Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr
Quote | Reply
I just got a Kickr (original - refurb direct from Wahoo). I have a USB extension cable to the PC. However, I was also wanting to record the rides to my Garmin 800. I do not see any dropouts on the PC on Strava via Zwift. But the Garmin records speed and power dropouts (but not HR). I had previously used the Garmin 800 and another ANT+ trainer and it did not record any dropouts. The dropouts do not appear random - during the 'on power' intervals I did not stop pedaling. During the recovery I did - I accept those dropouts. I searched the forum and this does not appear to be isolated to me but I was unable to find a solution. Any suggestions?

Recording from Zwift on Strava (same ride but times are different due to stop start times.

Recording from Garmin on Strava.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [microspawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was getting dropouts on all of my ant+ PMs while on the trainer. I can't say for sure but I turned off the bluetooth on my phone (which was right next to me) and the problem stopped.

Phone is a Galaxy S5
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly I tried to do my FTP test a few weeks ago with a Kickr snap (recording data via my phone), powertap wheel (collecting data via my Garmin 910) and Power2max (collecting data via Garmin 520). They seemed to be interfering which each other causing dropouts in power data on all Garmins as well as dropouts in the Kickr that forced me to restart the wahoo app. After I turned my Garmin 910 off and used my Garmin 520 to collect data from the Kickr, all was fine. So interference is definitely possible.

Also - make sure you have your bike computer set to not auto-stop. I used to see quite a few dropouts in the past with a fluid trainer with Power2Max or Powertap but that would go away once I turned auto-stop off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The regularity of your dropouts is pretty remarkable. The first thing I would check is that it is not an artifact of the plot. Open that tcx file in golden cheetah (or excell) and check to make sure there really is a few 0W seconds.

If so, figure out the time gap between drops. It looks like 90 seconds to me. Like someone mentioned above, check that your Garmin isn't set to autopause/autostop. Also, dig through the settings and check if there is anything set to 90 seconds that could be messing it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The auto pause on the Garmin was turned off. (This was not my first run). I also changed my wireless router to channel 1 (recomended on other forums). I think it has to be the kickr since the HR remains steady.

Still investigating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
microspawn wrote:
I just got a Kickr (original - refurb direct from Wahoo). I have a USB extension cable to the PC. However, I was also wanting to record the rides to my Garmin 800. I do not see any dropouts on the PC on Strava via Zwift. But the Garmin records speed and power dropouts (but not HR). I had previously used the Garmin 800 and another ANT+ trainer and it did not record any dropouts. The dropouts do not appear random - during the 'on power' intervals I did not stop pedaling. During the recovery I did - I accept those dropouts. I searched the forum and this does not appear to be isolated to me but I was unable to find a solution. Any suggestions?

Recording from Zwift on Strava (same ride but times are different due to stop start times.

Recording from Garmin on Strava.

At some point fairly long time ago) KICKR had just this specific problem: signal drops when using KICKR with some app over ANT+ stick and recording in parallel on Garmin 800 unit. They said it was a problem with the firmware that they will fix. No idea if they've fixed it but since your KICKR is second hand you might want to check if it has latest firmware and update it if needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I was getting dropouts on all of my ant+ PMs while on the trainer. I can't say for sure but I turned off the bluetooth on my phone (which was right next to me) and the problem stopped.

Phone is a Galaxy S5

Exact same with me - on new kickr / 820 / iPhone 7
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [kostya416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually my kickr is a refurbish directly from Wahoo and it does have the latest firmware. I think I can work around this one issue (because I am pretty happy with everything else) but I do find it interesting that the Garmin has dropouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
The regularity of your dropouts is pretty remarkable.

I'd agree, something looks weird to me about it.

Meaning, I'd love to see a plot from both devices recorded at the same time overlaid on the same timescale (since these scales are off).

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an original Kickr showing a very similar pattern. Unit ANT ID 66.... so I think it's a pretty early model. I'll record my next session on it with both an 800 and 820, overlay them using a better tool than WKO3, and see if the pattern appears on both devices.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar problem as you a month or so back. I am using the Garmin 520. If you look at the video below and the comments it should help. The bottom line is to hook up the Garmin as a Power Meter. Once I did this I rarely have a drop out.
Connecting Zwift + Sufferfest App + TrainerRoad + Garmin (This is the name of the title on You Tube. Not sure if the link will work.)

I hope this helps.

14X Ironman. Still slow but working on it.
Last edited by: dcfan40: Jan 2, 17 3:59
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did another ride tonight, same results - links to both on strava - Garmin File / Trainer Road File

Recorded to Garmin 800

Recorded to Bluetooth phone (trainer road) I had similar results recording to PC over ANT+

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post a link to the .FIT files by chance?

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only have the FIT file with the drop outs. (LINK) - tomorrow I'll see if my Garmin 910 has the same dropouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can take any file from an app too (TCX/GPX/FIT/etc...). Just looking for two raw files that started/ended at the same time that I can throw into my analyzer to see what's going on.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post number 12 has links to both activities on stava. You should be able to download the files from there, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, only the account owner is allowed to download the files. The option doesn't show for anyone else.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, one is a FIT and one is a TCX.

Garmin File
TrainerRoad File
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So now it's a million times easier to see. Here's the two overlaid: https://analyze.dcrainmaker.com/...d0-620f-30c9bfd1bcd8

Any chance you have Bluetooth enabled on your Edge 800? If so, for fun, try disabling it for a ride. I don't think it's interference. It's too perfect looking. Instead, I think it's an older issue that I thought was long-resolved, where basically the communications chipset becomes overloaded and resets. Though, usually that impacts all sensors, and not just power.

In this case, it's clearly not impacting TrainerRoad. The drops on the Edge 800 are always out of nowhere and not at the same time as TR (except when it appears you stopped pedaling briefly).

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Garmin Edge is a little older - no bluetooth to disable.

What is interesting is that I have used this same setup with 2 different trainers this month and the Elite Drivo and much older Elite Real Axiom (cabled USB with a power tap hub) did not cause the Garmin any issues. With both of those trainers, cadence was recorded. I have a Wahoo RPM cadence sensor arriving any day now - we will see if that makes a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did another run this morning. Controlled Kickr via ANT+ on PC (ANT+ dongle just a few inches from the KickR) while recording to Garmin 800 and Garmin 910XT. There was no bluetooth in the room. At exactly the 30 minute mark I moved the Garmin 800 about 12 inches from the trainer. The Garmin 910 stayed on the aero bars. I don't think it is simply a weak signal from the trainer.

TrainerRoad PC file
Garmin 800
Garmin 910XT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
microspawn wrote:
Did another run this morning. Controlled Kickr via ANT+ on PC (ANT+ dongle just a few inches from the KickR) while recording to Garmin 800 and Garmin 910XT. There was no bluetooth in the room. At exactly the 30 minute mark I moved the Garmin 800 about 12 inches from the trainer. The Garmin 910 stayed on the aero bars. I don't think it is simply a weak signal from the trainer.

TrainerRoad PC file
Garmin 800
Garmin 910XT

Entire last year I had worry free riding on my kicker (except power discrepancy), this year wahoo/garmin and others just totally blow. After many upgrades I had the same exactly issue as you.

I'm so F@## tired on spending hours of troubleshooting on equipment that cost so much money, it is ridiculous (I had 2 Wahoo kickers). First time I have realized advantage of good old Compu Trainers...They just work...

Here is what fixed my power drop issue:

Removed all unused ANT+ devices from Garmin 1000
Restarted Kickr (unplug/plug back in)
Re calibrated and spinned down about billion times.
Changed wi-fi access point channel to 1 on 2.4Ghz frequency

Power is steady now no major dropouts (except when my wife turns on microwave) , after last cassette cleanup few days back, my kicker is off by 40W....so I had to use my power tap P1 pedals to control wattage and it is fine now, but WTF...

After having 3 cases open with Wahoo, they loaded firmware that removes string gauge from power control, yes power was closer to my pedals, but after removing string gauge kicker was simply calculating power based on speed, no different from 300$ kinetic Kurt and power from speed calculator.

Wahoo Kickers are very poorly made devices, they have quality control issues, I have put about 8000km on each and after that time they feel way less stable that eg. CompuTrainer in the studio that is abused by hundreds of people.
Next time I will have a chance to place my hands on used CompuTrainer I will get one for sure.

I was huge on Kickr for long time, open platform, all the cool apps, Blootooth etc. but after having 2 kickers and same problems each time, I will not be buying third one for sure.

First of all it is absolutely unacceptable they can't fix power discrepancy issues, I understand first batch could have problems, but so many years later power is still all over the map, and don't tell me as long as it is consistent it doesn't matter.... I have 4 power meters all within 2% from each other, Wahoo is always off by 10-15% not something I would expect from device that cost over 1600$ CAD. total garbage.

Friend of my just bough Wahoo Snap, what a miss, metal roller was wobbly, so he replaced with the new one, same issue....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I added a Wahoo RPM cadence sensor to the mix. It's bluetooth signal is MUCH stronger than the Kickr. I recorded a session this morning over ANT+ only (to an ANT+ stick right next to the Kickr and to my Garmin 800 mounted on the handlebars.

I'm flummoxed now - I never get any HR drops to the Garmin and I thought the cadence would be rock steady. It appears the cadnece and Kickr (speed and power) drop at the same time. Everything had previously pointed to the kickr dropping signal - now with the cadence I'm not so sure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have exactly the same problem.

I'm using Zwift with a Garmin 920XT watch and a Kickr (version 1) turbo.

The power files from Zwift (via Strava) don't show any dropouts, but the ones on the 920XT show regular dropouts with a gap of approximately 100 seconds - is this the same as the time period of your dropouts?

The 920XT (and Zwift) are picking up my ANT+ HR meter (Coospo H6) and cadence (Garmin) absolutely fine, and the 920XT is having no trouble with my Moxy when I use that too. It's just the speed/power from the Kickr with these dropouts every 100s.

I've not identified any clear causes yet; it even occurs when I have the watch on the floor right next to the Kickr.

I don't think it happens when Zwift isn't running (eg using Perfpro or other software) - I wondered if it's anything to do with Zwift talking to the Kickr and causing it to stop broadcasting power for a short period (which Zwift ignores because it's talking to the Kickr)?

EDIT: just seen dcrainmaker's analyser version of your files; we clearly have exactly the same problem as my gaps are at 100 seconds too. Happy to help anyone who might have an idea how to nail it down. I've emailed Wahoo but they've just asked if it happens when I'm only using the 920XT and the Kickr together (ie without Zwift involved).
Last edited by: thigger: Jan 6, 17 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin ANT+ drop outs from Kickr [thigger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It also happens to me when I power off the PC and I am just running Trainer Road via bluetooth on my android phone. So, it could be something with trainer control but adding the Wahoo RPM cadence and having it drop out at the same throws me for a loop.

I got identical dropouts to my Garmin 800 and 910XT even when I also moved the 800 to directly next to the KickR.

Something is amiss.
Quote Reply

Prev Next