Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Even the Robots are Out to Get Us (Uber Self Driving Cars) [LynchDeez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I can get it to follow me. It might force me to go faster...

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Even the Robots are Out to Get Us (Uber Self Driving Cars) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No they don't...first hand experience.

Almost got creamed by one of their 'eggs" in MV. HEAD ON.

Maybe I should have gone for it...... $$$$$

lightheir wrote:

I'll bet Google's driving car already has solved this.
Last edited by: windschatten: Dec 21, 16 21:27
Quote Reply
Re: Even the Robots are Out to Get Us (Uber Self Driving Cars) [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
lightheir wrote:
I don't think you need to be so scared of upcoming robot cars.

The number of human-injuring car incidents is miniscule if factoring in the number of miles they have driven on highways, in comparison to human driver error.

I would vastly prefer my chances right now as a cyclist faced with the imminent theat of an autonomous Uber experimental car about to right hook me, than a typical rush hour driver about to right hook me. Don't even get me started on the texting drivers....

Scare might be the wrong word or just too much hyperbole. Fwiw, I commute nearly every where by bike so riding in the city is not the problem. I guess, it would just be unfortunate to be a cyclist and be taken out by an autonomous vehicle in that manner. No doubt humans make plenty of errors driving, it is the thought that the humans just left something out in the code that bothers me. The rush to innovate and missing out on important line or sub-program that recognizes cycling behavior.

It's unfortunate to be a cyclist taken out by any car, autonomous or not.

The problem is that some people will place too much weight on the cyclist who gets hit by an autonomous vehicle, completely ignoring that the risk of that happening has been significantly reduced.

So if the risk now is 1 in x, and autonomous vehicles reduces that risk to 1 in 10x, people will still bitch about that one as if the new technology has made things worse.

The big difference is that in accidents caused by a malfunctioning autonomous automobile, there will always be a big fat pocket for the lawyers to sue. This isn't necessarily the case in accidents caused by human error.

Frankly, I'm surprised that these companies are willing to accept the liability. Of course, they've probably prepared numerous studies letting them know exactly how many people they can kill before they start losing money on the whole enterprise.
Quote Reply
Re: Even the Robots are Out to Get Us (Uber Self Driving Cars) [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Not sure about suing Google et al...

Already too big to challenge without significant monetary investment and reserves

===== almost like suing the government.

That's why I chose the ditch.....
Last edited by: windschatten: Dec 21, 16 22:10
Quote Reply
Re: Even the Robots are Out to Get Us (Uber Self Driving Cars) [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

Not sure about suing Google et al...

Already too big to challenge without significant monetary investment and reserves

===== almost like suing the government.

That's why I chose the ditch.....

Shoulda sued. Goog would have settled just to avoid the bad publicity/press.

They are playing the long game and want to avoid any disruptions.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Even the Robots are Out to Get Us (Uber Self Driving Cars) [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well of course the basic stuff is easy.
But the ton of exceptions are fr from easy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next