Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pure Barre or other Barre Workouts
Quote | Reply
Has anybody tried these workouts? I started going the end of last month because I have a hard time sticking to my strength training routines. Holy hell! I said I would come back if I could sneeze without crying. I've done seven workouts so far and I'm catching onto the workouts but they are only hard. I'm hoping this added strength training will help in the tri season; we'll see.

I don't own a studio and I have no interest if their attendance changes. Just wanted to let the womens know this isn't a ballet workout; this is a strength workout. Apparently barre work is a "thing" right now but I wouldn't put it up there with color runs or whatever. It isn't remotely fun--only hard work but you're done in 55 minutes.

FYI only.
Quote Reply
Re: Pure Barre or other Barre Workouts [Vienna VA tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've thought about trying it out, but it's really expensive (at least for me).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have them going on several times per week and I haven't been to one yet (I work in a high-end gym / spa).

Since you posted, I will make it my personal resolution to spend one hour on what goes on in that class and give my report here ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'll give it a try too. it'll be nice to mix it up with graceful (v. grunting) for a change. tho on second thought there may be grunting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kind of offended by your remarks about the barre workout. "isn't a ballet workout: this is a strength workout". As a former professional dancer, dancers male and female are incredible strong. Your barre workout is taken directly from ballet, but without the artistry. So try to imagine the strength you have to use in your barre workout and make it look easy and beautiful and effortless and light as a feather. and put it to music. I do understand what your comment was trying to get at. i just don't want people thinking ballet is easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Pure Barre or other Barre Workouts [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not professional, but I was a competitive dancer for 12 years in my youth...and yeah, it's fucking tough.

I have this gif saved specifically for destroying the misconception that ballet is easy - it requires an incredible combination of strength, flexibility and muscular control that most people will never approach.

Quote | Reply
I've done barre off and on over the years and have been going more frequently since a studio opened nearby. See if you can catch a Groupon or a flash sale if the regular cost is a bit too much.

I'm not going to preach that barre is the be-all, end-all, but it is fun and something different to work into your rotation of weights workouts, especially if you need the group element to keep you motivated.

And add me to the list of former dancers that know dance isn't easy. If you think runners' feet are gross, you should see dancers' feet. =P

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pure Barre or other Barre Workouts [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for posting. Even at my top form, i would not even come close to what she is doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Pure Barre or other Barre Workouts [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't mean to offend you--I also took ballet and tap--I know they aren't easy. I'm old; perhaps ballet classes do push-ups and crunches/bridges now (I know they do for men and boys). I rarely post but I've been around since Monk and Record and this is why I don't post except about once every 5 years. In my mind, the only thing the barre workouts have in common with ballet are the barres. My only thought to the group is these workouts are difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know what you were getting at. no worries. here is one thread that seems to have a nice conversation and discussion about the subject matter instead of ending in an ugly fight. I would like to find one of these barre classes because regular ballet is too hard for me!!! the across the floor stuff is out for me.
Quote Reply