Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And you have to deal with the obnoxious 15% restocking fee if you don't like it after it arrives--a mere $750 gamble for the frame set. Oh wait, I stand corrected as I read more carefully, frames cannot be returned at all.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
And you have to deal with the obnoxious 15% restocking fee if you don't like it after it arrives--a mere $750 gamble for the frame set. Oh wait, I stand corrected as I read more carefully, frames cannot be returned at all.

That is way to big of a gamble. Compare it to Ventum's return policy. You can return a Ventum in 30 days for a full refund.

https://shop.ventumracing.com/...on-and-return-policy

You may return your item for a full refund, including the original shipping costs, within 30 days of receipt of your order. To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it. Any item not in its original condition, that is damaged or missing parts for reasons not due to our error will be issued a partial refund, or denied return and re-shipped to you at Ventum’s discretion.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

Keeping it classy, TriRig

I recently had an issue where my Specialized frame was damaged. More aptly, I damaged it, or at least, I was responsible for the damage. Specialized stood behind me and backed me all the way through the process, even though it wasn't their fault as a company or a defect in their product. Imagine installing the wrong bottom bracket adapter in the TriRig Omni and ruining the frame, because you're a moron, and then asking Nick to send over a replacement module gratis...just not going to happen with this product/company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Most buyers will only get to see the bike online, and in fairness, that probably does not give a bike like this full credit.

This is one of those things that goes both ways. The stock images and polished presentation of this thing could likely give the product too much credit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This I know nothing about. I was more looking at it from the perspective that companies like this, who are going the direct route have a real challenge in that people can't touch, look at and feel these bikes.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
I don't think disc brakes are that close to full adoption. I know they are making headway but I don't see it happening yet. One thing people don't talk about is how hard it is to breakdown a bike with hydraulic brakes.

Yup and that's why I'll (probably) never buy a tri bike with disc brakes. I travel to a lot of races. Unless your disc brake super bike is somehow 30secs/40km faster than my rim brake super bike (good luck, it's not happening) I'm not changing.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can sort of understand that with Specialized though because they made a mess of their bottom bracket standards with their knock-off BB30 (OSBB) which they sometimes changed more than once within a given model year. In fact, they made such a mess that sometimes they don't even know which frame accepts which variation of OSBB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right and with such a model, the return policy needs to be stout. Here, it's non-existent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
TeamBarenaked wrote:
Wow, that is some super negative ranting for a product that presumably you have not even seen first-hand. It comes across as if you must have caught this dude fucking your wife.

Just trying to balance out the other first responders whose product reviews basically amount to Salazar hagiography.

Not to endorse or condemn your specific comments but I always find the pervasiveness of 'fanboy' culture in regards to commercial entities to be intriguing regardless of the specific market. I work in the space industry, and you would swear that Elon Musk is the second coming of Jesus by the way that 'normal' people have embraced him and SpaceX as a whole. When they lost their launcher the other week there were large swathes of people on the internet with absolutely no personal stake in the company acting as if they had lost a family member.

The space rant aside, the same goes for Apple, Samsung, TriRig, pretty much anything else. These are for-profit companies that exist to make a profit off of you. Sure, you can have a founder who is passionate and inspiring to some, but at the end of the day this is about making money not enriching peoples lives.

Not to say you should completely throw him under the bus, but I approach every new product regardless of origin with a healthy degree of skepticism. We are dealing with manufacturers who's very existence depends on the perpetuation of the idea that what you own is inadequate and must be replaced with something newer and better, regardless of if they were the one who convinced you to buy the thing you are replacing in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. It reminds me of a cross between the old BP Stealth and a Lotus if they hooked up & had a kid. IMO it's a fugly kid but hey iothers will think it's beautiful I'm sure. The forks and shielding on the rear wheel look better.

Pretty tricked out with his brakes/bars.

Pretty ridiculous for training though, no frame mounted bottles which limits the amount you can bring. hopefully you're not riding in the middle of nowhere. ona 95F day with high humidity and/or aren't a heavy sweater. But then not having 2 frame cages is a HUGE pet peeve of mine bc behind the seat bottles are lame.

Will be interesting to see the aero paper, see what that says how it was done and what the numbers really say vs other bikes. Wonder how much of that is frame vs bars. If it's against a P5-6 but you can build a P2/3 & P5-3 up as fast or faster than the P5-6 does it really matter if it beats the P5-6?

Anyway some thoughts I had on it. Good for him for taking this step, not sure it's a game changer in the scope of things (bars/bikes) coming out

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Yup and that's why I'll (probably) never buy a tri bike with disc brakes. I travel to a lot of races. Unless your disc brake super bike is somehow 30secs/40km faster than my rim brake super bike (good luck, it's not happening) I'm not changing.

Everyone keeps saying this but I have faith in a good engineering team. I think we will be surprised once disc brake tri bikes come out. Instead of sticking our heads in the sand, we should be optimistic and let the data prove it.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not optimistic at all. Why? First there's not much aero fruit left to pick over existing super bikes set up with best practices. Second, it's become more and more apparent that the only thing that really matters is drag inside of 10 degrees. If we were going to wider yaws I would say maybe there's potential for how disc brakes could allow for potentially better high-yaw designs (wheels in particular). Third, with Specialized's new Roubiax it is clear that potential time savings from comfort are pretty minimal. I, for one, thought comfort was going to be the next big thing in tri bikes but for Specialized to show a 10 second improvement over 40k over what is almost certainly cobbles... that just tells me that there isn't much to gain for tri bikes going over relatively smooth surfaces.

Once you're inside 10 degrees of yaw you have four courses: be narrow, have proper tube shapes, manage airflow coming off the wheels, and manage airflow around the rider. Consider that a P4 is probably the fastest bike available to fast riders at the moment. That's kind of nuts. Cervelo attempted to manage airflow around the rider with the P5 (that's the purpose of the funky seat tube) and didn't gain much over the P4. Otherwise the last area of contention is the fork, specifically around the brake. How much airflow can you free up there? Maybe a watt? Will you lose that with the disc brake itself?

Here's a design I could see working with disc brakes: an exaggerated version of QR's "shift" tubes with a "righty" fork. How much could you gain with that?

If you really want to change brake standards and improve aero you should go to drum brakes like what Rafael has done:

Even with an optimized version of that I'd be shocked... shocked... if you eek'd out more than 5 watts vs a Speed Concept. Now what about what I've said earlier about the Omni potentially saving 5w vs something like a Speed Concept/P5? Well that's because I think removing the down tube has the potential for aero savings but that's completely aside from rim vs disc brakes.

At this point, I'm convinced the future for the tri bike market... possibly the bike market in general... is to bring the price of performance down. There were some innovative production and assembly techniques shown off at Eurobike and at Taipei last year though few noticed because they weren't featured on halo products. I could see, five years from now, someone buying a new "semi" super bike (e.g. old Trek SC 7, QR Elite, etc) for less than $1,000.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
One thing people don't talk about is how hard it is to breakdown a bike with hydraulic brakes.

Totally agree -- this is one of the major down sides. But given how few triathletes can actually break down a bicycle to begin with, I don't see this as a problem for a mass market that seems to be crying out for this 'solution'. My prediction is that disc brakes will not only be a boon for manufacturers, but also for bike shops, who will gain even more service business from consumers who don't know how to bleed or even adjust a hydraulic brake, disassemble/assemble for travel, etc.

Notwithstanding all that, I have one word to say to triathletes who say they will ride the rim forever: bullshit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If disc brakes are as fast or faster than a P5 or Speed Concept....then what?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then we can have a conversation about the merits of switching. Until then it would be nice to go at least two weeks without another tired discussion about disc brakes on tri bikes.

As for the topic of this thread, I kind of like the look of the frame. Not a huge fan of the graphics, but at least you can pick a color so you're not stuck with a Halloween theme. He nailed a lot of cool little details IMO (like the skewers, hidden bento box, brake cover fairings, etc). It's above my budget, but I hope he does well with it and is able to grow. I'm wondering when we'll see a pro on it as he has a number of athletes using his other components.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are just a large number of luddite, curmudgeons here who resist change. I mean Tom A goes on and on...and on and on about his custom steel (or aluminum?) frame that performs as well as an S5. Blah blah. Whatever. Ride your old technology into the sunset. I applaud his persistence (though of all the things we waste time on here this seems a rather odd one to dig your feet into - as if anyone on this board has any influence on what manufacturers build) in the face of the beginnings of a sea of change in the industry.

The moment reputable data exists showing discs are faster, people will be clearing the garages and selling their children to fund a new stable of wheels and bikes. And those who don't...probably also believe the earth is flat.

ETA: also your blind belief in the advances of disc brakes, in the absence of data, is just as laughable. I bet you were an awesome cheerleader in high school though.

"One Line Robert"
Last edited by: wsrobert: Sep 13, 16 12:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Once the next Cervelo and Specialized tri bikes have discs, there will be no turning back. It's coming soon!

I don't understand the need. Since using a HED Jet+ Black rim I have nearly bit it 1/2 a dozen times locking up the rear wheel.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
If disc brakes are as fast or faster than a P5 or Speed Concept....then what?

If it's as fast I still won't buy them. Easier to travel with and wrench on rim brakes (I have an mtb with hydro disc brakes fwiw). I'd be willing to give up... probably up to 10secs per 40k to stick with rim brakes just for the ease of travel... and rather than buy those 10 seconds I'd rather just spend that money on time in the tunnel or a custom tailored aero suit (bio whatever is has a shop only an hour from me).
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a blind belief in disc brakes. I just know that betting against a good engineering team is not always a good idea. I also said we should wait and let the data show us. Reading skills are something we all learn in high school.

Last edited by: BryanD: Sep 13, 16 13:01
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Once the next Cervelo and Specialized tri bikes have discs, there will be no turning back. It's coming soon!

I don't understand the need. Since using a HED Jet+ Black rim I have nearly bit it 1/2 a dozen times locking up the rear wheel.

I had a set of Jet+ blacks (6/9) and almost immediately sold them because the braking was too good. I couldn't get them to modulate with the levers on my tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I had a set of Jet+ blacks (6/9) and almost immediately sold them because the braking was too good. I couldn't get them to modulate with the levers on my tri bike.

So did you sell them?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only real reason to resist discs is the thought of 1000 bikes on a course all squealing their brakes and me having to hear it.

Triathletes as a general population do not understand the word "maintenance". Bent rotors, dirty/oily rotor, dirty pads etc. will be the norm. oh jeez, I'm cringing just thinking about it. Nothing pisses me off more than getting rotor squeal on the tail.
Last edited by: zachboring: Sep 13, 16 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Bro. That's the primary argument for disc brakes: improved modulation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the good engineering team designing rim brake bikes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Bro. That's the primary argument for disc brakes: improved modulation.

This has nothing to do with modulation, it has to with the fact that I am used to jamming on carbon rims because the braking surface is so bad comparatively. Just instinctual from years and years of carbon.

Quote Reply

Prev Next