Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [lschaan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see this as three different cost models:

1. The fixed/capital cost - I believe costs are fairly high to enter (bike, gear, wetsuit, shoes, kit, etc) but are generally purchased once and used for multiple years. I see this same barrier for skiing, hockey, and for some real money horses. The biggest variability is in this segment which is why you see $1,100 wetsuits and $15k bikes. But we do have more control over these costs.

2. Ongoing costs - so u have more control over the capital costs but little control over entry fees, license fees, travel costs etc. what I experienced with the level of support at IMAZ and how well it was run, I considered it a value. Again, ski lift costs, lodging, etc are on par with tri costs. This doesn't include monthly req center costs for training.

3. Cost of time - this needs to be factored as well. As a biz owner, I lost $3k in revenue to compete in IMAZ. If I was in my 20's, I could have saved or borrowed for the fixed costs (bike, etc) but would have little time for training or days spent to do an event.

All,of these have to be balanced to determine your willingness to do this sport vs other sports and yes other life choices. Do I need the full NFL package on DirecTV or swimming at the Y? How much do we waste going out that could pay for an entry fee? It boils down to choices.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [Slunnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sad thing is that WTC set the bar, and others are following their need for greed. I qualified for ITU WC LD and now that the prices have been announced, it's a joke! Have to buy the shitty quality uniform and "parade gear", give them money for "support staff" ( mechanics that anyone who is a competitor will not need, and the usual USAT entourage who add only cost), inflated lodging, meal and travel costs, and other costs to represent your country in a race where the best will not even be there. Such a crock to suck money for their misguided efforts to grow the sport. I think they follow the WTC motto: Grow OUR wallet! Between WTC and ITU they are really killing what's left of our sport.

Slunnie wrote:
WTC isn't the only option and they certainly don't even remotely control the sport despite running major events. In Aus WTC have been retracting and other events have filled the space left. I do wonder if the writing is on the wall for WTC in some respects, but Triathlon itself is still quite strong.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The top-end competition is expensive, I agree. When I talk about non-WTC (or ITU as you've mentioned!), I think that grass roots club and interclub racing is something not often mentioned on here, and is something around where I live that is very popular and quite a cheap form of participating in Triathlon. I suspect that the ST'er has a focus more on the top end type of racing, where the vast majority of regular triathletes are mostly club racers who are just out for some fun without the silly expenses and obsessive time commitments.

ggeiger wrote:
The sad thing is that WTC set the bar, and others are following their need for greed. I qualified for ITU WC LD and now that the prices have been announced, it's a joke! Have to buy the shitty quality uniform and "parade gear", give them money for "support staff" ( mechanics that anyone who is a competitor will not need, and the usual USAT entourage who add only cost), inflated lodging, meal and travel costs, and other costs to represent your country in a race where the best will not even be there. Such a crock to suck money for their misguided efforts to grow the sport. I think they follow the WTC motto: Grow OUR wallet! Between WTC and ITU they are really killing what's left of our sport.

Slunnie wrote:
WTC isn't the only option and they certainly don't even remotely control the sport despite running major events. In Aus WTC have been retracting and other events have filled the space left. I do wonder if the writing is on the wall for WTC in some respects, but Triathlon itself is still quite strong.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
our resident provocateur, publiusvalerius, originated a thread that had - if you looked way down deep - a valid and timely premise: that for many our sport has gotten out of reach financially.

that thread spawned a number of offshoots, but the OP himself wrote at some point along the way something to the effect of:we are now having a discussion.

Sorry, but this is kind of a bland start when the OP of "Welcome to triathlon..." was really quite nicely written. I cannot vouch that the rest of the thread followed suit (as I only skimmed the first few pages), but when doesn't a thread go somewhat sour here? There appeared to be some good replies, but now those people seem to be tired and do not wishing to replicate their efforts a second time so soon.

Anyway...

It has been a long time since I competed in a triathlon here in Australia. It has been years in fact, so maybe I am out of touch. I help coach cyclists part-time, it involves focused athletes mainly but we start our sessions right next to a much newer but quite healthy tri-focused group. The bikes in that group range in price, but its clear that people are spending a decent amount of money -- well before they really need to in terms of gains.

The culture of "treat-yourself to the top tier" just seems to be a part of tri and road cycling today.

Though I think there remains a strong interest for select races like Noosa, many people perhaps are finding that the single-sport event, in particular Grand Fondo, is a more manageable goal. At the same time, perhaps its also a more social training atmosphere, with just one sport to worry about.

Basically, triathlon is only part of a competitive marketplace. One where, the sport takes more commitment (time and financially) and possibly doesn't receive the same "wow you did that?" respect it used to enjoy.

[ed] fixed some errors
Last edited by: cerebis: Dec 5, 16 22:39
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Here's the issue I have with race fees. So I've heard that local races need to lower the price. But that's sorta like telling them to take 25% off a race that is already struggling. So then is that RD actually doing any better? If they get 30 more people but break even, what's the point in that? And I feel like that's sorta the answer to getting people back in it. But then it's like big bad WTC sorta just gets a pass because well they are best at business and it wouldn't make any sense for them to discount.

So my question is, and I've seen plenty of small race series deals. Like 5 races for $300, etc. And I get that the tri market certainly seems to be out pricing itself.

So econ majors, how is it suppose to work so that smaller racers get more racers + make some bank so that they can continue. Discounting a discounted price seems to be like "ooook" type of answer.

One thing I'd postulate is a variable pricing regime. The more people that sign up for a race the more the price goes down and this would work retroactively for people who have already registered thus incentivizing your "core" athletes to promote your race. It's not a perfect idea but it's the first thing that popped into my head at 2:00am while surfing slowtwitch from the toilet.

This is probably also related to why I'm single.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked the sentence "triathlon was .. and became cycling" (ore similar). I'm no triathlete but for cycling I learned a lot from it in efficiency, endurance and free speed. We try to get back our sport from overhyped tv and non sporty rules, good luck to get your sport back from elite expenses ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's too damn expensive, if you aren't obsessed with tri it's highly unlikely you will buy in. the consumerism and class divide within the sport turns the working class away. not everybody can spend half their life earnings to buy brand name races, wheels, bikes, power meters, that are absolutely unnecessary in participating in the sport. running has been much more successful, it exemplifies the experience of the sport not which race brand you did, what wheels you have... the entire sport of triathlon is basically owned by a corporation. this is the biggest downfall of the sport. it is infatuated with commodities. we need the working class in the sport, the sport is divisive only the rich can participate if you need evidence just look at the average wage of a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to be a dick, but with as long you've been around triathlon, how could you possibly not know this would be the case before you even attempted to qualify? It doesn't take but a few years in the sport to realize that ITU worlds (especially long course) is a fancy parade designed for athletes to get plenty of facebook love. I commend ITU for padding their checkbook on this race--soaking people who want such an egocentric experience. It helps subsidize the sport the for the rest of us.

If you really think that this race is "killing what's left of our sport," why on earth do you want to do it? Do you realize that if you (and everyone else like you) stopped racing it, the race would go away?

ggeiger wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [sjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjn wrote:
Slowman wrote:
it's right here.

there was a 6 page thread I was reading earlier today that seems to have vanished...not just locked, but disappeared

Yeah, maybe next time stick the thread title at the top with DELETED right after? That would save me 10 minutes of looking for what I thought was an interesting thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
sjn wrote:
Slowman wrote:
it's right here.

there was a 6 page thread I was reading earlier today that seems to have vanished...not just locked, but disappeared

Yeah, maybe next time stick the thread title at the top with DELETED right after? That would save me 10 minutes of looking for what I thought was an interesting thread.
bring the old thread back there were good posts in there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something I don't care for is the tiered pricing most local races have for early registration. I hate making long term commitments to a short local race when I might be injured or something more important may come up. Then a week or two before the race I realize everything is good to go but the price is too high. I think more races should offer a base price that stays the same up till a week or two before the race. They could also offer to credit the fee forward to another race in the event things don't work out (with no insurance or penalties).

That being said I agree with closing early registration a week or two early and charging a bit more for race day entries. But at that point most people should know whether they are racing or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like I'm one of the cheap triathletes and yet I've dropped a pretty penny on the sport.

Swim: My pool time costs $49/mo. I bought a wetsuit over 10 years ago for $200. I just replaced it with a new one for $200 (Black Friday deal). I have the usual package: suit, cap, goggles, fins, paddles, center snorkel. Maybe $200 for that? Spent over 10+ years, these costs were easily absorbed and less than my dining-out budget. Hell. I dropped $250 on dinner last weekend. Mmmm it was tasty.

Bike: used Specialized Transition Comp (bartered). New 165 cranks and power meter $700. Kurt Kinectic Road Machine $250? Annual TrainerRoad subscription ($?? Can't remember). Netflix subscription. Probably $50/year in clothes. Again, spent over several years I'm still coming in at a little less than dining-out budget.

Run: shoes $300/year. Clothes $250/year - I like the expensive socks. This might cost me more on an annual basis than the bike.

Other stuff: Garmin 920xt $400 (always an early adopter of new release). TrainingPeaks premium. ? Training plans $100ish. I don't even know what some of the stuff costs because it is as ordinary as my utility bills.

Races... it depends. Is it also a vacation?

I think I spend less on triathlon than my friends spend on dining out + movies + cable TV + fashion clothes + date nights + girls night out + pedicures + video games + glossy magazines + all that weird food at the grocery store that comes in pretty boxes. I don't spend money on all that stuff my friends spend money on. So I can afford triathlons. And I might be healthier for it.

I don't know that expense is really the barrier. It is spending priorities as one factor. The other factor is that this sport is gad damned hard - do you realize how much more and harder we exercise than the vast majority of the population who thinks 30 min x 3 times per week is a job well done? We are not normal people. Who outside of triathletes (not talking about pros, but your average working adult) logs 6-12+ hours per week across 3 sports? Just to be a MOP? We are crazy. Crazy is the barrier. And if others are logging 6-12 hours plus per week in their sport then they are crazy too.

I forgot... what's the question again? Expensive? Pftht. I'd rather spend my money on Tri than all that other consumer stuff out there so I can create a calorie deficit that can afford a taco and beer without creating the belly.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan:

Two items; one a relative savings and one an operational cost run-away.

Savings for 'more fit' endurance athlete in the form of medical savings and insurance monthly costs. Staying fit is way more financially smart than NOT. And, the only way to keep motivated is to race. Period.

One operational run-away cost is venue fees. Just insane. One bike course went from $35 to $2,970 in one year and with no notice. Same race, same course, same security-that's extra $- and 4 months before the race. If the race ends up at 300...again the increased curve of registration is amazing 14 days before a race...that ends up between $10-$15 per athlete. That is just one example. All venue fee's across the board look like this. No way any business can absorb this silliness.

So we went from 21 triathlon in 2014 to 4 in 2017. Welcome to the post boom-era.

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [trytri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trytri3 hit all the points here. It is an expensive buy in but that can be managed. The biggest issue, I feel, is the time involved. People just don't want to commit the time (or perceived time) it takes to start doing triathlon. Our attention is diverted in 8000 directions a day, which means booking 2-4 hours for a bike run brick is hard to imagine.
Another issue, at least for me. When I got into distance running about 10 years ago, I went online and found a half training plan in about 30 seconds-for free. I still use that plan to some degree. I got into triathlon 2 years ago and I'm still looking for the right plan without having to invest more money for something that might be what I'm looking for. .
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [rdros] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been racing for about 5 years now. I ride in the $1,000ish bike category (it was on sale!) I quite often pass people with much more expensive bikes that I have. The bike does not really matter unless you are at the top of the sport. Seeing people on 10k bikes that are riding at an average of 17mph is really funny. Yes it is possible to do tri on the cheap, but it is still more expensive on the cheap that most other sports. For 2017 it looks like I will be doing both of my races in canada (Rev3 St Andrews and Rev3ish Barrelman) to take advantage of the strong dollar. Registration and lodging are cheaper that for what i would do in a comparable race in the states (even an independent race). I am scraping away trying to save up for the next bike. It still will not be a 'superbike', but I am upgrading to the under 2k category :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really appreciate the intent of this discussion. I hope I can add something meaningful.

I talk to a lot of triathletes one-on-one as customers and friends. Many come to me looking for a new bike. Many are relatively new to the sport or making their first step to a tri bike. These are the less established folks who are incurring the initial costs of participation.

When I ask them what their bike budget is, the most common numbers I hear these days are "$2,000" or "$3,000." I had a guy state "$5,000" the other day. That's the biggest budget I've heard in a long time. That's usually followed by a half-joking, "if my spouse doesn't find out about it." My follow-up to that is if their budget includes pedals, saddle, shoes, and any other parts that might be swapped. That is usually met with hesitance and a bit of a deer in the headlights look. That stuff adds up, but they might not have done the math.

I also ask them about their goals. Two years ago, their goal race was "Ironman something-or-rather". Lately, it seems the responses have leaned towards, "I hope to do 2 or 3 sprints this year, and maybe an Oly or 70.3" next year. That 70.3 is most likely going to be Ironman 70.3 Muncie because it's close and that's the one they've heard about. Toughman Indiana is another option, because it's close and cheap.

The second group of folks are the established triathletes. They've got a bike, maybe a few years old, and all the gear. They are in maintenance mode. I would include myself in this group. They aren't buying new bikes, and seem to be happy with what they have. I thought I had a guy interested in a Dimond a couple months back after he got a nice promotion at work. He decided his old bike was good enough, and took the family on a nice vacation. Most of the folks I talk to in this crowd are less focused on the gear and more focused on the events now. It really seems that the sense of community is a big draw for this group - they enjoy finding events that their friends will do, too. But, those events are fewer and farther between. I know a lot of folks who do one triathlon a year.

If anything, the place I see that second group spending money on gear is not specifically in triathlon. They are buying other bikes and trying different things related to triathlon - whether they decided they wanted a road bike to feel more welcome on the local group rides or are getting on the MTB or a cross bike, they are branching out. I've been fitting a lot of return customers with "new to me" bikes lately (and they are getting killer deals on used bikes). I've talked to a lot of folks that did Ironman events, got completely burned out and are now making sure their couch doesn't fly away.

Those are just some of many subsets of the triathlon community, but just a general observation from a guy who gets a lot of opportunity to observe triathletes in their native habitat. I get the impression people are cutting back or maybe "right sizing."

On a related note, I feel bad for RDs. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Their costs are going up (municipalities and insurance are big ones) and the price has to go up accordingly. Everybody has a point where they say, "Enough is enough. I'm not gonna spend that for a race." As the costs go up for the RDs, that tipping point is reached for more people. My tipping point is $200. I won't pay that for a race anymore. I can do 10 local MTB or cyclocross races for the price of one Ironman. Mix in a sprint tri or XTERRA in there and that's a pretty fun race schedule.

Going back to the bike budgets for a moment, the Premiere Tactical is a healthy dose of honesty, and it's kind of hard to swallow. It's a bit of sticker shock. At first glance I thought, "$5,500 is a lot of money for a bike", but then realized what Dan had put together there and that some of us have certainly spent all of that and a lot more on what started as an "affordable" bike. I'm as guilty as anybody on that one.

Probably not the best analogy, but I think we need to talk in terms of sticker price versus cost of ownership. It's kind of like how car dealers always want to talk about the monthly payment rather than the total cost of ownership. That $300 per month lease payment sounds palatable, until you do the actual math and realize how much it will cost over the life of the lease. And you still don't own the car. But, hey, it's "only" $300 a month. Or how the banks are so willing to pre-approve you for a house you can't afford. The new home buyer is all excited because they can get a $300,000 house with no closing costs and nothing down. Yeah, but do the math on that 30 year mortgage at high interest, add in mortgage insurance, and realize that the monthly payment is more than you can actually afford and you'll be owned by your house before you own it.

Maybe that's the difference between the groups I've described above. There are the newbies, buying that car or house without realizing what it will cost them in the long term, versus the folks that already have learned everything the hard way, refinanced the mortgage or downsized, and are now settled into a more sustainable pattern.

And don't even get me started on what an overuse injury will cost.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been in sport since mid 1980's early 30 now 64 and female. Been in 19 IM 5X Kona, on Team USA in Cancun, many many HIM, age group awards etc. Fastest HIM was 5:11, fastest Kona 12:53. Mention this not to gloat but to say I've been at the front end of the race day "experience"
Its been my main lifestyle but last few yrs noticable difference and wondering what or why even pay for it. Seems the only reason my expensive entry is wanted is for the money. There is no race day experience.
Being a woman even when much younger and winning and competitve among the have mostly been an after thought by RD. Can't begin to say how many times awards concluded before or they forgot to announce the women age groups. So tired of going to the RD if can find them, then the timing people to get it straightened out. Then given some left over award. Now it's nearly every event, running races included. That's after the shifty race experience where we start dead last, race course support non existent(no water etc) and nothing but a few bread crumbs left at the post race meal. This happens all the time.
The t shirt pre race and very much post race finisher even if listed size on entry is were all out here's and extra large for your husband. That even happened at Kona.
So why do I want to pay $700 for IM where you're not even given the full time to finish anymore and can be kicked off as early as 2:30 pm if have a flat or problem which one can overcome from or $300 for HIM where just out there on my own.
Still looking for some events but can't find anything different and everything is now so cookie cutter. I can get almost a whole wk of fun for as much as want for IM.
I've decided to bike across US next summer and if I can find any do HIM before and after. Was anticipating doing Timberman after finished up in nearby Portsmouth, NH but they got rid of that too.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Your points may be valid but they seem to focus on long course racing? Does WTC really have any effect on sprint and oly participation....and getting new people into the sport....or more participation from people currently only doing 2-3 events per year?

I think it does. There are a fair number of people in this area that will not race any local races the year they decide to do 140.6. After that race many of them (who were very good) give up the sport.

Also - look at the USAT rankings. It amazes me now many people do 2 or 3 WTC travel races and nothing local when we have a lot of good local races almost every weekend from June into September.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dabbled in tris for 10 years and then took the sport seriously for 10 years. I have sunk costs in all the equipment: 7k bike/wheels, home gym etc.. I have always had a problem shelling out more than $150 for an Oly or more than $100 for a sprint out of principle, even if I could afford it.

Now though, with kids a bit older (11 and 13) and getting involved in coaching their sports and enjoying some different sports myself (getting back into tennis), I am lacking the time and motivation to train for and race triathlons. I'm still a member of my local tri club and do things to help out there, but I didn't race last summer and have no plans to re-start. I'm running a half marathon next month and do regular 5k running races with my kids, so am staying active, but tris are falling by the wayside. There may be a time and place I get back into the sport, but no plans at this point to race again.

So for me it's not about the cost, but more a change in lifestyle and wanting to do something different after 10 years of fairly intense training and racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I forget who posted it, but the post about golf's parallel course and the short term gains for manufacturers vs long term accessibility of the sport absolutely nailed the problem.

If nothing else, I hope the poster of that response can paste it back in here or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:
sjn wrote:
Slowman wrote:
it's right here.

bring the old thread back there were good posts in there

There were indeed. I don't understand why it was disappeared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

Slunnie wrote:

In 1994 rather then race for Team Canada at ITU worlds in Chicago, it was actually cheaper for me to fly to Austria and do WTC 70.3 World's. I live in Ottawa Canada so 1.5 hour flight to Chicago too. The problem was cost of Team Canada uniform and entry fee. It was substantially more than WTC. And if I wanted to stay anywhere near the race site, well that jacked the entire package past the Austria option. In any case we're comparing two expensive options. I came back from Austria and did my local half IM for $125 the next weekend. Slept in my own bed and was back home just after lunch time. There were barely 100 people in my race, meanwhile Tremblant 70.3 which is 1.75 hours drive away sells out instantly.

Also to Steve-OH's point, in the late 80's and early 90's at least in Ontario, the biggest age groups were 25-29 and 30-34. The biggest age group basically followed me as I move to 35-39, then 40-44, then 45-49. IMC 1991, 25-29 was the largest age group. If I recall correctly entry fee was around $200 (I remember sitting in the hot tub post race and we were saying it was worth the price of 5 races). At the time, I was a lieutenant in the Air Force and was making $27K per year.

I spent money on nothing but triathlon. No movies, no dates, no spending in bars or restaurants, no drinking in pubs (just drank beer with my buddies at house parties). Just work and triathlon. Most of my buddies were in the same boat, but they actually went on dates and did have alcohol in bars. Yeah, sounds like my life sucked but it was actually pretty good. This is definitely sounding like a back in the day post, but I was an anomoly back then too. Most of my friends could not be that extreme.

In any case on the "doer front" vs the "complainer front". I've been putting on free training camps for year. We have a bit of built in competition on some of the 'stages' but the rest if just organized group training (see the footer for the previous stuff).

Slowman....I have an idea....how about an Ultraman style free event at your ranch next spring. Something like 3 days, 10K worth of swimming, multiple bike stages adding up 300-400K and a marathon worth of running spread over Fri-Sun. Come and do all or some and hang around with campers. Aerobic points awarded for whatever you complete, so there could be a "picklist" with some core bike stages and then you can choose to swim more or run more depending on what you are into (along the lines of "what if you could have a multiple choice triathlon".

Meanwhile for those who can't make it they can join "online" for free and do the stages with their buddies at home. Depending on the date we choose, I can try to come out for the physical part or run the virtual part.

"Ultra Camp ST" Swim a lot - Bike a lot - run a lot....lots of smack talk.

In all seriousness, we can sit around and complain till we are blue in the face but do we really need formal events to be triathletes? Can we just not do the sport with our buddies in our own training venues and be a triathlete?

For the first time in 38 years, I did zero racing in formal events but I don't feel like I am "not a triathlete" (even though I could barely walk for most of the year). I just made up my own bike and swim personal events. I'll happily sign up for WTC events when I can do them again, but why does there have to be an "event" to do the sport as a hobby. Can't you just do the components in training.

I'd say slowman is a triathlete and the guy almost never races. Cost of racing is not an issue for him. Cost of gear I assume is not an issue for him, because he's advanced enough in his career (did I call him old....I did) to afford it, but I am CERTAIN, that he'd still be a triathlete riding a 1981 Colnago with Columbus SL tubing a pair of running shoes and goggles. Isn't that all we need to be triathletes?

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Can we just not do the sport with our buddies in our own training venues and be a triathlete?

-----

Yes you can. The problem is then you become a negative stat. You become unaccounted for either in races, membership dues etc.

This is in my opionion what is happening with the youth numbers w USAT. In the past 2-3 years I've seen far more youth only races that weren't USAT sanctioned yet USAT stats show youth numbers are down (all the while have increased in numbers at youth nationals). So then those youth kids who are doing those events and don't get a membership and "omg youth membership is down", when I've seen it actually opposite in that youth numbers are improving overall into the sport (atleast here in US).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
should a well-run, safe, shorter-distance race cost more than $100 or $125?
Where?

In the middle of nowhere, or in a major city? What market? Middle-America, or NorCal, or Mid-Atlantic?

If in/around a major city, road closures and police enforcement—I'd suspect—cost A LOT more for permitting, dealing w/ FOP union minimums, etc. And, I bet the same getting insurance and police presence for a swim in an inner city river, compared with a shallow puddle with nothing else for miles around. ocean swim? Then you need the USCG and local BP, etc. Some costs cannot be avoided w/r/t hosting a race.

What really annoys me: registration fees. active.com, for instance, provides a valuable service. and they ream RD's and competitors alike for the privilege signing up for a race.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Can we just not do the sport with our buddies in our own training venues and be a triathlete?

-----

Yes you can. The problem is then you become a negative stat. You become unaccounted for either in races, membership dues etc.

This is in my opionion what is happening with the youth numbers w USAT. In the past 2-3 years I've seen far more youth only races that weren't USAT sanctioned yet USAT stats show youth numbers are down (all the while have increased in numbers at youth nationals). So then those youth kids who are doing those events and don't get a membership and "omg youth membership is down", when I've seen it actually opposite in that youth numbers are improving overall into the sport (atleast here in US).

I hear ya....there are almost 2 questions.....

1. Is the cost of the sport stopping you from doing the sport as a hobby/exerciser?
  2. Is the cost of the sport stopping you from formal competition?

To the former, I would say, the barriers to doing triathlon are limited. Running shoes, goggles a gym membership with a spin bike and a pool and you're done since your training all three sports. Here in communist Canada my gym membership at my city pool+gym network is $496 per year and I can use all of the 25 or so pools in the city and use all of the 20 or so gyms attached to them. So beyond that I need $100 for running shoes, $20 for goggles, and $35 for jammers. All in I can train triathlon for $750 per year. So around $65 per month or say $2.50 per day....Starbucks or Tri training....pick your evil. If I want to up my triathlon experience and get off the spin bike, add in $500 for a used road bike off Ebay, 2 pairs cycling shorts and a helmet....probably another $750 and I'm set. All of this allows me to practice tri as a hobbyist till I am blue in the face.

With the above, I can also do races. I don't need any other equipment over that (see my post further up in this thread about my first half IM in Vermont that Souza and Huddle also did). Now I have to spend some more money. My local sprint-olympic-half IM scene I can do tris for $75 to $200 depending on how early I register.

I really don't think triathlon is expensive if you choose to be cheap. I've been on 6 hour riders eating my peanut butter sandwiches and water and person beside me is eating $20 worth of gels (10-12 gels) and pre bottled Gatorade ($2 per bottle). That ride cost me around $1. The guy beside me $30. Most of my bike tubes have 2-3 patches in them. I am sure the $30 ride guy throws out his tubes as soon as there is one flat. The same guy is driving his car to meet me for the middle 4 hours of the ride. I am saving gas riding to the ride getting 1:45 extra saddle time while he is spending money burning gas from his car. driving to the ride. Why would I drive when I can ride and get fitter and spend less money... That same person is complaining to me about entry fees and pissing money away saying he can't digest "real food". I'm almost tempted to pull out a picture of Greg Lemond riding at 45 kph pulling out a Baguette and Jambon sandwich from his mussette and chowing that down right before the base of Telegraphe and Galibier that he's goin to ride at 5.75 W per kilo. People are constantly pissing money away and then they complain that everything is expensive.
Quote Reply

Prev Next