Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek Vapor Coat
Quote | Reply
I'm on the verge of buying a Trek SC. I'm looking at the color options and am intrigued by the vapor coat. It seems like a lot of extra money ($1,000) to lose a few grams of weight. I'm also not crazy about the warning that the raw carbon may be visible. Does anyone have experience with this? What does it look like? It seems like it has a matte type finish (which is what I'm after), but it's hard to tell from the website. How much raw carbon is visible? My dealer doesn't have any examples.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Vapor Coat [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
I'm on the verge of buying a Trek SC. I'm looking at the color options and am intrigued by the vapor coat. It seems like a lot of extra money ($1,000) to lose a few grams of weight. I'm also not crazy about the warning that the raw carbon may be visible. Does anyone have experience with this? What does it look like? It seems like it has a matte type finish (which is what I'm after), but it's hard to tell from the website. How much raw carbon is visible? My dealer doesn't have any examples.

How much weight does it save?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Vapor Coat [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dealer says 45 grams....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are sooooo many other places you can save 45g for much less then $1k.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Vapor Coat [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I wouldn't do it for the weight. Hell, I'd go on a diet before I shelled out the money for that. What I can't determine is what it looks like. It looks pretty cool on the website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have vapor coat on my SC. It smudges super easy. It looks sick but, if I had to do it again, I'd go with gloss clear coat.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Vapor Coat [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That video shows it pretty well, smudges and all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a vapor coat 2015 SC. When it was stolen I replaced it with a 2016 with conventional paint in a Project One paint scheme. The insurance settlement would have paid for another vapor coat but I chose conventional paint for the reasons discussed above. Carl Matson provided the "official" weight savings for the vapor coat somewhere in the Speed Concept thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The actual finish smudges? Or it shows smudges like fingerprints / etc?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Vapor Coat [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one smudge on my frame that simply will not go away. A friend of my dad's bought a matte BMW a few years ago, took the car to get washed, and permanently had smudges everywhere. Apparently the "smudge" is actually the paint being polished. I'd imagine the vapor coat reacts similarly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. My Madone is matte and yes you have to be careful. You can't repair matte!

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend with the matte finish on his new Trek. It is a grease magnet and seems to hold in the stains. Not my bike, but I would not get the matte finish

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply