Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Wisconsin 70.3
Quote | Reply
Just registered for Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 in June 2017 - Anyone know what the course will be and any suggestions on lodging and restaurant for me and family?

(In case you are wondering, I registered through Ironman TriClub membership)
Last edited by: Mike J: Oct 19, 16 18:08
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [Mike J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming permits/etc come through again, here is what is was last year:
http://wisconsinmilkman.com/course/

For hotels, the Sheraton and Holiday Inn on John Nolen are ground zero for the race, but not really walkable to Madison's to-dos. Something on the square, or just off like the Hyatt on west Washington or the Hampton inn on Johnson/Bassett are probably good bets.

For food, just kind of depends on what your jam is. Food scene in Madison punches above it's weight for a city it's size. Tons of great options downtown or on Williamson (Willy) street.
Last edited by: MadTownTRI: Oct 19, 16 20:12
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
General registration is now open.
$275 now, but will go up to $300 in a week.
Think this will be a quick sell out?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [Blmgtnbkr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blmgtnbkr wrote:

We shall see. Huge numbers for a first year event. Doesn't get anybetter as you can draw from Minneapolis, Des Moines, Chicago and Milwaukee.I bet it sells out, question is when.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
w ww w aa a I I ttt wwh a a a a a at t www aaa s ss s s the qq u e ss t t I oo nn ?

just giving you a feel for the bike course
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Blmgtnbkr wrote:

We shall see. Huge numbers for a first year event. Doesn't get anybetter as you can draw from Minneapolis, Des Moines, Chicago and Milwaukee.I bet it sells out, question is when.

I like that you added Des Moines to that list. The suburb I live in has more people than Des Moines. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
w ww w aa a I I ttt wwh a a a a a at t www aaa s ss s s the qq u e ss t t I oo nn ?

just giving you a feel for the bike course

So true from what I heard. I wouldn't consider it unless they change it, and I live here. Hopefully they have also changed the 10 year age groups.......
Last edited by: ggeiger: Oct 25, 16 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course will mostly be the same as the Milkman course with a few changes that are not confirmed. There will be a different route in and out of town (slightly) and they are working on taking out Lincoln Road (the road where the cyclist was killed last year). All still in the works.

It's a great race (bummed there is no MPRO) and it'll be capped at 2400. The same guys who started the event will be in charge of running it, so you can bet they will do a great job.

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up.

Can't pass up a good race so close to home.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Blmgtnbkr wrote:

I like that you added Des Moines to that list. The suburb I live in has more people than Des Moines. :-)

Don't let its placement in the sequence fool you, it barely made my thoughts, and I only added it to be fair as a neighboring state... Des Moines, the only city where there are more Dimonds than bike riders.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [Blakebecker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your post makes it sound like an athlete was killed during the event, which was not the case. just clarifying

Lincoln was one of the better roads on the course, at least in the relay without a gazillion folks around you
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pardon the grammar, I was a "science guy." That hit and run was well known around the midwest, so I didn't think it was a big deal.

During the race the road (Lincoln) was too congested with cars and bike in both directions. I actually had to ride in the oncoming traffic lane on the way back because of cars. There is one section where i was riding in the oncoming lane going 40mph. Bikes going out against me and a stream of cars coming against me on the right. Of course had I just been able to sit on TG's wheel at this one it would have been easier... or he on mine more like it ;)

In training it was worse. It's a major cut through road with a 55mph limit in places and no shoulder. The sun is also blinding at dusk and dawn. It's a road to stay off.

Hwy A south of Oregon will be much nicer if it's approved.

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Last edited by: Blakebecker: Oct 25, 16 8:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its sold out!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [Blmgtnbkr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I planned on doing this race just got busy and didn't take the time to sign up... thinking of doing a charity spot. Heard great things about milkman... and love Madison... Would you all recommend this race over doing Racine in July?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [Triathlete1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlete1031 wrote:
I planned on doing this race just got busy and didn't take the time to sign up... thinking of doing a charity spot. Heard great things about milkman... and love Madison... Would you all recommend this race over doing Racine in July?

I really like both races. I am from Madison, but my mom's family is from Racine and we go right by 2 of my Aunt's houses and 2020 on Main Street where my Grandparents lived and I remember sitting on the curb as a kid watching the Racine 4th of July parade. Obviously I am quite nostalgic to both. The bike course is a little rough at Racine but the run is really nice and the swim in unbelievable. Obviously Madison is one heck of a town, so you have that going for you. The run is awesome too!!! The bike is nice and challenging, but Lake Monona in the middle of summer doesn't hold a candle to Lake Michigan.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [Triathlete1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also like both courses.

Lake Monona is a much easier swim except for the weeds in the shallow areas and swimming straight into the sun before the first turn. I'm guessing the high weeds were unusual due to the heat wave last year. Be prepared for inclimate weather for either. I wasn't prepared for the heat at milkman and suffered greatly on the run (only time I've had to walk in a race). On the plus side, the race was well organized and prepared for this. There was plenty of fluid, ice, etc. that got me to the end. The run is pretty flat. There's much more stuff to do in Madison.

Racine had it's own weather issues last year too (cancelled swim, shortened course due to T-storms). It's the midwest so weather can turn on a dime. I don't think the bike course is as rough as some people say (it's only in the beginning and end), but I live in Chicagoland and I'm used to crappy roads. There's not much to do around Racine.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm reviving this thread from last year in hopes of getting some advice about Wisconsin 70.3. It's coming up in three weeks and it will be my first half. For those of you who have raced it (or Milkman), I'd appreciate it if you could share your experience, thoughts, or advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
I'm reviving this thread from last year in hopes of getting some advice about Wisconsin 70.3. It's coming up in three weeks and it will be my first half. For those of you who have raced it (or Milkman), I'd appreciate it if you could share your experience, thoughts, or advice.

Like Kona only hotter.

I tend to handle heat pretty well but I really melted that day. I was out of shape to begin with and being early in the year there was no warm weather leading up to it. It was the most I've ever struggled with the heat in a race.

Other than that, it was a great race. Challenging course and first rate organization.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both Milkman AND the inaugural Wisconsin 70.3 were the hottest days of the year to date that year (I don't know if that is an exact fact, but it sure felt like it). An early June race in the Midwest is tough because people are coming off a mild spring into a potentially really hot day. Racing in the mid 80's in August is different than getting hit with those temps in early June because you are not adapted to it yet. The point being, is the past two years, the heat crushed peoples dreams. My advice for this race is prepare yourself for the heat with some heat adaptation over the next two weeks. If you do, you will have a leg up on your competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is hot stay ahead of the heat. Drink and eat before you are thirsty/hungry. Will you be on the run course during the hottest part of the day? If so, be thinking about your plan. Will you run/walk or run and walk the aid stations?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode it last weekend with my club. Roads are actually in really good shape, 10 miles or so recently paved tarmac made that made for heavenly riding, majority of miles were serviceable, and only 5-10 miles of pure sh*t roads. Hilly as ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they dumped some fresh pea gravel on part of the beginning of it. not sure how much as I was going to ride some lake farm loops tues night but found fresh gravel on Larson and goodland park road. I did not ride on it to see if Lalor was done as well or not, but other roads in the area were
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any advice for spectator parking downtown or is the Alliant Energy Center parking and shuttle the best option for the day?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 70.3 [Scottyren] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottyren wrote:
Anyone have any advice for spectator parking downtown or is the Alliant Energy Center parking and shuttle the best option for the day?

It's unlikely you'd want to park downtown as it's a pretty substantial walk from downtown to the race venue. Alliant Center or the neighborhoods are the best choice and much closer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next