Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Period Support
Quote | Reply
Hi All -
My girlfriend is running a 50K this weekend and it looks like it will be when she starts her period. This happened last year at a 70.3 and so she is already dreading it.
Is there anything I can do to help make it easier? I offered to meet her at some point with extra supplies etc. I already don't take anything she says personally this time of the month:)
Are there any tricks or tips I can pass along that will make it better?
Thanks in advance for all your help!!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Jan 4, 17 9:14
Re: Period Support [waythree11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have completed TWO ironmans and a 50k on day 1 of my cycle. That b*tch likes to race apparently. :-)

Extra supplies is really the key here. Also some wet wipes - just in case. If it were me though, I'd carry the aforementioned items myself in my pack if possible. What are the logistics of this 50k - the course layout - lots of laps, out&back, lollipop? My 50k on day 1 was 5x10k laps so I just had my "aid station" at the start/finish with what I needed and hit the portaloo as required. For IM, I stuffed my special needs bags with extra supplies.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are definitely well intentioned, but every woman's period is different, so you will need to ask her specifically what she might need. Also, you might have to check the rules of the race to see if you can even hand anything off to her (typically you can at an aid station that has drop bags but it depends on the race).

A few things that come to mind are
tampons (or product of choice)
baby wipes
a change of underwear/shorts/tights (running can get messy)
ibuprofen, but not too much because it can cause kidney problems in endurance racing. Nothing over 400 mg total.
a ziplock baggie. If she needs to replace a tampon on the trail, she will need to transport the used one to an aid station so as not to litter.

Good luck to her.
Quote Reply
Re: Period Support [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. If it was my DH he's be on here saying, "HELP! My wife is doing a long run AND she's going to be bitch-crazy - how do I manage and survive this? Extra cookies at the aid station?"

I abandoned disposables long ago - too many trail-side issues and they can't hold back as much. Its like sticking a cigarette in a water main and expecting it to hold.

In other news, did you know there is an app for "places I've pooped"?? I love my dear son for cluing me in to such things.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for your help. Luckily she we fine with me asking. And said "I really enjoyed reading this." We had not thought of the baggies and wipes so it was helpful. I think more than anything it is reassuring to "hear" from people that have been there. I can tell her all day that I'm sure other women do it all the time but that doesn't seem to help much.
It is a point to point run and she will be carrying a backpack. The course is open so the plane was for me to start from the finish to meet her around mile 25 but we still need to check the rules.
Thanks again, stay positive and happy training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Show her this:
http://divacup.com/

I swear, it's a freaking life-changer. No more stupid tampons. I don't know how heavy her flow is, but even on Day 1 I find it's good for like 4-6 hours. Even if you had to empty it mid-race, it still means not having to carry extra stuff (maybe a wet wipe).
Quote Reply
Re: Period Support [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Diva cup. No need to worry about "supplies" if your flow is light or normal. However, if you have very heavy periods you may need backup.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Jan 6, 17 4:24
Quote Reply
Re: Period Support [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+2 on the Diva Cup.

I've done century rides and ironmans on Day 1 with it, plus 7+ years worth of training days during my cycle, and haven't needed to adjust or empty until the end of the day. (Again, this is dependent on the individual's flow.) Good for 12 hours, no risk of TSS, no chafing pee string in your chamois, no cotton gob wet with lake water and bodily fluids.... GUH, ack, gag, sorry. Tampons seem so archaic, now. The Woke Active Lady goes Diva Cup.

(And hello, The Womens --it's my first time posting in here. Sorry for resurrecting a month-old thread: I'll use any opportunity to sing the praises of the Diva Cup. Thank you!)

Tweet WattsUpKarin Blargh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also think that menstrual cups will be helpful four girlfriend. And I really appreciate your care and concern towards your girlfriend. Lucky she:-)
Quote Reply