Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24
Quote | Reply
We're on to year 11 back by popular demand. I am mainly cutting and pasting last year's thread to get things rolling

The last few years we have had 500+ athletes from all over the world. Invite your friends and training partners. The more the better. Thanks to Slowman for accommodating us and hosting this virtual training camp on their website at no cost !!!

On Dec 15th we'll start the 2016-17 edition of the 100 runs in 100 day challenge, commonly known as 100/100. The thing has evolved somewhat over the past few years, due to and contrary to popular demand. The basic unit that counts as a run is 30 minutes.

The goal of this entire challenge is to lay down a solid run base by doing volume through frequency. The goal of the challenge actually is not to randomly be doing a bunch of short runs, although some in the past may have chosen to. The goal really is to increase your overall mileage which will hopefully result in better performances next year as long as you don't go overboard and injury yourself. Frequency is the carrot to get you overall mileage, but don't end up using it to get injured!

The runs can be outdoors or on a treadmill, but it must be running (no water running, no elliptical trainer...). Walking does not count...there must be two feet off the ground at some point in every stride (the difference between race walking and running) and there must be forward motion so 30 minutes of jumping jacks will not count either :-) :-) :-).

DO'S AND DON'TS

1. You can take days off
  2. You can do days with more than one run (doubles)
  3. You can and likely should take rest days
  4. You get no credit for going longer than 30 minute wrt number of runs, however it will help your distance totals. Over time, many of your runs will be in excess of 30 minutes.
  5. If you go fast, it will show up in your total distance over the challenge in less time and the speedsters get to beat the crap out of each other.
  6. You can go as slow as you want provided both feet leave the ground on every stride
  7. Listen to your body if you need to take a day off. Don't get too sucked into what the other geeks on the standings are doing (who am I kidding? Talking to a bunch a type A tri geeks)
  8. By all means, use the overall standing as a motivator to push you up a level, but don't put yourself in the injury/hurt locker in the middle of winter
  9. Don't sprint out of the gate in the first 3 weeks....easiest way to get injured...start slow....perhaps take your aggregate mileage over the last 3 years and divide that total by 156 to get a gauge for what your average weeks for the first 4-6 weeks should look like before you ramp up
  10. If you make it through 10 weeks (70 days), pour it on in the final month when your body and mind can take it.
WHAT COUNTS AS A DOUBLE RUN?

For a run to count as a double, it must be separated by at least 1 hour. I have to pick a duration to separate 2 runs and it can't be 1 minute or 5 minutes, and putting 1 hour in between means that I will allow you to count a run-swim-run, run-bike-run, run-wts-run, run-XC ski-run, run-McDonalds-run as 2 sessions as long as the thing in between lasts for at least 1 hour (be it 40K on the bike, or a session at the donut shop).

11 years ago _EH_, Jana and I put down 100 days in a row of running 30 min or more with ZERO rest days. Not really recommended. The last few years we have had approximately 50 or more hit 100 runs in 100 days, but that's really not for everyone (nor should it be).

WHAT ARE THE VARIOUS LEVELS

While some might go for 100 runs, the reality is that unless you are already running 4-6 hours per week, this is not a realistic goal. If you did over 2500K of running last year, you're probably good to go to attack the full 100 (assuming you have no injuries)

For most a realistic goal is to start at Bronze club pace (or less) and then see how things go.

1. Platinum Club = 100 runs in 100 days (March 24th)
  2. Gold Club = 90 runs in 100 runs in days
  3. Silver Club = 80 runs in 100 runs in days
  4. Bronze = 70 runs in 100 runs in days
It is great training for anyone doing a spring marathon or an early season triathlon, and you'll be shocked by how quickly you accumulate mileage, all without getting injured...because the focus is keeping them short and aerobic. By all means feel free to run longer than 30 minutes, but the main goal here is to get you out the door, 5-7 times per week, especially given that the weather is generally shitty for riding in many parts of the Northern Hemisphere.

QUESTION ABOUT RUNS SHORTER THAN 30 MINUTES

The goal is to encourage people to run as much as possible. Sometimes, life gets in the way. We have lives outside sport.Something is better than nothing. So if you do 2 runs shorter than 30 minutes in one day (ex 20+15), you can count the total as 1 run, but beyond that, you can't keep adding up incremental amounts to count for additional runs. For example, a 50 minute run and 10 minute run in one day won't count as 2 runs and nor will 20+20+20. They will both count as one 60 minute run (you can add your short run amount to your large run amount to get full mileage credit).

So basically let's say you do a 15 minute run covering 3K. You can't enter this as a "complete run" for your "club status", however, if you do many of these over the winter, they all add up to more base, so what you CAN do is add these 15 minutes in your entry for your previous run...so if your previous run was 45 minutes, and 9K, just put it in as 60 minutes and 12K and take some partial credit for it.

However, we just added a fairly major change to this for 2015-16 to encourage people a bit more. What we will allow is twice per week have two days where 15 min counts provided you make up the time the NEXT day....read below:

New in 2015-16 was an allowance for 2x per week minimum run of 15 minutes which must be followed up by 45 run the next day. A 15 min run earlier in the day, followed by a 45 min run later in the day does not count for 2 runs in that day, it still counts as the usual 1 run of 60 minutes. The reason for this is that the minimum on 2 days per week of 15 min run is being instituted to assist people in not over doing mileage on days when perhaps a short jog or transition run off the bike or swim is all they should really be doing in the context of an overall triathlon program"
1. Go to training.slowtwitch.com
2. Sign up for a training log account if you don't already have one
3. Then go to training.slowtwitch.com/challenges
4. Look for the 2016-17 100 runs/100 days challenge and sign up for it, or just click on the following and sign up: http://training.slowtwitch.com/challenge/frequency/249
5. Now start entering your runs in the slowtwitch log. Make sure you only enter runs =>30 minutes as one entity. If you have a 20+15 day, enter it as one workout of 35 minute or it will not get rolled into the results sheet
6. Please ensure that you log a distance along with the time. If you don't know the distance, please try to estimate...this will also get you finely tuned to your pace at various times/distances...great for racing
7. Your runs will automatically get entered into the challenge results sheet with everyone else
8. From the challenges home page, click on the link to go to the 100/100 challenge, which will allow you to view the results
9. Once click on this link you will end up at the results page. You can click on any of the column headers, and it will sort the sheet based on that category (frequency, time, distance, aerobic points.
10. Please note that you must be logged in to actually enter your data. You can't enter data without logging into your account (seems obvious...)

I'll update this post as other questions come up.

And as was the case in previous years, there is lots of tough love around here, but everyone means well. If you think I/we might be hard nosed, let me just say, that offline, I get beaten up by even more hard core guys accusing me of making the challenge too "soft". So the rules are the rules (we had a discussion thread about that every year) They've been refined over the past few years and love them or hate them, they kind of work and out of respect to previous years' finishers, let's stick with what works OK.

Please put any questions on this thread. Better to put them here than send me PM's or emails, because they may not be answered n real time if sent directly to me, but if you post on this thread there are a bunch of guys and girls who will likely answer questions for your immediately. It's like being in a big training camp with a bunch of veterans. You don't need to ask the organizers all the questions. There are a bunch of vets who probably can provide much better insights than I can.

FINALLY: GOOD LUCK, PLAY SMART, TAKE REST, COME OUT THE OTHER SIDE INJURY FREE AND READY TO HAVE A PB YEAR IN 2015.

On my front, most years I shoot for 85-100, but this year, suffering from some nerve/spine complication from a 2011 accident at IM Switzerland that are currently limiting my mobility (both walk and run), so I"ll probably try to swim pretty well every day and see where rehab takes me on shuffling around! But I am here with you virtually!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 15, 16 15:59
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarity and putting this up again

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thanks for putting this up again Dev... Good luck with the therapy and we'll be watching those swim miles - GO FOR IT!!

5x Ultraman Finisher
18X Ironman Finisher
2013 Ironman World Championship Finisher
2012 Canadian Ultra Distance Female Triathlete of the Year
http://www.endurancetriathletes.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [katwoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kat, thanks. Bring your crew on to participate.

To this thread in general, today my availability will be limited as I am in the midst of negotiating a contract and hoping to get some training in too. I hope some of the vets can answer questions that emerge today. Best of luck with your training....I know there will already be someone who does 30 min run -60 min bike-30 min run-60 donut shop-30 min run today to log 3 runs. So may the madness commence. Any grievances on the rules, well the time for that expired (or you can do early grievances for 207-18 on the other thread). Over here, let's talk about the feats of strength.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-2*F this AM in Chicago....wussed out and ran on the treadmill. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for setting this up again. 6th year for me and looking forward to it. I have a feeling this will help with motivation considering the deep freeze we are already experiencing in Southern Alberta. Woke up to a warmer day today at -22C!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

Just get on a plane and go to Shenzhen and Taipei like last year...problem solved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Dev. I'm in again. The challenge fits in nicely with the Pfitz 18/85+ plan starting this week. I'm signed up for B2B (the marathoning version).

Got up over 100 last year and the volume really paid off. Set new PRs in the marathon and 70.3 and ran down a Chattanooga spot. Hope to keep it going with another PR at Boston this year.

Looking forward to the motivation from this group!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First run in the books. 40 minutes outside at -26.5C with a windchill of -37C. I hope I get a few warm days in between now and March.

Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it. John D. Rockefeller Sr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid challenge. I never run in the rain. But because of this challenge, I ran for an hour in the rain this morning. Needed the hour so I can do just 15 minutes
on the treadmill tomorrow.

So if I get this right, I would not put in 60 today and 15 tomorrow, I would wait until tomorrow, make sure I get my 15 minute run in,
then put in 37.5 for yesterday, and 37.5 for today, assuming it is tomorrow?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Dec 15, 16 9:31
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [DeVinci13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Phoenix, AZ and we were cold, too. 50 degrees F for my 5:30 AM run. Brrrr..... :D

I've actually been looking forward to this for a while. Am just a runner again and I have some lofty goals for this next year. I've been running 45-55 mpw over the last few months and am expecting to bump it up to 60-70 (barring sicknesses and the holidays).

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Phoenix was colder than San Diego this morning. 55° here when I got out there at 5:45, so singlet and shorts. Going to pay for it tomorrow as a storm is rolling in. I was going to take the day off, but now there's this damn challenge thing.

fartleker - I remember you from (I think) the 2013/2014 challenge. Fast half runner from what I recall! Weren't you in ABQ, though?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was in ABQ. We happily moved to Phoenix 3 years ago.

I was reasonably fast 3 years ago (1:12.59 for a half) but then stopped doing tris and training at all for about a year and a half. Have been purely running since April and want to go faster this upcoming spring.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's what I remember. Much faster than me! My best is 1:17:13 on a net-drop course last year, so I will never even sniff a 1:15, let alone a 1:12 (or better)! I'm 46 and seem to do better at the marathon where not slowing down is at more of a premium than raw LT speed.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:17 is still moving and puts you at the pointy edge of the stick. That's solid!

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In again for this year although have never done particularly well on the challenge. I'm confident for this attempt :)

I have a question though about the rules. Does a run not count towards the total if there is a small walking element? At what point do you draw the line for some of those who may do a run:walk long run or a tempo effort with a min of walk and then some active recovery jog between sets?

Thanks

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think that you only get credit for the run portion, so if you mix in 3 or 4 minutes of walking, you would need to go 33-34 minutes to log a 30-min run.

Oh, and Dev - the link on the OP takes us to last year's challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mstange22 wrote:
I would think that you only get credit for the run portion, so if you mix in 3 or 4 minutes of walking, you would need to go 33-34 minutes to log a 30-min run.

I wondered that but thought I'd clarify as in the rules it is not 100% clear.

Anyway, I'm counting my run today until I hear otherwise and so far am 1/1 and 100%.....

GO ME.

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just signed up this morning. This should be great for me to get back to my running roots. Before I got into triathlon a few years ago, and easy run for me was below 8 minutes per regardless of distance. I've started to creep almost towards 10 minutes per mile this summer, with too much focus on the bike.

Anyways, thanks for organizing this and first run is in the books! Don't think I'll be pushing 100 runs myself, but I'll probably be able to get in about 5 30+ minute runs a week, so something along those lines will be my goal while also keeping up with the Guppy Challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Just get on a plane and go to Shenzhen and Taipei like last year...problem solved!

Right? Unfortunately, my December Asia trip this year was the week after Thanksgiving, so no warm weather runs anytime soon for me. I'll hit Taipei again on January 10, so I'll post pics again form there.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still cannot get the workout page to function. When I click on my user name, I get "Page Not Found"

I cannot change my profile at all; location, sex, age, etc.

I uploaded a TCX file but it does not show speed, distance, etc. I have tried in Chrome and IE. Any suggestions?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just type in the workout info manually. Change it from the default swim, etc. Easy enough to copy a few numbers from Garmin Connect. Not sure if that helps if you're not even able to get to that screen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 1 in the books with a 30 min shuffle in -28c . Felt surprisingly good considering it's my first run in ~ 4 months.
This is my 5 th or 6th 100/100 always with good intentions but never much to show for it. Think highest I have gone is 65/100.
Trying something new. Gonna break this into 5 parts with a 18/20 goal for each fifth for goal of 90. I'll check back in 20 days ...
Happy running
Last edited by: shady: Dec 15, 16 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know IE won't work but Chrome works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016-2017 100 Runs/100 Days Challenge Dec 15-Mar 24 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Stupid challenge. I never run in the rain. But because of this challenge, I ran for an hour in the rain this morning. Needed the hour so I can do just 15 minutes
on the treadmill tomorrow.

So if I get this right, I would not put in 60 today and 15 tomorrow, I would wait until tomorrow, make sure I get my 15 minute run in,
then put in 37.5 for yesterday, and 37.5 for today, assuming it is tomorrow?
You didn't need the hour. 45 + 15 works. The rules say that it should be the 15 min run followed by the 45 min run the next day, but I guess it really doesn't matter.

I would just log it as 45 for today and 30 for tomorrow. Or just run 30 minutes tomorrow.
Quote Reply

Prev Next