Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
...this one guy designed who also used to design and build lightsabers.

Wait. What?

After some digging, found this: http://www.saberz.com/

No integration for these to take out scum of the earth drafters while on course?

I trust that guy with what I put between my legs.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I right in thinking this thing's bento box has rigid sides? I wouldn't want that at all. Silicone sides act rigid and aero when you're not using it, but flex out when you need to open it up more to get what's inside, especially with one hand. I need a bento that can bulge. mmmmhmmmm.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL

Now I have to build a bike themed around drafters being "Rebel Scum" hahahahaha
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right... I don't know what I'm talking about with my fit... It's not like I've had an approximation of this for for 10 years.

It's not a view it's statement of fact. It won't fit my position.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Finally, a progressive frame where the maker comes right out and says it's ok to ride it on a trainer. THANK YOU. Now just put bottle bosses all over the thing so people can add what they want if they want.

Ventum has said you can ride the their bike on any trainer.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the bike is very well thought out and as others have mentioned, there is a lot of attention paid to the low hanging fruit to make the bike as aero as possible. It seems like a job very well done. Fit seems to be in line with the typical frames nowadays. Just like the Ventum it will be a design that attracts emotions... love it or hate it. I think it will increase the competition in that segment a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
I actually suspect Nick has picked some of the remaining low-hanging fruit. I claims that with an initial 3d printed prototype he managed to beat a P5 by ~5 watts. Not bad. He also references ~5 watts of savings for the skewers. That seems a bit high to me, elsewhere I've seen 2-3 watts, but still there's savings to be had. Just look at the detail Trek put into the skewers of the Speed Concept. There may also be savings from the 1x configuration. It's completely speculative but there's a chance that this bike is 5-10w faster than a similarly equipped P5.

If that ends up being the case that's actually pretty significant.

Remember that the Ventum is also faster than the P5 until you put someone on it. Bikes don't ride themselves.

Right but I don't see any reason why having a down tube is inherently faster. We'll have to wait for aero data I suppose. Hopefully Nick is cognizant of the wrath that the aero deities here on the forum can inflict. Looks like he did his testing at the San Diego low speed wind tunnel so that's a good start.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
I think the bike is very well thought out and as others have mentioned, there is a lot of attention paid to the low hanging fruit to make the bike as aero as possible. It seems like a job very well done. Fit seems to be in line with the typical frames nowadays. Just like the Ventum it will be a design that attracts emotions... love it or hate it. I think it will increase the competition in that segment a bit.

What "low hanging fruit" was there in 'super bike' design? I'm very curious.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hutchy_belfast wrote:
Does anyone else think 1 year warranty for a $5k frame is damn stingy?

Typo. Five year warranty.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, for those commenting on colors, there are options via decals (shown at the bottom of the Features page):

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
If this bike is 5 watts faster than a P5 frameset, that is pretty substantial. If I cant hit 16cm of drop off a 78cm seat height, that is a deal breaker.
Dave--I agree that 5W(+?) is pretty significant if true. The fit issues would worry me too, but I wouldn't expect it to be an issue even though I haven't looked too closely. Really no qualms with the design yet. But where's the data? Its absence surprises me.
And the bike (frame) market is more competitive than the bike accessories. Why jump in now? I get the design is probably a good one, but from the $$ side v. competition, I find it surprising and risky. Good on Nick for pulling everything off to this point. But that's more of what I mean when I say I don't understand why this bike was made. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No stealth or gray? I know its been played to death but at least you can always match with black.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
No stealth or gray? I know its been played to death but at least you can always match with black.
Maybe we will offer the illustrator files for the highly-motivated.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks utterly hideous. I hate it. The chassis is actually the finest looking of the Lotus-inspired set, which isn't saying a lot for a style that just doesn't work for a lot of people, including me. The orange colors are terrible. I don't know why he couldn't have just made the base color scheme a light grey, or something else neutral, and then allowed the one person in the world who wants that orange -- Nick Salazar himself -- to apply those awful decals.

Aerodynamically, I think it could be interesting. I'm sure it will test well -- the story he is telling about this frame is the same one that's been told about the Lotus and the Ventum, not that we've seen reliable data yet. The fork is sort of a half Dimond superfork / half old 3T one.

I think he came as close to nailing the fit for as many people as possible as he could -- with only three molds of the frame and a fixed stem length, anyways. Ironically, because this bike is offered in only three SKUs, it more than most others needs the additional flexibility that Zipp provides in small, medium, and large offerings of the Vuka Stealth front end. At any rate, it happens to fit me acceptably -- not as well as the Canyon, but well enough -- and that's a rarity among these new orthodontist bikes.

I expected the $5,000 price point, bolt non occlusion, removable FD hanger, bosses everywhere, integrated Omega brakes, a compartment for the junction box, etc. These are all classic Salazar, which shouldn't necessarily diminish them, because in total they are important. But of course, they reflect the details that matter to Nick, not necessarily all that matters to triathletes. The hydration setup is totally impractical for many of us who need to race a 112 mile time trial or train in remote areas for several hours -- and sort of by definition in much of the world, you are in remote areas when you are riding for several hours. Nick doesn't understand this. That cage behind the saddle, the Kappa -- it won't launch bottles, but it will make your life hell, and possibly kill you, if you ever need to reach back there and pull something out while you're riding.

I didn't expect a bento storage solution integrated into the top tube, which looks more spacious than others of its kind...not sure, hard to tell, but I guess it partially negates the whiff on hydration. I didn't expect an integrated Silca tool with a push lock or a hirth joint in the steerer, which seem like interesting integrations...if they work. Apparently the manufacturing required to product effective hirth joints is cumbersome and difficult. These are exactly the types of processes and products that are easily bungled in a first generation design. The thing doesn't even have a patent yet.

Which brings me to my next point...what happens when this thing fails? And there are probably more potential failure items / points in this bike than any other debut superbike in recent history -- from a one man shop with a history of products that fail on athletes at the worst times (e.g. Kona) and a track record of ambivalence towards those customers / problems when they do happen. Who is going to be the $5k guinea pig on this thing? Any takers? Count me out.

So with these concerns, you'd expect Nick to back his products with some sort of long term guarantee, right? Wrong. He goes to market with a 1 year (very limited) warranty...(Edit: no changed to five years...because, "typo".) For a $5,000 frameset. This is a problem. This has always been a problem. A buddy of mine couldn't get his Alpha X extension clamps securely on his gamma extensions, and Nick told him to cut up a soda can and layer it around the extension in the clamp to act as a 'shim' of sorts. A $1,000 front end solution needs a Bud light shim to function properly? Stop. If you want to sell big boy products at big boy prices, you need to put on your big boy pants and back the customer when those products don't work properly or are damaged.

Speaking of first generation products described as "bomb proof" by Nick that happen to have serious quality issues, Flo's come stock on the $8,000 complete build. I am not sure who rides a bike this expensive and is content to roll around on Flos. Oh, yes, I do. Nick. Because he doesn't ride in adverse conditions like rain.

Anyways, this bike is about to be irrelevant. Six years he spent developing a bike architected around his Omega rim brake, and in three years, no serious racing bicycle will have rim brakes anymore. I am setting the over/under on TriRig bankruptcy at 18 months.
Last edited by: PubliusValerius: Sep 13, 16 9:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's great to see another non uci design come to market. This is a very clean design. It is very expensive but either way, I'm not the intended market. The size medium seems a little tall but you will always have people complaining about geometry.

I actually think the bigger outlier is the small, damn that's a short reach bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
It looks utterly hideous. I hate it. ........

Anyways, this bike is about to be irrelevant. Six years he spent developing a bike architected around his Omega rim brake, and in three years, no serious racing bicycle will have rim brakes anymore. I am setting the over/under on TriRig bankruptcy at 18 months.

Wow, that is some super negative ranting for a product that presumably you have not even seen first-hand. It comes across as if you must have caught this dude fucking your wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgive my ignorance, but what is wrong with the new Flo CC's in the rain? I was thinking about buying some this month, but would like to know about potential issues.

As far as the Omni is concerned, I like several features and see other manufacturers incorporating them in the future. The integrated skewers are something I would love on my bike. As others commented on the hydration, ya...that needs some tweaking. If the Kappa cage is anywhere near as tight as an X-lab gorilla behind the seat then I'd be replacing that with another brand.
Last edited by: treyedr: Sep 13, 16 9:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
Wow, that is some super negative ranting for a product that presumably you have not even seen first-hand. It comes across as if you must have caught this dude fucking your wife.

Just trying to balance out the other first responders whose product reviews basically amount to Salazar hagiography.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treyedr wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is wrong with the new Flo CC's in the rain? I was thinking about buying some this month, but would like to know about potential issues.

They just are terrible in the rain, and the carbon track braking in general lags the market. The tracks also scratch easily in wet conditions as debris accumulates on surface and sticks in the pads. Flo exhorts the customer to keep the track clear of debris, as if that's going to happen in inclement weather.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the site...

"We are in the process of completing a formal study of the final production version of Omni in the wind tunnel. We will publish our data in early November. For now, we can show you this teaser, from an earlier study that compared our first SLA prototype to a leading competitor."
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 13, 16 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
He goes to market with a 1 year (very limited) warranty...(Edit: no changed to five years...because, "typo".) For a $5,000 frameset. This is a problem.

Must have really fat fingers....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqjF7HKSaaI

[edited for clickable link because lazy]

tweets.
Last edited by: siegfried08: Sep 13, 16 10:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think disc brakes are that close to full adoption. I know they are making headway but I don't see it happening yet. One thing people don't talk about is how hard it is to breakdown a bike with hydraulic brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once the next Cervelo and Specialized tri bikes have discs, there will be no turning back. It's coming soon!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is some super negative ranting for a product that presumably you have not even seen first-hand.

This may be the one thing that seems like a small thing but really is a very BIG thing with this sell direct model - particularly for smaller operations. Few people will actually get to see this bike in person.

I assume no trade shows, like Interbike. Most buyers will only get to see the bike online, and in fairness, that probably does not give a bike like this full credit.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next