Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since we're bumping grievances, what's the word on the minimum run duration this year? Are we going to keep the new wussification rule (15/45) that was implemented last year? Or are we going back to the 30-minute minimum?

Also, remember that even if you split up your runs on your watch (warmup, main set, cooldown), it still just counts as one run - unless they're spaced out by a certain amount of time (I think it's at least one hour?).
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
On the minimum run threshold, let's hear what the masses/alumni here have to say. I used to be adamant that it was 30, then we made concessions that you could split it apart in the day to get to 30. I think that is enough and fair, but in the age of wussification of things that are supposed to be hard, well anything is possible.

My vote is for 30 minimum. No splits, no wussification.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstange22 wrote:
Since we're bumping grievances, what's the word on the minimum run duration this year? Are we going to keep the new wussification rule (15/45) that was implemented last year? Or are we going back to the 30-minute minimum?

Also, remember that even if you split up your runs on your watch (warmup, main set, cooldown), it still just counts as one run - unless they're spaced out by a certain amount of time (I think it's at least one hour?).

The 2015/16 wussification rule will be sustained. The feedback from multiple participants was that this was very beneficial and allowed them to fit things into a more "normal plan"....at the end of the day taking it to the extreme going 45-15-45-15-45-15-30 is the same overall mileage as 7x30, and you got out the door every day (yes, I must be getting old-er). I did not even participate last year, so I have no personal stake in this and am only going by what some of you have shared with me on how well it worked (or not).

At least we are better than Messick's crew around here. We still ask you to run 100 times in 100 days to get the coveted pat on the back. Those IM guys cut out all kinds of legs from their courses, and Reilly still calls people an Ironman....(and I realize that the bar to one up that is low)

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
going 45-15-45-15-45-15-30

I believe there is a maximum of 2 session per week that you can do less than 30
Last edited by: marcag: Dec 2, 16 15:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
mstange22 wrote:

The 2015/16 wussification rule will be sustained. The feedback from multiple participants was that this was very beneficial and allowed them to fit things into a more "normal plan"....at the end of the day taking it to the extreme going 45-15-45-15-45-15-30 is the same overall mileage as 7x30, and you got out the door every day (yes, I must be getting old-er). I did not even participate last year, so I have no personal stake in this and am only going by what some of you have shared with me on how well it worked (or not).

At least we are better than Messick's crew around here. We still ask you to run 100 times in 100 days to get the coveted pat on the back. Those IM guys cut out all kinds of legs from their courses, and Reilly still calls people an Ironman....(and I realize that the bar to one up that is low)

Dev

Yep, if folks understand the intent, it has NOTHING to do with volume!! It has to do with consistency and frequency. If a person runs 15 minutes a day, for 100 days, that is something to cheer about. Longer great, but we see so many get hurt trying to do this thing because they put volume as their main ego focus.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we do some sort of integration with trainingpeaks, strava or garmin connect? It's a pita to manually enter the workouts + will give some credibility to what folks are uploading as their "runs".
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Can we do some sort of integration with trainingpeaks, strava or garmin connect? It's a pita to manually enter the workouts + will give some credibility to what folks are uploading as their "runs"

Yeah, and while we're at it, let's require timing mats, certified courses and drug testing to make sure that uploaded runs are "credible."

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bullshit....30 minutes minimum or it don't count. Can barley break a sweat in 20 minutes. C'mon Dev, buck up man. I remember when!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
Can we do some sort of integration with trainingpeaks, strava or garmin connect? It's a pita to manually enter the workouts + will give some credibility to what folks are uploading as their "runs".

Yeah, because as someone once said "ALL Runners are Liars"

Keep in mind: this is a Virtual competition, on an online community .. for all you know, we're not even real people ... just 1s and 0s ... possibly created as a simulation for some other entity's entertainment

In fact, their could already be an algorithm in place, that has made up a "player" who will always be 1% better than you

And what exactly would be the POINT of cheating? The 100/100 Challenge is a way to keep Runners motivated and base building through the Winter for the Spring racing season. It's worked pretty well for me the past couple years, even though I've only managed to come in around the 70-75 day result

Cheating would just be fucking stupid; you might ace the Challenge here, but fail IRL ... oh yeah "Had a bad day" always comes into play for people who slacked on training

Remember the Circles of Hell

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6092039#p6092039

Quote:
First Circle:
People Who Fudge Their Training Logs
Second Circle: Bike Thieves
Third Circle: Bandits, People Who Fake Bibs, and Those Who Take TWO Finishers Medals
Fourth Circle: Dopers, Course Cutters, and Other Assorted Cheats
Fifth Circle: Gamblers, Sportswriters, and People Who Make up Charity Scams
Sixth Circle: Sports Agents
Seventh Circle: Team Owners
Eighth Circle: League Commissioners
Ninth Circle: Al Davis ... Alone for now, but saving spaces for Jerry Jones, OJ, Joe Buck and Roger Goodell

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Anton84 wrote:

Yeah, because as someone once said "ALL Runners are Liars"

Keep in mind: this is a Virtual competition, on an online community .. for all you know, we're not even real people ... just 1s and 0s ... possibly created as a simulation for some other entity's entertainment

In fact, their could already be an algorithm in place, that has made up a "player" who will always be 1% better than you

And what exactly would be the POINT of cheating? The 100/100 Challenge is a way to keep Runners motivated and base building through the Winter for the Spring racing season. It's worked pretty well for me the past couple years, even though I've only managed to come in around the 70-75 day result

Cheating would just be fucking stupid; you might ace the Challenge here, but fail IRL ... oh yeah "Had a bad day" always comes into play for people who slacked on training

Remember the Circles of Hell

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6092039#p6092039

Quote:
First Circle:
People Who Fudge Their Training Logs
Second Circle: Bike Thieves
Third Circle: Bandits, People Who Fake Bibs, and Those Who Take TWO Finishers Medals
Fourth Circle: Dopers, Course Cutters, and Other Assorted Cheats
Fifth Circle: Gamblers, Sportswriters, and People Who Make up Charity Scams
Sixth Circle: Sports Agents
Seventh Circle: Team Owners
Eighth Circle: League Commissioners
Ninth Circle: Al Davis ... Alone for now, but saving spaces for Jerry Jones, OJ, Joe Buck and Roger Goodell

YMMV

New rule...you can use EPO, HGH and even course cut but you better run at least 30 minutes while doing everything in pink....we'll have random testing of liars using a lie detector test on March 24th. Anyone caught lying on the spreadsheet will be subjugated to a full blown ST twitch hunt that you would not wish on your worst enemy. There is fudging your training log (first circle) and then there is fudging your training log and submitting it to the 100/100 challenge for a full blown twitch hunt....then you might end up joining Al Davis (although I would say he is not solo, I thought there was an agreement to add Kevin Moats to the group). Do you really want that?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kula wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
On the minimum run threshold, let's hear what the masses/alumni here have to say. I used to be adamant that it was 30, then we made concessions that you could split it apart in the day to get to 30. I think that is enough and fair, but in the age of wussification of things that are supposed to be hard, well anything is possible.

My vote is for 30 minimum. No splits, no wussification.

If I may draw a parallel to my kidhood

Ever play whiffleball? Rules varied from neighborhood to neighborhood

Depending on where you played, sometimes you ran bases, sometimes you just kept track in your head [then you get into the "long" vs "high" rules = "over the top line of the telephone wires is a home run"]

Some played "4 fouls is an out"
Some played "1 strike is an out"

in THIS neighborhood: a Run = 30 minutes

If I read Dev's "wussification" 15/45 addendum properly ... you could short the first one, BUT the second one had make up the difference PLUS another 30

yes, you would get credit for TWO 30s, but that second one had to be enough more than 30 to make up the difference

If you wanted to, you could go 28/32 and claim two 30s

Honestly, why would you want to run LESS minutes than the time it takes to get ready?

OK, no smart-ass answers from Sprinters [prep all day for a race that's over in less than a minute]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh the joys of a good twitchhunt! My primary concern is that it takes an effort to manually log the runs. I know a few folks who stop posting runs 50-60 days into the challenge (myself included) just because it takes "extra" effort to do so (as opposed to just syncing up your garmin).

Plus there is still this whole "we are almost in 2017 and my toaster can automatically tweet" thing, but I still need to enter my runs manually.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [baliman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baliman wrote:
Great idea. The only reason that I don't participate in the 100/100 Challenge is my laziness to populate fields on ST ... while Strava/Garmin does it all automatically

exactly. i am already managing multiple logs (i still use beginnertriathlete). good think im not doing USAT NCC this year.

jime wrote:
Bullshit....30 minutes minimum or it don't count. Can barley break a sweat in 20 minutes. C'mon Dev, buck up man. I remember when!

per NCC rules even walking counted as a run. so a 1.5 mile walk done in 30 minutes would count, but per this 30 min rule a 5min mile wont count? it should be on some effort basis too. perhaps no slower than +2 min-mile your fastest recent PR for distance completed ? say you run 5k in 19:59 (6:25/mile), and you want to log a 5k for the day, no slower than 8:25 / mile...
Last edited by: synthetic: Dec 4, 16 12:13
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
Oh the joys of a good twitchhunt! My primary concern is that it takes an effort to manually log the runs. I know a few folks who stop posting runs 50-60 days into the challenge (myself included) just because it takes "extra" effort to do so (as opposed to just syncing up your garmin).

Plus there is still this whole "we are almost in 2017 and my toaster can automatically tweet" thing, but I still need to enter my runs manually.

I know what you are saying. Now I wish my toaster could just automagically enter bogus runs on the ST log so I could feel good about my current non running, but I can't even program the stupid toaster to lie and then blame it on the toaster. So I am stuck entering zeros!!!!

OK, all kidding aside, Slowman is working on a new log and I THINK there will be a way for your files automatically uploaded to Garminconnect or Strava to get sucked in here. Part of the reason that things are the way they are, is to actually force you guys to come to ST to load up your workouts via the ST website....I realize that it's technically a pain in the ass but the idea it to make you come to this website and engage with the community actively. Not just walk around at home with our Garmin magically connecting to the cloud where you have zero engagement with us.

Let's take a step back. Those of us who did sport in high school and college actually trained with other people and pushed each other and we talked smack about training with one another after workouts in the locker room or between classes or at the campus pub and then out talked one another about how we'd make the other guys hurt at the next workout....or sit their quietly and nod and then let the legs do the talking at the next workout. As you all know, this camaraderie is what makes group training fun. Slowman started off ST virtual camps as a means to get us virtually together.

Just magically uploading files to the cloud does not get that actual virtual camp effect. May as well just be training solo (which is what most of us ACTUALLY do, but a virtual camp makes it feel like we're training with others). The social aspect is important even if it is virtual
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Anton84 wrote:

I know what you are saying. Now I wish my toaster could just automagically enter bogus runs on the ST log so I could feel good about my current non running, but I can't even program the stupid toaster to lie and then blame it on the toaster. So I am stuck entering zeros!!!!

OK, all kidding aside, Slowman is working on a new log and I THINK there will be a way for your files automatically uploaded to Garminconnect or Strava to get sucked in here. Part of the reason that things are the way they are, is to actually force you guys to come to ST to load up your workouts via the ST website....I realize that it's technically a pain in the ass but the idea it to make you come to this website and engage with the community actively. Not just walk around at home with our Garmin magically connecting to the cloud where you have zero engagement with us.

Let's take a step back. Those of us who did sport in high school and college actually trained with other people and pushed each other and we talked smack about training with one another after workouts in the locker room or between classes or at the campus pub and then out talked one another about how we'd make the other guys hurt at the next workout....or sit their quietly and nod and then let the legs do the talking at the next workout. As you all know, this camaraderie is what makes group training fun. Slowman started off ST virtual camps as a means to get us virtually together.

Just magically uploading files to the cloud does not get that actual virtual camp effect. May as well just be training solo (which is what most of us ACTUALLY do, but a virtual camp makes it feel like we're training with others). The social aspect is important even if it is virtual

i disagree. knowing it automagically uploads gives you more time to talk smack here :)
Last edited by: synthetic: Dec 4, 16 13:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the sentiment, however I do think that there will be more participation and as extension of that - smack talk/camaraderie if it were easier to upload the activities. I'm excited to see what changes are in store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
Agree with the sentiment, however I do think that there will be more participation and as extension of that - smack talk/camaraderie if it were easier to upload the activities. I'm excited to see what changes are in store.

Based on Trumps toaster automatically tweeting about SNL, I would have to concur that auto toaster enabled log upload and tweets would increase the prominence of 100/100 as the place to be. Can we get Trump's toaster to tweet about his workouts in the challenge? Or maybe as a starter slowman can sign up Gary Johnson and program his toaster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only grievance I have is that I passed on the challenge last year in favour of a bike focus. Worst year so far for me as I peaked on the bike early and a sprained ankle early in the summer blew my season wrt running.
Back on track now with 3 months of BarryP and eager to make it to 100 again.
Thanks for taking the lead on this again Dev. I hope you'll be back again next year adding mileage of your own.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just adding a last minute grievance.....

Weather in Chicago for the start of the challenge is gonna suck monkey balls.....7* tomorrow, heavy snow on Friday and Saturday, -3* on Sunday and back "up" to 7* on Monday.

Yay.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70% chance of rain in Los Angeles tomorrow afternoon to kick off the 100/100 Challenge. I know this is supposed to be a grievance but frankly it's wonderful. I'm doubling up tomorrow for sure with an AM run and then something in the afternoon when it's raining.

Also, yesterday my "workout" was 75min of trimming the canyon trail below my home which will serve as a staple during the Challenge. I think I'm getting a new pair of trail shoes today - I'm FIRED UP!!!

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Just adding a last minute grievance.....

Weather in Chicago for the start of the challenge is gonna suck monkey balls.....7* tomorrow, heavy snow on Friday and Saturday, -3* on Sunday and back "up" to 7* on Monday.

Yay.

Up here in Great White North day 1 of the 100/100 opens with a sultry high of 7 and dips to a low of minus F'ing 27F. !!!!!!
# holyblueballsbatman!!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's going to be 60 here near Denver tomorrow, but drop to 5 by Saturday. Good times, good times.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't get any workouts to upload, nor can I change anything about my profile. Anyone else run into these problems?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, when is the official 2016/2017 100/100 run thread going up with the final rules?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (last chance, running starts tomorrow) [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have the 100/100 thread up by first thing ~ 8 am EST on Dec 15th. I understand that for those of you in Japan or Australia it is already Dec 15th. Apologies for that. The last few days have been fairly crazy between professional and family life and a bit of overtraining of course.

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next