Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [sjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjn wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:
sjn wrote:
Slowman wrote:
it's right here.

there was a 6 page thread I was reading earlier today that seems to have vanished...not just locked, but disappeared

Yeah, maybe next time stick the thread title at the top with DELETED right after? That would save me 10 minutes of looking for what I thought was an interesting thread.

bring the old thread back there were good posts in there

There were indeed. I don't understand why it was disappeared.

Agreed. I can understand maybe locking it if you want to concentrate responses in this thread, but deleting it is odd, especially when some people had posted significant amounts of discussion. It's disrespectful to them.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Slowman....I have an idea....how about an Ultraman style free event at your ranch next spring. Something like 3 days, 10K worth of swimming, multiple bike stages adding up 300-400K and a marathon worth of running spread over Fri-Sun. Come and do all or some and hang around with campers. Aerobic points awarded for whatever you complete, so there could be a "picklist" with some core bike stages and then you can choose to swim more or run more depending on what you are into (along the lines of "what if you could have a multiple choice triathlon".

Meanwhile for those who can't make it they can join "online" for free and do the stages with their buddies at home. Depending on the date we choose, I can try to come out for the physical part or run the virtual part."

i have something else in mind. but, what you write here, this is how we used to think. what we used to do. and the sort of behavior we need to resuscitate.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No offense taken. I did 10 races last year and have already signed up for 8 next year. There's an awesome race series just like what's talked about here where Iive in Madison. RaceDay Events also manages the new WI70.3 race, but they do a series that does a bundled price. 6 races (7 last year with an off road one) for $249. It's a no brainer, with no frills, but well done sprint and Oly races. I love them, as they become "practice" races, with most of the perks, including beer, and decent food after, FREE race photos and even finisher's (and top 3 each ag) medals. ( what to do with all these ones I don't want). That's one way a company is making it work, and frankly I don't know how they do it. It sure brings the joy back to the sport and allows one to race. That said, I've always said one needs to do those races to get an ass kicking, as that's what makes you better. Having raced all the biggies, including the ITU LD WC 3 times, I loved it but they have really priced and overmanned these high end events so a small group can afford them. Sure, I shouldn't bitch if I can't afford it, as it's my fault I don't make more, but how can we expect to build the sport when only a small group has the means to race, and have of them are so obligated in making that income that they can't get away as often. IMO the companies like RaceDay Events are keeping this sport alive and making it possible for the masses. I'd love to see these companies profiled by Dan and try to help them out in gaining more traction amongst the other areas that aren't as fortunate to have such great options.

AlwaysCurious wrote:
I don't mean to be a dick, but with as long you've been around triathlon, how could you possibly not know this would be the case before you even attempted to qualify? It doesn't take but a few years in the sport to realize that ITU worlds (especially long course) is a fancy parade designed for athletes to get plenty of facebook love. I commend ITU for padding their checkbook on this race--soaking people who want such an egocentric experience. It helps subsidize the sport the for the rest of us.

If you really think that this race is "killing what's left of our sport," why on earth do you want to do it? Do you realize that if you (and everyone else like you) stopped racing it, the race would go away?

ggeiger wrote:
The sad thing is that WTC set the bar, and others are following their need for greed. I qualified for ITU WC LD and now that the prices have been announced, it's a joke! Have to buy the shitty quality uniform and "parade gear", give them money for "support staff" ( mechanics that anyone who is a competitor will not need, and the usual USAT entourage who add only cost), inflated lodging, meal and travel costs, and other costs to represent your country in a race where the best will not even be there. Such a crock to suck money for their misguided efforts to grow the sport. I think they follow the WTC motto: Grow OUR wallet! Between WTC and ITU they are really killing what's left of our sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had been out of bike racing and triathlons for about 25 years before I got back in this year. My first reaction is that the sport became insanely expensive. The cost of equipment has far exceeded inflation, and is probably growing faster than college tuition and healthcare. Same with race fees.

For example, around 1988, I bought a Pinarello Montello SLX road race bike fully equipped with Dura Ace. It was the absolute state-of-the-art. You could spend a little more money on C Record, but the Dura Ace was by far the best components at that time. The bike was around $2,000 all in. According to the BLS, the equivalent buying power today for that $2K spend would be $4,100. However, an equivalent road bike today is around $10K. This is over a period when global manufacturing costs have generally been declining. So, bikes have more than 2x outpaced inflation and massively outpaced comparable manufacturing costs for other goods.

I can afford it, but a lot fewer can afford it today than could afford it 30 years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
excessive registration fees that aren't disclosed until the last part of a 20-minute registration process; stuff like that.

i seem to remember that the airline industry was forced to stop that practise and had to be more transparant with hidden fees.

http://www.irishtimes.com/...ard-charges-1.609328

Slowman wrote:
i agree with you. except for the mandatory costs. i am concerned about $15 one-day insurance; non-refundable/transferable entries; excessive registration fees that aren't disclosed until the last part of a 20-minute registration process; stuff like that.

and there are solutions for all of that.

otherwise, i agree with you. i spend very little on race entries, because i consider it kind of a point of principle. i think if you look at the results of the poll, readers feel the same. 90 percent of slowtwitchers feel that $150 is the ceiling for an oly distance, and half slowtwitchers feel that the ceiling is under $100.

should a well-run, safe, shorter-distance race cost more than $100 or $125?
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I can understand maybe locking it if you want to concentrate responses in this thread, but deleting it is odd"

per your request, the thread is back. but it is locked. i removed it from view because (longtime slowtwitchers will know this is a consistent theme with me) i find it highly offensive to beat up on people who try to come into the sport and made a contribution at their own financial peril.

so i have a short fuse on this. a number of you guys keep confusing this place with reddit.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
I feel like I'm one of the cheap triathletes and yet I've dropped a pretty penny on the sport.

Swim: My pool time costs $49/mo. I bought a wetsuit over 10 years ago for $200. I just replaced it with a new one for $200 (Black Friday deal). I have the usual package: suit, cap, goggles, fins, paddles, center snorkel. Maybe $200 for that? Spent over 10+ years, these costs were easily absorbed and less than my dining-out budget. Hell. I dropped $250 on dinner last weekend. Mmmm it was tasty.

Bike: used Specialized Transition Comp (bartered). New 165 cranks and power meter $700. Kurt Kinectic Road Machine $250? Annual TrainerRoad subscription ($?? Can't remember). Netflix subscription. Probably $50/year in clothes. Again, spent over several years I'm still coming in at a little less than dining-out budget.

Run: shoes $300/year. Clothes $250/year - I like the expensive socks. This might cost me more on an annual basis than the bike.

Other stuff: Garmin 920xt $400 (always an early adopter of new release). TrainingPeaks premium. ? Training plans $100ish. I don't even know what some of the stuff costs because it is as ordinary as my utility bills.

Races... it depends. Is it also a vacation?

I think I spend less on triathlon than my friends spend on dining out + movies + cable TV + fashion clothes + date nights + girls night out + pedicures + video games + glossy magazines + all that weird food at the grocery store that comes in pretty boxes. I don't spend money on all that stuff my friends spend money on. So I can afford triathlons. And I might be healthier for it.

I don't know that expense is really the barrier. It is spending priorities as one factor. The other factor is that this sport is gad damned hard - do you realize how much more and harder we exercise than the vast majority of the population who thinks 30 min x 3 times per week is a job well done? We are not normal people. Who outside of triathletes (not talking about pros, but your average working adult) logs 6-12+ hours per week across 3 sports? Just to be a MOP? We are crazy. Crazy is the barrier. And if others are logging 6-12 hours plus per week in their sport then they are crazy too.

I forgot... what's the question again? Expensive? Pftht. I'd rather spend my money on Tri than all that other consumer stuff out there so I can create a calorie deficit that can afford a taco and beer without creating the belly.

"Crazy is the barrier."

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. I started doing tris a few years a go and I didn't give a rat's ass about style, using the latest gear or worshiping the latest triathlete heroes. The only thing I wanted to do was a triathlon. And, what should have become a one-and-done experience has become a lifelong obsession. I've learned how to wrench on my own bikes, build them from the frame up even, and I can find gear deals that would make local police suspicious. I could spend tons of money on gear and parts, but that seems counter to the overall challenge.

What SLOgoing said is the spot on. The sport is losing participants and not replenishing them, also. It's not about money exclusively. There are a ton of pass times, hobbies and preoccupations that cost as much or way more than triathlon. Folks just don't want to do this in it's current state. Maybe it's the obstacle course scene that's siphoning off potential "crazy" newcomers, or maybe there needs to be an actual grassroots effort to make triathlon cool and approachable again.

The cost is a non issue. When my oldest son was in Boy Scouts, there were kids with Walmart camping gear, and kids with 400$ Arc'hteryx backpacks. The kids didn't really give two shits either way, since they were all going off to do the same fun stuff.

Also, I'm up in Paso Robles. Yo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Slowman....I have an idea....how about an Ultraman style free event at your ranch next spring. Something like 3 days, 10K worth of swimming, multiple bike stages adding up 300-400K and a marathon worth of running spread over Fri-Sun. Come and do all or some and hang around with campers. Aerobic points awarded for whatever you complete, so there could be a "picklist" with some core bike stages and then you can choose to swim more or run more depending on what you are into (along the lines of "what if you could have a multiple choice triathlon".

Meanwhile for those who can't make it they can join "online" for free and do the stages with their buddies at home. Depending on the date we choose, I can try to come out for the physical part or run the virtual part."

i have something else in mind. but, what you write here, this is how we used to think. what we used to do. and the sort of behavior we need to resuscitate.

Dan, actually when you think about it....this is how the first races started. Buddies got together and tested out venue in group training. Then we said, OK.....now if we want to morph this into a race, who do we need to pay at the city to close these roads, get this park accessed. Now which one of you guys can do some artwork and which one of you guys can get T shirts made. OK, anyone know someone at Domino's Pizza so we can get some food after everyone races? OK who knows someone at the local radio station so we can get some free advertising? Then it was like "holy shit" we need people to stand around and give out water and I know none of jokers will do that because you'll all want to actually race. Fine, I'll call the Army Reserve unit and conn the commanding officer to get his troops to do all our slave labor instead of those guys going on parade on Sunday. The Colonel should like this type of community goodwill. OK what's left? Shit, we have to time this thing. OK I can program a computer and I just bought one of those funky laptop things that I can bring onsite. But I need someone to enter the data and a bunch of people to stand around with stop watches to record race numbers and time and someone to enter it? OK who is volunteering for that....oh shit, where do we get race numbers from? OK guys, meet at my kitchen table every Tuesday nite over beers and NHL hockey and we'll sort all this out before spring and get it done.

Now how much do we need to charge to cover our costs for all that.

That's how I put on my first 4 races! It just happened organically. But before that we organically trained together and created our own training events. Then eventually I got to busy doing my MBA at nite school on top of working full time and training and said, "screw it....it's too much work to be a race director too". So I'll just put on low overhead training events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of interesting observations in this thread. I've been involved with tris for 12 years and I just turned 30. I started out by borrowing my dad's bike and entering a local sprint. The cost was maybe $40-50. I think anyone that really wants to get into the sport for cheap, they still can do so. Anyone can be a triathlon participant and continue to do so for not a lot of money, if they're resourceful. But once one wants to compete in a triathlon those costs escalate. The "necessary stuff" we need is overblown for sure, and the used equipment market is thriving but one isn't going to get a basic competitive tri gear set up for less than $1000 and most will spend way more than that.

I have spent a lot of money on triathlon equipment and races. I've spent even more time dedicated to training. I'm at a point where my priorities are shifting and the costs cannot be justified. I think this is a case for many people, especially those in my age range (yes I'm a "Millennial") that are just starting careers, homes, families, debt, etc and don't have six figure jobs. Anyone wanting to get into the sport assumes it requires expensive equipment, on top of the expensive race fees. Plus what kind of time commitment seems to be flaunted as the norm? How many times on ST do I read people claiming they're putting in 10, 15, 20 hrs of training in. Drinking beer, playing video games or watching netflix is easier. And cheaper. But I think the more typical example for my age range is needing to work more to pay off my debt, spend the weekend fixing my house or spending my time with my friends and family.

I raced twice last year, one local event and one WTC event. The reason I didn't race more was two fold. One was cost, the other was competition. I race to be competitive. Not the t-shirts, medals, "experience" and what not. There are very few local races with any kind of deep competitive field. Part of this is because I'm in Northern Michigan. But even in the whole state there are few locally competitive races. WTC has the competitive fields. I don't have much choice. Thus I have been willing to jump through the b.s. active fees, year in advance sign ups, USAT $15 fees, on top of paying a stupid amount of money to race.

I think of the business model of discount airlines (Spirit, etc) and think if there was a way to apply it to tri. The basic cheap price gets me entry to race. All the extra stuff is an add on charge. T-shirt, finisher medal, post race food, everything. We used to be able to write a check and mail in a registration form and avoid active.com at all costs. Why can't we do that any more?

There used to be a decent road racing scene here that I dabbled in for a couple years. $30-$40 entry. Beer at the finish. Prize money on top of that. None of the races I did exist any more. If that business model failed, continuing triathlon participation seems to be a challenge. I would like to see the sport thrive, I'm just unsure how. Part of the issue is the cost. Part of it is the mentality required.

Ben McMurray
Northern Michigan Small Farm Venture ---> http://facebook.com/hillvalleymi [/size]

Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Buddies got together and tested out venue in group training. Then we said, OK.....now if we want to morph this into a race, who do we need to pay at the city to close these roads, get this park accessed.... That's how I put on my first 4 races!"

it didn't take you long. your first post was warm. with this you've hit on exactly what i intend to do this season. invite some likeminded friends, no more than 2 dozen, for 1- to 3-day training "events." maybe one of these trial runs becomes a race, with 3000 participants. or not. no matter, that's not the goal.

"But before that we organically trained together and created our own training events."

exactly. as a bonus the "event" will be designed around the geography of the place, rather than artificially constructed to conform to a distance.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [Mc B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"We used to be able to write a check and mail in a registration form...Why can't we do that any more?"

one good reason, one bad reason. the good reason: it saves a lot of costs for the RD. it's CHEAPER for you to enter the race online, because of the entry fee that would be higher if the RD had to actually print race registration forms and have his staff do the data entry.

the bad reason: it's often (not always) just a way for the RD to make money. if it's a large and/or powerful race organization, a deal is often cut with a "full service" registration company to rebate that money back to the RD. the registration company is a punching bag for you guys to spit at and throw arrows into. but really it's the RD you should be complaining to. it takes 3 percent to make the thing go. but you pay 6 percent or more.

and when i poll you, the number-1 registration company you choose is a full service company charging 6 and more percent.

at some point you guys have to take responsibility for your own decisions, and say enough is enough. i've written about this up the ying yang. what if one of you went back to your club, you guys talked it over, and your club made a commitment. what if your club said, "we're not going to race any races that don't absorb the registration fee into the cost of the race." what do you think would happen?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [Mc B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the sport can be done ( realtively) on the cheap the problem is those days people are told you cant train proper if you dont have a powermeter , a garmin 620 and the pinical of the sport is an ironman race.

there is way to many BRAIN WASHED TRIATHLETES around .
now we can argue if the problem are the marketing dpeartments of the industry or triathletes itself who feel they need all this gear and its a neccesity rahter than a choice . I guess on this forum the biggest advertiser of tri gear is Bryan D who i belive is not part of the tri industry he is part of triathlon.

Ironically its the most expensive races that do well So i guess its more the "snobyness" of tri thats the problem as the alternatives are out there. but i guess when you stand at the water cooler at work people only think you are cool if you did the ironman race .....

So i guess what the sport needs is to highlight is that it dosnt need to be expensive. A cheap bike it totally fine to start the sport with , that a 2000 $ bike is enough for most advanced athletes, and if you want better be welcome but dont think you need it. you can call yourself an ironman if you do a non branded race. etc etc.

if the sub $2000 tri bike dosnt sell than we are doing someting wrong as the equivilant in wetsuits has a 40 % market share .

Mc B wrote:
Lots of interesting observations in this thread. I've been involved with tris for 12 years and I just turned 30. I started out by borrowing my dad's bike and entering a local sprint. The cost was maybe $40-50. I think anyone that really wants to get into the sport for cheap, they still can do so. Anyone can be a triathlon participant and continue to do so for not a lot of money, if they're resourceful. But once one wants to compete in a triathlon those costs escalate. The "necessary stuff" we need is overblown for sure, and the used equipment market is thriving but one isn't going to get a basic competitive tri gear set up for less than $1000 and most will spend way more than that.

I have spent a lot of money on triathlon equipment and races. I've spent even more time dedicated to training. I'm at a point where my priorities are shifting and the costs cannot be justified. I think this is a case for many people, especially those in my age range (yes I'm a "Millennial") that are just starting careers, homes, families, debt, etc and don't have six figure jobs. Anyone wanting to get into the sport assumes it requires expensive equipment, on top of the expensive race fees. Plus what kind of time commitment seems to be flaunted as the norm? How many times on ST do I read people claiming they're putting in 10, 15, 20 hrs of training in. Drinking beer, playing video games or watching netflix is easier. And cheaper. But I think the more typical example for my age range is needing to work more to pay off my debt, spend the weekend fixing my house or spending my time with my friends and family.

I raced twice last year, one local event and one WTC event. The reason I didn't race more was two fold. One was cost, the other was competition. I race to be competitive. Not the t-shirts, medals, "experience" and what not. There are very few local races with any kind of deep competitive field. Part of this is because I'm in Northern Michigan. But even in the whole state there are few locally competitive races. WTC has the competitive fields. I don't have much choice. Thus I have been willing to jump through the b.s. active fees, year in advance sign ups, USAT $15 fees, on top of paying a stupid amount of money to race.

I think of the business model of discount airlines (Spirit, etc) and think if there was a way to apply it to tri. The basic cheap price gets me entry to race. All the extra stuff is an add on charge. T-shirt, finisher medal, post race food, everything. We used to be able to write a check and mail in a registration form and avoid active.com at all costs. Why can't we do that any more?

There used to be a decent road racing scene here that I dabbled in for a couple years. $30-$40 entry. Beer at the finish. Prize money on top of that. None of the races I did exist any more. If that business model failed, continuing triathlon participation seems to be a challenge. I would like to see the sport thrive, I'm just unsure how. Part of the issue is the cost. Part of it is the mentality required.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The point the comes up for me over and over is that even a used $500.00 bike is still $500.00 dollars. I don't know a lot of people in my life where that is inconsequential money. Good friend of mine is single with no kids and makes 2x what my wife and I make combined,($120,000K) yet he still hems and haws over the costs of bikes.

I saw in the other thread and in this thread a few folks adding up the cost to toe the line at a sprint try and it has been anywhere from $500.00 to $1000.00

Sure you borrowed your dad's/friend's/uncle's bike and had a good time doing one triathlon. You want to do another one but starting looking at bikes and start researching. Tiagra isn't any good you should go at least 105. 105 is good for most people but Ultegra is even better. But, Dura-Ace DI2 is really where it's at. It doesn't seem as if the entry level bike get the respect it deserves. People need to grow into the sport and grow with their love for the training then upgrade. But, yet we've all seen time and time again that upgrading is just a feeling not necessarily a need.

Why did I upgrade bikes, I was exactly the same speed on my new bike as my old bike. But, yet I was compelled for some reason to buy a new bike to move from a mixed group set to full 105. From stock wheels to 30mm Reynolds. From a road bike to a tri bike. From an Orca Wetsuit to a Desoto Wetsuit. From a 910xt to a Fenix. From no power to a stages. From Stages to dual sided power. From this to that.

We are not creating a culture of run what you brung. I feel like people by and large won't participate in a triathlon on a mountain bike or hybrid because they don't feel like they are on equal footing. We need to find a way to bring in more first time racers that aren't quite ready for a full commitment to triathlon. Then as they grow and understand the sport better they can invest in more or better equipment.

My brother wants to do a race(activity) that I've done the past two years. It's a swim/bike/kayak/run. He's balking at YMCA fee's for swimming. I don't see how he'll ever come off the money for a bike or a kayak(lot of speed can be bought in a kayak).

I understand we don't want to water down triathlon to a point it's a glow/color run but if there's not a concerted effort to draw in first timers and newbies then it will continue to shrink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still think that swimming is the biggest issue with someone getting into triathlon not cost. Even at the pool swim triathlon I have done people struggle to swim 250-300 yards in a pool. When I first started doing triathlons in the early 80's there were not the choices we have today. Back then if you got tired of running or swimming, you tried a triathlon. There were not the other options, so if you were a runner you sucked it up and learn to at least stay at the top of water and moved slowly forward. Now there are trail races, obstacle races, glow runs, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [nbaffaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good friend of mine is single with no kids and makes 2x what my wife and I make combined,($120,000K) yet he still hems and haws over the costs of bikes. //

Your friend has other problems if he cannot afford triathlon, and the high end at that. Maybe he is just cheap, but making that much with so few dependents(0 it looks like) he should have plenty of disposable income for hobbies. If not, like I said, he has other problems(like too much house, too much car, goes out to eat every night at expensive restaurants, ect. )
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He can afford it easy. My point wasn't that he couldn't it's just that bikes are expensive even to people with a little. money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

Just curious, are you going to compare the poll results to actual race fees? (perception vs reality?)
Be interesting to see how they vary by region, branded vs non-branded and distance.

Maybe interesting to see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will admit to not reading all the posts in this thread...... but...

as a long time participant in triathlon, first race in 82' - I have heard and thought about this topic often.

For some perspective, I think it important to recall that triathlon today is not what it was 10, 20 30+ years ago - this directly relates to equipment and cost. There have been huge advances in both over time.

Second - while almost everything can be done on the cheap or on the expensive side, triathletes as a whole tend to be more excessive and competative - pushing more twards the desire to do things on the more expensive side.

But lets get to the point - if you are a new(ish) person to the sport the idea of doing triathlon can be very overwhealming - particularly on the cost side - because you meet people, ask questions about what you need and see what they are doing. A newbie quickly gets a picture (without the benefit of knowledge, experience or perspective) like this........

I need -

bike - $2000 (and of course you learn fast one bike is not enough)
swim stuff, pool access, wet suit, lessons - $1500
Gear, clothes, cleates, sneaks, ect - $1000
Computers, traine, tri club, strava membership, power taps, watch, ect - $2000
Coach (???) - $3000
Race entries, travel, food, nutrition stuff - $2000

Again - does the person need this stuff - no not all of it - but everyone around them, the vets, the people who look good and (supposedly) are going fast have all this shit.

So on the surface it can very easily appear to be a $12k proposition to jump into your first year of triathlon. On more than one occassion I have had new people say - shit every time i turn around there is another thing I need and it aint cheap - also don;t loose sight on the fact that while most everything above can be bought second hand for far less - these new people dont really know how to navigate the system to find this stuff cheap - and honestly if you are making 9for example) your first bike purchase ever do you feel comfortable buying on line, from some dude you dont know, and have no real clue about what is a good product, fairly used and priced?

I know each point above can be picked apart - but look at it in the whole, from the new person perspective

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not the equipment. That's a one time cost. I bought the Shiv in 2012 and have no plans to replace it with something new that might be 10s faster over 40Km.

It's the travel costs, the registration fees for full IMs (and halfs if one is racing more than a few of them), and the FOOD. I eat like an asshole when I'm training. That's expensive. It adds up.

No solution to food. For the other two, racing in local races will eliminate travel costs and the high registration fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep seeing people write "75 dollar entries, 60 dollar entries"

WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THESE 60 DOLLAR RACES?!?!?!?!?

Even an indoor reverse sprint in socal is over a hundred these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems to me that we are all focused on "cost" versus "value" which is wholly subjective. This whole forum throws up their hands whenever they think something is expensive based on their personal ruler. I swear, if it were up to ST, we would only have restaurants that serve chipped beef and drive Honda Accords because, darn it, they get the job done. I happen to believe, every once in a while, paying for a great filet is the reason why I work my ass off. And I pair it with a nice bottle of cab. Guess what? I think that was the best "value" because of the experience I just had. Do I do that a lot? No. Was it expensive? Yup. Did I enjoy it? You're damn right I did.

So I paid a shit-ton of money to participate in IMAZ, including entry fee and new wetsuit (which did nothing more than make me feel more secure in the water), new helmet, plane ticket, AirBnB, and bike transport. Guess what? Best use of my money as I had a blast. My wife gets a healthy husband. My kids see that they can succeed even with all of the setbacks. I fulfilled a lifelong dream that I didn't think was possible. Once again, it costs money but the value I got from it was worth every penny.

If you don't think you are getting value for your money then stop doing it. Simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure it's just the financial cost that's picking up; there also seems to be more of a time commitment for big races than there used to be, and on top of that, the value (related to but not the same as the cost) "feels" lower.

My entre to the sport was similar to many others: cheap (used) road bike, borrowed wetsuit, and running shoes (which I also rode in - as Augy will never let me forget). I showed up at the Muskoka tri on the Saturday, was flummoxed when I saw people obviously getting ready to race on the Saturday night because I thought the race was on the Sunday, and was horrified to find out that there were two races, and my pals had entered me in the LONG distance one on the Sunday.

That race (Jamie Cleveland won it, and I'm pretty sure Dev P. was there, along with a bunch of other guys on this board) is now a WTC 70.3. It costs a lot more (3x? in 18 years) to enter, you can't show up on the Saturday night (so you're paying more for accommodation, and have to rule out anything else that weekend), and you have to spend more time with "corporate" stuff that never used to be there. The food afterwards isn't as good (or plentiful). There's nothing very distinctive about it in terms of the atmosphere; I spend the whole of the swim swimming around people; the bike course is crowded with people who don't seem to race very much, judging by how well they ride. It's no longer such a fun way to spend a day, nor a race that I particularly want to do.

In contrast, there were some open water swim races I did over the summer which I entered because the weather that day was nice: I entered online on the morning of, rode down to the start, swam two races each day for $75 total, had a great meal with friends afterwards, and had the rest of the day to do other stuff. I'm price-insensitive, but I'm very conscious of value, and when you consider the money AND the time required for a half IM, the sameness of many of the WTC courses and the absence of some of the excitement that used to manifest on the day, it's not as appealing an investment as it used to be. In contrast, I couldn't tell you to within a thousand dollars what Otillo cost me to do - but I would do that race again every time it was offered.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's one....

https://runsignup.com/...iescom?remMeAttempt=

davejustdave wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:

no idea where you live but where I'm at we have this 5 series sprint. $60 per race. Less if you have a county park pass. Even less if you bough 5 pack early in year. Think I paid like $145

https://www.ccprc.com/1507/Charleston-Sprint-Triathlon

xterra triathlon was $60

International distance local tri is $80

obviously WTC gets crazy expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:

I can think of at least half a dozen $75 sprints and reverse sprints within a 1-2 hour drive of my home in the San Gabriel Valley, and a few more that are less than $100. Tinsel Tri in Hemet, Tinman at CSUSB, Possabilities at Loma Linda, Castaic, etc. Someone just getting into the sport in the LA area could easily put together an entire season of races that are $65-100, and don't even require a USAT fee...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply

Prev Next