Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Sept. 19 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 19 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals this week: it's my last week home, as I fly out next Monday. So, enjoy it :-) had a really good week, especially with some family things --- Friday night we went to dinner at the local brewery (they do pizza in an outdoor oven), Saturday we went to Mt. Desert Island, and yesterday we just hung out. I got my dad to join me for a little bit of a bike ride! schoolwork goals TBA after a mtg with advisor today. I got an acceptable amount done and I'm happy here

M: 7.5 mi run + 1800 yd swim
T: 10 mi run (5.3 @ 7:19 pace) + 0:30 stairmaster
W: 8 mi run + 3350 yd swim
T: 33.1 mi bike
F: 11.18 mi run + 1050 yd swim
S: 6.5 mi run + 8 mi bike + 4.4 mi hike (Cadillac Mountain)
S: 11.5 mi run w/ 1 mi 6:40 and some other speed + 8 mi bike

I'm at the airport ready to fly back to school. The last thing I did at home this morning was ride my bike :-) the one I have in Maine fits better and is a bit more comfy (don't tell the Oregon bike). Dad and I stopped at the beach on the way here which was really nice.

Goals this week: swim 3x, ride at least 3x (one of them checking out the bike paths so I can avoid CARS), finish drafts of job application stuff for Place #1 (I'm probably not going to say what universities I'm applying to), no bingeing :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks as always for getting us started, tigerchik!

The race went well – I swam my best swim (!) and had a solid bike and DNF’ed as gracefully as I could. I even walked in and out of the ocean swim start/finish and walked my transitions. Being a grownup is hard but it was the right decision. And seeing lots of friends on a very beautiful course took the sting out of my first DNF.

Got all my goals last week.

<quote>My week is pretty normal: daily correctives and p/rehab plus a little more elliptical each time, 3 swims, 2 bikes, 2 yoga sessions. </quote>

This week I’m planning 4 swims, including a local ocean relay, 3 bikes, 2 yoga classes and my daily correctives and p/rehab. I *think* I’m going to get cleared to run this week but I’m not certain. Cross your fingers for me. Today marks 3 months and I miss it so much. I asked a question in the main forum about coming back (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread) but if you all have insights about when/how far I should think about racing again, let me know!

I hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 19 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the PR swim - and on sticking to your plans to just do the swim and the bike. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks tigerchik! My race split was 29:01 which includes more than the actual swimming part (the walking entrance/exit into the ocean) so I met my 1500M goal to be in the 28s and I am very happy.

This was an ocean swim with a run-in, run-out and my time was still almost 3 minutes faster than my other Oly (an in-water lake start). That's been the silver lining of this running injury, lots and lots of swimming!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week kinda went off the rails a bit as we decided to get out of town for the weekend... but worth it! We found crabapples growing wild beside a trail and harvested about 15lbs of them :-)

Last week's plan:
- Run 3x, 4 would be a bonus but won't push it. - DONE and just barely 3 - but the last one was a solid 80min. I'm good. It's all I can do now.
- Ride once, maybe twice (skating & kid's sked will make it tough to do more this week) - FAIL but expected
- Skate 6x (2 inline, 4 on ice) - FAIL - but for a good reason I think, we decided to go to the Okanagan for the weekend so that meant 2 skates missed, and the zamboni was out of service on the 3rd. In retrospect it was ok, the only skate on-ice I did get in kinda over did my calf a bit (lots of one legged drills) so the rest was probably a good thing.
- Physio 1x & exercises every day I don't "run" - DONE

This week: RACING WEEK
- Inline 3x - one of which will be the Berlin inline skate marathon on Sat (expecting ~2:30 to finish, just want to enjoy it)
- Run 3x - one of which will be the Berlin marathon on Sunday (honestly expecting a 5hr slog fest, but I'm aiming for upright & smiling if I do start - I may elect to DNS this but will have to see how Sat goes).
- Ride 1x - we fly out late on Wed and I am off work all that day so I am going to go for a nice ~2-3hr ride on my pretty new bike and enjoy the fall sunshine. :-)
- Stretch, roll, heat, etc. every day.

I may or may not post next week, it will depend on the internets and the $$$ to use them :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 19 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck AndyPants!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 19 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! And glad you stuck to your plan.

Last week... Hamstrings have been very very tight. Took M&T off since I did a XC 13.1 race the Sat before and did a solid swim on Sun. Hobbled through a 4mi run on Wed. Got back on track Thu with a morning bike in the trainer 1:15 and lunch swim of 1,500SCY (was pinched for time). Fri had a great trail run that I normally do in 55-58 min but this time did it in 54:12. Sat... Well, let's just say it was "marriage training day" which was good. Sun did 38.8mi on the TT bike at an ok pace for the terrain.

Trying to get this week back on track. So far so good but had to cut today's swim because I didn't have time to get my full workout in. Hamstrings feel better but still tight. Have a 10k fun run on Sunday... Another free race courtesy of my employer (race sponsor). Maybe I need to back off on the races, but I just have a hard time saying no to free race fees!

Oh. And I got a new practice swim suit this week. Good thing, too. The old was a bit revealing. Oh! And I got 2 new pairs of shoes - my usuals and a new pair that I'm going to see how they work for me. I had 20% off so I went for it + 2 new pairs of socks (damn those are $$$$$) plus quick laces for each new pair of shoes.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 19 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a fantastic trip. I can't wait to hear about it!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 19 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Maybe I need to back off on the races, but I just have a hard time saying no to free race fees!

I think as long as you're enjoying them there's no problem with it. I've had an experience of over-racing. My senior year of college, I ran just about every race around for no real reason aside from the fact that I could. You know those pre-race jitters - the excitement mixed with fear? At some point I wasn't getting that anymore, and I didn't feel that sort of sharpness you want when you stand on the start line, nor was I getting the post-race endorphin high. I didn't think too much about it, and fortunately for my body, winter came and race season ended. I think you ought to race as much as you want as long as you have fun doing it. Also, yeah free is awesome :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back from la-la land!

Raced a little women-only not-quite-sprint tri on the 10th, which went ridiculously well considering I've done <500km of cycling all year. Swim was the best I've done in years - no navigation issues, and damn fast (for me). I'd taken my tri bike out for the first time in a year on Thurs evening to make sure all was ok, and it was...until I hopped on at the mount line and discovered my rear derailleur was completely fuct. Had to hold the bar end shifter in place if I wanted anything but the smallest cog, and there are a lot of lumps and bumps on the course that meant I never quite knew what gear I'd be in when I landed. I just hacked along as best I could, actually surprising myself with a faster bike split than I could have imagined...especially in these conditions:

Yep, pissing rain! Ah well - it was the same for everyone. Really shocked myself with my run split: having done nothing but ultra since fall last year, all my training and racing is slow as shit. Imagine my surprise when I ran 3sec/km over my 5k PR pace for the 4k at the end! I haven't run that fast in at least 2 years - crazy. Overall quite pleased with 7/30 in my AG and 30/184 O/A - might very well be my last tri, but it seems like a good one to go out on.

Saturday night: punk show with some absolute legend bands. Sunday: packing all day for next adventure. Monday morning: heartbreak, as we are left with no choice but to take one of our kitties for her last ride. RIP, Tough - you were the sweetest, fluffiest little goofball ever.

Less than an hour later, we were on our way to Kawartha Highlands to soothe our souls with 5 days of backcountry canoeing.

Mist on the water at first light each morning

Fat, bright moons overhead each night

Days on the water moving from place to place, collecting firewood to keep us warm

Portages from lake to lake - we passed through 6 lakes in 5 days

Setting up camp in a different spot each night

Lunch at the foot of a waterfall

The occasional beaver swimming past (we also saw moose, coyote, herons, loons, and tons of chipmunks)

And sunsets.

Extracting back at our insertion point on Friday, we drove half an hour up the road to Silent Lake Provincial Park for another 2 nights of drive-in camping.

We hiked a bit of gorgeous trail on Friday evening to see a beautiful sunset over Silent Lake

We also tarped ourselves in ridiculously well because they were calling for rain all day on Saturday.

I managed to get dinner (grilled pork chops & asparagus with cornbread), dessert (cherry cobbler), and breakfast (sausage, duck egg & cheez biscuit bake) all made on the fire before the rain set in at 10am Saturday morning.

We got out and hiked a couple of lovely trails in the park anyway.

And were back to our campsite when the most torrential downpours came through, keeping the fire going all the way through from Friday evening to Sunday morning.

The rain finally quit around 10pm on Saturday, so we pulled our chairs up by the fire and made s'mores. Packing up on Sunday, the sun finally came out again for the way home.

Arrived home around 7:30pm on Sunday evening, and as of yesterday evening everything has been washed and packed away...for about 2.5 weeks until we go backpacking in October.

This week's goals:
- swim x 1
- bike x 1
- run x 5
- core/strength x 4

I need to get my ass back into ultra shape - have one more 6-hour race on Oct 29th!

Quote | Reply
not bad last week. I didn't run as much as I'd like, got back to a bit more cycling, and raced cx on Sunday. Wound up 2nd in the race, I do believe the gal I was regularly beating last year is now beating me, perhaps as it should be since she's quite a bit younger and last year was only her first year of the sport. I think the switch has come. Last year was my one magical year. Now it's back to being at the pointy end in our small fields, but not probably at the top. But that's OK, I never expected it. It was always a wonderful surprise to find myself having won... and really it was only three or so times last year anyway.

This week I just need to get in the pool. Once.

This is the absolute roughest time of the year for me to swim, because it's still quite nice outdoors and swimming has shifted back to indoors, and indoors is the LAST place I want to be right now because I feel like I need to spend EVERY MINUTE POSSIBLE outside because the cold dark of winter is coming. And I won't WANT to be outside much. Or have the ability to be outside much.
Eating outside, sleeping with the windows open. There's always this 'sigh' this time of year, realizing at some point the windows will close for months. That we will have to wait for spring to open them again. That going outside will mean bundling up rather than just heading out the door. That no daylight after work hours will mean no outdoor cycling. Driving to and from work in the dark.
Though I do like sleeping in flannel PJs and fires in the fireplace and hot soup and chili.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good! New York was awesome; ate too much, drank too much and had lots of fun. Only structured exercise was a spin class at Soul Cycle. Came back from the break absolutely exhausted!

This week - final club race (it was yesterday); FTP test (today, once I quit procrastinating); physio appointment (tomorrow, I might be allowed to run again); a bike tour through Edmonton led by one of my OH's former students (Sunday).

Good luck AP! Hope you have some pretzels and beer while you are there.
Quote Reply