Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How to make a TT saddle stickier
Quote | Reply
I am trying to improve the tack on my saddle to eliminate any slipping and was wondering if anyone had a solution for that? Is there any aftermarket tape or some trick to make you saddle stickier without damaging bib shorts? I know some pro cyclist use grip tape and just don't care if they shred their bibs so trying to figure out some alternative.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make a TT saddle stickier [severinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
um, ask Tony Martin about how much fun grip tape is... so ya, good idea to find something different.

Last edited by: tfleeger: Oct 20, 16 7:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why?

couple options....

accept that you slide forward and ride that way or
move saddle back so you ride nose and cant slide forward cuz there is nowhere to slide
adjust position to eliminate sliding

stickier saddle is not the solution
Quote Reply
Re: How to make a TT saddle stickier [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not what I'm looking for as I have my saddle in a good spot for my nether regions. There has to be some twin stick material 3m type material that has slightly more friction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recommendation would be to give the following Stickum Spray a try. I looked for some in Cozumel because it was so humid I found that I couldn't really hold on to the aerobars and wanted to use it to enhance grip on bar tape. I have no idea what it will do to clothes

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Oct 20, 16 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: How to make a TT saddle stickier [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. So no experience with the residue or use whatsoever? I'll look into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think that the extra friction will cause your shorts to rip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently got a pair of Compressport tri shorts that seem to have a sticky surface on the outside of the pad. I haven't ridden with it yet, but it sounds like what you'd be looking for - something to increase grip between saddle and shorts.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: How to make a TT saddle stickier [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting... maybe cannibalizing a chamois for the silicone and then twin sticking it on would be worth trying too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Fizik Extra Grip, which helps a little:

https://www.amazon.com/..._product_top?ie=UTF8

Lowering the seat just a little might help too, although I've never been able to fix my type-writering completely.

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to make a TT saddle stickier [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
um, ask Tony Martin about how much fun grip tape is... so ya, good idea to find something different.

Still do not understand why he did not just put the grip tape on his skin suit, I am sure he gets a good discount on saddles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
severinj wrote:
Interesting. So no experience with the residue or use whatsoever? I'll look into it.

Not sure what the residue would be like on clothes but this is what wide-receivers in the NFL and NCAA use to catch passes. Effectively cheating IMO. If you do use it on the saddle, I would be interested in hearing feedback down the line for that purpose.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I'm curious. I'll let you know if I try it.
By the way, your 10$ sunglasses article is AWESOME.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make a TT saddle stickier [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
tfleeger wrote:

Still do not understand why he did not just put the grip tape on his skin suit, I am sure he gets a good discount on saddles.[/quote

I think because you get better and more exact placement on the saddle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw this on another forum- another interesting thing to test

"cut up two small sections of inner tube and slide it over the prongs, use a hair dryer if needed. If you want to go nuts then get some sandpaper and roughen the inner tube as well. I think this might have been enough to solve the problem but I went further and super glued bits of inner tube strategically all over the saddle.

I'm now rock solid on the saddle, in fact to change position I've now got to 'unlock' myself off the rubber(butyl) then move."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They(3m?) make a rubberised electrical tape. Usually called splicing tape. It's electrical tape, but it's thick, and rubbery... maybe a few wraps of that around the saddle nose would help. The rubbery aspect being the value.... you can get it at any hardware store.
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure Martin was injured before that ride.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to make a TT saddle stickier [777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I thought there might be something like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This horse saddle coating might be worth trying too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used KT tape as I had it lying around. Just enough grip but also Allows me to change up too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hallie Fredericksen uses what looks like clear wetsuit cement on her saddle:

Personally, I use a couple of "bands" of silicone "rescue tape" to add some grip to my dash (really helped w/deltoid fatigue):

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, my work on this planet is now done, my invention has been used and quoted, should have trademarked it. I posted that over a year ago to cure the 'typewriter' on my Adamo and super slippery skin suit. It works a treat and over a year later it still works and has a bonus has caused no damage to my bike shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make a TT saddle stickier [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duh! Brilliant. I'll try this today. I tried some weak 3M twin stick foam and it was awesome but slightly too much tack. My next tests are KT and the butyl strips.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make a TT saddle stickier [chrisw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any chance you can post some pictures or email me some?
Quote Reply
Re: How to make a TT saddle stickier [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with this. Lower your saddle!

Zoot Team Captain Southeast
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Gatorade Endurance, Ottolock, Theragun, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, boco gear, Giddy Up Multisports
Quote Reply

Prev Next