK Pre-season and the season itself! [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I go to losail every year

Anyway. A couple of years ago i'm having drinks pre-race week and there must be 80 guys in there wearing ohlins tops

We're chatting and they tell me every bike on grid is using their shocks and they have internal teams who support the GP teams and they fly in every week to set bikes up and then on to next venue but there is no sharing between co-workers on bike setups

I had never thought about it, but its big business
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 MotoGP/WSBK Pre-season and the season itself! [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most exciting racing weekend out there IMO - as well as great value for the money.
I've been to Donnington, Assen, and COTA many times and its a great spectacle.
May not get the play here in the US that other motorsports do but in Europe and Asia its huge - or should that be 'yuge!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 MotoGP/WSBK Pre-season and the season itself! [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Casey Stoner, eh? Still got it.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who needs MotoGP when there is GP-Bikes? http://www.gp-bikes.com/

I am not a connoisseur of video games, but, the physics engine in this game is pretty amazing and makes hard core car / motorcycle game players cry when they can't even get the bike out of the pits and onto the front straight.

There is a demo version available as a free download and it runs pretty well on a decent laptop. A game controller is definitely a necessity.

Marquez rules, but, he's not nearly as cool as Pedrosa. It will be fun to watch Vinales and Marquez go head to head while Lorenzo, Dovizioso, and Rossi try to steal a win.

How many times will Iannone t-bone someone this year?

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 MotoGP/WSBK Pre-season and the season itself! [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I go to losail every year

Anyway. A couple of years ago i'm having drinks pre-race week and there must be 80 guys in there wearing ohlins tops

We're chatting and they tell me every bike on grid is using their shocks and they have internal teams who support the GP teams and they fly in every week to set bikes up and then on to next venue but there is no sharing between co-workers on bike setups

I had never thought about it, but its big business

Would love to attend that race. Maybe eventually. Just comes at a shit time of year for me now.

And, does there really need to be 4 races in Spain? Spread it around!

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 MotoGP/WSBK Pre-season and the season itself! [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri(er) wrote:
Well the head says that the usual suspects will be up at the front of the pack regularly. Even when they have bad qualifying they seem able to pull things together on race day. The pre-season has never been a great predictor of how the season will go down - they are just testing too many things and running such different testing programs that it is hard to take too much away from it.

What the heart hopes for is a similar mix-up of results with the different race winners through the season.
Oh and if Rossi would just get his 10th championship that would be great.
Will be heading to COTA again to hopefully see someone else win except Marquez.

Ducati coming on strong in the constructors with the past two race weekends now complete. Dovi with an incredible performance at Mugello after being sick with food poisoning, and now, today, taking a win in Barcelona. Mugello saw all Ducatis in the top 10. Lorenzo 4th today. Nearing the halfway point of the season, and another podium without Yamahas would make things very interesting for the 2nd half of the season.

Ya think Yamaha and Honda are looking at ways to crank up the horsepower on their rides for next year? Ha!

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can Rossi still win?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 MotoGP/WSBK Pre-season and the season itself! [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The championship? Mathematically, yes. I doubt he will though. He's more likely to end his career with just a race win, when, of course, he finally decides to retire.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been following racing on four wheels for decades but ignored the two wheel stuff. But now that I'm getting back into motorcycling after being away from them for forty years, I'm definitely getting interested. Seeing the Isle of Mann TT is on my bucket list someday.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 MotoGP/WSBK Pre-season and the season itself! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watched the senior tt highlights last night

Hutchinson broke his leg again. He broke it so badly previously that his rear brake is operated with left hand thumb, clutch with left hand and changes gear with right foot

Its amazing that he not only learnt to do that but has come back and won TT's

Dunlop won the senior on a bike he had never turned a wheel on. That takes enormous balls to ride a lap at 133mph having never been on the bike.......or it could just be stupidity
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 MotoGP/WSBK Pre-season and the season itself! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Been following racing on four wheels for decades but ignored the two wheel stuff. But now that I'm getting back into motorcycling after being away from them for forty years, I'm definitely getting interested. Seeing the Isle of Mann TT is on my bucket list someday.

I watched the Isle of Mann TT last night on the television. Something about the course, stone walls, curbs, trees, etc, makes me realize I have no balls.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 MotoGP/WSBK Pre-season and the season itself! [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

He won this yearsite senior on a bike he had never turnEd a wheel on

Danny Hart has nothing on this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just watched Hitting the Apex on Amazon. Pretty cool insight in to moto gp and the risks these guys are taking. They made an interesting point about the riding style of the 90's vs now. Totally hanging off the bike with their elbows just about dragging. Nuts, and Rossi being able to adapt and still be competitive is quite impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 MotoGP/WSBK Pre-season and the season itself! [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to have to watch that. Thanks.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it's been an interesting season so far. No-one running away with it because everyone has either made mistakes or had issues of one sort or another. It is great to see Dovi up there for the championship lead because it has been a two horse race for a number of years now - so good to see the recent consistency of the Duc now also being backed up by wins. The past weekend I think shows how slim the margins are between the front runners and the rest of the racers. Vinales and Rossi went from front of race last week to also rans this week on the same bikes, along with Crutchlow. Also was this week the beginning of Lorenzo figuring out how to ride the Duc- he certainly had the strongest second half of a race yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 - a good documentary and behind the scenes look at the greatest race series.
The Isle of Man TT is a completely different beast - that's about as close as real life hunger games as we are going to get. Margin for error - zero. Thank goodness there are still places where we allow people to make the decision for themselves what they are willing to risk. Personally I think they are all nuts - I've ridden a Fireblade down the motorway at 155mph and thought that was scary - those guys are riding through a village at that speed - nuts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else just watch the Assen TT?
Great race with old faces, new faces, and just great racing. Each week any one person can just have everything work and be up in the front - Petrucci has been around for awhile but really showing strong the last few weeks. The Dr - 38 years young and still igniting the crowd, yes he may have a great bike but you still have to ride it. This is looking to be a great season right up to the end with multiple people in with a shout. One good race or one bad race and all change in the championship positions. Dovi hardly mentioned during the race but is the new championship leader.

If Vale doesn't win the championship then I hope Dovi does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I watched it. Good to see such a mix of results and things going on. Petrucci well deserved his result. I think he may have had a claim on the last lap there too. It was a brief shot where he was on the inside left and almost ran into the rider. Looks like he's been rewarded with a new contract now too. QF'd and started well at Sachsenring, but dropped back through.

Man, Yamaha Tech 3 might be the team of the year with Folger and Zarco. Can you say feeder team? If Vinales had qualified better, maybe he would have had something for Marquez. Very exciting championship at the mid-point of the season. Aprilia making some improvements with their bike.

Morbidelli with his 6th(?) win of the season in Moto2.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, haven't discussed in this thread ... Nicky Hayden. Tragic loss. The way it seemed to be when first reported was like it was serious ... maybe a fractured leg or something ... maybe something career threatening, but didn't realize how serious until they kept on reporting no change in status. Terrible. I like all the tributes to his racing and the person he was off the track. I saw that Honda RedBull was considering Jake Gagne to replace him, but have they announced a replacement?

Here today, gone tomorrow.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just watched the German race - internet wasn't working yesterday! This is exciting racing - not just the same old guys at the front each race - the difference between first and 10th is so small that on any weekend if everything comes together anyone can have their day. That said - the four racers split by 10'points are not a surprise - there is still a skill to consistency week in week out when things don't go 100% right. I think you have to have ridden a bike at high speed and on track to really appreciate how insane these races are - literally a moment away from flying down the track without any protection around you the entire race - and faith that the people around you are not going to do something stupid.

As for Nicky Hayden - why does shit happen to the nicest people - it sucks. I remember watching Simoncelli's last race and that was a blow to the gut - but at least his last memory was hopefully doing the thing he loved. Not directly related but I understand why Casey Stoner bowed out when he did - you have to be fully focused without doubt as to what may happen as crashes will happen - as a young dad he chose family over racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fell outfor a few years but this year I am back in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK - it's into the final third of the season. What a season so far! Back from the break and Dovizioso with two wins. Marcquez with another. Yamaha getting podiums. Rossi with a pole. Marcquez crash allows the top 3 to be so close to one another. Rossi with another injury and out of the race now. Been fun to watch.

Misano sees all of the top 3 championship leaders on the front row. Vinales back with the pole winning Q2 lap today. Tomorrow should be exciting.

Not much new in WSBK. Rea, Sykes, and Davies. Kawasaki and Ducati. Back next week.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply

Prev Next