Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

horrible goggle eyes!
Quote | Reply
Hello all! I love to swim- BUT i cannot handle having the terrible goggle lines around my eyes ALL day from my morning swims. I went to a conference last week- and people kept asking if I was tired.....
I bought special under-eye cream to put on afterward my swims, but that is not helping.

Anyone have the same issue? Any goggle suggestions? I currently swim in the TYR Nano (because i have a small nose bridge)

Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Re: horrible goggle eyes! [jgb_trimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try Swedish goggles.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: horrible goggle eyes! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swedish goggles are THE WORST !!!!!!!!!!!

Opthamologists HATE them. Supposedly they can damage your eye socket because nothing is supposed to sit in there like that !

Aside from the fact the one time I DID wear them, I got black eyes the next day after an hour of swimming. HORRIBLE !!!

on the other hand (even though I'm not sure why) people swear by them............

I personally love Barracuda.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've swam in Speedo Vanquishers since I was 13 years old (12 years!) - thank goodness they're still around. I like them because the socket frame is soft but firm, it's a double-layered, strap-like plastic (it's soft! Not hard plastic!) that fits the contours around my eyes. Bigger bonus is that the nose-piece is replaceable and the goggles come with three sizes to choose from. I think the nose piece is really what makes a big difference for most people, even though its a strange thing to think about...

Another thing is the kind of chemical in the pool - I'm super allergic to bromine, so those pools always leave me with nasty goggle marks! Good luck!!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: horrible goggle eyes! [cassidyfit1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swedish goggles are the only ones I will wear. I swam in them all through college with zero issues. They don't leave marks and they don't leak. Only downside is that they do fog up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried loosening your goggles? They may just be too tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted a similar question on FB recently and one fish responded, "Preparation H". I haven't got any to try it. You could imagine that suggestion being a cruel joke but I sorta don't figure this girl for that kind of thing.

If you try it, letme know how it works out.

Swedish goggles aren't my thing. Tried them once - complete failure.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: horrible goggle eyes! [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ewww- preparation h? thanks for all the advice! i will look into the barracudas & swedish goggles!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What goggles are you using?

As another poster suggested, have you tried to loosen you goggles a little bit?

Generally the softer tissue around your eyes is what is affected by goggles. Have you tried any larger socket goggles, or perhaps a swim mask? Not a suggestion that everyone wants to hear, but it is a choice that sits further out around your eye and the gaskets sit on the bone structure around your eye rather than on the softer tissue.

The larger lens goggles don't require as much pressure/ the straps don't need to be as tight, as they rely on a stronger seal than a smaller 2 piece competitive style goggle. You can loosen up on the straps and still have a water tight seal.

I highly recommend giving a larger lens goggle a shot. If you are already using them, try loosening the straps a little bit and don't press the sockets of the goggles on to your eyes, just put the goggles on and allow the strap pressure to help hold the seal.

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you shower after your swim, turn off the hot water and hold your face in the cold water for about a minute. It's uncomfortable but seems to reduce the puffiness.

"A merry heart doeth good like medicine." (Proverbs 17:22)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the vote for Barracuda Goggles.

They ain't pretty and they ain't fast BUT the "Temperpedic" foam gasket does not leave marks!

At nearly 60 years old, my face does not recover from 60-90 minute swims like it used to. The Barracuda goggles eliminate my raccoon eyes for at least training swims.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the answer is just to experiment with LOTS of different brands and styles until you find one that fits your face shape very well, so that you don't have to have them on tight. Any goggles that are tight are going to leave marks for ages. In races I make my goggles really tight so there is absolutely no chance of leakage and then I have makes for hours (but who cares - I look a fright during and after racing anyway!)

For me (FWIW) the ones that work best are Aquasee (I have the prescription sort). They fit me very well so I can have them quite relaxed with no leakage. I can go an hour in these without looking odd afterwards and I'm middle-aged.

I do take push them up to my forehead between sets and intervals, but I don't know if that helps or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swedes. They take some fiddling and experimenting to get nose-bridge right, but once you do - it's bliss. I used to be desperate about removing my goggles between each set, but these changed it. Me and my girlfriend are converts, and for the pool I wouldn't try anything else. I even raced a few OWS events in them, but I'm terrified of a kick to the face.

Alternatively, try a Swedish-like racing goggle with a low-profile rubber, like the Tyr Tracer. The shape makes them basically a Swedish goggle, but the rubber allows a bit of leeway.

Most importantly, and this applies to any goggle: If you need to cinch it tight, it's the wrong goggle for you! A well-fitting goggle should basically require very minimal tension in the straps.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As soon as you are done showering, turn the water as cool as you can stand and rinse your face for as long as you can tolerate. Then a tiny dab of preparation h (no joke, it reduces the puffiness) under your normal moisturizer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aquasphere have great soft material.

if you want the best optics consider Sable Water Optics - notice not use the word goggles.

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the Roka X1. They are HUGE (serious alien/bug look) but seal far enough out that they don't press on the soft undereye skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcfbEP00vDw

Regarding Prep-H, it's an old photoshoot/film trick for reducing puffiness. Works, but smells terrible. There are funny stories about makeup artists having to explain why they have a tube of it in their purse when a date spots it.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: horrible goggle eyes! [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing some people don't realize about the swedes is that they are so flush to the face that they don't need to be as tight as other goggles in order not to leak.

I like to use the tyr socket rocket 2.0 goggles. They've got that extra silicon around the eye area for better seal and even more comfort. They come with an elastic nose piece, but I put on my reading glasses and get out the tweezers in order to implement the string and plastic tube nose piece option that comes with the goggles.

Sorry I'm not a woman, but I got bored, read a few posts, and decided to post before I knew what happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedo MDR 2.4

I was lucky enough to be given a pair of these goggles to use during an open water swim clinic, and they've been terrific.

No goggle eyes, minimal fogging (taking into account freezing cold water vs warm face...) no leakage.
The "elastomeric" feature actually works for my "asian mixed w other stuff" type of eye sockets.
https://www.swimoutlet.com/...pUA4jQnOcaApDU8P8HAQ

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sympathize, same problem here! Sometimes the goggle marks last more than 24h. A bike helmet or visor makes a mark on my forehead too, so I think it's my skin that's the problem. I haven't found a good solution so manage it with swimming after work (caving to vanity), zoggs air goggles, and try to remember to take them off between sets and massage the skin around the eyes.

Triathlon (n). An athletic contest in which participants compete without stopping in three successive events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there I have been using Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggles. They are quite comfortable and protective. I suggest you to seek advice from Ophthalmologist for choosing the best goggles for your eye.
Quote Reply