Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Got fit; YES diggin it... NEW FIT!!
Quote | Reply
So... I got fit eons ago on my road bike and the fitter nailed it. I'm completely comfortable, efficient on the bike, etc. My TT bike was casually fitted a few years ago and it was good enough, but it was always on my radar to get professionally fit. So, I finally decided to get in with my LBS and we did a solid 90min+ fitting and LOTS of changes were made to my fit.

Pre-fit, I could semi-comfortably log 5 hours on the TT, even though I knew it was not a perfect fit. Post-fit, I can't even lay down 25 miles without getting out of my seat, out of my aerobars, and it just isn't comfortable. Add to that, I feel like a parachute.

So, I started tweaking the seat angle, the bars, etc myself and it isn't helping. Then, I started just looking at my bike and realized that my front end is way high (fitter flipped the stem and put in spacers). I don't know anymore. Part of me wants to go back to LBS and have them fix my fit, but they didn't get it right the first time (guy claimed to be good at tri-fitting)..... Then I started looking beyond my local area for fitters and am thinking a day trip to LA or SF for a fitting by the big boys. But, if I'm going to commit an entire day for a drive there and back plus the fitting, I figured I might just ask y'all for help and advice.

1. Anybody know a fitter regionally close to San Luis Obispo, CA who knows how to fit TT bikes? Or, if I do a day trip to the big city, where and who?

2. Anything I can do now to get back on the TT Bike? I don't even want to do my TrainerRoad sessions anymore - I used to be religious with that.

About me...

F/MOP, strongest on the swim, second strongest on the bike, I lose it on the run
Been at this since 1992, but nothing amazing. Just an AGer.

Pre-Fit Photo (seat angle was not normal in this picture; I had just swapped seats and hadn't tweaked)... Sorry about bad angle....

Post-Fit Photo:

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Last edited by: SLOgoing: Oct 13, 16 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: Got fit; not diggin it... [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're willing to drive up to San Fran, go see this guy: http://fittedbypedro.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim Manton at Ero

He is the best I have found...great fit, direct, amazing stories. He is your guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you go to the big city - Ian Murray (aka ianpeace on the board here).

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recommendations!

Question... If I don't have the dough to spring for a new bike (but can afford a good fitting session), will these folks get me the best I can on the bike I have? I don't think the frame is too big or too small for me, but I don't want the take away from the session to be, "you need a different bike..." Unless they are willing to barter (which is how I got what I have).

Meh?

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your post fit picture looks less aero than you would be on a road bike. Of course, eyeball aero predictions can be notoriously bad.

I would be reluctant to go back to someone who set me up like that but I would also be pissed to walk away from the money spent on the fit.

Perhaps one return visit to explain your concerns/issues and if not satisfied look elsewhere.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Got fit; not diggin it... [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
Your post fit picture looks less aero than you would be on a road bike. Of course, eyeball aero predictions can be notoriously bad.

And I feel like a parachute! Seriously, my jersey puffed when I was aero and had a headwind on my last ride.

wannabefaster wrote:
I would be reluctant to go back to someone who set me up like that but I would also be pissed to walk away from the money spent on the fit.

Yes. I'm there. $250 for feeling like I'm on a beach cruiser.... Love my LBS folks, but damnit.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why so many people don't pay for a "fit". A really good fitter is hard to find and the average schmoe doesn't know how to find him/her.
Quote Reply
Re: Got fit; not diggin it... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
This is why so many people don't pay for a "fit". A really good fitter is hard to find and the average schmoe doesn't know how to find him/her.

Indeed. I'm barely above the average schmoe and live in a geographically impossible area... Which is why I went 5ish years without pulling the trigger. "How bad could a LBS fit be?" Well... Arg.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Re: Got fit; not diggin it... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont consider my self any were near an expert on this but Ive never seen arm rests higher than the saddle. I know people differ but thats just wierd. What are your measurments? Ive got a transition pro dedicated to my trainer. If your measurements are close to mine , I could send you my fit numbers you could use them as a starting point.
Quote Reply
Re: Got fit; not diggin it... [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
I dont consider my self any were near an expert on this but Ive never seen arm rests higher than the saddle. I know people differ but thats just wierd. What are your measurments? Ive got a transition pro dedicated to my trainer. If your measurements are close to mine , I could send you my fit numbers you could use them as a starting point.

I think that is the 2nd pic playing a trick on you perspective wise. Notice that for that pic the bike is on a riser block so it definitely looks like the arm pads are higher than the seat. But if you level both wheels out will it look different? Not sure but I suspect the pad are level with the seat instead. Could be wrong but it is hard to judge depth from a pic.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Sep 23, 16 11:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations!

Question... If I don't have the dough to spring for a new bike (but can afford a good fitting session), will these folks get me the best I can on the bike I have? I don't think the frame is too big or too small for me, but I don't want the take away from the session to be, "you need a different bike..." Unless they are willing to barter (which is how I got what I have).

Meh?

X 2 for Jim Manton and ERO (I've also gone to Ian and have no complaints, I've just been using Jim for the last couple years as he's 15 minutes away, and there are also other ERO fitters trained by Jim). To answer your question, yes within reason. I originally went in on a Planet X that was not ideal and we got it to work OK for an IM distance. I asked him if he had ever had anyone he could not fit on their present bike, and he had had one client who was sold a VERY expensive bike that he could not get to work. He was pretty unhappy with the LBS for selling that bike to her. He doesn't sell anything so he doesn't steer you to spend more $ on something he is selling (nor does Ian). In fact I've had one fitting and then 3 or so followups over the last two years, even though I always offer and try to pay he hasn't charged me for a followup

Based on my fit, i had him give me a list of frames that would work. His list was very specific (i.e. a 2014 P2 but not a 2013 [just an example]). Ended up on a BMC TM02 that i love.

I had him fit me to the BMC then went back this year as I had changed saddles and needed a bit of a tuneup. He moved me around a bit, but I have to go back in a week or so as i'm getting some low back pain. But that's the thing, he really works with you to get a fit that works for you, even if it doesn't match up to the geometry that is "ideal". Coming from SLO is tough (just drove that Tuesday) so follow up may be difficult but I can't say enough good things about ERO and Jim.

And you will get stories.... :)

ETA - yeah, pics aren't always accurate but you not only appear to have no drop, you have a rise. No wonder it feels like a parachute
Last edited by: ChrisM: Sep 23, 16 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: Got fit; not diggin it... [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:

I think that is the 2nd pic playing a trick on you perspective wise. Notice that for that pic the bike is on a riser block so it definitely looks like the arm pads are higher than the seat. But if you level both wheels out will it look different? Not sure but I suspect the pad are level with the seat instead. Could be wrong but it is hard to judge depth from a pic.
Ya I see that now, still odd though , that saddle was lowered at least 1 1/2 inches from the pre fit pics. Im pretty avreage size (5'11") inseam 87ish. My saddle is is more like the pre pic maybe a few cm higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post a vid of you on the trainer? That will help us give recommendations. Ideally two vids, one with the pre-fit coordinates, and one with the current steup

Looking at the two bike pics, it looks like they lowered the saddle a HUGE amount. Combine that with raising the front end and you have a radically different position.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No video needed here. Go see Jim M. at ERO. He can straighten all out.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Got fit; not diggin it... [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
loxx0050 wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:

Ya I see that now, still odd though , that saddle was lowered at least 1 1/2 inches from the pre fit pics. Im pretty avreage size (5'11") inseam 87ish. My saddle is is more like the pre pic maybe a few cm higher.

The pads are higher than the seat, and the saddle is seriously nosed down.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Got fit; not diggin it... [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is so helpful. I probably will put up a vid. I won't be able to get to the city for a few weeks and I need to do something. I've stopped riding this bike! My PMC is getting ugly.

The seat was lowered a ton. I felt high on it before. I'm 5'9" and the bike is 54cm. It feels better lower but I'm very uncomfortable in the saddle (flat or down pointed) and I find that the pads aren't forward enough. My elbow tips end up on the pads and my finger tips flap in the wind in front of the levers.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Last edited by: SLOgoing: Sep 23, 16 12:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:
loxx0050 wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:

The pads are higher than the seat, and the saddle is seriously nosed down.

The front wheel is also a good 3 inches higher than the rear wheel.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. So... I'm going to the big city to get fit... Thank you for all the recommendations (and PMs on the local low-down!). I'll try to piggyback off a business trip, so that will probably determine if I go north or south.

In the meantime, here are my measurements (cm):

Height 169
Inseam 82
Trunk 61
Forearm 36
Arm 65
Thigh 57
Lower Leg 53
Sternal Notch 141

I had gone onto some online bike fit calculator a few days ago out of desperation, but never did anything with it because I wasn't sure if I could trust it. My road bike has clamp on aero bars and my aero bar drop is 6.1cm so I can't imagine why my TT bike would be a rise.

I didn't measure my bike pre-fit and I don't know if I saved the measurements I took forever ago. But, I'm tempted to plug my numbers into some online calculator and just go with math fit until I can get to the city for a real fitting. I have some travel mid-week next week, a big project the week after, and then a deadline on Oct 15th. So, I'm probably a month away from a fitter. Sadness. But, what the hell? What I have isn't working and I want to keep pedaling.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim and the guys at ERO have an online reservation system and it can get filled up (but you should be OK a month out) if you end up coming south and going to him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you post a vid the ST cognoscenti can probably get you close. We're not a substitute for a good fitter, but are much better than a bad one ;).

In the mean time, I'd recommend that you do the following:

1. Flip the stem back.

2. Duplicate the saddle position on your road bike.

2b. If your reach to the pads is too long, move the saddle forward in 1cm increments (and up a touch to keep the saddle-to-BB distance constant). Until the reach is OK. It's not perfect, but should hopefully get you rideable in the interim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You paid $250 for a fit. Get in a few rides and then schedule a follow-up appointment, which should be included in the price, to discuss specific concerns you have (and be as specific as possible in your feedback). Any real fitter is going to have some investment in getting your fit right, including word of mouth to other potential clients. I would take the arm chair fit advice you get on a forum like this with a pretty large grain of salt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the $5 dollar app to fit my TT bike. You know your saddle height in mm (it's either tattooed on your body somewhere or locked in your wall safe). Then it's back flat, elbows at 90 degrees, etc.Then start riding and making minor tweaks for whatever doesn't feel perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay. Here is the video. And no, I don't normally pedal with the cat box... had to relocate for video. I also reset the seat to be flat - I had dropped the nose out of desperation on my last outdoor ride (it was either do something or pedal standing up the last 8 miles).

The riser has the front wheel the same height off the ground as the rear - 15" on both (to axle).

Also, I got fit 4 weeks ago today and have logged 7 outdoor rides totaling 283 miles and 11 indoor rides (TrainerRoad) for 12 hours and 30 minutes. I figured it would take time for me to adjust to my new fit and this morning I just went a little postal during my TrainerRoad session. BTW, I can usually clock 1:15 on 40k flat Oly, so that's my standard. It hasn't been happening since the fit (I used to come close on Highway 1 training rides along the coast).

Okay. Let'er rip.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Ok I know this Is not what you want to hear but I would ask for my $250 back. That shop does not know what they are doing. That front end is just awful

Like with a swim stroke I've never been very good at advice as to how to fix something so hopefully folks here will have good input.
Quote Reply

Prev Next