Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slowman's Aerobic Points in GoldenCheetah
Quote | Reply
For the users of GoldenCheetah willing to track Slowman's Aerobic Points the latest version (3.4) allows to define Custom Metrics which can be used for that purpose:

To define the new metric go to Tools>Options>Metrics>Custom on Windows/Linux or Preferrences>Metrics>Custom on Mac and press (+):

Enter the metric definition, to avoid typing you can copy&paste the following formula to the program box:

Quote:
{
# calculate metric value
value { if (isSwim) Distance*10; # 1 point per 100m swimming
else if (isRun) Distance/(1.609/4); # 1 point per 1/4 mile running
else Distance/1.609; # 1 point per mile cycling
}
}

Also be sure to select Total as Type and clear the Time checkbox, the button Test can be used to compute the metric on the selected activity, Ok to confirm.

Now you have the metric defined, press Save to confirm, this will compute the new metric on all your existing activities, is a one time process which may take a while depending on your history and computer power.

Now you can add the new metric to your Summary Metrics:

After save it will be shown on Summary for the selected activity on Activities view:

to be continued...

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Last edited by: Ale Martinez: Jan 3, 17 16:02
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman's Aerobic Points in GoldenCheetah [Ale Martinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And accumulated on Summary for the selected Date Range / Season:

The custom metric behaves exactly the same as a builtin metric, so it can be used in Metric Trends charts to see weekly/monthly Aerobic Points, segmented or filtered by sport, for any date range or use the compare mode to compare several season, or used as input for a PMC chart.

I will add some of this charts as examples in other posts.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you have the Aerobic Points metric defined it is easy to use it in chart, for example to track training volume over a season grouped by weeks and segmented by sport:

Selecting All Dates and grouping for years allow to see training load volume pogression:

To create this chart and play with your data you can simply drag&drop the attached chart definition on GoldenCheetah v3.4

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this walk through!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other new feature that can be used in this case is the R integration, for example to see distribution by sport for the selected Date Range/Season as a pie chart:

The script can be hidden and there is no need to type it, drag&drop of the attached .gchart file creates this chart on GC.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ale Martinez wrote:
Other new feature that can be used in this case is the R integration, for example to see distribution by sport for the selected Date Range/Season as a pie chart:
The script can be hidden and there is no need to type it, drag&drop of the attached .gchart file creates this chart on GC.

Are those points based on what reasearch? One single individual physiology or average of many people? This is similar to calculating max HR based on 220-Age, and probably max HR is more precise and closer to reality.

why 1 point for 100m swimming, not 1.05 for 100m or 1 point for 50m swimming??

Imagine this: I'm beginner athlete and you are great athlete.

I have never run in my life and never swam, only biked. You are excellent swimmer and very good runner. How can we say the points we collect during run and swim are the same, totally makes no sense.

This hocus pocus could not even work semi precisely for one individual, since it doesn't take any correction for physiological adaptations gained in each discipline.

How this could help in training? 50 points in January would be totally different from 50 points in June...
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman's Aerobic Points in GoldenCheetah [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
Ale Martinez wrote:

Are those points based on what reasearch? One single individual physiology or average of many people? This is similar to calculating max HR based on 220-Age, and probably max HR is more precise and closer to reality.

I have never run in my life and never swam, only biked. You are excellent swimmer and very good runner. How can we say the points we collect during run and swim are the same, totally makes no sense.

This hocus pocus could not even work semi precisely for one individual, since it doesn't take any correction for physiological adaptations gained in each discipline.

How this could help in training? 50 points in January would be totally different from 50 points in June...

Are you saying that you don't believe these statements?

"Science in Golden Cheetah

Wherever possible we choose to use published science. Science that has been developed with the academic rigour demanded by the scientific method; evidence based, peer-reviewed and original. This means we are able to provide the best analysis available"

http://www.goldencheetah.org/#section-science

(BTW, note that there is just as little/much basis for Daniel's points system, which has been in GoldenCheetah for almost 10 y. At least in that case, though, Jack Daniels has a doctorate in exercise physiology as well as a long-standing reputation as a coach.)
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman's Aerobic Points in GoldenCheetah [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

This thread doesn't need you, go away.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman's Aerobic Points in GoldenCheetah [liversedge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Uh-huh. Just like Trump doesn't need the media calling him on his hypocrisy...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
Ale Martinez wrote:

Wow, that article is almost 10 years old. I vaguely remember reading it when Dan posted it.

My take is Dan is trying to help determine if your workouts over a period of time (week, month) are "balanced" by trying to normalize the effort associated with various workouts. I highly doubt there is any peer-reviewed research to back up his numbers. Maybe Dan will chime in on his original intents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I can help.

This point system is more than 25 years old. I developed it mostly for those new to triathlon. It's designed to give those naive to the sport some sense of scale and equivalency.

While not particularly scientific I think it's still not bad (with numerous caveats). It assumes you're balanced in your abilities. If you find it much harder to perform X points in one sport versus another I suggest then you have a deficiency in that sport.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
Are those points based on what reasearch? [..] How this could help in training?

The real value of Ale's post isn't in the specific metric used -- he could've chosen anything -- its value is showing how one can construct and integrate user-defined metrics into GC.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman's Aerobic Points in GoldenCheetah [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Perhaps I can help.

This point system is more than 25 years old. I developed it mostly for those new to triathlon. It's designed to give those naive to the sport some sense of scale and equivalency.

While not particularly scientific I think it's still not bad (with numerous caveats). It assumes you're balanced in your abilities. If you find it much harder to perform X points in one sport versus another I suggest then you have a deficiency in that sport.

Thanks Dan for publishing your point system. I never assumed it had a scientific basis. I had been doing tri long enough before reading the article to determine that the estimates were accurate enough to be a simple measure of training load. I still use it and have no doubt it has helped me stay healthy and happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman's Aerobic Points in GoldenCheetah [liversedge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

That made me laugh, unless it was supposed to be in pink.

Making that statement to Andrew Coggan in reference to Golden Cheetah reminds me of when Doug Stern got called out about what makes him qualified to give swimming advice.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman's Aerobic Points in GoldenCheetah [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
liversedge wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

That made me laugh, unless it was supposed to be in pink.

Making that statement to Andrew Coggan in reference to Golden Cheetah reminds me of when Doug Stern got called out about what makes him qualified to give swimming advice.

With all due respect, I think that you are confused.

Mark is the programmer primarily responsible for GoldenCheetah; I'm the scientist behind all the ideas listed in my .sig.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jan 5, 17 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read Automaticjack's comment to imply that you had as much to contribute to this discussion as Doug Stern had to contribute to any having to do with swimming
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
reminds me of when Doug Stern got called out about what makes him qualified to give swimming advice
---

I don't remember Doug Stern. I do remember Gary Hall, Sr. though. That was classic.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman's Aerobic Points in GoldenCheetah [Monastero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monastero wrote:
I read Automaticjack's comment to imply that you had as much to contribute to this discussion as Doug Stern had to contribute to any having to do with swimming

So, you're saying that Automaticjack was saying Mark was having a Hansen brother moment?

https://groups.google.com/...FME2osI/zkHtUzOCzb8J
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman's Aerobic Points in GoldenCheetah [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
sebo2000 wrote:

The real value of Ale's post isn't in the specific metric used -- he could've chosen anything -- its value is showing how one can construct and integrate user-defined metrics into GC.

Exactly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't wish to speak for him, but I believe so :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman's Aerobic Points in GoldenCheetah [Monastero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monastero wrote:
I don't wish to speak for him, but I believe so :-)

Doug Stern was called out many years ago. It was pretty funny, but probably not as good as the Gary Hall Sr. instance, which I had forgotten about.

Doug died several years ago. It was a big loss to the community.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doug stern is the best ever at teaching adult onset swimmers. when i write my guppy challenge installments, i pretty much have in the back of my mind, "what would doug stern do?"

gary hall, sr., is right up there. and gerry rodrigues. there are a few good ones floating around, pardon the pun.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman's Aerobic Points in GoldenCheetah [runwichi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runwichi wrote:
RChung wrote:
sebo2000 wrote:

Exactly!

I will steal it and use it as a basis for a GoldenCheetah video tutorial, its been really neat.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman's Aerobic Points in GoldenCheetah [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Perhaps I can help.

First I love your forum and have a great deal of respect.

I'm not even sure how to respond, because I'm sure you know how unrealistic this point system is (those days when we understand so much more about activities and physiology), and how much understanding of physiology and training one has to have to adjust it appropriately to make any sense\benefit out of it

Few obvious flows for average reader:

100km in Florida with 1m of total elevation gives 100 points
100km in South of France with 6500m of elevation also gives 100 points

10km run upwind uphill in -2C gives 40 points
10km run downhill downwind at 23C gives the same 40 points

2000m open water swim with heavy current gives 20points
2000m in the pool swim gives the same 20 points

100km on Cervelo superbike gives 100points
100km on WallMart steel commuter gives 100points

50km in Giro Aerohead helmet gives 50points
50km in THIS helmet also gives 50points

This doesn't give much scale at all.

I very rarely see new people to triathlon that are balanced in abilities, I do not even know if I have seen one. Lance Armstrong was totally not balanced... his swim was most of the time bad.

This point system could be used by pro triathlete doing swims in the same pool, cycling on the same trainer and running on the treadmill, but I would still be puzzled how to adjust for adaptations, you would need to flag that somehow.

We talk about skin suits giving 2-5W advantage , frames that save 4 watts, and the same people will use this point system to determine their workload....
They will do that, because they have great faith in you Dan, will that really help them in anyway?

System doesn't have to be scientific, many scientists, Doctors, Professors, award winners are driven by market and gains. $ talks many times.

I'm sure many older guys remember

"Doctor's recommended Lucky Strikes:"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
This doesn't give much scale at all.

There are of course better alternatives, in GoldenCheetah we would recommend using TriScore and TRIMP when seeking equivalence across run, bike, swim. There isn't much evidence to suggest that equivalence is meaningful for external load, so maybe stick to TRIMP and individual sport metrics.

But much more importantly and as already posted here, some folks find it helpful (maybe they don't choose edge cases for all their workouts) and this thread was intended to be an example of creating and plotting your own metrics in GoldenCheetah.
Quote Reply

Prev Next