Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough...for what it's worth, rim-based brake tracks are so 2015 anyways.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
I didn't know Andy Coggan's janky AF low speed wind tunnel was capable of outputting such heat maps.

"Janky"? That home built wind tunnel is neither junky nor skanky...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it was the source of Nick's ~2W drag reduction claim on the Omega X, I believe. And the ERO guys found that to understate same by a factor of three. So, in a word: janky.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Yup and that's why I'll (probably) never buy a tri bike with disc brakes. I travel to a lot of races. Unless your disc brake super bike is somehow 30secs/40km faster than my rim brake super bike (good luck, it's not happening) I'm not changing.

Everyone keeps saying this but I have faith in a good engineering team. I think we will be surprised once disc brake tri bikes come out. Instead of sticking our heads in the sand, we should be optimistic and let the data prove it.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a true "best vs. best" comparison though...we haven't seen it so far, so there's no reason to think we'll see it in the future.

Heck...we can't even get anyone to provide actual independent braking performance data on an "apples to apples" basis :-/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If my wind tunnel data are "janky", so are the results of three other wind tunnel tests using complete bicycles.

I will let readers decide whether that is likely to be true, or whether it is Ero's field tests (a notoriously fickle approach, even when testing is performed on an indoor track by experienced individuals...just ask Alex Simmons about his Campy Shamal testing) that are more likely to be in error.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Sep 14, 16 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
If this bike is 5 watts faster than a P5 frameset, that is pretty substantial. If I cant hit 16cm of drop off a 78cm seat height, that is a deal breaker.

5 watts faster than a P5 frameset doesn't mean anything without the devilish details. 5 watts at what speed? With a rider onboard or just a magical bike riding itself in the tunnel? Dimond's data shows a big savings against a P5 (three) and a low end Shiv, but it vanishes when the rider is onboard. TriRig (and Ero) also state that one can save 4-5 watts just by replacing a stock front brake with an Omega X, again, without much detail in terms of speed, power output, etc...TriRig claims that a P2 with their aero bar is faster than a P5, so how much of the Omni performance is related to the bar and not the unconventional frame?

Will be interesting to see what kind of data they put out there. Personally, I've learned that I need to have access to two bottles, one with an energy drink and one that is just water to help me digest, so the aero savings is likely moot on the Omni for me unless it outweighs me stopping to take a drink from the rear mounted hydration :)
Last edited by: chrisgrigsby: Sep 14, 16 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zachboring wrote:
The only real reason to resist discs is the thought of 1000 bikes on a course all squealing their brakes and me having to hear it.

Triathletes as a general population do not understand the word "maintenance". Bent rotors, dirty/oily rotor, dirty pads etc. will be the norm. oh jeez, I'm cringing just thinking about it. Nothing pisses me off more than getting rotor squeal on the tail.

I laugh every time I rinse the dirt off of my "drop bar rigid MTB" (AKA gravel bike) and the disc brakes squeal afterwards. The solution seems to be constantly wiping down the rotors with isopropanol after the rinse...kind of a PITA.

Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Yes, within ten days of owning them (via eBay, only lost $200 luckily... expensive demo lol). I'm on 404 NSWs now and I'm 99% sure this will be my "one wheel set" going forward especially once I get my super-nifty wheel cover from Australia ;) The braking on the NSWs is really really really good. I need to write up a review but I'd say they're as good as my regular aluminum HED Jets in the wet (though I'm not sure if this would change with sustained braking... not a lot of that around here in CFL) and I actually prefer them to aluminum in the dry. Great modulation and, strangely, I think the audio provides feedback that helps in this regard.

Interesting somewhat related side note: when I was younger, I was one of the first people through the doors of the Titleist Performance Institute in Carlsbad. I went once every two months for a few days of observed practice and occasional experimentation. One of the experiments was to hit putts with noise-canceling headphones on (the type that make it so you can't here anything). Surprisingly neither I, nor anyone else they had through the door (world class pros included), was able to tell what type of a ball we were using while putting (the A/B was a super soft Tour Balata and a super hard "distance whatever"). Take the headphones off and we could tell with near 100% accuracy. What we thought was "feel" was really audio feedback.

I've long thought that part of the "modulation" perception of road disc brakes has to do with auditory feedback as well...they just "sound" different.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be worse. I get home. Take my car out - a tuned WRX and I'm like "wtf is that noise to my wife"

She says "I told you it was noisy"

I said you drove this? It has no f@@king brakes. It should be off the road. Your dad drove it?

Pads. Discs and rotors - metal on metal.

There is a reason my wife does not touch my bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
ETA: I'm far from anonymous.

I would agree with that, Kiley Austin-Young
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Sep 14, 16 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad we can agree on something, AC
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
There are just a large number of luddite, curmudgeons here who resist change. I mean Tom A goes on and on...and on and on about his custom steel (or aluminum?) frame that performs as well as an S5. Blah blah. Whatever. Ride your old technology into the sunset. I applaud his persistence (though of all the things we waste time on here this seems a rather odd one to dig your feet into - as if anyone on this board has any influence on what manufacturers build) in the face of the beginnings of a sea of change in the industry.

The moment reputable data exists showing discs are faster, people will be clearing the garages and selling their children to fund a new stable of wheels and bikes. And those who don't...probably also believe the earth is flat.

ETA: also your blind belief in the advances of disc brakes, in the absence of data, is just as laughable. I bet you were an awesome cheerleader in high school though.

"Curmudgeon"? Yeah, I'm old...but surly and/or ill-tempered? Not so much.

"Luddite"? Not so much on that one either. I'm an engineer. Technological change is my bread and butter...but, technological change that is a mis-optimization is my mortal enemy :-P

Oh yeah...I think you might be surprised at how much influence the posts on ST can have in the cycling industry...seriously.

Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS HERE!!! [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have said, when you are offering the bike in one color, you should pick something more neutral.

I understand that TriRig has branded itself with this particular shade of orange. But Cannondale has also branded itself with a color - green - and they don't make all of their bikes green. Hell Bianchi doesn't even make all its bikes in celeste, though there are some who would say they should.

When a bike manufacturer offers a bike in a colorway that is not "down the middle," eg orange/black and not something more neutral, they almost invariably offer a second or third option, for the simple reason that when you go out on a limb with a color, not all riders want to go out on that limb with you.

It would be one thing if the orange/black design was an option on the Omni, but when it's the ONLY option? I think that's mistake.

BTW I think there is a LOT to like about this bike, and some have been way too critical of it. But yeah, it's not perfect (if such a thing could exist).

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS HERE!!! [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
As others have said, when you are offering the bike in one color, you should pick something more neutral.

I understand that TriRig has branded itself with this particular shade of orange. But Cannondale has also branded itself with a color - green - and they don't make all of their bikes green. Hell Bianchi doesn't even make all its bikes in celeste, though there are some who would say they should.

When a bike manufacturer offers a bike in a colorway that is not "down the middle," eg orange/black and not something more neutral, they almost invariably offer a second or third option, for the simple reason that when you go out on a limb with a color, not all riders want to go out on that limb with you.

It would be one thing if the orange/black design was an option on the Omni, but when it's the ONLY option? I think that's mistake.

BTW I think there is a LOT to like about this bike, and some have been way too critical of it. But yeah, it's not perfect (if such a thing could exist).

You could have spend 1/4 of the time it took you to write this post to see on their website that they're offering the bike in like 6 different colors. Or you could have just read this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:

BTW I think there is a LOT to like about this bike, and some have been way too critical of it.

Including you, I would say. ;)

http://www.tririg.com/...60/000_Store_778.jpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS HERE!!! [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are offering six different color decals. That's not the same. If you are going to need to apply decals, why not make the base colors light grey on black and allow Nick to put orange decals on his bike.

Aside from that, you still have orange rails on the saddle and orange accents on the bars and stem. Which would make me insane, personally, having such clashes on my bicycle.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS HERE!!! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the orange is just one particular sticker set on top of the clearcoat, which you can peel off and either leave off the bike (a pet peeve of mine, why would any of us want adhesive stickers on our aero stuff anyways - I peel them off my carbon wheels all the time) or replace with another color, then you are right, no issues here and a good way to go on colorway.

Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS HERE!!! [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
refthimos wrote:

BTW I think there is a LOT to like about this bike, and some have been way too critical of it.

Actually no.

As written, on his site, it indicates the PAINT is orange. And then consumers get to layer on stickers.

And if that's not true, it should be written to reflect.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again...he built a bike for himself. Hopefully you all like it too!

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS HERE!!! [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
refthimos wrote:

Actually no.

As written, on his site, it indicates the PAINT is orange. And then consumers get to layer on stickers.

And if that's not true, it should be written to reflect.

The bottom line is that orange/black is not the only option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh yeah.

Just like I could apply stickers all over my Specialized or Cervelo. Of course its not the only option.

But Nick offers one option with PAINT. And thats orange and black.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Random aside: what about hydraulic rim brakes with a third brake lever on one of the aero bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
The bottom line is that orange/black is not the only option.

Well if the orange is under the clearcoat, then it is the only option if you don't want to slap stickers on top of your brand new clearcoated frame (which add weight, can get ripped or otherwise peel off, etc).

And if stickers on top of clearcoat are acceptable in a sleek TT rig, then why not just offer orange in the stickers like the other colors and not give it non-removable status under the clearcoat?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many other bike manufacturers offer 6 color combinations at no extra charge?

Edit: Oh fu%$, I didn't realize they were decals you have to apply over the hideous orange paint. That sucks.
Last edited by: treyedr: Sep 14, 16 12:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next