Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cost of tri (let's start over)
Quote | Reply
our resident provocateur, publiusvalerius, originated a thread that had - if you looked way down deep - a valid and timely premise: that for many our sport has gotten out of reach financially.

that thread spawned a number of offshoots, but the OP himself wrote at some point along the way something to the effect of: we are now having a discussion.

if the discussion is that there are unavoidable, systemic, required costs that attach to anyone who wants to race triathlon, and that these costs push people away, i have no quarrel with that. further, i agree with that, and have a number of articles in publishing queue on this topic.

i am eager to hear what you all have to say.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,

Yes, it has for me to a point. I am still swimming, biking and running every week, but not racing anymore and I think a big part of that is the cost of races. And I would consider our household salary to be 'decent' (way above average for the population).

Cheers,
Laurent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you can buy a whole triathlon package from Nytro.com for $2500 with a good bike and just about everything else you'll need, the price of the sport is not getting out of hand.

When you can race once a month for $70 a race, the price of the sport is not getting out of hand.

Expensive yes, but so is hockey, artistic skating, etc...

If you want something cheap, buy a basketball. It takes a lot of skill and teamwork to play that game. People that can play basketball well are amazing. Those that can't play it well but have fun doing it for hours on end will have friends and something to do for life
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the issue I have with race fees. So I've heard that local races need to lower the price. But that's sorta like telling them to take 25% off a race that is already struggling. So then is that RD actually doing any better? If they get 30 more people but break even, what's the point in that? And I feel like that's sorta the answer to getting people back in it. But then it's like big bad WTC sorta just gets a pass because well they are best at business and it wouldn't make any sense for them to discount.

So my question is, and I've seen plenty of small race series deals. Like 5 races for $300, etc. And I get that the tri market certainly seems to be out pricing itself.

So econ majors, how is it suppose to work so that smaller racers get more racers + make some bank so that they can continue. Discounting a discounted price seems to be like "ooook" type of answer.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Life is expensive. Triathlon is cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
our resident provocateur, publiusvalerius, originated a thread ....

where did that thread go?
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [sjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's right here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I should even answer this as I haven't done a race in over five years, but that is probably more a direct result of the costs of races than any other factor. I bike and run consistently year round, but quit swimming when I stopped doing races. I haven't bought a new tri bike since 2006 and keep riding my old 9-speed bike. I am somewhat interested in buying a "newer" model USED bike (I'm talking used P2 level - $1500 or less) and getting back into swimming so I can do another race as I miss the commitment required to train at the level necessary to finish a 70.3. I find it difficult though to justify the expense of registering for a race in our area as the prices are crazy. If I wanted to do a full distance Ironman, I would likely have to budget a couple thousand dollars as the cost of the race (~$700), plus travel and hotel for a few days would easily reach that level. The most realistic option for me is to keep my old bike and just do shorter, local races, but the vast majority of these are sprints and I just don't want to pay $75 to do an hour long workout. I'm not sure what discussion you are looking for as I don't have any answers to the rising costs associated with our sport, but I'm content to keep rocking my old school 9 speed bike and training on my own without ever racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan - I'm new to the sport in the past few years but have gone all in. I started with a 10 year old road bike ($150 if someone had to buy one), clip-on aero bars ($25), wetsuit from Craigslist ($50), goggles ($15), and some tri shorts ($40). I stole my dad's clipless pedals and tossed some lock laces onto a pair of mountain bike shoes. I already had running shoes. It cost me around $100 or so b/c I already had the old bike. I don't remember the cost of my first sprint race, but it couldn't have been more than $60. Overall, I don't think cost was a barrier at all and I never once felt like people were judging me for my cheap equipment. In fact, I never felt anything but welcomed. I don't know if it's b/c I'm in the Midwest, but the triathletes I've met are some of the nicest and most down to earth people I've had the pleasure to meet.

My biggest concern before signing up for my first was the swim, and I've been swimming all my life (never competitively). I love the sport so much and have run into the same objection every time...THE SWIM. If it was about money or equipment I could overcome it with all the gear I've accumulated in the past few years, but the swim is a tough one. I've offered to get people to the pool but that requires a membership (there's a monetary objection) and have offered to help with open water but have yet to have anyone take me up on my offers to help. I've even offered to pay entry fees to our local races and yet to have a single taker, and it always comes down to the swim.

Overall, I don't think it's necessarily a money issue...it's the swim. It scares people!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stating the obvious perhaps, the future of any activity or sport depends on the addition of new participants, and currently the buy-in for just a single race to test out the sport is probably in the $100 range, assuming one has or borrows a bicycle, owns a pair of running shoes and goggles, and pays for a local race entry fee and travel to the race. This doesn't include the reality that most people that want to try it have to have a place to swim for at least a little while, and that typically also has a cost associated since most that would enter a first-time race would want to think they might finish.

So let's say $150 invested, and A LOT of time beforehand. That's a lot more than the couch-to-5K crowd is paying for a first race.

Once hooked, then there is swim club membership of some kind, a cheap road bike with clip ons $500+, cycling shoes $50-100, and some decent kit for $100 or so.

At the least, once one decides to commit at least at some level, they are probably in for at least $650 + a pool option (>$300/yr?). Certainly not as much as a good surfboard or SUP, or a kayak, or a set of golf clubs, but much more than running shoes.

But all things considered, $1000 + a few $75 races per year isn't enormous, but it's cost prohibitive for some.

I think the problem comes when the novice becomes convinced that participation requires marginal gains type equipment choices. Those that are committed can choose to make that step, but it's certainly not required to participate. Most 5K racers are not racing to win, but to beat their last best time. Why someone can't do that in triathlon with a mountain bike with slicks is something I don't understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I agree, but it depends on the context. If we are talking about WTC Ironman racing, then that becomes a pretty steep price when one considers the entry fee, minimum hotel stays, etc. Oftentimes, with meals and hotels and entry fee, a single race can easily hit $3000. However, in many parts of the country, like SW Ohio, there is a vibrant local race scene. One can do many races without even needing a hotel if you're willing to get up early and drive to the race. If you stick to independent HIMs, Olys, and sprints, one can do a lot of racing for the price of one WTC IM entry fee...a whole season most likely. And gear is up to the person. I raced 3 seasons on a road bike I already had before I bought my first tri bike. So I think that the notion that triathlon is out of reach of many is really not true; unless we are talking about expensive long course events, and then I can definitely see that argument.

Quote | Reply
"I am still swimming, biking and running every week, but not racing anymore and I think a big part of that is the cost of races."

that's interesting. the cost of equipment is high, the cost of racing is relatively low. is it because racing is a sunk cost, disposable, intangible, whereas if you buy a bike you still have it after every use? rather than a single-use purchase?

that argues for people buying music but not going to concerts: renewable resource versus one-time use.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry but this premise is complete bs. There are many--myself included--who make choices that make the sport expensive but the fact is you could get barebones equipment for under $1000 and do an entire race series With 5-6 for a few hundred bucks. It's the next level of obsession that becomes costly. If you just want to train and race with even decent equipment, the sport is very affordable. Chasing marginal gains is where it gets expensive.

The P5x is not representative of a "need" any more than a $800 IM is. There is plenty of Triathlon to be done on cheaper equipment at cheaper races.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree with you. except for the mandatory costs. i am concerned about $15 one-day insurance; non-refundable/transferable entries; excessive registration fees that aren't disclosed until the last part of a 20-minute registration process; stuff like that.

and there are solutions for all of that.

otherwise, i agree with you. i spend very little on race entries, because i consider it kind of a point of principle. i think if you look at the results of the poll, readers feel the same. 90 percent of slowtwitchers feel that $150 is the ceiling for an oly distance, and half slowtwitchers feel that the ceiling is under $100.

should a well-run, safe, shorter-distance race cost more than $100 or $125?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the problem is not with local RDs, they price how they can (to survive). I think the problem lies with councils, police, etc, who are charging outstanding amounts for permits, etc. We're already paying tax, why do we have to pay for these public resources another time still?
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that some of the posts/threads on this board suggest that you have to have certain things to do well, and that it is these things that can easily make triathlon cost prohibitive.

Threads suggesting you have to have things like power meters, one of the superbikes, etc etc. I've been doing tris for 13 years or so now. Am yet to buy a power meter, although I did buy a wahoo kickr earlier this year (last time I made a purchase over $1000 for tris was in 2014 and before that 2010, excluding travel to races overseas and other associated costs) in order to make indoor training more enjoyable and measurable. But there have been plenty of threads on here suggesting a power meter is a must.

I've recently been tossing up replacing my 2009 Specialized Transition Comp for a p5, but I have been wondering if it is really worth it in the end.

I've probably done my best tri swim in what was then Orca's bottom of the range wetsuit back in the mid 2000s.

I guess it is this idea that you 'must' have certain items of equipment in order to make or help make yourself faster, with those items being prohibitively expensive that grinds some people's gears.

For the obsessive, what are the cheapest bits of "free speed" you can get?

I was pretty impressed at being able to buy an 11 speed ultegra Giant Propel for just over $2000NZ in 2014. So, some companies are able to offer great deals for a good bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought my bikes a long time ago. And I'm paying already a lot of money for my kids to do sport (training and racing). So on top of this all, I can't afford to race myself anymore (or at least justify it).

To be honest, I would still race if I were still living in Switzerland (yeah I know, it's supposed to be one of the most expensive countries in the world). Local races there are still inexpensive (because town councils and police don't make RDs pay, they instead for the most part support them). I moved to Australia 5 years ago, and here races cost quite a bit more. So does sport in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what it "should" cost. I expect RDs to make money when they sell me a product. But, at least in DFW, race series can be bought for probably $50-60/race average for a sprint and slightly more for Olys. Early sign up is slightly more expensive. When you don't plan, sprint races get above $100 which is a bit much for a sprint especially given what I consider to be mostly low quality venues around here. I used to sign up early only to get injured or have something else come up in my schedule and have to cancel. Now I just sign up later when I know I can do the race but will do fewer races due to cost. But that is my choice and there are other options available for those who want to save money
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree and disagree. I tend to think it depends on what type of racing.

I tend to think that IM is expensive to attend, enter and to race. What I see however is the immense commitment that it requires as being the biggest deterrent amongst those in my club. They just don’t have the time with work and family commitments to devote so much training for a single weekend event. They have to do this with their spouses blessing and that is also a big ask of the family. Many more commit to 70.3 racing as it is significantly less demanding.

However, what I do see is a boom in non-WTC racing. My club and the clubs in the region are all booming. There has been a deliberate fostering of an involvement culture from little little kids all the way through to multi-world champions. There isn’t the pressure to buy expensive kit or expensive bikes. Many of us have at some time competed on MTB’s and lots do compete just on banger road bikes – it really doesn’t matter. Kids are competing on just whatever they happen to have and many don’t even use trisuits etc. At club level, the club for a long time has been able to cover club costs so to go racing there has been no charge and up until this year there has been no charge for club membership. We have an interclub series of racing which is about $10 to race at each of the clubs venues but you also get prizes and a BBQ. Also, many of the competitive younger athletes are now pursuiting sprint, draft, ITU racing. Actually within the club ITU racing is booming for Australian races and in support for the world championship events that are hosted in Australia.

My opinion is that triathlon is expensive if people want it to be expensive or if the focus is on outright performance. Shift the focus back to family involvement, fun and participation, likewise also a culture to a positive and supportive environment where everybody backs, encourages and supports every other and things will change. Some will still look for that edge and some will just be out there having a great time at minimal cost.

Have to also remember that ST does not remotely reflect the thinking process of what is going on at grass roots level.

Edit: What does a great club with cost effective fun look like? This is a neighboring club who are growing rapidly and doing things really really well. Its worth scrolling through their pics to see how things are done with their Friday night racing and like all of the clubs in this area, there are no/few super expensive bits of kit. Triathlon isnt necessarily about WTC, big dollar racing, or top of the line equipment to be competitive.
https://www.facebook.com/cowratriathlonclub
Last edited by: Slunnie: Dec 5, 16 19:44
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of tri (let's start over) [Slunnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slunnie wrote:
Have to also remember that ST does not remotely reflect the thinking process of what is going on at grass roots level.

Also worth considering that asking people who are already IN the sport whether cost is a barrier to entry or whether the sport is broadly perceived to be cost-prohibitive is probably not very useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
it's right here.

there was a 6 page thread I was reading earlier today that seems to have vanished...not just locked, but disappeared
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first Olympic Distance tri cost me about $700. I already had a second hand road bike, so went out and bought a $300 wetsuit, an Orca tri-suit, and some half-decent running shoes. Race entry was $75. I enjoyed it and wanted to do another.

The cost of moving from complete to compete - being in that first third of the field and setting personal bests - that's a slightly more difficult route. Even with second hand equipment you are looking at several thousand. And I think that's where the problem is.

If the standard is entry, then for those not entering a WTC event it's quite a reasonable sport, compared to any other. If the standard is competitiveness, then it starts to add up.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
32nd year of Triathlon, closing in on 300 finishes....Started in 1984

I Race on a 1999 Alum P3 I bought used for $2,100 in 2001...no planning on replacing it. It still works (and looks decent also...) that's a 17 year old bike.

I have a used Zipp disk I bought in 2002 (Hamish Carter borrowed it and used in once from the guy I bought it from). I run that in the back and a Hed 3 in front that I won for answering a triathlon trivia question at Lifetime Minneapolis Triathlon in 2003 or so....for once my knowledge concerning the history of the sport paid off

Is this bike, with these wheels fast?...I assume so, I don't really know, perhaps the techies on this board can fill me in...I have always taken my times and results seriously while competing in local sprints, I am not bad in the minor leagues but nothing to write home about...

I haven't raced Ironman or WTC events since 2001....I race local, all season. I now do 4-5 sprints each year focusing on maxing my performance at every race but will key on 1 or 2 to really go for it....

I can afford more, no problem, I just cant stomach it...I only want a bike that will make me faster and I am not sure a new bike would actually be quicker...I am afraid if I bought a used bike (to get a good value) I worry could not replicate the position I am in that seems to work for me on the P3 alum....perhaps I am overly concerned but I don't want to risk it...so I dont. May next bike will be to upgrade to a better used Mt bike. I might race on this P3 another 12 years...no shit.

I have purposely avoided the Lifetime Triathlons here because they are to expensive, and to much of a hassle....I could easily afford them but I am not going to pay over $100 for a sprint when I have cheaper options locally. I don't want to encourage this kind of expensive race options so I don't do expensive races.....or WTC.

I want the local scene to do well so I can race close to home.....We still have plenty of options here in Minneapolis but we are going to lose some races this year although we still have enough reasonable priced events $70-90 for a sprint and most are not USAT sanctioned.....I have only been a USAT member about 1 year of the last 10...I paid a one day at a few events over those years but as I said, most local events aren't USAT sanctioned so I dont join...

I am concerned about the drop in participation which I commented on in other threads...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Races are not that expensive I dont think in reality. My kids pay 50-70 for a swim meet. Ill pay 130 for running a race ( Victoria marathon) and the Whistler grand fondo is 250 dollars. a total of 450 dollars....to pay 450-700 for all three doesn't seem out of line for a triathlon of comparable quality and esteem. If I just want a racing experience and not the deluxe WTC or ITU experience there are grassroots options available to me for less money. ( there used to be more untill WTC purchased them) I think an issue with race fees though is you have nothing tangible to show for it after you have paid except a medal. It is a cost that hurts more...but is the point of the whole thing. If RD could make it more of an 'experience' or family fun event etc etc

Equipment can be expensive if you shoose to go for the bling. But you get something for the expenditure that you can touch and use over and over. Eqipment on a per use cost is pretty low. Even the most expensive running shoes are less than pennies per KM. five hours per week on a nice bike...it makes it more enjoyable. Swimming in a lake is free. A pool has costs no doubt about it. At my pool an annual pass is about half the cost of an IM race.

i dont think that it is the costs that are causing shrinking numbers. I believe it is a natural ebb and flow. I dont know if it is just my n=1 but I have noticed that running races seem to be declining as well as interest in them. The running club in my area is not getting younger. We have a try a tri at our pool each summer and the interest there is lagging.

Im 50. people I know still talk about seeing Julie Moss and how they were inspired to one day do an IM....what moment in triathlon do 20 year olds have that wriggle into their brains and will sit there for 20 years before they decide to go for it? I came out of the running boom in the 80's I can still think of my friends talking about Carlos Lopes, alberto salazar, Rob decastella. seb coe.....so from highschool I was addicted to endurance sport and the culture of it. So maybe it is a cultural thing also...too many shiny thnigs out there to attract attention. When I was kid it was ABC wide world of sports for all your interesting sport exposure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"I am still swimming, biking and running every week, but not racing anymore and I think a big part of that is the cost of races."

that's interesting. the cost of equipment is high, the cost of racing is relatively low. is it because racing is a sunk cost, disposable, intangible, whereas if you buy a bike you still have it after every use? rather than a single-use purchase?

that argues for people buying music but not going to concerts: renewable resource versus one-time use.

$800+ for an IM versus $10 for a local club race, i can see why people limit how many bigger events they.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Dec 5, 16 19:17
Quote Reply

Prev Next