Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Nov. 7 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 7 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting us off!

last week's plans:

- Run 2x (track, ez aerobic) - DONE
- Ride 2x - DONE
- Skate 4x including a meet on Sunday - DONE (2 PBs) and my legs are so tired today!
- Core/drills/weights 1x - DONE

This week:
- Run 1x (ez aerobic)
- Ride 1x
- Skate 3x including a meet on Sat
- Go to the cenptaph on Friday and think about all who have given

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi tigerchik, thanks for getting us started!

After months of blah, last week's training helped me start feeling like myself and my training is mostly back to normal.

Quote:
The week's totals should be daily p/rehab, 3 strength sessions, 3 swims, 2 or 3 runs, 1 or 2 yoga sessions, and 2 bikes. I have a threshold run test (20 minutes) which is a good sign that things are getting back on track with my running (woo!) but I don't expect the results to be pretty. Start where you are, do what you can, blah blah blah... I'm also planning to do my first race simulation since getting hurt (swim/bike/run on Saturday), I'll take that all pretty easy and just try to get back into the swing of things -- hoping to race in December [fingers crossed]

I did an almost Oly-distance race simulation on Saturday (1500M ocean swim, 20 mile bike, 5 mile run) and it went great -- I ran like a wounded baby giraffe off the bike but woo progress -- after 5 months, I'm a triathlete again :D During the week I did my daily p/rehab, got in 3 strength sessions, 2 yoga sessions, 3 swims (2 pool, 1 ocean), 2 bikes (1 road, 1 trainer), and 4 runs including a threshold run test at the track. All that progress helped me put on my big girl pants and sign up for an Oly race in December!

I have a regular training this week (3 swims, 3 runs, 2 bikes, daily p/rehab, yoga) but this weekend I leave for two and a half weeks of travel (to Asia and then on the East Coast). I'm hoping to keep up the good momentum but now training won't be a priority. I'm hoping to run and lift regularly in all locales (and maybe even swim?) and will be able to rent a bike when I get back to the states.

I hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 7 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats on the 3-sport workout! Is your travel for fun or work?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 7 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This week:
submit one more job application done, write at least 30 min on dissertation today (that was last Monday, done) and 1 hr Tues-Fri. done Tues, Wed., Thurs. was busy w travel Fri but got a little work done
bike 3x done!
swim 5x only 3
day off from running done
I fly to Tucson for a conference on Friday!

Tucson was good; I didn't have my slides for my talk fully done when I got there, so finishing those (plus anxiety) prevented me from engaging in some of the fun things. Not going with slides done is totally my fault :P I will learn from that next time. I did have a good experience professionally - I did some good networking. Also, I did sit outside for a little bit so I got a "warm sun" fix.

M: 11 mi run + 800 yd swim
T: 3 mi bike + 9 mi run + 1000 yd swim + 3 mi bike
W: 3 mi bike + 6.8 mi run (speed) + 1600 yd swim + 3 mi bike
T: 20 mi bike
F: 10 mi run
S: 9.6 mi run + 3 mi bike
S: 9.3 mi run

totals 3400 yd swim, 35 mi bike, 55.7 mi run

goals for this week:
swim 5x (1 done)
bike 5x
run - one day off, do things that get me faster (1 done ;-)
5 x 1 hr focused writing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
- Skate 4x including a meet on Sunday - DONE (2 PBs) and my legs are so tired today!

Congrats!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks tigerchik,it was a long time coming (140 days!) so I am relieved it went well. I am definitely going to need to practice running off the bike for 2017.

It's a combination trip :D

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 7 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay for being able to link it all together again! And safe & enjoyable travels!

My main goal was cycle x 6/7hrs. FTP test went well (up 11 watts) but that just made the rest of the workouts that much harder mentally if not physically. I did cycle 6 times but bailed with about 15 minutes to go on one workout. I had barely been able to hold my watts the two previous intervals and I felt like I was digging myself into a hole. I also did upper body workouts/physio every week day and rolled on the days that I didn't.

Time change went poorly for me. OH was on call over that night and every time I fell asleep the phone rang for him. Eventually he got a call and headed out and I just couldn't get back to sleep for a couple of hours.

I had another physio appointment. Still no running but I'm coming to terms with that. Not sure I have the energy to run what with pushing myself on the bike.

For the coming week: cycle x 6/7h45. Stay on top of physio/upper body stuff. Don't stay up too late watching the election on Tuesday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last week's goals:
walk x 3: win with 6
swim x 2: win
bike x 1: win
run x 1: win with 3

Ankle felt fine again by Thursday, so I went for a short run - has been ok since, but I've been trying to be careful. Trail running after dark on Saturday probably wasn't my smartest move, but I managed not to do any damage and that left me with Saturday afternoon to rake all the leaves for the vacuum truck to come this week - back wasn't super happy about it (and husband had to work all weekend, so I was on my own), but it's done now. Was pretty shagged out Saturday night after 20km of cycling (to the market & back since I had no car; carrying ~15lbs of groceries up the big hill we live on to get home), 1h20m of raking leaves plus a 7.5km run!

Crossing the Speed River after dark

It was beautifully warm and sunny all weekend, so I walked about a mile from home down to the other end of the same trail for a run on Sunday afternoon. It's been under construction so you can't run the whole thing through, but I did an out-and-back to the spot where it's closed, covering the whole trail over the 2 runs.

Speed River in glorious sunshine.

Still a lot of green for November.

I ran on my lunch yesterday, too, so I could take advantage of another lovely day - maybe the last of the year? Sunset is just 4 short minutes after I get off work since the time change, so it was my only chance to run in the sun.

Looking pretty low on the horizon just before 4pm.

This week's goals:
- swim x 1
- run x 4
- core/strength x 2 (done)
- mobility/stretch x 2

I have another 6-hour ultra on Sunday, and we'll be staying in a hotel near the race venue Saturday night. Just trying to take it pretty easy this week as I'm still carrying a lot of fatigue from the 6-hour on the 29th - I did a lousy job of getting decent amounts of sleep for recovery last week. I don't care how I do as it's just for fun, but I don't want to injure myself or be unable to make it through, even if I'm mostly just hiking. The start/finish is at Batawa Ski Hill and apparently the 7.5k loop climbs the ski hill twice per lap, so it's not going to be a cakewalk!

Quote | Reply
I got in two great rides outdoors over the weekend. Unusually nice warm weather for my part of the country and I was able to take advantage of it. I also took care of Christmas shopping - for my family - we are celebrating this weekend since my parents are going to warmer weather for the winter (the WHOLE winter) instead of coming back for Christmas.

My left hamstring (Tightness, tendinitis) is still saying "no" to running, this makes me pretty sad.

The time change also makes me sad - it's now pitch black when I get home from work. I don't get depression, but it's a bummer for sure. On the plus side, it makes me go to the pool more since it's very brightly lit there, and usually warm air on deck.
Been doing my PT exercises.

This week - swim, ride, see if I can get to the gym for elliptical, and PT exercises. "Christmas" this weekend and CX race on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I just saw the results and it was actually 3 PBs :-) decided to scrap the ride this week and rest the legs for Sat. Bigger (Olympic) ice surface means can race a faster (wider) track (we call it the speed track) so maybe a few more??? :-) AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 7 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any update on the odd taste thingy?

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool! Why is a wider track faster?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's improving?? I was not sure. But today I didn't notice anything that was weird. I thought to myself, hmmmm... is it gone???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's counterintuitive - you'd think the tighter to the markers, the faster right? But it takes a LOT of energy to skate a really tight track and it's hard to do it at top speed. When you have a bit more space at the entry and exits you can still skate tight at the apex but take a wider in and out, which you can hold at a higher speed for longer.

World cup ST racing is on this weekend in SLC - you can watch some of it live on the ISU channel: http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/...k%20Speed%20Skating/

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[Whoops, wrong date!]

Last edited by: SoCalTricurious: Nov 29, 16 16:02
Quote Reply