Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2017 aero tri suit thread
Quote | Reply
I wasnt planning in starting a new thread and then saw the new LG suit so here it goes.

2016 thread:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ead_-_2016_P5779340/

https://garneau.com/...black-flame-90c-1306

$379 US compared to $299 for last years.

Also a womens one piece suit
https://garneau.com/...multi-black-1b9-1287
Same pricing as mens.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For $379 I hope it caresses my balls gently and whispers bad things in my ear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 2016 model and really like it, but a statement like "Wind tunnel and track testing has shown that it can shave off up to one second per kilometer on the bike compared to other suits" does not sound like a major improvement over the top of the range suits from 2016 - basically 1s per km in the best case scenario between the new LG suit and the worst performer they have tested against at a constant yaw angle?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's funny about aero suits is how many wear them & then jack up the savings the suit provides by a crappy water bottles exchange during a race, or flubbing up clipping in pedals at T1.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
What's funny about aero suits is how many wear them & then jack up the savings the suit provides by a crappy water bottles exchange during a race, or flubbing up clipping in pedals at T1.

You're looking at it wrong.

The suit makes up for the flubs, meaning it allows you to f up the water bottle exchange and still go as fast as if you hadn't.

Or: me in a speedsuit blowing a bottle transfer still finishes a couple minutes ahead of me in a regular jersey blowing a bottle transfer.

Let's face it, shit happens in races.

And who clips in to their pedals at T1?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many more seasons until there are choices other than black/red, or neon?!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll gladly take 3min off my IM bike split for the same effort. What they don't say is whether that 1sec is compared to other aero suits or compared to a standard suit.

Hoffmeister wrote:
I have the 2016 model and really like it, but a statement like "Wind tunnel and track testing has shown that it can shave off up to one second per kilometer on the bike compared to other suits" does not sound like a major improvement over the top of the range suits from 2016 - basically 1s per km in the best case scenario between the new LG suit and the worst performer they have tested against at a constant yaw angle?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nor did they say whether a loose T-shirt and swim jammers counts as an "other suit."

TH3_FRB wrote:
I'll gladly take 3min off my IM bike split for the same effort. What they don't say is whether that 1sec is compared to other aero suits or compared to a standard suit.

Hoffmeister wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So instead they should flub, do a bad water exchange and then also wear bad clothes?? I never understand comments like this.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lighter colors would be very welcome. Particularly white combinations.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point being - there are absolutely free ways to optimize performance that many people ignore and don't bother to practice or even think about. I agree though, that just because someone doesn't have every last detail perfect, there is still nothing wrong with looking to improve equipment choices.

DFW_Tri wrote:
So instead they should flub, do a bad water exchange and then also wear bad clothes?? I never understand comments like this.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
Garneau uses Coldblack fabric treatment for this suit -- so if it's overheating you're concerned about, they've got that covered. Personally, I find misplaced white areas on a tri suit reveal things nobody really wants to see... especially when wet. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
georged wrote:

Garneau uses Coldblack fabric treatment for this suit -- so if it's overheating you're concerned about, they've got that covered. Personally, I find misplaced white areas on a tri suit reveal things nobody really wants to see... especially when wet. ;)

I used the suit in hot and not so hot conditions and never once wished I had a suit with better cooling - I think they have that coverered pretty well with Coldblack fabric.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:

LG has a pretty good custom program, so if you can find a few friends who want something different, you could design your own. I have two custom LG suits (team designs) which are great - I'm not sure of the minimum but I think it was around 25. That seems like a lot but I'm sure if you designed something cool, you could get a bunch of slowtwitchers to sign up for it.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I think LG got rid of the minimums. They'll now do single piece custom
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
jeremyebrock wrote:

LG has a pretty good custom program, so if you can find a few friends who want something different, you could design your own. I have two custom LG suits (team designs) which are great - I'm not sure of the minimum but I think it was around 25. That seems like a lot but I'm sure if you designed something cool, you could get a bunch of slowtwitchers to sign up for it.

Did a 3 custom suit order with LG last year, very easy to work with, A+ experience.

I am wondering if the new suit will be able to do custom orders with or not? New suit has rear pockets finally! That was my only complaint about the M2 suit.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its on their price list as "coming soon"
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

The suit makes up for the flubs, meaning it allows you to f up the water bottle exchange and still go as fast as if you hadn't.

Or: me in a speedsuit blowing a bottle transfer still finishes a couple minutes ahead of me in a regular jersey blowing a bottle transfer.

Have you watched many races lately? Plenty run to the mount line & clip in. Not what I do, but most aren't practiced enough to safely do this.
Some races don't allow shoes to be clipped into pedals when leaving T1. I know I've had this happen in Kona at least a couple times where it wasn't allowed.

You've missed my point entirely. I've seen those wiggle into speedsuits in T1 only to lose tons of time when they could've used a regular suit & not have had the issue (pre-2016). Additionally, the basic skills athletes should work on are neglected too often but they look to spend $$ on suits to save seconds. Realizing of course, they're typically not put on correctly to save time (you've heard of wrinkles --especially the sleeves on the suit--creating drag I assume?) I know, I shouldn't assume.

You're right, shit happens. The aero suits unlikely "make up" for the flubs.
I'm talking sleeves aero suits--not the ITU style. Show the research, for example, an Oly race time savings, how a sleeved aero suit surpasses time lost by a crappy helmet or shoe clip in, or running to the wrong rack, or really bad wetsuit exit. I doubt you'll find any research on that but you get the point. If you put that suit on wrong,, someone in a regular jersey will blow right by you using your logic. The suits are not magical, contrary to what most want to think. Tim Reed is a good example where regular jersey guys aren't at the back.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Jan 3, 17 0:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

Have you watched many races lately? Plenty run to the mount line & clip in. Not what I do, but most aren't practiced enough to safely do this.
Some races don't allow shoes to be clipped into pedals when leaving T1. I know I've had this happen in Kona at least a couple times where it wasn't allowed.

You've missed my point entirely. I've seen those wiggle into speedsuits in T1 only to lose tons of time when they could've used a regular suit & not have had the issue (pre-2016). Additionally, the basic skills athletes should work on are neglected too often but they look to spend $$ on suits to save seconds. Realizing of course, they're typically not put on correctly to save time (you've heard of wrinkles --especially the sleeves on the suit--creating drag I assume?) I know, I shouldn't assume.

You're right, shit happens. The aero suits unlikely "make up" for the flubs.
I'm talking sleeves aero suits--not the ITU style. Show the research, for example, an Oly race time savings, how a sleeved aero suit surpasses time lost by a crappy helmet or shoe clip in, or running to the wrong rack, or really bad wetsuit exit. I doubt you'll find any research on that but you get the point. If you put that suit on wrong,, someone in a regular jersey will blow right by you using your logic. The suits are not magical, contrary to what most want to think. Tim Reed is a good example where regular jersey guys aren't at the back.

You are conflating independent and unrelated issues. No one is buying these suits to make up for T1 "flubs" or a poor helmet choice, etc. The only data comparison is a sleeved suit vs. a non-sleeved suit. The other issues you note are not related...you can actually address both independently.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a little unclear what benefits these suits are actually offering. Can anyone compare a suit like the LG to a more 'standard' skinsuit, such as this (http://www.voler.com/...e/product/li/1010J01) from voler? Even disregarding aerodynamics for a moment, what's the difference between a tri suit and a skinsuit, other than the tri suit probably having a slightly thinner chamois?

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The most obvious differences are likely the chamois and, to a lesser degree, pockets. A pure TT skinsuit will likely use a more "traditional" (i.e. thicker) chamois and may not have pockets (since carrying food in a TT is not really a priority). You may see some fabric differecnes, I suppose (faster drying), but the benefits would seem to cross over both disciplines.

Personally, I prefer a tri skinsuit over a cycling skinsuit, period. A tinner chamois is more comfortable for me, especially in a TT position.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody have any sizing info on the LG suit?

Some of the suits mentioned in the 2026 thread aren't available in many sizes (at least right now), notably Kiwami, Castelli, and Scody.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore a medium Kiwami last year. I'm switching to LG this year and I am getting a small. I'm 5"10', 160-163lbs

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 aero tri suit thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I wore a medium Kiwami last year. I'm switching to LG this year and I am getting a small. I'm 5"10', 160-163lbs

Whoa, good info, I'm about half an inch taller. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone got any experience with the Bioracer suit?

http://www.bioracer.com/en/team-clothing/17180/

Quote Reply

Prev Next