Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peanut galleries are fine and all, when they are actually constructive or informative. Here it's just straight whining, make this place look like Letsrun.

Anyway, to add to what has already been said, can't wait to see what will be said about this bike...in 2 years, if it's still around. I'll say it's a pretty gutsy move from Tririg at the very least, because I know if I was on the market for a bike at that price point, I would lust on it but in good conscience could never buy it, too much uncertainty for such a purchase. Wish them all the luck.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Who carries more than 6 bottles?

Domestiques. And they carry them jammed down their fu*k^ng jersey. This thread needs a serious case of HTFU. More whining than I've seen in months.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this peanut gallery has been connstructive, as it's actually "encouraged" nick to switch his warranty from 1 year to 5 years.

or, maybe that WAS actually a typo.

Timtek wrote:
Domestiques. And they carry them jammed down their fu*k^ng jersey. This thread needs a serious case of HTFU. More whining than I've seen in months.

I'm not going to apologize for having an opinion. I would also say that my opinion is relatively informed. I've seen, worked on, and ridden quite a lot of high end bikes and have seen what works, what doesn't work, and what can be made to work easily. Among other things.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Sep 13, 16 17:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. The frame set has MORE than enough hydration options for racing and training; just because they aren't in the traditional spot doesn't make them nonexistent. Many other new frames only have one spot available on down/seat tube and fewer bosses elsewhere
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 13, 16 17:54
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [kgro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Cervelo is just a mythological item. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True on training, but again, is 5 water bottles not enough when people can also toss 3-4 additional bottles in their jersey pockets?!

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Right but I don't see any reason why having a down tube is inherently faster.

Could be the same reason why the Trimble was slower; and what attributes the beam bikes for reduced drag...They allow air to move through the legs to 'fill in' the low pressure area behind the rider. I was wondering the same thing when statements were made regarding drag reduction...Were they done with modeling which included a rider? It is also too bad that they did not also incorporate some suspension in the form of an elastomer sleeve on the seatmast or perhaps a bumper at the bottom of the seatmast.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I don't have a blind belief in disc brakes. I just know that betting against a good engineering team is not always a good idea. I also said we should wait and let the data show us. Reading skills are something we all learn in high school.

Yea, but there is nothing so damaging to good engineering than bad marketing...and that seems to describe most marketing these days.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I thought the video on the Tririg site is quite interesting since it shows the bottle bosses and makes it a lot more obvious where the bottle cages could potentially go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uziVTZfEn1Q

The more I look at it, the more I think it's really impressive with potential for tons of hydration in training and a cleaner setup for racing. So the engineer in me likes this bike a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Omni has three ideal points for fluid storage. Two behind the saddle and one BTA. If you prefer a different cage, you can certainly swap them - Kappa uses a standard interface, so you could mount any cage you like.

If you need a fourth spot, the frame bosses are there. If a standard bottle is not to your liking, you could use an aero bottle as well. If three standard bottles + one aero bottle does not satisfy your fluid carriage needs, then you are outside what we consider ordinary athletic considerations for a long course athlete, particularly on a supported ride like an Ironman race. Of course, if you insist on five round bottles, then Omni may not be for you.

Storage is meant primarily to be done with the integrated. You could also mount a small saddle bag between your saddle and the Beta carrier, by adjusting Beta rearward. And if that were still not enough, you could use the seatpost bosses for additional storage options.

That is our recommended setup. But there are lots of variants an athlete could choose, given the many boss locations on Omni.

Love the fluid storage solution for the Omni, for any ironman distance race I prefer two normal bottles on the bike where BTA is a must since I can get any bottle given to me during the race fitted there and easily drink while still in the aero position. Seriously if you would draft behind me you would have a hard time to notice that I'm drinking from my BTA. Behind the sadle (non-aero bottles) can be setup faster than a frame based bottle cage (in most cases, per my understanding). Given my requirement of using standard bottles (supported races..) behind the seat kinda makes the best option as the most aero option. Indeed it would be cumbersome to drink from, but I only drink from the BTA bottle and switches only once, when it's empty. Must admit that I would miss a third bottle for hotter and longer training rides but that's easily fixed with two bottles behind the seat. And racing comes first.

Being 195cm/6'4 tall I'm happy it fits me perfect. Can actually go lower than I can today and still have 51.5cm of reach on size L. Big like.

Removable front derailleur Awesome!!! Why don't all TT-bikes have that? Been living in Switzerland for the last two years and now moving back to Sweden I see hardly any need to use anything smaller than 54/28 :-)

Interesting to see the fixed QR's solution. Racing professional I can easily admit if I would have a flat during a race...the prolonged time it would take to change the tube wouldn't be my biggest problem... I.e race would be over anyway. So going faster in a best case scenario is something I prefer much more.

A bigger bentobox would for me be much more needed than integrated fluid-storage.. The fluid-storage is IMO a PITA to keep clean, meanwhile the bentobox would be perfect for stocking 10 gels (if it fits in it).

A bit skeptical too the longevity of the frame, but find it a bit mean to rant about it on a tri-forum, before athletes have actually ride on it outside. If I had 5000 USD over I would easily purchase a frame :)

Impressed that Nick have features that other frame manufacturers should have had a long time ago (removable front derailleur)

Quote | Reply
A couple of quick thoughts.

Firstly, kudos to anyone putting out a product which stretches the design envelope.

I actually most like that he's got rid of skewers. Skewers are ridiculous for triathletes - huge obstacles pushing out in the wind so that you can have a racing tyre-change. They don't make sense. This solution makes sense and I hope every new bike adopts this solution.

The orange hurts my eyes. What's wrong with black and white?

The bento is good, if it's a usable plastic. More of these on bikes please.

"We are in the process of completing a formal study of the final production version of Omni in the wind tunnel."

I'm sure it puts out good numbers, but until he shows us his version of the data, it's just eyeballs. And until there's independent data against a P5, the P5 is faster.

That said, Nick had a lot of criticisms of the Ventum when it came out, and they related to aerodynamics. Given that the Ventum completely lacks in verifiable data with a consistent protocol, let alone one with a rider, there are probably gains over that bike. Are they worth the cost of losing 1.4l of hydration between the arms and having to slow for refills? Not sure.

I like the front end. If it fits you (and it should fit most), it's a very good solution. I also very much like a no-cut fork. Yes please.

It's expensive, but what in triathlon isn't? If anything, expensive bikes with crazy designs push down the value of two triangle UCI legals by making them seem boring.

1x is the future.

Rim brakes forever.

TL:DR in God we trust, all others bring data.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it -really- matter what the wind tunnel shows?
Does it matter if it's 30 seconds slower or faster over an Ironman distance (and would those tests be repeatable) for the average rider, compared to a P5??
I believe even Rappstar said that all the 'super bikes' are so close it doesn't matter, its more about all the other stuff - your position, helmet, etc.

Even if he does in fact release tunnel data, it's just going to be picked apart for whatever reason and thus won't mean anything. It'll either be he picked the wrong tunnel, he didn't have a rider, he tested the wrong yaw, wrong wheels, wrong tires, etc...

I think the bike looks awesome, but I'm not too keen on being one of the $5k testers... :(
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Sep 14, 16 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly, especially when I have a NP2 frame with lifetime warranty that cost me about $1500
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 14, 16 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
1x is the future.

I don't get this. I'm a spinner with a preferred cadence of ~100rpm. I use a 50/34 with an 11/28 and find myself running out of gears in the courses I do. Can't imagine limiting myself further.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
georged wrote:

1x is the future.

I don't get this. I'm a spinner with a preferred cadence of ~100rpm. I use a 50/34 with an 11/28 and find myself running out of gears in the courses I do. Can't imagine limiting myself further.

That's probably because much like tubulars vs. clinchers and disc vs. rim, 1x vs. 2x is an emotional debate more than it is a logical one. If you prefer 100 rpms and ride hilly terrain and do not have an FT north of 5 W/kg, you aren't going to be content with 1x right now unless you roll a 10-42T cassette with a 44 on the front, and even then you'll probably complain about suboptimal cadence due to larger gaps between sprockets. It is of course the future because we'll soon have 10T and 9T little cogs on the roads along with 12 speeds to minimize gaps.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you tell me about this NP2 frameset you got for $1,500?
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [TriDave79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDave79 wrote:
Impressed that Nick have features that other frame manufacturers should have had a long time ago (removable front derailleur)

Almost 30 y ago, Hooker was building bikes with a removable front derailleur hanger (and a hidden Allen bolt to hold the front wheel on, cables routed through the bars and stem into the frame, etc.). No Hirth joint, though!
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [TriDave79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much agree with your whole post. This frame appears really well thought out given some of the obvious constraints he is working under. The geo appears sound given only three sizes to begin with and targeting as much of the market as possible. Surprised at some of the vitriol that seems based on the expectation that there be no design/production compromises for a small company releasing their first frame.

Only in triathlon would people complain that a bike with 6 water bottle bosses isn't enough.

Like others have mentioned, the make or break here is going to be in production quality and service. $5k for a frameset is a huge ball of cabbage. The user experience needs to be perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, ST classifieds!! fully built new P2 through a STer who is also a dealer for $1,900 and sold parts to get frame down to about $1,500 and built it up from there. Full warranty and great deal!
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably already know this....but that was a fantastic deal seeing as how P2s list for $2800.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
Like others have mentioned, the make or break here is going to be in production quality and service. $5k for a frameset is a huge ball of cabbage. The user experience needs to be perfect.

Yeah. And that's exactly where the vitriol comes from. Nick has a well documented history of production problems with the items he sells. Which is not typically a problem - Zipp, Trek, etc have production problems. But Nick is also very well known for being a supreme asshole when something goes wrong with an item he's sold you (reference cracking alpha-c bars, soda can shims for alpha x, etc). Who in their right mind, aware of this history, would risk buying a $5k product from this guy? Especially when there are so many other options from reputable manufacturers with proven track records of supporting their customers.

A number of people on this forum took some conversations over to facebook about this thread. In summary, karmas a bitch.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He picked a good tunnel (San Diego). What remains to be seen is if his protocol is sound. There's one photo on his website of the prototype in the tunnel with the bars plugged and the aero extensions horizontal which is a good start. He could potentially put the exact same Alpha X on a P5-3 with an Omega X. Hopefully he also has aero data with a rider on.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
treyedr wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is wrong with the new Flo CC's in the rain? I was thinking about buying some this month, but would like to know about potential issues.

They just are terrible in the rain, and the carbon track braking in general lags the market. The tracks also scratch easily in wet conditions as debris accumulates on surface and sticks in the pads. Flo exhorts the customer to keep the track clear of debris, as if that's going to happen in inclement weather.

There has been one complaint of this issue in total. That complaint was taken care of. You're posting anonymously, but I'm quite confident we have already resolved this issue.

The one set of wheels that were in question in this case, did not require a full refund/replacement, but we did it anyway. I'm not sure what else we could have done in that case.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't say I'd tried them -- I have simply heard of the issue and seen it close up -- in fact, it was reported on the Flo thread as well -- and it's an issue I doubt is isolated. It is totally fine though -- there is room in the market for an otherwise solid budget wheel that is aerodynamic but simply does not have the braking/inclement weather performance of wheels that are 50% more expensive. You've filled that niche. It's a good thing. But if you can afford to spend $8k on a bike, you can typically afford to spend 50% more and pick up some Zipps.

ETA: I'm far from anonymous. I have several pictures of myself in my profile, and my prior username was my first name and last two initials. I prefer not to appear in Google searches for a variety of reasons. If you have an issue with my opinion, that's fine, but it's not because I am hiding my identity.
Last edited by: PubliusValerius: Sep 14, 16 9:19
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
I didn't say I'd tried them -- I have simply heard of the issue and seen it close up -- in fact, it was reported on the Flo thread as well -- and it's an issue I doubt is isolated. It is totally fine though -- there is room in the market for an otherwise solid budget wheel that is aerodynamic but simply does not have the braking/inclement weather performance of wheels that are 50% more expensive. You've filled that niche. It's a good thing. But if you can afford to spend $8k on a bike, you can typically afford to spend 50% more and pick up some Zipps.

ETA: I'm far from anonymous. I have several pictures of myself in my profile, and my prior username was my first name and last two initials. I prefer not to appear in Google searches for a variety of reasons. If you have an issue with my opinion, that's fine, but it's not because I am hiding my identity.

Again, there has been one issue "bad" enough for the customer to contact us and we did a full refund/replacement even though it wasn't required. So if there are other "issues" as you are suggesting, our customers certainly aren't concerned enough to contact us about it.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply

Prev Next