Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another 'help me pick a disc' thread.
Quote | Reply
So I'm shopping for a new disc and I've narrowed it down to

Hed Jet +
I've owned a C2 Jet disc and while it was easy to live with I was always worried about damaging the skin as it didn't feel too robust.

Shimano Pro clincher.
I've owned a Textreme disc in the past which I liked bit unfortunately doesn't fit my current frame. Apparently the clincher has a similar solid feel to the Textreme disc.

Reynolds Element clincher disc.
Don't know much about this but it's on the cheaper side for a full carbon disc. A carbon brake track is a plus as it will make swapping from my other wheels a bit easier. My last disc was a Jet with an alloy brake track and it was a bit of a pain having to swap pads as well every time I wanted to use my disc so carbon brake surface is a plus in this regard.

Those 3 are all a similar price for me at the moment so any pros or cons for the above would be great.

The other one I've been looking at is the Dash Cycles Gretchen clincher which ticks all the boxes for what I want but is a fair bit more money and I don't know anyone that's actually used one to give some real world feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Another 'help me pick a disc' thread. [TheFisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any reason you don't plan on considering the Flo Carbon Disc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What frame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheFisher wrote:

Hed Jet +
I've owned a C2 Jet disc and while it was easy to live with I was always worried about damaging the skin as it didn't feel too robust.

Shimano Pro clincher.
I've owned a Textreme disc in the past which I liked bit unfortunately doesn't fit my current frame. Apparently the clincher has a similar solid feel to the Textreme disc.

Don't know much about this but it's on the cheaper side for a full carbon disc. A carbon brake track is a plus as it will make swapping from my other wheels a bit easier. My last disc was a Jet with an alloy brake track and it was a bit of a pain having to swap pads as well every time I wanted to use my disc so carbon brake surface is a plus in this regard.

Those 3 are all a similar price for me at the moment so any pros or cons for the above would be great.

The other one I've been looking at is the Dash Cycles Gretchen clincher which ticks all the boxes for what I want but is a fair bit more money and I don't know anyone that's actually used one to give some real world feedback.

It may not be on your list, but for anyone else reading this and considering disks I can't say enough good things about my Renn 5IVE-5IVE-5IVE.

His old wheels may have had some flex issues but I've had zero problems with the new model. Also, I emailed the owner about a small issue I had on a Saturday and he got back to me within 5 minutes and cleared everything up well beyond what I expected. Amazing customer service.

Edit: almost forgot the best part! The price is right- Starts at $795

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Oct 14, 16 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: Another 'help me pick a disc' thread. [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
TheFisher wrote:

Hed Jet +

Shimano Pro clincher.

It may not be on your list, but for anyone else reading this and considering disks I can't say enough good things about my Renn 5IVE-5IVE-5IVE.

His old wheels may have had some flex issues but I've had zero problems with the new model. Also, I emailed the owner about a small issue I had on a Saturday and he got back to me within 5 minutes and cleared everything up well beyond what I expected. Amazing customer service.

Edit: almost forgot the best part! The price is right- Starts at $795

+1 on Renn. A flat disc (like the Renn or Zipp Super9) will be fastest for a traditional frame, while a lenticular disc (Jet, FLO, Wheelcover) will be better with a beam bike (Dimond, Zipp, Titanflex) that lacks a seattube.

Personally, I have an older Renn 575 disc. I'm 180 and an FOP biker and never had flex issues (Renn did make some ultralight discs years ago [ex. the Kaiser Disc] that some said were flexy).

I'd recommend getting a used disc (I think I paid <$300 for my Renn years ago). Since they are race-only wheels the mileage on them is typically very low, so you get a virtually new wheel for a great price. Check out the ST Classifieds.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Another 'help me pick a disc' thread. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another happy Renn Disc owner. Bonus, weight is around 1100 grams!
Quote Reply
Re: Another 'help me pick a disc' thread. [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
What frame?

Current 9 Series speed concept.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Jet+ disc in mine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheFisher wrote:

Hed Jet +

Shimano Pro clincher.

If you believe all the info JoshAtSilca put out regarding width of the rim and implications, I would probably go with the Jet+ disc. I have one and have also ridden the Super9 as well. For me, the Super 9 doesn't work in my frame and it is too wide and rubs the derailleur cage. As for having an Aluminum rear, what is wrong with having an aluminum? It is going to brake much better than carbon, it is going to dissipate heat much better than carbon.

If it is because you already invested in a carbon rear wheel training wheel, then I might suggest get a rear aluminum training wheel as well. A Jet+ 6 or Jet+ 9 would be perfect. Frankly, anytime you have different wheel you likely have to change brake pad adjustment as well. Right now I have a bunch of sets of wheels I am riding and when I swap out I have to change the width anyway. The Jet+ are all the same widths so once you moved over pads you wouldn't have to anything on race day.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Another 'help me pick a disc' thread. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only small issue with an alloy brake track is having to swap pads as well as adjusting brakes as most of the wheels I use on my TT bike are carbon. It's not a deal breaker, just mildly annoying.

Like you said the other option is to get a set of Jets which would make wheel changes super easy but that's a bit more than I'd like to spend at the moment, especially considering I'm quite fond of my PD24s.
Last edited by: TheFisher: Oct 15, 16 18:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheFisher wrote:
The only small issue with an alloy brake track is having to swap pads as well as adjusting brakes as most of the wheels I use on my TT bike are carbon. It's not a deal breaker, just mildly annoying.

Like you said the other option is to get a set of Jets which would make wheel changes super easy but that's a bit more than I'd like to spend at the moment, especially considering I'm quite fond of my PD24s.

I hear you on that. Personally, I have been using the carbon pads on the HED Jet+ rim. The only black rim I have is the Disc and it has so much stopping power that a non-optimal brake pad helps out a bit as it is super easy to lock up the back black rim. I do check the pads to make sure there are no metal shavings before swapping over to any carbon rims.

As for the JET+ in general. I will say they are great wheel. Have no experience with the PD24s

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our current wheel has a 24mm wide rim now.

Thanks, Frank
Renn Multisport
Last edited by: Frank Rehnelt: Oct 18, 16 9:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you committed to clinchers? The Lightweight disc can be found and is used by many pros and re-badged.
Quote Reply