Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2017 Race Plans
Quote | Reply
What races are y'all looking at doing next year?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Race Plans [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good timing! I'm just trying to wrap up my 2017 plan...

March 19: March Triathlon Series Oly (hosted by Cal Poly). IN FLUX! The lake is unswimmable and we don't know how much water we'll get this year. Hope it isn't cancelled. The website says they are posting update mid-November... hoping they change to an ocean swim.

May 7: Wildflower. SCRATCHED. Looking for a new one.... help!

May 17: Birthday run...40k this year. I have big plans to do an east-west epic trail run across the Ventana Wilderness. This is getting harder every year.

June TBD - 7-10 day backpacking through Sierras

July 8: June Lake Oly

July 23: SLO Sprint Tri (in a pool!)... it literally goes past my house.

Aug 12: AGNC Oly, maybe. Depends on how they seed the heats. I don't want a 10:20 start time, but I'd take a 7:30 start time.

Sept 9: SLO Ultra 13.1m

Oct 1: Scott Tinley's Oly SCRATCHED. Empty lake. 2016 was cancelled as well.

Oct 22: Playa del Rey Oly

Oct 29: SLO Gran Fando 100k bike ride

I'm entertaining a few other options as well. These are (were) my go-to races around my area.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:

I am hoping this means the new CLM knee is ready to race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two ultras between 32 and 35 miles planned. The one that I am really excited about is a point-to-point race from the interior of Iceland to the coast (I need to check when registration opens for that). I am also planning on a full IM, probably Louisville. I was really disappointed with the way IMNC was handled, and it was supposed to be my first. If this next one isn't handled better, I will stick with independent races. I will also throw in a few short, just for fun races.

One thing that I am doing different next year is getting a coach. I have interviewed a couple of them already. I am looking for someone who can tie the training for my two sports together while still understanding that they are hobbies and not a job.

Do any of you have a coach that you really liked?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Race Plans [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am looking for someone who can tie the training for my two sports together while still understanding that they are hobbies and not a job.

Do any of you have a coach that you really liked?

desert dude has never actually coached me, but has provided a lot of help, and I attended a training camp that he organised. I would highly recommend him, and he understands the hobby-not-job thing. I've also heard really good things about Personal Best Multisport Coaching, and I have met Kurt Perham and he knows his stuff.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't picked

At some point, I will be traveling across the country to wherever I end up job-wise (I hope, at least), and I'm hoping to race in some states and put them on the map... current list is UT, NV, ME, NH, MA, OR, WA, CO.

I want to do the PFBF 5k and SSF/Lake George Sprint tri. Both are in Maine but it depends on where I land a job, and travel.

My real goals are to crack 20 in a 5k and 40 in a 10k, so the best plans I can say are "a bunch of 5k and 10k races" :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Race Plans [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on DD. Many STers know I've used Francois several times in the past - he's not for everyone but that's more to do with his LR shenanigans than his actual coaching ability IMO (sometimes he should just step away from the computer haha but he knows his sh*t esp for AGers who also have lives). AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Race Plans [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee wrote:
ironclm wrote:

I am hoping this means the new CLM knee is ready to race!

Well, I seem to do better with goals so it's time to get back in shape.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Provincial short track championships at the beginning of March
World's All Around Masters long track speed skating the next weekend (3 days of racing and my first indoor LT track meet - should be fast! - no wind or blowing snow in your face)
One or two local 5k and 10k races in April and May
Gibson's Grind Fondo (110k) in June (http://www.gibsonsgrindgranfondo.com/)
One or two local 5k and 10k races in July and Aug (but mostly dryland and riding)
Cypress Hill Climb Challenge in mid-Aug (http://www.cypresschallenge.com/)
Likely a first CX race next fall
Then right back into skate season.

BOOM!

We call it the Circle of Gear in our house (skate gear Sept thru early Mar; cycling gear Mar thru Sept).

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short answer is, I don't know, in part b/c I'm a bit unsure what I want to get out of next season. There's a discrepancy between what I think I can run and what my coach thinks I can run. Based on on-line charts and the like, I agree with the pace it seems I should be able to run for a marathon; however I can't seem to do it. On the one hand, that's fine, b/c I don't particularly find marathoning fun. On the other, I feel like a failure.

I've got a variety of pains plaguing my right side, from hip to shoulder. The flare up of discomfort comes and goes and I haven't been able to pin down a good cause and effect. I think I have a muscle imbalance, like I'm not engaging the right muscles for the job, and this is expressing itself as shifting right side pain. I'm not currently in pain enough to try another round of doctor visits. The bottom line there is that I am way too highly functioning for most doctors to have any idea what to help me with, so unless pain is keeping me from sleeping or distracting me at work, I don't see bothering going back to a doctor. Much to my absolute dismay, one of my coaches said he thinks it's in my head.

Not being able to hold run pace, shifting discomforts - these things make it tough to build a goal and I wonder how long before I need to give up long distance triathlon. This brings me to "what do I want to do before I have to stop". Answer: Powerman Zofingen. It'd be more fun to go with a friend, but I don't seem to have any that are interested.

So I have no race schedule, and no particular drive to throw myself out of bed in the morning to get training done. Work has been crazy, so I haven't been good about training after work at all. Soon I will have to shift back to clocking out at a certain hour and too bad for what doesn't get done. But I've got more opportunity/responsibility at work now, so don't know how to just fail at getting things done on time.

Wildly stressed and not working out regularly, and feeling sore whether or not I work out- I'm not so happy these days.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far, I've registered for IM Puerto Rico 70.3 in March as well as IM St. Croix 70.3 in May. I had planned on doing Vineman 70.3 in July but with the date change this year (it's now the week after St. Croix in May and will go back to July in 2018), I'm looking for a summer/late season 70.3. I may do the IM North Carolina-Beach 2 Battleship 70.3 if the half stays in October. Since we are still waiting to hear what they are planning on doing with IM NC 140.6/70.3, I'll just have to wait to finalize the end of the season.

Otherwise, I'll do several sprint tris (with maybe an Oly at WikiWiki Man at Lake Tawakoni) in the Dallas/McKinney/Plano area.

I have a coach from Playtri (based out of Dallas) that I really like. I live outside of the Dallas area but we do most of our communication via email, text or phone calls. Whenever I am able to get into town, he makes time to get a session in with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Already registered for the Run4RKids 8-hour ultra on an indoor track on January 7th.

Plan to do the Frosty Trail 3-hour on January 21st as well.

Pick Your Poison 50k at Heights of Horseshoe ski hill on April 29th (I did the 25k here before - it's a 12.5km loop - and it's an ass kicker)

Limberlost Challenge 56k on July 8th

Haliburton Forest 50mi in early September

Horror Hill 6-hour at the end of October is pretty much a given..

..and then there's one thing at the end of May that I almost don't want to talk about because it scares the crap out of me.

Quote | Reply
Adding in the HellRacer 250 in early July - 250km loop with wicket climbs and gravel sections. Sufferfest for sure. Gotta find a 1:1 gear ratio methinks!

Route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14050160

Good article w/pics about it: http://www.7meshinc.com/...d/the-hellracer-250/

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Race Plans [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That does look like fun. When I have decided that I have had enough of triathlons, I am going to get a gravel grinder and go for those long gravel races.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Race Plans [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
Already registered for the Run4RKids 8-hour ultra on an indoor track on January 7th.

Plan to do the Frosty Trail 3-hour on January 21st as well.

Pick Your Poison 50k at Heights of Horseshoe ski hill on April 29th (I did the 25k here before - it's a 12.5km loop - and it's an ass kicker)

Limberlost Challenge 56k on July 8th

Haliburton Forest 50mi in early September

Horror Hill 6-hour at the end of October is pretty much a given..

..and then there's one thing at the end of May that I almost don't want to talk about because it scares the crap out of me.

Thanks for posting all the links! Those races look awesome. This is a bit of a weird year for me with family (just married) and job changes (and a potential cross-country move), but for now it looks like this:

December 5 - North Face Challenge trail half-marathon (maybe)

January 28 - TOC mile (1500 SCM pool swim - I do this every year). My goal was to break 20:00 in 2017 but that isn't happening this year with the new hardware in my clavicle.

April 6? - Napa HITS triathlon. I had a good time last year.

May 2 - Philly Broad Street Run (10 miles) - LOVE this race.

August 11/12? - Donner Lake 2.7 mile swim and the Reno 10 miler (also a yearly thing for me)

Other possibilities
- As many open water races as I can fit into my schedule here in CA, plus a few on the East Coast would be awesome
- Modesto marathon in March - I want to try for a BQ and this looks like a good time and place to do it. That said, I hate marathon training.
- IM in 2018 probably
- I'd also really like to break 20:00 in a 5K, but that will take a small miracle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got notice that I've got a spot for Worlds in Rotterdam -- Woohoo! So that'll be my big 2017 "A" race. :) Since that's in September, and I have a habit of burning out around mid-July after going full throttle starting in January, I'm going to spread out my local races and ramp up slower next season. In 2016, I raced every 2 weeks from the beginning of May till mid-July. It was too much. I'll do a little fundraiser 5k in April -- which should be fun, since I've never actually run an open 5k. I'll skip our first local tri, which is in a pool, and start the tri season in June with the Ottawa River tri. In July I'll do Nationals, probably the draft-legal sprint again because it's such a fun format. I'll do 2 or 3 other tris and probably a cycling event before Worlds. I hoped to include the Tremblant 5150 in there, but it's sold out already! Guess that's what happens when it's on the same weekend as the 70.3 that sells out within hours. :P
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Race Plans [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
Just got notice that I've got a spot for Worlds in Rotterdam -- Woohoo! So that'll be my big 2017 "A" race. :) Since that's in September, and I have a habit of burning out around mid-July after going full throttle starting in January, I'm going to spread out my local races and ramp up slower next season. In 2016, I raced every 2 weeks from the beginning of May till mid-July. It was too much. I'll do a little fundraiser 5k in April -- which should be fun, since I've never actually run an open 5k. I'll skip our first local tri, which is in a pool, and start the tri season in June with the Ottawa River tri. In July I'll do Nationals, probably the draft-legal sprint again because it's such a fun format. I'll do 2 or 3 other tris and probably a cycling event before Worlds. I hoped to include the Tremblant 5150 in there, but it's sold out already! Guess that's what happens when it's on the same weekend as the 70.3 that sells out within hours. :P

Wow! Congratulations!!! 2017 is going to be amazing. That is so awesome.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Race Plans [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'm pretty excited... caught a rolldown after getting bumped in the age-adjusted results, but I'll take it any way I can get it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay!
I am guessing that we are on a wait-and-see schedule regarding camp in the spring ... I saw Monty posted a camp in Feb, so I am hoping there is still a chance we can all convene at Xantusia somehow ... that said, I am committing to a more-training-fewer-margaritas camp myself in February, in Arizona, with the AP racing team. If anyone else is interested, I could use a roommate and ride partner or two or three...
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Race Plans [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
Thanks! I'm pretty excited... caught a rolldown after getting bumped in the age-adjusted results, but I'll take it any way I can get it. :)

Congratulations!!

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Race Plans [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee wrote:
Yay!
I am guessing that we are on a wait-and-see schedule regarding camp in the spring ... I saw Monty posted a camp in Feb, so I am hoping there is still a chance we can all convene at Xantusia somehow ... that said, I am committing to a more-training-fewer-margaritas camp myself in February, in Arizona, with the AP racing team. If anyone else is interested, I could use a roommate and ride partner or two or three...

I'll have to check with him. I have a lot of work travel in February and we are targeting a gravel race in Missouri in mid-January so I'll be on the bike a lot.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
surroundhound wrote:

Congratulations!!
Thanks, clm! :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Help.... I can't figure out my 2017 early season and fall races. I used to do Wildflower (first weekend in May) and Scott Tinley (early Oct), but both are cancelled.

I'm looking for a race between April 20 - June 10. I have June Lake Oly Tri July 8, so don't want to have one too close to that.

For fall I'm looking for something after Sept 1.

Anywhere in the continental US is good. I have a trip to Ireland loosely scheduled in spring (sometime after April 15). If it happened to also include a Tri that would be okay to.

Half or Oly...

Any ideas?

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Race Plans [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about the LA Tri Series Olympic in San Dimas on May 13? It's not too far from you (closer than the Playa race you did) and is a well organized race on good course with some good SoCal talent.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2017 triathlons plans are:
  • The Desert Tri Olympic in Palm Springs in March (B Race)
  • The HITS 70.3 in Napa in April (B Race)
  • Santa Rosa 70.3 in May (A Race)

Everything else will depend on how Santa Rosa goes.

I might do another Oly in the spring (depends on training/work travel/getting fit on a bike/this stupid injury).

I'm doing an adventure race in January and will do some other running events along the way.

Wishing everyone a healthy and fast 2017!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply

Prev Next